• 2 Post By sdbrewer

post #1 of 17 Old 04-18-2018, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Atmos 3.1.2 ?

Hey,

I currently have a 3.1 setup. My living room does not allow for surrounds on the rear wall (open plan living room) and my two toddlers will only give me a heart attack if I place them on stands....

So basically I have a two large B&W floor standers with a center speaker and a sub.

I am thinking of buying a pair of Klipsch RP-140SA up-firing dolby atmos speakers. I can easily place them on my main floor standers out of the way.

My question is, is a 3.1.2 setup worth it?

3.1 vs 3.1.2, will there be a real audible benefit (when playing atmos content) and will it be worth the money I spend on these Atoms speakers?

Thanks!

Last edited by kabraal; 04-18-2018 at 09:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-18-2018, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I too would be interested in what others say about this.
I have the speakers from my last house, which was 5.1.4.

But moved out of there, got married and had 3.1 system for awhile here.
Wiring things for 5.1.2 or 5.1.4, but still curious.
post #3 of 17 Old 04-18-2018, 09:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Have never listened to 3.1.2 although I’m sure it would expand on what you have now. Couldn’t hurt anything

Having that 3D effect Atmos gives you is quite an immersive setup once you have your speakers positioned properly.

| Eqmt | Vizio 4K M50-E1 | Yamaha RX-V681 | iNUKE 3kdsp x2 | Emotiva BasX A-100 | miniDSP UMIK-1 | Monolith M1060 | Monolith USB DAC |
| Sub | Trilithon | Stonehenge Variant Subwoofer - 18” - 9ft³ - 19Hz | Marty | Microcube 390HO - 22Hz | Monolith THX Ultra 12 | Monolith THX Select 10 |
| Spkrs | HSU CCB8 x3 | SVS Prime Elevation x2 | Polk S15 |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 04-19-2018, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8558 Post(s)
Liked: 5757
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabraal View Post
Hey,

I currently have a 3.1 setup. My living room does not allow for surrounds on the rear wall (open plan living room) and my two toddlers will only give me a heart attack if I place them on stands....

So basically I have a two large B&W floor standers with a center speaker and a sub.

I am thinking of buying a pair of Klipsch RP-140SA up-firing dolby atmos speakers. I can easily place them on my main floor standers out of the way.

3.1 vs 3.1.2, will there be a real audible benefit (when playing atmos content) and will it be worth the money I spend on these Atoms speakers?

Thanks!
Can you put in ceiling speakers?

How about Elevation speakers like those SVS uses for Atmos?

Here is a recent article on 2.1.2 which would indicate that yes, 3.1.2 would be an upgrade.

https://www.avsforum.com/i-used-dolby...what-happened/

Geoff A. J., California
post #5 of 17 Old 05-06-2019, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am considering this very thing. Recently moved and the new place would be difficult to wire for rear/surround speakers. I'd have to run the wires on the outside of the house in conduit. While that's not an impossible task and if this 3.1.2 system I have planned fails to deliver a suitable end product it's something I could do, it's an awful lot of work...

I am on a budget here, so I'm looking at the Sony STR-DH790 + Sony's SS-series speakers - 2x floor standing + atmos, 1x center, 1x sub.

Reading here and a few other places, this seems like a reasonable way to get some surround-ish audio without having to run wire in conduit all over the exterior of the house.

If you have any red flags to raise or alternatives to suggest that might fit in a similar budget, I'd love to hear them.
post #6 of 17 Old 05-06-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible_Tom View Post
I am considering this very thing. Recently moved and the new place would be difficult to wire for rear/surround speakers. I'd have to run the wires on the outside of the house in conduit. While that's not an impossible task and if this 3.1.2 system I have planned fails to deliver a suitable end product it's something I could do, it's an awful lot of work...

I am on a budget here, so I'm looking at the Sony STR-DH790 + Sony's SS-series speakers - 2x floor standing + atmos, 1x center, 1x sub.

Reading here and a few other places, this seems like a reasonable way to get some surround-ish audio without having to run wire in conduit all over the exterior of the house.

If you have any red flags to raise or alternatives to suggest that might fit in a similar budget, I'd love to hear them.
If I have my math right the Sony towers+Atmos modules are $400 total, the center is $150, the receiver is $350 and a Sony subwoofer is $200.

Problem with your plan is that upfiring modules have very poor performance according to AVS members who've tried it and the receiver is too expensive and the two most important speakers, center and sub, are sub standard.

You'd be far far better off forgetting the Atmos modules and getting higher quality 3.1 speakers for your $1100.

Three quality speakers and sub; free returns if not impressed.

https://rslspeakers.com/products/cg3-bookshelf-speaker/

https://rslspeakers.com/products/new...enter-channel/

https://rslspeakers.com/speedwoofer10s/

Factory refurb receiver with Atmos should you want to try 2 channel atmos with small height speakers later.

https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...tml#!condition

Geoff A. J., California
post #7 of 17 Old 05-06-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
If I have my math right the Sony towers+Atmos modules are $400 total, the center is $150, the receiver is $350 and a Sony subwoofer is $200.

Problem with your plan is that upfiring modules have very poor performance according to AVS members who've tried it and the receiver is too expensive and the two most important speakers, center and sub, are sub standard.

You'd be far far better off forgetting the Atmos modules and getting higher quality 3.1 speakers for your $1100.

Three quality speakers and sub; free returns if not impressed.

https://rslspeakers.com/products/cg3-bookshelf-speaker/

https://rslspeakers.com/products/new...enter-channel/

https://rslspeakers.com/speedwoofer10s/

Factory refurb receiver with Atmos should you want to try 2 channel atmos with small height speakers later.

https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...tml#!condition
That's a good deal on the AVR for sure.

Aesthetically, my installation really calls for floorstanding units as the main L/R speakers. That RSL stuff looks good though, and definitely worth of consideration - especially that sub.
post #8 of 17 Old 05-06-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
That's a good deal on the AVR for sure.

Aesthetically, my installation really calls for floorstanding units as the main L/R speakers. That RSL stuff looks good though, and definitely worth of consideration - especially that sub.
My sister in law has these and they are actually far better than the price would suggest.

The center too is clear with dialog.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107TSI...300-Black.html

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107CS1...ck.html?tp=189

Geoff A. J., California
post #9 of 17 Old 05-06-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
My sister in law has these and they are actually far better than the price would suggest.

The center too is clear with dialog.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107TSI...300-Black.html

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107CS1...ck.html?tp=189
Any experience with the new(ish?) Jamo Studio series like the S 805/807/809+Atmos and S 81/83 CEN?

I am nearly sold on that Speedwoofer from your first reply.
post #10 of 17 Old 05-06-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Any experience with the new(ish?) Jamo Studio series like the S 805/807/809+Atmos and S 81/83 CEN?

No but these guys seemed impressed.

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...-system-review

And these guys can be very harsh in their criticism, (google their review of the new KLH Albany).

https://www.whathifi.com/jamo/s-805/review

Geoff A. J., California
post #11 of 17 Old 05-07-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
No but these guys seemed impressed.

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...-system-review

And these guys can be very harsh in their criticism, (google their review of the new KLH Albany).

https://www.whathifi.com/jamo/s-805/review
I went with the Jamo S series. Pair of S 807s + S ATM modules + S 81 CEN.

Ordered the refurb Denon AVR suggested by gajCA and an open box JBL Studio 550P subwoofer from Amazon.

I had some older Jamo speakers in the old house in a 5.1 config with a cheap Jamo subwoofer that never really impressed me much. (the speakers were more than acceptable, the subwoofer was not)

I'll post a pic and first impressions after I have them all wired up and working.
gajCA likes this.

Last edited by Terrible_Tom; 05-08-2019 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Additional information
post #12 of 17 Old 05-17-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
I went with the Jamo S series. Pair of S 807s + S ATM modules + S 81 CEN.

Ordered the refurb Denon AVR suggested by gajCA and an open box JBL Studio 550P subwoofer from Amazon.

I had some older Jamo speakers in the old house in a 5.1 config with a cheap Jamo subwoofer that never really impressed me much. (the speakers were more than acceptable, the subwoofer was not)

I'll post a pic and first impressions after I have them all wired up and working.
Update: JBL subwoofer (open box) arrived damaged. I tried to offer the seller a no return option (partial refund, I keep the unit) but ended up returning the thing. It was probably too large (physically) anyways so I have ordered a Monoprice SSW-12 that will fit nicely under the TV console.

The first pair of Atmos speakers arrived damaged. The outer box was clean but one speaker had broken internally and had pieces rolling around inside. Seller refunded in full without return so I ordered a second pair from the same seller. Now I have a third S 8 ATM that is fully functional and perfect and useless to me.

As a simple 3.1 system (no Atmos yet) it sounds pretty good with movies and video games. Replacement Atmos modules are expected today and the subwoofer exchange will take place early next week.

That refurb Denon AVR is a nice piece for the money. I'm more than happy with it so far.
post #13 of 17 Old 05-20-2019, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:

They've been well received considering their price point, especially if you catch a sale at Fry's.

Keep in mind the S 805 do not feature the Atmos connectors that the S 803/807/809 do.

I've read the S 801 and S 81 can come off as anemic. Both use 4" speakers.

Sticking to the 5" speakers options seems ideal; S 803 bookshelf, S 807/809 towers, S 83 center.
post #14 of 17 Old 05-20-2019, 02:27 PM

If it would have fit in the only place I could really put it I would have much preferred the S 83 CEN to the S 81 CEN I bought.

I have become quite the Jamo fanboi.
post #15 of 17 Old 05-20-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabraal View Post
Hey,

Thanks!

I recently installed a pair of Polk OWM3 as front heights to enable Atmos. To see how much information was actually being sent to them, I unplugged the other speakers in my setup and played Blade Runner 2049, Mad Max Fury Road, and a few other Netflix series with Atmos audio tracks.

I was surprised how infrequently sound was coming out of the front heights. The truth is they don't receive nearly as much information as surrounds do. I don't regret installing them though, and my hope is Atmos channels will be utilized more often as the format becomes more popular.

I went through the different Atmos configuration options on my receiver, including Upfiring, Top Front, and Top Middle. I was surprised to find that the Front Height configuration actually had more information sent to it, as it included the overhead sounds and some of the sounds that would have gone the L/R front speakers in the other configurations.
gajCA likes this.
post #16 of 17 Old 05-20-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbrewer View Post
I recently installed a pair of Polk OWM3 as front heights to enable Atmos. To see how much information was actually being sent to them, I unplugged the other speakers in my setup and played Blade Runner 2049, Mad Max Fury Road, and a few other Netflix series with Atmos audio tracks.

I was surprised how infrequently sound was coming out of the front heights. The truth is they don't receive nearly as much information as surrounds do. I don't regret installing them though, and my hope is Atmos channels will be utilized more often as the format becomes more popular.

I went through the different Atmos configuration options on my receiver, including Upfiring, Top Front, and Top Middle. I was surprised to find that the Front Height configuration actually had more information sent to it, as it included the overhead sounds and some of the sounds that would have gone the L/R front speakers in the other configurations.
Thanks for that.

Some AVS members have bristled when it is mentioned that Atmos effects are not that taxing and don't require the exact same speaker, (including size), as the main floor speakers.

Geoff A. J., California
post #17 of 17 Old 05-20-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Thanks for that.

Some AVS members have bristled when it is mentioned that Atmos effects are not that taxing and don't require the exact same speaker, (including size), as the main floor speakers.

The experience left me wanting to record the audio coming from the height speakers and uploading the video to YouTube, as a reference for others looking to take advantage of Atmos.
gajCA and Photokid1970 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers