Speakers upgrade suggestion. Help plz - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By Zorba922
  • 1 Post By sigpig
  • 1 Post By pase22
  • 2 Post By tnaik4
  • 1 Post By bochoss
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 04-23-2018, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Middel east, LEBANON
Posts: 436
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Speakers upgrade suggestion. Help plz

Hi guys, i need ur help plz deciding what speakers i should get for my home theatre room to replace my older ones or if i should just stick with what i got.

I currently own a 5.1.4 system connected to Yamaha Aventage a2050 reciever, my speakers are 4 bookshelf yamaha ns333 (fronts and surround), yamaha ns c444 as a centre , yamaha sw700 sub and 4 yamaha ns e105 atmos ceiling speakers, so basically a yamaha system since they are all from the same series.

My room is (11.5ft x 14.7ft) and its my bedroom, so not a fully dedicated room, it is treated for projectors with black velvet drapes on the side and ceiling but nothing for sound treatment, i know this is important for sound quality so i thought i would mention my room.

I always had the itch to upgrade at least my fronts( has to be bookshelf) and centre speakers or maybe just the centre if u think that would be enough but i have no clue which speakers would be a major upgrade from what i got, i need ur advice cause i dont want to spend money and not hear any difference, my system sounds good but i feel it can be clearer, i never heard any other system so that is why i dont know what to look for or what i am missing so ur help is very much appreciated.

Sorry for the long post, cant wait to hear ur suggestions, btw regarding budget ill probably pay 300-400 for a centre speaker and same for pair of bookshelf so around $800 max. Keep in mind i dont have the option in my country to go demo what i want to buy .

The system is purely for MOVIES, so whatever i get has to sound best in movies as i rarely listen to music on it.

Thank you

JVC DLA X590/RS440
BenQ LK970

Last edited by tnaik4; 04-23-2018 at 05:37 PM.
tnaik4 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 Old 04-23-2018, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DaBateman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 1,278
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnaik4 View Post
Hi guys, i need ur help plz deciding what speakers i should get for my home theatre room to replace my older ones or if i should just stick with what i got.

I currently own a 5.1.4 system connected to Yamaha Aventage a2050 reciever, my speakers are 4 bookshelf yamaha ns333 (fronts and surround), yamaha ns c444 as a centre , yamaha sw700 sub and 4 yamaha ns e105 atmos ceiling speakers, so basically a yamaha system since they are all from the same series.

My room is (11.5ft x 14.7ft) and its my bedroom, so not a fully dedicated room, it is treated for projectors with black velvet drapes on the side and ceiling but nothing for sound treatment, i know this is important for sound quality so i thought i would mention my room.

I always had the itch to upgrade at least my fronts( has to be bookshelf) and centre speakers or maybe just the centre if u think that would be enough but i have no clue which speakers would be a major upgrade from what i got, i need ur advice cause i dont want to spend money and not hear any difference, my system sounds good but i feel it can be clearer, i never heard any other system so that is why i dont know what to look for or what i am missing so ur help is very much appreciated.

Sorry for the long post, cant wait to hear ur suggestions, btw regarding budget ill probably pay 300-400 for a centre speaker and same for pair of bookshelf so around $800 max. Keep in mind i dont have the option in my country to go demo what i want to buy .

Thank you
For that price I would recommend the Emotiva C2 center and Emotiva B1 bookshelf.

They are highly recommended here at AVS for HT and clarity. Remember the most important factor for Ht is the center channel and a subwoofer. Although for $300 you won’t get a great sub I’d start with your front three then add a good sub next. Good luck with your journey

| Eqmt | Vizio 4K M50-E1 | Yamaha RX-V681 | iNUKE 3kdsp x2 | Emotiva BasX A-100 | miniDSP UMIK-1 | Monolith M1060 | Monolith USB DAC |
| Sub | Trilithon | Stonehenge Variant Subwoofer - 18” - 9ft³ - 19Hz | Marty | Microcube 390HO - 22Hz | Monolith THX Ultra 12 | Monolith THX Select 10 |
| Spkrs | HSU CCB8 x3 | SVS Prime Elevation x2 | Polk S15 |
DaBateman is offline  
post #3 of 21 Old 04-23-2018, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Middel east, LEBANON
Posts: 436
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBateman View Post
For that price I would recommend the Emotiva C2 center and Emotiva B1 bookshelf.

They are highly recommended here at AVS for HT and clarity. Remember the most important factor for Ht is the center channel and a subwoofer. Although for $300 you won’t get a great sub I’d start with your front three then add a good sub next. Good luck with your journey
Thanks for ur quick reply.

Do i really need a better sub than the yamaha sw700? I feel its kind of overkill for my room.
I m no audiophil but i keep hearing about Klipsch brand, and how they are considered one of the best, would u say the emotiva c2 and b1 are on par or better?

Sorry if i sound clueless , i m just new to all of this and its overwhelming how many brands and options there is.

JVC DLA X590/RS440
BenQ LK970
tnaik4 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 21 Old 04-23-2018, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DaBateman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 1,278
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnaik4 View Post
Thanks for ur quick reply.

Do i really need a better sub than the yamaha sw700? I feel its kind of overkill for my room.
I m no audiophil but i keep hearing about Klipsch brand, and how they are considered one of the best, would u say the emotiva c2 and b1 are on par or better?

Sorry if i sound clueless , i m just new to all of this and its overwhelming how many brands and options there is.
I understand when you first begin it’s completely overwhelming with so many brands, different price points, so much misinformation with reviews.

For your price point I honestly think they Emotivas are your best bet until you get to the $500+ price range.

As far as a subwoofer yes it’s totally necessary. My room is about the same size as yours, I started with a Polk PSW505, then a BIC PL 200 II, and just last week ordered a Monoprice Monolith 10” for $500. Also dual subs are very favorable with HT but depending on the room not always necessary, which is why I ordered one first to see if I thought I’d need two.

@gajCA has an extensive list of well regarded subwoofers. Maybe he can post them here for you

| Eqmt | Vizio 4K M50-E1 | Yamaha RX-V681 | iNUKE 3kdsp x2 | Emotiva BasX A-100 | miniDSP UMIK-1 | Monolith M1060 | Monolith USB DAC |
| Sub | Trilithon | Stonehenge Variant Subwoofer - 18” - 9ft³ - 19Hz | Marty | Microcube 390HO - 22Hz | Monolith THX Ultra 12 | Monolith THX Select 10 |
| Spkrs | HSU CCB8 x3 | SVS Prime Elevation x2 | Polk S15 |
DaBateman is offline  
post #5 of 21 Old 04-23-2018, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Middel east, LEBANON
Posts: 436
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBateman View Post
I understand when you first begin it’s completely overwhelming with so many brands, different price points, so much misinformation with reviews.

For your price point I honestly think they Emotivas are your best bet until you get to the $500+ price range.

As far as a subwoofer yes it’s totally necessary. My room is about the same size as yours, I started with a Polk PSW505, then a BIC PL 200 II, and just last week ordered a Monoprice Monolith 10” for $500. Also dual subs are very favorable with HT but depending on the room not always necessary, which is why I ordered one first to see if I thought I’d need two.

@gajCA has an extensive list of well regarded subwoofers. Maybe he can post them here for you
Yeah ur totally on point with misinformation from reviews, now is the first time i hear about emotivas and uppon checking quickly they seem very good, its wierd how none of the many articles i read about different speakers mentioned them.
I would go above 500 if i didnt have to factor shipping since i dont live in the US and that will add up quickly.

A quick question about the C2, would it be an overmatch for the B1's ? And do u have any link where can i buy tje C2 since only C1 is available on amazon.

Again thanks for ur timr and help.

JVC DLA X590/RS440
BenQ LK970
tnaik4 is offline  
post #6 of 21 Old 04-23-2018, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RayGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,619
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2710 Post(s)
Liked: 2474
C1 will be fine.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
RayGuy is online now  
post #7 of 21 Old 04-23-2018, 09:50 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 12,561
Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7054 Post(s)
Liked: 5358
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnaik4 View Post
A quick question about the C2, would it be an overmatch for the B1's ? And do u have any link where can i buy tje C2 since only C1 is available on amazon.
I doubt it'd be a problem; if you have the budget and space to get the C2 over the C1, why not?

https://emotiva.com/products/airmotiv-c2

Amazon doesn't carry the C2 for some strange reason, this is the only vendor outside of Emotiva to carry it that I was able to find:
https://shop.sightandsoundgallery.co...irmotiv-c2.htm
DaBateman likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
post #8 of 21 Old 04-24-2018, 12:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DaBateman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 1,278
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnaik4 View Post
Yeah ur totally on point with misinformation from reviews, now is the first time i hear about emotivas and uppon checking quickly they seem very good, its wierd how none of the many articles i read about different speakers mentioned them.
I would go above 500 if i didnt have to factor shipping since i dont live in the US and that will add up quickly.

A quick question about the C2, would it be an overmatch for the B1's ? And do u have any link where can i buy tje C2 since only C1 is available on amazon.

Again thanks for ur timr and help.
Sorry never seen that you replied to me. Zobra have you the links though

As far as the C2 being overmatched I’d highly doubt it. If you have the space for it to fit I think you’ll be highly impressed with it.

Hope I helped some


Edit: found Geoff’s sub list this should guide you with worthy subwoofers for the future

PORTED SUBWOOFERS $600 AND BELOW, DELIVERED

NOTE: IF LOOKING AT LARGER/MORE EXPENSIVE SUBWOOFERS ADD PSA TO THE LIST OF BRANDS

ALSO, IF YOU ARE NOT AN ACTION MOVIE FAN A SUBWOOFER WITH 22-30HZ EXTENSION WOULD BE FINE

Specs are from the manufacturer unless noted otherwise.

150watts =11w18h13d= 18 lbs 8" [28hz] $199 EMOTIVA BASX S8

200watts =14w16h16d= 34 lbs 10" [27hz] $299 EMOTIVA BASX S10

300watts =17w18h18d= 49 lbs 12" [27hz] $399 EMOTIVA BASX S12, (extension from Sound & Vison)

250watts =15w19h17d= 42 lbs 10" [25hz] $455 HSU VTF 1 MK3 (extension from Audioholics review)

500watts =15w19h20d= 72 lbs 10" [20hz] $500 MONOPRICE MONOLITH THX 10"

300watts =16w22h21d= 69 lbs* 12" [19hz] $549 RHYTHMIK LV12R

350watts =15w21h22d= 62 lbs 12" [18hz] $607 HSU VTF2 MK5, (extension from Audioholics review)

* = shipping weight

| Eqmt | Vizio 4K M50-E1 | Yamaha RX-V681 | iNUKE 3kdsp x2 | Emotiva BasX A-100 | miniDSP UMIK-1 | Monolith M1060 | Monolith USB DAC |
| Sub | Trilithon | Stonehenge Variant Subwoofer - 18” - 9ft³ - 19Hz | Marty | Microcube 390HO - 22Hz | Monolith THX Ultra 12 | Monolith THX Select 10 |
| Spkrs | HSU CCB8 x3 | SVS Prime Elevation x2 | Polk S15 |

Last edited by DaBateman; 04-24-2018 at 12:26 AM.
DaBateman is offline  
post #9 of 21 Old 04-24-2018, 02:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
unretarded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Ventura Ca
Posts: 4,077
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1687 Post(s)
Liked: 2074
Speakers are tools and there are as many different ones as people.


First you need to figure out what you want from the tool/speakers, then you can pick a style to fit your needs.



You mention clarity....clarity in detail/dialog ?


What have you done on your current system to improve clarity......how is your system configured, does it have room correction, does it have EQ built in.

If you feel your current sub is overkill, stay with it....

You certainly do not have cheap or junk speakers, so they should be able to perform clearly once configured correctly.



There is nothing wrong with playing with the settings if available to figure it all out and see what you like.........pick a quality song you like and start playing around with the EQ......


Move each slider on the front left and right when listening in stereo and see what each frequency is/does and then once you have played around for a few days and understand what you/your room and your speakers need to deliver the sound signature you like, then get down to business on the rest of the speakers.



You can set the EQ flat and raise whatever slider the same on each speaker 2 or 3 db or down and listen to the song again and again and again taking in what each slider frequency does and what sounds good to you. If your receiver does not have room correction or EQ, I would consider that before replacing any speakers as the next ones might not do any better in your room to your ears.


We all hear differently and we are all different levels of hearing degraded......it goes with age and how much noise you have been subject to, so one knows what you are hearing but you.


Here is a intro video to understand room acoustics better if that's something you are interested in......while not mandatory in every room , it certainly does not hurt to understand it some and see if one of the main issues might be effecting what you are hearing in your room.





Depends on how deep you want to understand sound..........you can play with the EQ until your happy and enjoy or you can take in room measurements with a mic and see exactly what is happening in the room. But even then it will require EQ to correct anything with frequency response.



If you do not want to go crazy with acoustic sound treatments and measurement mic readings, the best thing is to get familiar with the EQ and what it does...........learn it/ play with it and at that point you will be able to identify a speakers strong points and weak points. Then you will have very good idea of what speakers to look at and if they meet your needs or if you even want or need different speakers.


In the most basic ruff explanation, speakers all have what I like to call a native sound, this is when they are first hooked up with no EQ, no room correction, no bass or treble added. Play a song, they will have a native uncorrected sound, set the next pair of different speakers in same spot and play the same song and the native sound will be some what different. This is what I call the native sound. Most decent speakers can produce from 80hz-20khz .........they will all have a different native sound.

You can keep trying speakers until that native sound fits in your application,what many do, or you can use EQ to bend the sound to fit you and your ears and your room. Taking variances on speaker style and advanced audio listening away....nuances and small variations. Most quality speakers can be made to produce a flat frequency response, once you have this and room issues corrected , you can then start to dissect the sound signature of different speakers better.


There is no right or wrong way to end up at the destination of a sound you are pleased with.....just depends on how you want to get there.


Don`t get me wrong, different speakers in a perfect environment will sound very different and more expensive speakers in most cases have better quality parts etc etc etc. But which ones fit you is only something you can know and the way to know that is to experiment and figure out what you like and need a speaker to do. Once have identified these things, then you can choose the right speaker/tool for the job.


You just need to define what clarity means to you and what settings will get you there...or as close as possible with the equipment you have. Once you get close, you will then know what your equipment can or cant do and make a selection based on that need.


Take a known quality recording and start adjusting and listening.........then repeat, change that setting back and adjust another slider up or down on the EQ and listen again and again......keep adjusting and resetting and changing it until you end up in a methodical way to a end point. Write things down as you go if needed.

I like a methodical A-Z method......start with the EQ sliders on the left....raise the first one on both speakers 3db and listen....set them back to the middle and listen, then set them 3db low and listen again. Once you work your way from left to right in this way with each slider, returning them to 0 and moving to the next one......in a few hours you will have a good idea what each one means to you. That is enough information/learning to start adjusting more than one to what you think it needs and listening again and again until you end up some where you like.

At the end of that, which could take a week or 2 getting used to and listening to different settings, you will have a better understanding of what is or is not missing in your speakers.......this will increase your chances of getting a different speaker,..if needed..., that best fits what you need the first time.


What a measurement mic does is eliminate all that trial and error. You get set up, take a measurement, see exactly what is happening and adjust the system for as flat as a response as possible. Which gives you a place to start listening from and also allows you to measure as you adjust for personal tastes and see exactly what those tastes are. It sounds simple, but can take just as much time and adjusting as any other method....it just allows you to see what you are adjusting and gives you base line to start from. It is by no means a short cut......

Link to Stereo Integrity SI HT 18 sub build......https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-pedestal.html
Speakers and subs for sale...https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...kers-subs.html
unretarded is offline  
post #10 of 21 Old 04-24-2018, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Middel east, LEBANON
Posts: 436
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by unretarded View Post
Speakers are tools and there are as many different ones as people.


First you need to figure out what you want from the tool/speakers, then you can pick a style to fit your needs.



You mention clarity....clarity in detail/dialog ?


What have you done on your current system to improve clarity......how is your system configured, does it have room correction, does it have EQ built in.

If you feel your current sub is overkill, stay with it....

You certainly do not have cheap or junk speakers, so they should be able to perform clearly once configured correctly.



There is nothing wrong with playing with the settings if available to figure it all out and see what you like.........pick a quality song you like and start playing around with the EQ......


Move each slider on the front left and right when listening in stereo and see what each frequency is/does and then once you have played around for a few days and understand what you/your room and your speakers need to deliver the sound signature you like, then get down to business on the rest of the speakers.



You can set the EQ flat and raise whatever slider the same on each speaker 2 or 3 db or down and listen to the song again and again and again taking in what each slider frequency does and what sounds good to you. If your receiver does not have room correction or EQ, I would consider that before replacing any speakers as the next ones might not do any better in your room to your ears.


We all hear differently and we are all different levels of hearing degraded......it goes with age and how much noise you have been subject to, so one knows what you are hearing but you.


Here is a intro video to understand room acoustics better if that's something you are interested in......while not mandatory in every room , it certainly does not hurt to understand it some and see if one of the main issues might be effecting what you are hearing in your room.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BroP_iFVJvo



Depends on how deep you want to understand sound..........you can play with the EQ until your happy and enjoy or you can take in room measurements with a mic and see exactly what is happening in the room. But even then it will require EQ to correct anything with frequency response.



If you do not want to go crazy with acoustic sound treatments and measurement mic readings, the best thing is to get familiar with the EQ and what it does...........learn it/ play with it and at that point you will be able to identify a speakers strong points and weak points. Then you will have very good idea of what speakers to look at and if they meet your needs or if you even want or need different speakers.


In the most basic ruff explanation, speakers all have what I like to call a native sound, this is when they are first hooked up with no EQ, no room correction, no bass or treble added. Play a song, they will have a native uncorrected sound, set the next pair of different speakers in same spot and play the same song and the native sound will be some what different. This is what I call the native sound. Most decent speakers can produce from 80hz-20khz .........they will all have a different native sound.

You can keep trying speakers until that native sound fits in your application,what many do, or you can use EQ to bend the sound to fit you and your ears and your room. Taking variances on speaker style and advanced audio listening away....nuances and small variations. Most quality speakers can be made to produce a flat frequency response, once you have this and room issues corrected , you can then start to dissect the sound signature of different speakers better.


There is no right or wrong way to end up at the destination of a sound you are pleased with.....just depends on how you want to get there.


Don`t get me wrong, different speakers in a perfect environment will sound very different and more expensive speakers in most cases have better quality parts etc etc etc. But which ones fit you is only something you can know and the way to know that is to experiment and figure out what you like and need a speaker to do. Once have identified these things, then you can choose the right speaker/tool for the job.


You just need to define what clarity means to you and what settings will get you there...or as close as possible with the equipment you have. Once you get close, you will then know what your equipment can or cant do and make a selection based on that need.


Take a known quality recording and start adjusting and listening.........then repeat, change that setting back and adjust another slider up or down on the EQ and listen again and again......keep adjusting and resetting and changing it until you end up in a methodical way to a end point. Write things down as you go if needed.

I like a methodical A-Z method......start with the EQ sliders on the left....raise the first one on both speakers 3db and listen....set them back to the middle and listen, then set them 3db low and listen again. Once you work your way from left to right in this way with each slider, returning them to 0 and moving to the next one......in a few hours you will have a good idea what each one means to you. That is enough information/learning to start adjusting more than one to what you think it needs and listening again and again until you end up some where you like.

At the end of that, which could take a week or 2 getting used to and listening to different settings, you will have a better understanding of what is or is not missing in your speakers.......this will increase your chances of getting a different speaker,..if needed..., that best fits what you need the first time.


What a measurement mic does is eliminate all that trial and error. You get set up, take a measurement, see exactly what is happening and adjust the system for as flat as a response as possible. Which gives you a place to start listening from and also allows you to measure as you adjust for personal tastes and see exactly what those tastes are. It sounds simple, but can take just as much time and adjusting as any other method....it just allows you to see what you are adjusting and gives you base line to start from. It is by no means a short cut......
Thanks for u detailed and excellent reply.
I did run the autp calibration and adjust the speakers to 75db using an SPL meter at the listening position. I m just lost with EQ graphs and frequencies i can change so i m not really touching those, my receiver is one of the high end yamaha receivers and have all the bells and whistles u need to adjust the sound, i just know the basics.
My speakers are no cheap ones ur right, and they sound good, but i only watch movies and at -5db sometimes i feel its a little harch, what i mean by clarity is details at high pitch sound is harch and could be cleaner, not sure if i m describing it correctly.

What i really want to know from u and other experienced members, is how my yamaha would compare to the likes of klipsch/elac/emotiva etc... in the $400 price range(400 for centre and 400 for fronts), i wanna know if i m missing a lot or it would be just a minimal upgrade

JVC DLA X590/RS440
BenQ LK970
tnaik4 is offline  
post #11 of 21 Old 04-24-2018, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 12,561
Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7054 Post(s)
Liked: 5358
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnaik4 View Post
What i really want to know from u and other experienced members, is how my yamaha would compare to the likes of klipsch/elac/emotiva etc... in the $400 price range(400 for centre and 400 for fronts), i wanna know if i m missing a lot or it would be just a minimal upgrade
If you are trying to avoid treble harshness at high volumes, the Emotiva speakers would be a good bet because they are very neutral---an even safer bet would be the Hsu HB-1 and HC-1 center (or you could do 3 x HC-1 if you wish).

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hb-1.html
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hc-1.html

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
post #12 of 21 Old 04-24-2018, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 18,799
Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8771 Post(s)
Liked: 5961
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnaik4 View Post

What i really want to know from u and other experienced members, is how my yamaha would compare to the likes of klipsch/elac/emotiva etc... in the $400 price range(400 for centre and 400 for fronts), i wanna know if i m missing a lot or it would be just a minimal upgrade
I think your current system isn't bad at all, even the sub is a solid sub in my honest opinion; 300 watts, 10" and though it specs 20hz extension it probably is closer to 25hz which is just fine.

I have two of the smaller Yamaha subs and they hit their specs no problem; 28hz with puny 50watt amps and 8" main drivers.

Yamaha makes a decent sub.

I'd go to Best Buy and simply buy this center and if it isn't a clear upgrade, return it and enjoy what you have.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/elac-de...?skuId=6198595

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #13 of 21 Old 04-27-2018, 07:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 1,617
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Geoff, Zorba - the OP lives in Lebanon. Kinda hard to find a BestBuy there! lol
unretarded likes this.
sigpig is offline  
post #14 of 21 Old 04-27-2018, 09:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
unretarded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Ventura Ca
Posts: 4,077
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1687 Post(s)
Liked: 2074
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnaik4 View Post
i feel its a little harch, what i mean by clarity is details at high pitch sound is harch and could be cleaner, not sure if i m describing it correctly.

What i really want to know from u and other experienced members, i wanna know if i m missing a lot or


You are missing getting rid of that harsh sound by not adjusting the EQ......

I outlined how to do it in my post.....you can always run room correction to get back to where you are now.

Link to Stereo Integrity SI HT 18 sub build......https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-pedestal.html
Speakers and subs for sale...https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...kers-subs.html
unretarded is offline  
post #15 of 21 Old 04-28-2018, 03:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 7,018
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3200 Post(s)
Liked: 2667
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnaik4 View Post
Thanks for u detailed and excellent reply.
I did run the autp calibration and adjust the speakers to 75db using an SPL meter at the listening position. I m just lost with EQ graphs and frequencies i can change so i m not really touching those, my receiver is one of the high end yamaha receivers and have all the bells and whistles u need to adjust the sound, i just know the basics.
My speakers are no cheap ones ur right, and they sound good, but i only watch movies and at -5db sometimes i feel its a little harch, what i mean by clarity is details at high pitch sound is harch and could be cleaner, not sure if i m describing it correctly.

What i really want to know from u and other experienced members, is how my yamaha would compare to the likes of klipsch/elac/emotiva etc... in the $400 price range(400 for centre and 400 for fronts), i wanna know if i m missing a lot or it would be just a minimal upgrade
Try turning off YPAO volume and turn down the treble 2-3db in the tone control menu. If neither of these work, you just may simply have speakers that are too bright for your personal preference.
DaBateman likes this.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is online now  
post #16 of 21 Old 04-28-2018, 03:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DaBateman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 1,278
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
Try turning off YPAO volume and turn down the treble 2-3db in the tone control menu. If neither of these work, you just may simply have speakers that are too bright for your personal preference.
I second this. IMO YPAO volume is ****

| Eqmt | Vizio 4K M50-E1 | Yamaha RX-V681 | iNUKE 3kdsp x2 | Emotiva BasX A-100 | miniDSP UMIK-1 | Monolith M1060 | Monolith USB DAC |
| Sub | Trilithon | Stonehenge Variant Subwoofer - 18” - 9ft³ - 19Hz | Marty | Microcube 390HO - 22Hz | Monolith THX Ultra 12 | Monolith THX Select 10 |
| Spkrs | HSU CCB8 x3 | SVS Prime Elevation x2 | Polk S15 |
DaBateman is offline  
post #17 of 21 Old 04-29-2018, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Middel east, LEBANON
Posts: 436
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 235
after doing a lot of experimenting and learning along the way, speaker placement made a big difference and playing a little bit with EQ frequencies solved all issues , now my 5.1.4 system sounds way better, thanks alot guys, u saved me from paying for new speakers while mine were perfectly fine and just needed adjustments.
gajCA and sigpig like this.

JVC DLA X590/RS440
BenQ LK970
tnaik4 is offline  
post #18 of 21 Old 04-29-2018, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 18,799
Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8771 Post(s)
Liked: 5961
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpig View Post
Geoff, Zorba - the OP lives in Lebanon. Kinda hard to find a BestBuy there! lol
Oops.

Evidently there is a Best Buy outlet in Lebanon.

http://www.beirutreport.com/2014/01/...n-lebanon.html

I doubt they have the Debut 2.0s though!

Glad the OP got his issues fixed with placement changes.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #19 of 21 Old 04-29-2018, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Middel east, LEBANON
Posts: 436
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 235
i wish we have a place like best buy where we can go and listen to different brands and try it out, but sadly we dont, the best buy we have is nothing like states branches.

JVC DLA X590/RS440
BenQ LK970
tnaik4 is offline  
post #20 of 21 Old 04-29-2018, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 18,799
Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8771 Post(s)
Liked: 5961
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnaik4 View Post
i wish we have a place like best buy where we can go and listen to different brands and try it out, but sadly we dont, the best buy we have is nothing like states branches.
A lot of places where there are Best Buys are not nearly as nice as Lebanon!

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #21 of 21 Old 04-29-2018, 03:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 360
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by unretarded View Post
Here is a intro video to understand room acoustics better if that's something you are interested in......while not mandatory in every room , it certainly does not hurt to understand it some and see if one of the main issues might be effecting what you are hearing in your room.
I advise against absorbing first reflections as suggested in that video. Research has shown that the first reflections are beneficial and generally preferred. Since it often comes down to individual preference, try mocking up absorbers with pillows and/or folded towels to see if you prefer that dryer sound before spending $$ on a bunch of absorbing panels.
unretarded likes this.
bochoss is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off