Martin Logan Motion 60 XT - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 2 Post By DaBateman
  • 2 Post By gajCA
  • 1 Post By turbov6camaro
  • 1 Post By turbov6camaro
  • 1 Post By DaBateman
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 04-18-2018, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 560
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Martin Logan Motion 60 XT

Just picked up a pair of these towers to replace my aging bose cube (acoustimas 10). Now i'm new to Martin logan and it looks to have double of each post. Which one would I connect my speaker wires to ? Bottom of Top?


Just like this picture


https://www.bestbuy.com/site/martinl...?skuId=7730107
Asgard1an is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 29 Old 04-18-2018, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Squirrel!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,770
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Makes no difference as long as the jumper is in place. Welcome to the ML family of excellence!!!

Main: Mitsubishi 73736|OTA|fireTV|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|1-1000watt & 1-500watt DIY 12" Subs|2 Bass Shaker|APC H15 Power Conditioner|Harmony Hub|Sennheiser RS 160|SMSL B1 BT Rx|Linksys SE2500
MBR: Vizio VF550M|OTA|fireTV3|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Dayton SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin PF30|Harmony 550
Squirrel! is offline  
post #3 of 29 Old 04-18-2018, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 560
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 46
What sub could I pair these with?


I was looking at the dynamo 1000 or the svs pb 2000, anything else under $1000?
Asgard1an is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 29 Old 04-18-2018, 09:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DaBateman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 1,278
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgard1an View Post
What sub could I pair these with?


I was looking at the dynamo 1000 or the svs pb 2000, anything else under $1000?
Don’t get the Dynamo. Way more capable subs for the money.

HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
Monoprice Monolith 12” or dual 10’s
PB-2000
Rythmik LXV12

In that order from best to worst. Good luck

| Eqmt | Vizio 4K M50-E1 | Yamaha RX-V681 | iNUKE 3kdsp x2 | Emotiva BasX A-100 | miniDSP UMIK-1 | Monolith M1060 | Monolith USB DAC |
| Sub | Trilithon | Stonehenge Variant Subwoofer - 18” - 9ft³ - 19Hz | Marty | Microcube 390HO - 22Hz | Monolith THX Ultra 12 | Monolith THX Select 10 |
| Spkrs | HSU CCB8 x3 | SVS Prime Elevation x2 | Polk S15 |
DaBateman is offline  
post #5 of 29 Old 04-19-2018, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 560
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBateman View Post
Don’t get the Dynamo. Way more capable subs for the money.

HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
Monoprice Monolith 12” or dual 10’s
PB-2000
Rythmik LXV12

In that order from best to worst. Good luck
I have a HSU VTF-2 MK5 for my movie room already, great sub. Just wanted to try something new to see. Does monolith do a trial?
Asgard1an is offline  
post #6 of 29 Old 04-19-2018, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DaBateman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 1,278
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgard1an View Post
I have a HSU VTF-2 MK5 for my movie room already, great sub. Just wanted to try something new to see. Does monolith do a trial?
I don’t believe so. You could ask @MIX_MASTER_ICE about the monolith though, he owns dual 12’s.

I just this week have decided to do dual Monolith 10’s.
gajCA and Squirrel! like this.

| Eqmt | Vizio 4K M50-E1 | Yamaha RX-V681 | iNUKE 3kdsp x2 | Emotiva BasX A-100 | miniDSP UMIK-1 | Monolith M1060 | Monolith USB DAC |
| Sub | Trilithon | Stonehenge Variant Subwoofer - 18” - 9ft³ - 19Hz | Marty | Microcube 390HO - 22Hz | Monolith THX Ultra 12 | Monolith THX Select 10 |
| Spkrs | HSU CCB8 x3 | SVS Prime Elevation x2 | Polk S15 |
DaBateman is offline  
post #7 of 29 Old 04-19-2018, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 19,385
Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9082 Post(s)
Liked: 6223
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBateman View Post
I don’t believe so. You could ask @MIX_MASTER_ICE about the monolith though, he owns dual 12’s.

I just this week have decided to do dual Monolith 10’s.
Looking forward to your impressions.

What sub are you using now?

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is online now  
post #8 of 29 Old 04-19-2018, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 7,244
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3333 Post(s)
Liked: 2798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgard1an View Post
I have a HSU VTF-2 MK5 for my movie room already, great sub. Just wanted to try something new to see. Does monolith do a trial?
The VTF-2 MK5 is very good sub for the money. You could try something different, but they won't necessarily be better than the HSU, unless you step up to 15's and increase your budget.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is offline  
post #9 of 29 Old 04-19-2018, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Kini62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 8,042
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2722 Post(s)
Liked: 2536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgard1an View Post
What sub could I pair these with?


I was looking at the dynamo 1000 or the svs pb 2000, anything else under $1000?
Since you like your VTF2, you could get the VTF3.5 or the VTF15.2 the latter being just over your budget with shipping.

PSA 15V or Rythmik FVX15 are both right at your budget.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
Kini62 is online now  
post #10 of 29 Old 04-19-2018, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 560
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
Since you like your VTF2, you could get the VTF3.5 or the VTF15.2 the latter being just over your budget with shipping.

PSA 15V or Rythmik FVX15 are both right at your budget.
I see that the PSA is down firing sub. Any advantage to a front firing?
Asgard1an is offline  
post #11 of 29 Old 04-19-2018, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Kini62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 8,042
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2722 Post(s)
Liked: 2536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgard1an View Post
I see that the PSA is down firing sub. Any advantage to a front firing?
Maybe a little more tactile response depending on placement.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
Kini62 is online now  
post #12 of 29 Old 04-19-2018, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DaBateman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 1,278
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Looking forward to your impressions.

What sub are you using now?
First I had a PSW505 then got a PL-200 II

| Eqmt | Vizio 4K M50-E1 | Yamaha RX-V681 | iNUKE 3kdsp x2 | Emotiva BasX A-100 | miniDSP UMIK-1 | Monolith M1060 | Monolith USB DAC |
| Sub | Trilithon | Stonehenge Variant Subwoofer - 18” - 9ft³ - 19Hz | Marty | Microcube 390HO - 22Hz | Monolith THX Ultra 12 | Monolith THX Select 10 |
| Spkrs | HSU CCB8 x3 | SVS Prime Elevation x2 | Polk S15 |
DaBateman is offline  
post #13 of 29 Old 04-19-2018, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 19,385
Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9082 Post(s)
Liked: 6223
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBateman View Post
First I had a PSW505 then got a PL-200 II
Prepare to be mightily impressed!
DaBateman and Squirrel! like this.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is online now  
post #14 of 29 Old 04-19-2018, 08:17 PM
Member
 
turbov6camaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 20
i have

ML motion 10 for mains and just added a ebay ML motion 40 for a center to day................ wow juge differance.

I have a pol 505 sub and have a HSU VTF-15H on the way right now, (i have a huge room to fill lol) I can let you know next week how it sounds with the ML speakers
gajCA likes this.
turbov6camaro is offline  
post #15 of 29 Old 04-21-2018, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Squirrel!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,770
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked: 507
As for what sub? I say DIY if you want the best. But I would strongly suggest the new Monolith 12" times 2. There is a suggestion you consult Mix Master. While we don't really get along, I do respect his opinion on subs as he has heard more different than I have. Drop him a line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBateman View Post
Don’t get the Dynamo. Way more capable subs for the money.
Absolutely agree, 1000%...IF you can't find one on sale. I have a Dynamo 300 [8" 75 watt] when they were selling for $119...for the extra $20 [at the time] it blew away the Parts Express 8" 100 watt and just about any other 8" sub...for the price. But at todays selling price or MSRP? Absolutely not, hell no, even.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgard1an View Post
I see that the PSA is down firing sub. Any advantage to a front firing?
Down firing subs sound great IF they are firing onto a hard surface, not carpet. A 3/4" slab of plywood placed under one is easy enough to do. So if you can find a deal on one, go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbov6camaro View Post
i have

ML motion 10 for mains and just added a ebay ML motion 40 for a center to day................ wow juge differance.
Dude, you should keep the 40 and just use it. Waaay better than the 10's. However, the 10's are PERFECT for surround duty. Keep an eye open for another 40 single and make it a pair, go phantom for the center, the 10's for surround and your sub(s) of course. I can guarantee you will be sooo much happier.

Main: Mitsubishi 73736|OTA|fireTV|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|1-1000watt & 1-500watt DIY 12" Subs|2 Bass Shaker|APC H15 Power Conditioner|Harmony Hub|Sennheiser RS 160|SMSL B1 BT Rx|Linksys SE2500
MBR: Vizio VF550M|OTA|fireTV3|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Dayton SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin PF30|Harmony 550
Squirrel! is offline  
post #16 of 29 Old 04-21-2018, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 19,385
Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9082 Post(s)
Liked: 6223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel! View Post

Dude, you should keep the 40 and just use it. Waaay better than the 10's. However, the 10's are PERFECT for surround duty. Keep an eye open for another 40 single and make it a pair, go phantom for the center, the 10's for surround and your sub(s) of course. I can guarantee you will be sooo much happier.
He was phantom center before adding the M40 as a center.

He appears mightily impressed with a quality center over phantom...which, to me, is expected.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is online now  
post #17 of 29 Old 04-21-2018, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Squirrel!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,770
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
He was phantom center before adding the M40 as a center.

He appears mightily impressed with a quality center over phantom...which, to me, is expected.
He hasn't yet experienced all around ML sound either, with or without center [I'm guessing, don't know the chap]. And when [if] he does, he will be mightily impressed...which to me, is expected.

Main: Mitsubishi 73736|OTA|fireTV|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|1-1000watt & 1-500watt DIY 12" Subs|2 Bass Shaker|APC H15 Power Conditioner|Harmony Hub|Sennheiser RS 160|SMSL B1 BT Rx|Linksys SE2500
MBR: Vizio VF550M|OTA|fireTV3|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Dayton SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin PF30|Harmony 550
Squirrel! is offline  
post #18 of 29 Old 04-21-2018, 03:01 PM
Member
 
turbov6camaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel! View Post
He hasn't yet experienced all around ML sound either, with or without center [I'm guessing, don't know the chap]. And when [if] he does, he will be mightily impressed...which to me, is expected.
i dont have any place for the ML 10 for surrounds as ceiling mount is my only option other wise i would get 2z ML M40 and run 3 of those up front. all i know is since the ML 40 the i can hear voices better and the wife can to.....
Squirrel! likes this.
turbov6camaro is offline  
post #19 of 29 Old 04-21-2018, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Squirrel!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,770
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbov6camaro View Post
i dont have any place for the ML 10 for surrounds as ceiling mount is my only option other wise i would get 2z ML M40 and run 3 of those up front. all i know is since the ML 40 the i can hear voices better and the wife can to.....
And as long as you like it, is all that matters, my friend. Enjoy!

Main: Mitsubishi 73736|OTA|fireTV|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|1-1000watt & 1-500watt DIY 12" Subs|2 Bass Shaker|APC H15 Power Conditioner|Harmony Hub|Sennheiser RS 160|SMSL B1 BT Rx|Linksys SE2500
MBR: Vizio VF550M|OTA|fireTV3|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Dayton SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin PF30|Harmony 550
Squirrel! is offline  
post #20 of 29 Old 04-21-2018, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 560
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 46
For the 60 XT ML, I need the motion 50 center. MY living room will be a 3.1.

I think I can get a dynamo 1000 for about 650 but then may as well go for an SVS of another HSU VTF2 MK5 or even a rythmik
Asgard1an is offline  
post #21 of 29 Old 04-22-2018, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Squirrel!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,770
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgard1an View Post
For the 60 XT ML, I need the motion 50 center. MY living room will be a 3.1.

I think I can get a dynamo 1000 for about 650 but then may as well go for an SVS of another HSU VTF2 MK5 or even a rythmik
I'd avoid the Dynamo. Too expensive IMHO.

Main: Mitsubishi 73736|OTA|fireTV|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|1-1000watt & 1-500watt DIY 12" Subs|2 Bass Shaker|APC H15 Power Conditioner|Harmony Hub|Sennheiser RS 160|SMSL B1 BT Rx|Linksys SE2500
MBR: Vizio VF550M|OTA|fireTV3|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Dayton SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin PF30|Harmony 550
Squirrel! is offline  
post #22 of 29 Old 04-22-2018, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 19,385
Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9082 Post(s)
Liked: 6223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgard1an View Post
For the 60 XT ML, I need the motion 50 center. MY living room will be a 3.1.

I think I can get a dynamo 1000 for about 650 but then may as well go for an SVS of another HSU VTF2 MK5 or even a rythmik
Might want to look at a Factory Refurbished Center and save $330 towards the MK3 from HSU or Rhythmik LVX12 or F12G.

http://www.safeandsoundhq.com/Martin...ry-Refurbished

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is online now  
post #23 of 29 Old 04-25-2018, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MIX_MASTER_ICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,063
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked: 2477
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBateman View Post
I don’t believe so. You could ask @MIX_MASTER_ICE about the monolith though, he owns dual 12’s.

I just this week have decided to do dual Monolith 10’s.


Congrats on the upcoming dual Monolith 10's. Hope to hear your impressions once you get those bad boys set up.

Monoprice does offer a 30 day trail period, but like most others other than SVS, you are on the hook for return shipping. With the Monolith 12 shipped UPS Freight, that would probably be quit a bit to return ship it.
MIX_MASTER_ICE is offline  
post #24 of 29 Old 04-26-2018, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DaBateman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 1,278
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
Congrats on the upcoming dual Monolith 10's. Hope to hear your impressions once you get those bad boys set up.

Monoprice does offer a 30 day trail period, but like most others other than SVS, you are on the hook for return shipping. With the Monolith 12 shipped UPS Freight, that would probably be quit a bit to return ship it.
Yes with those massive things that would be quite a hit with shipping. Although I have no reason to think I’d send it back

| Eqmt | Vizio 4K M50-E1 | Yamaha RX-V681 | iNUKE 3kdsp x2 | Emotiva BasX A-100 | miniDSP UMIK-1 | Monolith M1060 | Monolith USB DAC |
| Sub | Trilithon | Stonehenge Variant Subwoofer - 18” - 9ft³ - 19Hz | Marty | Microcube 390HO - 22Hz | Monolith THX Ultra 12 | Monolith THX Select 10 |
| Spkrs | HSU CCB8 x3 | SVS Prime Elevation x2 | Polk S15 |
DaBateman is offline  
post #25 of 29 Old 04-26-2018, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MIX_MASTER_ICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,063
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked: 2477
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBateman View Post
Yes with those massive things that would be quite a hit with shipping. Although I have no reason to think I’d send it back
I've read of nobody not liking a Monolith sub other than one guy who returned a 15" that he was trying to pair with a dual opposed sealed sub. He thought the driver was making some odd noises, so it may have been defective. Just remember the gain on the Monolith subs isn't very sensitive, so you'll likely have to turn it up higher than you would most other subs. Dual Monolith 10's should be sweet.

Subs>RBH I-12e, I-12. HSU VTF-15H mk2. Monolith THX 12(x2), THX 10(x2). XTZ 1X12. SVS PB-1000(x2). Speakers>JBL Studio 270/235c/230/225c. Sony CS3/CS8/CS5. QA 3020i/3090Ci, 2020i/2000c. Monolith Cinema 5bs. Polk RTiA1/CSiA4. Other Audio>Sony MDR-Z7m2,V6, XB900n,700,XB32,XB31. Sennheiser HD58X, HD4.50, PC37X. Philips SHP9500. SIVGA SV004. Status Audio HDTwo. HyperX Cloud PS4. TB Elite Atlas Aero. LG FH6,RK8,RK7,PK5. HK Onyx Studio4(x2).
MIX_MASTER_ICE is offline  
post #26 of 29 Old 04-26-2018, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DaBateman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 1,278
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
I've read of nobody not liking a Monolith sub other than one guy who returned a 15" that he was trying to pair with a dual opposed sealed sub. He thought the driver was making some odd noises, so it may have been defective. Just remember the gain on the Monolith subs isn't very sensitive, so you'll likely have to turn it up higher than you would most other subs. Dual Monolith 10's should be sweet.
That’s interesting. Although very possibly a defect slipped through the cracks. I used to work in manufacturing so I understand even with excellent QC mistakes will still happen.

You’re the only person I know that has a monolith so it’s very insightful hearing your thoughts and recommendations with it. What do you have your gain set to? I try to keep my AVR sub trim set as low as possible.

Also I noticed you have both Polk S20/15. How do they compare? I just ordered a refurbished pair of Walnut S15’s earlier from Polks eBay. W/ the 15% promo code they had I ended up paying $136. Do you think the 20’s for fronts are worth so much more compared to what I got the 15’s for? I figured with a sub the 15’s would suffice quite well.
MIX_MASTER_ICE likes this.

| Eqmt | Vizio 4K M50-E1 | Yamaha RX-V681 | iNUKE 3kdsp x2 | Emotiva BasX A-100 | miniDSP UMIK-1 | Monolith M1060 | Monolith USB DAC |
| Sub | Trilithon | Stonehenge Variant Subwoofer - 18” - 9ft³ - 19Hz | Marty | Microcube 390HO - 22Hz | Monolith THX Ultra 12 | Monolith THX Select 10 |
| Spkrs | HSU CCB8 x3 | SVS Prime Elevation x2 | Polk S15 |
DaBateman is offline  
post #27 of 29 Old 04-26-2018, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MIX_MASTER_ICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,063
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked: 2477
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBateman View Post
That’s interesting. Although very possibly a defect slipped through the cracks. I used to work in manufacturing so I understand even with excellent QC mistakes will still happen.

You’re the only person I know that has a monolith so it’s very insightful hearing your thoughts and recommendations with it. What do you have your gain set to? I try to keep my AVR sub trim set as low as possible.

Also I noticed you have both Polk S20/15. How do they compare? I just ordered a refurbished pair of Walnut S15’s earlier from Polks eBay. W/ the 15% promo code they had I ended up paying $136. Do you think the 20’s for fronts are worth so much more compared to what I got the 15’s for? I figured with a sub the 15’s would suffice quite well.
I think the gain on my Monolith subs is around 3 o'clock on the dial, can't remember for sure. If you are running an auto-calibration from your receiver, I would start them at round 2 o'clock on the sub gain and see what that returns after calibration.

The Polk S15's should be fine for l&r speakers with subs. The S20's do have noticeably more bass output without a sub, but running them with a sub(s) makes the overall difference in the speakers minimal. I run 2-channel music sometimes from that system and doing this does give the S20 an advantage. The S20's are really large/deep for bookshelf speakers, so the S15's are probably an easier fit for most set ups.

Subs>RBH I-12e, I-12. HSU VTF-15H mk2. Monolith THX 12(x2), THX 10(x2). XTZ 1X12. SVS PB-1000(x2). Speakers>JBL Studio 270/235c/230/225c. Sony CS3/CS8/CS5. QA 3020i/3090Ci, 2020i/2000c. Monolith Cinema 5bs. Polk RTiA1/CSiA4. Other Audio>Sony MDR-Z7m2,V6, XB900n,700,XB32,XB31. Sennheiser HD58X, HD4.50, PC37X. Philips SHP9500. SIVGA SV004. Status Audio HDTwo. HyperX Cloud PS4. TB Elite Atlas Aero. LG FH6,RK8,RK7,PK5. HK Onyx Studio4(x2).
MIX_MASTER_ICE is offline  
post #28 of 29 Old 04-26-2018, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DaBateman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 1,278
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
I think the gain on my Monolith subs is around 3 o'clock on the dial, can't remember for sure. If you are running an auto-calibration from your receiver, I would start them at round 2 o'clock on the sub gain and see what that returns after calibration.

The Polk S15's should be fine for l&r speakers with subs. The S20's do have noticeably more bass output without a sub, but running them with a sub(s) makes the overall difference in the speakers minimal. I run 2-channel music sometimes from that system and doing this does give the S20 an advantage. The S20's are really large/deep for bookshelf speakers, so the S15's are probably an easier fit for most set ups.
Oh wow. Yeah thanks I probably would have started at 12 o’clock. I can’t wait for it to be delivered

I don’t listen to any 2 channel without a sub so I didn’t figure it’d be worth an extra $120-160 for the S20.
Although I love huge bookshelf’s - my Monitor 40’s are basically same cubic size of the 20’s I couldn’t justify not getting the 15’s for the deal. Do they have a brighter sound? That’s what I have read.

| Eqmt | Vizio 4K M50-E1 | Yamaha RX-V681 | iNUKE 3kdsp x2 | Emotiva BasX A-100 | miniDSP UMIK-1 | Monolith M1060 | Monolith USB DAC |
| Sub | Trilithon | Stonehenge Variant Subwoofer - 18” - 9ft³ - 19Hz | Marty | Microcube 390HO - 22Hz | Monolith THX Ultra 12 | Monolith THX Select 10 |
| Spkrs | HSU CCB8 x3 | SVS Prime Elevation x2 | Polk S15 |
DaBateman is offline  
post #29 of 29 Old 04-26-2018, 07:21 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Welcome to the fam! I just "finished" my first hifi system, have the 60's Bi amped and they are quite stunning! Enjoy!
crock442 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off