• 3 Post By JaremyP

post #1 of 17 Old 04-30-2018, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked: 435
7.2.4 vs. 2.? - Am I crazy?

Looking for some legit discussion and feedback here. Also honest assessment if I'm thinking of something kind of stupid.

My current setup is a living room (19' x 17' x 9'). One 17' wall opens up to a larger kitchen area. There an open doorway in the back to a hallway and a 3'x3' opening in the back wall bookcase to our office. The front 19' wall is an AV wall, currently with a 75" TV (hopefully soon to be 85"). Fireplace on other 17' wall. Back 19' wall is build in bookcases and the mentioned openings. You can see this in the pics.

I currently have a 7.2.4 system in this room. It is driven with a Marantz AV7704 and an Emotiva XPA-11. Each sub is driven with Triad RackAmp 350. The speakers are:

LCR - Triad Silver 6
Subs - Triad Bronze 6 (measured down to mid-20s Hz in reviews I've found) x 2
Side/Rear Surrounds - Silver 6 Sat x 4
Atmos Channels - Silver 4 Surround x 4

I went with the Silver 6 Sat for the surround channels to try and have the angled baffle make the sound appear to come from lower. The LCRs also are set into a forward leaning section of the wall meant to direct them down at the couch. We sit ~13' from that front wall.

I'm thinking of ripping it all out and starting over in a more focused and simplified configuration. Note when I did this system, we were just building the house so trying for in-walls was desirable by both my wife and I. In addition, we had kids that were <1 and 3 then, now 5 and 8.

My current issues with the setup:

* The in-wall subs send vibrations into the walls that rattle the subs/speakers within their brackets and propagate through to the outside and shake the gutters on these 2 exterior walls.
* I probably overkilled the Atmos and surround channels. Too many speakers in too small an area all in the ceiling doesn't really differentiate the sound much.
* All that sound just sounds like it's coming from up high.
* The LCRs are better at giving an illusion of being more anchored to ear level, but not 100%.

Sound qualify itself is OK. These are not inexpensive speakers ($700 - $900 each plus like $1,400 for the subs). In totality though, I spent a lot on the entire array.

When I say rip it out, I could pull all those speakers, sell them off, and I'm thinking of the following:

* Invest all the proceeds plus some additional cash if needed in new speakers, expect to have a good $10k - $12k minimum to spend
* Focus on buying a high end LR pair
* Set them flanking the TV opening in front of the bump out (where the subs are now essentially)
* With that relatively short gap (~7 1/2'?), just go with phantom center (I'm usually right in the sweet spot and my wife and kids won't notice) and avoid the negatives of a center under the TV on a small stand, plus save the cost of the center
* Add a sub or 2 if needed, but ideally if I could get LRs that extend down to the low/mid-20s Hz range I'm already experiencing that might be good enough

If I just did LR, then all the cash can go into 2 very high end speakers. If I really can't get the base extension though, I would consider a sub(s). Adding 1 sub, but still avoiding spending on the center still leaves a lot for the LRs.

I wonder what kind of audio fidelity I would get out of such a change, experiencing really high end speakers vs. the sub-$1k speakers I'm used to. The system I had before this was B&W CDM-NT series I ran from 2000 - 2012. That was 9NT LR, CNT center, and SNT surrounds x 2 with one B&W ASW2500 sub. Roughly $5,000 in speakers/sub. I've had my current setup since 2013 in 7.2 form. 7.2.4 added in 2016.

I consume a lot more movie, TV, and game content than music, but I'd like to get into more music, especially with my kids. I also want to see my AV dollars at work with in-room speakers again.

I'm also not really feeling the surround and Atmos stuff, honestly. I feel like this living room environment and all the sound coming from above, I listen to the speakers/system more than I listen to the content. I find surround effects often just distract me. I wonder if big front LRs would fill this room with sound focused squarely from the TV and give me a better feeling of immersion. And getting the stuff out of the walls takes away the direct vibration issues.

So, am I crazy?

I welcome recommendations for what you would do and what you would buy if you'd change it? I read the whole other $10k speaker thread that's been active for a while. The key difference though is I'm talking 2.0 or 2.1/2.2 only here. Bill-99 was doing 5.1 so the application of the dollars was different.

If there's any questions I can answer to help clarify anything, let me know.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HT TV Wall.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	852.2 KB
ID:	2397698   Click image for larger version

Name:	HT - Atmos Speakers.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	744.0 KB
ID:	2397700  

Video: JVC NX7, Stewart Cima Neve 135"
Audio: Marantz AV7704, Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3
Speakers: Focal Electra 1038 Be x 2, Electra CC 1008 Be, Aria 906 x 8, REL S5 SHO x 2
Sources: Apple TV 4k, Kaleidescape Strato, Xbox One X, Nintendo Switch
Xbox Live: TrackZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-30-2018, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Have you used REW to measure your room? Do you have any room treatments currently?

Otherwise I would NOT suggest ripping everything out and HOPING fewer more expensive speakers sound better.

I highly suggest GIK Acoustics if you want room treatment advice.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
post #3 of 17 Old 04-30-2018, 09:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 3183 Post(s)
Liked: 2978
Wow! I see what you mean by too many speakers! I couldn't agree more with your concept to simplify.

Agree with mikeTRON, even if you spend $10k on L&R speakers, that doesn't necessarily guarantee you great sound. In most cases, where a living room is involved (and WAF, and there WILL be WAF), you are compromising the speakers by poor positioning, bad seating placement, or furnishings not conducive to good sound (wood or tile floors, glass, leather couches, etc). Looking at your pictures, that appears to be a very reverberant room, which often results in audio annoyance instead of audio nirvana.

My suggestion would be to go ahead and sell the current system, since you don't like it (in-wall/in-ceiling is even more compromised than free standing speakers in most cases). Then, go out and do some serious listening to a lot of mid-level speaker systems (say 1.0 - 2.5K per speaker). Spending twice that probably buys you a 5% increase in sound quality. You may find that extra 5% worth the cost, many don't.

Once you find a speaker you like, take it home and try it. If you need the center channel or a sub (and I would guess you will) then you will have plenty of leftover budget to invest in those items. 3.1 or 3.2 may be sufficient for your needs.

All that said, knowing how the sound is reacting in your room will be very helpful in proper speaker positioning and identifying issues that require room treatments. Investing in rew + mic could be your best friend in improving the sound in your room (bear in mind that there is bit of a learning curve). If that sounds too technical or time consuming, then consulting a room treatment expert would be an excellent approach to obtaining a better result.
mthomas47 likes this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 04-30-2018 at 09:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 05-01-2018, 02:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Lol why did you do this in the first place?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
post #5 of 17 Old 05-01-2018, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 999 Post(s)
Liked: 856
Those are a lot of speakers but I see why you did what you did. I'm more of a music guy first but I will say that High end expensive speakers are a waste of money if you are not able to position them correctly in the room. My old 2.0/2.1 system could produce sound all around me and many people would think the side/rear channels where on. I have even had to get up and check a few times. My speakers were positioned very well in my room thanks to this write-up and REW. I do not think you will gain much with the position that you are thinking and it looks like wall treatment is out of the question.

The easy boring thing to do is fix the rattles and/or maybe new subs.
markmanner and mikeTRON250LM like this.
post #6 of 17 Old 05-01-2018, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 2332
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaremyP View Post
* I probably overkilled the Atmos and surround channels. Too many speakers in too small an area all in the ceiling doesn't really differentiate the sound much.
* All that sound just sounds like it's coming from up high.
* The LCRs are better at giving an illusion of being more anchored to ear level, but not 100%.
If I am reading this right with the pics, the LCR is almost touching the ceiling and all the surround and Atmos speakers are in ceiling?

If so, I don't think you can blame the speakers for lack of separation. Dolby specs are clear that the LCR and the surround and rear surrounds need to be ear level or so, but no higher than mid wall; the Atmos speakers go in the ceiling. Speaker placement in an Atmos set is much more important than the brand of speakers.

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technolo...guidelines.pdf

If I were you, I'd focus on what you can do in that room to get the ear-level speakers ear level. As far as subs go, mid 20Hz does sound to me like you have room for improvement and that a more traditional sub that digs below 20Hz would be a benefit. Real subs take up real estate, however.
mthomas47 likes this.
post #7 of 17 Old 05-01-2018, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

@mikeTRON250LM I have not used REW. There's no treatments either. Actually the room (and house) are pretty bad for audio at the moment. No windows treatments on the main floor. Hardwood floors. Lots of flat/hard surfaces. We have a lot of general decorating to do, which is happening slowly.

I'd say in terms of my goals, there's 2 levels to quality. One is surely just good sound over bad sound. The other is improving the logistics of the sound, such as bringing it to ear level and focusing it better to the listening position. Basic stuff first, then can really focus on the space and maximizing quality.

@RayGuy I'm trying to simplify a number of things in my life and this goes along the same lines. I've sold off of some collectible stuff I don't need. Reduced my gaming from costly, harder to manage PCs serving the living room down to just consoles. Focus on lesser things in my life and get more out of what I keep as part of it.

WAF matters for sure.

@Subvivalist When we built the house, we considered a dedicated HT room. I should have stuck with that idea. We had competing priorities for budget and use of space though that left integrating the HT stuff into the living room. I've fought that decision now on various levels for the few years we've been here. For example, getting reliable 18 Gbps HDMI across 40'. Despite allocating HT to the living room, I tried to do too much in retrospect instead of focusing on less quantity and more quality.

There's other aspects to it as well. We've actually considered moving a couple times since building the house. I realize now I put $10k+ into stuff that's stuck in the walls. If we move, you can't take it and won't get 100% of that value back. Buying in-room equipment is a better use of money that keeps 100% of it's value to you.

That said, the cleanliness of everything in-wall is nice at times. It served me well for the last years as my kids aged a bit. I also do like consuming HT content in the living room. At least I'm in the same space with my wife when I play a game or watch a movie she's not interested in. while she's lounging on the same couch. If I had media room downstairs, it would be less desirable to be down there while she's upstairs.

@Blacklightning This pull of trying to do everything, get immersive audio and all that was a big draw. I'm a consummate impatient early technology adopter/tinkerer as well. With regards to the room, it will get treated better (window treatments, rugs, more furniture, ability to treat the ceiling) in short order. I do have some flexibility moving floor-standers around that front wall. Just won't be able to bring them too far out into the room itself.

@jjackkrash Yes and yes. I did this design talking with technical reps from Triad. They recommended doing the in-wall LCRs high and in a direct row on the angled section of wall. I will say those LCRs do often sound they like are coming from the screen. I did the trigonometry to have the centered tweeters fire right to the couch. But it's not 100% and a lot of the sound in the room is higher up in its presence. The angled baffle surrounds really don't bring the sound down like I'd hoped.

In terms of speaker selection, I was initially thinking if I could get away with just deep LRs that can get down low enough, that might be good enough. Again, save on equipment costs and less things in the room. But it seems you have to spend a fortune to get big floor standers that go low and even then you're only into the 20s on most. Unless you go Goldenear or whatnot.

So a sub or two in room is likely in order, and yes, that affords the opportunity to pump some lower bass than I have now. In the other $10k thread, the GE Triton References were eliminated as his contenders though. I have some other feedback in the B&W thread that even an 803 or 802 works much better with a sub.
mthomas47 likes this.

Speakers: Focal Electra 1038 Be x 2, Electra CC 1008 Be, Aria 906 x 8, REL S5 SHO x 2
post #8 of 17 Old 05-01-2018, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
@mikeTRON250LM I have not used REW. There's no treatments either. Actually the room (and house) are pretty bad for audio at the moment. No windows treatments on the main floor. Hardwood floors. Lots of flat/hard surfaces. We have a lot of general decorating to do, which is happening slowly.

I'd say in terms of my goals, there's 2 levels to quality. One is surely just good sound over bad sound. The other is improving the logistics of the sound, such as bringing it to ear level and focusing it better to the listening position. Basic stuff first, then can really focus on the space and maximizing quality.
I have a similar space, which is good for LIVING but TERRIBLE for sound. I spent some time and money testing the room, then building and hanging acoustic panels. I believe it has done a better job at making my system sound good than me taking my speaker and sub budget up 300%.

http://www.gikacoustics.com/zenpro-a...oom-treatment/
post #9 of 17 Old 05-01-2018, 01:22 PM
AVS ***** Member

Mentioned: 391 Post(s)
Quoted: 5770 Post(s)
Liked: 11616
Quote:

@RayGuy I'm trying to simplify a number of things in my life and this goes along the same lines. I've sold off of some collectible stuff I don't need. Reduced my gaming from costly, harder to manage PCs serving the living room down to just consoles. Focus on lesser things in my life and get more out of what I keep as part of it.

WAF matters for sure.

@Subvivalist When we built the house, we considered a dedicated HT room. I should have stuck with that idea. We had competing priorities for budget and use of space though that left integrating the HT stuff into the living room. I've fought that decision now on various levels for the few years we've been here. For example, getting reliable 18 Gbps HDMI across 40'. Despite allocating HT to the living room, I tried to do too much in retrospect instead of focusing on less quantity and more quality.

There's other aspects to it as well. We've actually considered moving a couple times since building the house. I realize now I put $10k+ into stuff that's stuck in the walls. If we move, you can't take it and won't get 100% of that value back. Buying in-room equipment is a better use of money that keeps 100% of it's value to you.

That said, the cleanliness of everything in-wall is nice at times. It served me well for the last years as my kids aged a bit. I also do like consuming HT content in the living room. At least I'm in the same space with my wife when I play a game or watch a movie she's not interested in. while she's lounging on the same couch. If I had media room downstairs, it would be less desirable to be down there while she's upstairs.

@Blacklightning This pull of trying to do everything, get immersive audio and all that was a big draw. I'm a consummate impatient early technology adopter/tinkerer as well. With regards to the room, it will get treated better (window treatments, rugs, more furniture, ability to treat the ceiling) in short order. I do have some flexibility moving floor-standers around that front wall. Just won't be able to bring them too far out into the room itself.

@jjackkrash Yes and yes. I did this design talking with technical reps from Triad. They recommended doing the in-wall LCRs high and in a direct row on the angled section of wall. I will say those LCRs do often sound they like are coming from the screen. I did the trigonometry to have the centered tweeters fire right to the couch. But it's not 100% and a lot of the sound in the room is higher up in its presence. The angled baffle surrounds really don't bring the sound down like I'd hoped.

In terms of speaker selection, I was initially thinking if I could get away with just deep LRs that can get down low enough, that might be good enough. Again, save on equipment costs and less things in the room. But it seems you have to spend a fortune to get big floor standers that go low and even then you're only into the 20s on most. Unless you go Goldenear or whatnot.

So a sub or two in room is likely in order, and yes, that affords the opportunity to pump some lower bass than I have now. In the other $10k thread, the GE Triton References were eliminated as his contenders though. I have some other feedback in the B&W thread that even an 803 or 802 works much better with a sub.
Hi,

FWIW, I like the concept of what you are trying to do. Simplify, and start over with better components. I probably wouldn't think so much in terms of maxing-out a $10,000 budget as much as I would about finding some specific speakers I like. Who knows? You might find some very good ones for about half of your budgeted amount. But, finding front speakers you really like will require some auditioning. In my opinion, buying new speakers is a process, where you audition, short-list your favorites, and then audition some more. It may also take a road trip or two to find places that have speakers that you might want to listen to.

One thing that you said in your first post, though, didn't quite compute for me. You said that you sit about 13' from your display (which sounds fine) and that you want to position two good floorstanders about 7.5' apart in order to create a phantom center. That last part wouldn't be a good use of high-quality floorstanders, in my opinion. You would really want to spread those speakers further apart in order to improve imaging for both music and movies, and to create a wider soundstage than that.

The old rule about trying to create an equilateral triangle between the front speakers and the listening position is still a pretty good one. So, I wouldn't completely rule-out wanting to have a center channel at some point. You might really want to spread the new speakers further apart to take full advantage of them, and when you do that you might still want a center channel for movies. The better imaging and wider soundstage are very desirable and I think you will like them. But then, anchoring dialogue into the center becomes very helpful.

Having a separate center can also give you the opportunity to emphasize the CC volume a little more, relative to the ambient sound produced by the front speakers. That can be very helpful for dialogue intelligibility. It isn't all just about the creation of a good phantom center where movies are concerned. I'm not trying to talk you into anything, just encouraging you to keep the option open. Considering all of that might need to be a factor which influences the selection of your front speakers. Could you add a center channel later, which would be a good timbre match, if you decided you wanted to do it? In my opinion, thinking through this sort of thing will be important to you, this time around.

I completely agree that you will still need at least one good subwoofer if you intend to watch movies and engage in gaming. The LFE channel alone just puts too much strain on most good floorstanders. I also agree that treating the room acoustically will make a huge difference in sound quality--probably more than the specific speakers you select will, although that's a YMMV thing. I don't think that you have to use REW in order to improve your room acoustics, though. REW would facilitate your effort, but you can still get there without it if you want to. Again, the whole thing is really a process, and REW might or might not be one of the steps.

It may take you a little time to get where you want to go. You described yourself as having been a little impatient before, and I think that kind of impatience is pretty typical for all of us with respect to our audio systems. But, it's not your friend here. Slow and steady wins this race. It wouldn't surprise me terribly if, in a year or two, you build your way back to a 5.1 system. But, this time, if you do, you will have done it using better building blocks and knowing why you were adding each carefully selected component of your audio system.

Regards,
Mike

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.

Last edited by mthomas47; 05-01-2018 at 02:25 PM.
post #10 of 17 Old 05-01-2018, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I assume you would have to remodel your front wall to accommodate the 85". If so, I would just do away with the "jetting-out" portion. Hang the new TV up higher on the continuous wall, buy some bookshelves with stands, a center placed on a stand under the new higher mounted tv (maybe on a swivel to view from the kitchen on occasion), two subs, and a large area rug between your couch and the tv. Keep your in ceiling speakers and sell the other items (see dftkell's suggestions below).

-You'll be able to get some money back from selling your current front speakers/subs
-You'll be able to take the new stuff with you if you move
-You will do the new homeowners a favor by not constraining their room set up (I know, that would be their problem...but when buying, people tend to think how their furniture lays out in a room and you'd want to make it as accommodating as possible to attract more buyers).

Last edited by dapakattack; 05-01-2018 at 02:06 PM.
post #11 of 17 Old 05-01-2018, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Hey Jaremy, you've spent a lot of money so far so I would try to see what's fixable before thinking about selling everything off.

Regarding your subs, I would try to do whatever you can to minimize the rattles. Is there insulation in the wall cavity where the subs are? If not, fill it up. If so, fill it up with more. Can the gutters be tightened up? Can other vibrations be minimized with caulk, etc.

Are you using any room correction? (you might have said so already and I missed it.) It's possible that you could have a massive peak in your bass response that is causes the rattling. If that is the case, flattening out that peak, could be a potential fix. Or at lease lessen problem. Many members of this forum use REW which is free. I'm a MAC guy so I use Fuzzmeasure which was pretty simple to use and allowed me to position and dial in my subs nicely.

Yes, your front soundstage is high. But that isn't the biggest problem so let's put that on the back burner for now.

The biggest problem is the cluster-fudge of speakers in your ceiling. If your installer recommended you put your atmos and rear and side surrounds all in the ceiling, then that installer either had no idea what they were talking about OR just wanted to make a sale and said yes to what your were asking without explaining why it shouldn't be done.

I would do one of two things:

1.) Keep your atmos speakers in place and place your surrounds where they should be--at ear level according to atmos specs. This would require buying new speakers. You don't have to overspend on these. You would then be selling your in-ceiling speakers.

Or

2.) Keep you in-ceiling surrounds and sell the atmos speakers. Therefore making it a more traditional 7.2 configuration and just forgetting about atmos.

Assuming your atmos speakers are positioned correctly--although given what the installer allowed happen, I would double check--I would keep the atmos speakers in place and see if you can get new (but not expensive) side and rear surround speakers positioned correctly.

But if having speakers on stands in the right positions isn't doable (I couldn't tell from the pictures) then just get rid of the atmos speakers and go 7.2.
post #12 of 17 Old 05-01-2018, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 2332
Quote:
IMO, while not ideal, the LCR location is much less of a problem than the location of the surround/rear surround speakers in the ceiling. I would suggest doing whatever it takes to get the surrounds/rear surrounds at ear level or, alternatively, just scrap Atmos. Having that mishmash in the ceiling has to be causing signifiant coherence/clarity problems when Atmos or Atmos upmixing is playing.
mikeTRON250LM likes this.
post #13 of 17 Old 05-01-2018, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Especially with no soft materials in the room to absord or defract.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
post #14 of 17 Old 05-01-2018, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

@mthomas47 That methodology makes sense. I was jumping ahead a bit to think of the budget I would have to work with if I went for a full changeover. If I find something that works and I'm happy with, of course, don't need to spend any fixed amount just to spend it.

I'm sure I could play around with positioning some. That bump out in the wall is actually 10' 3" wide, and I'm more like 12' 6" back from the screen. I could end up with LRs on the outside of the bump out. If that ends up performing better with and demanding a center, that's OK. I'd end up with the center under the TV either on a stand or small table/shelf high enough to get the top of it around the bottom of the screen. It's worth planning for.

@dapakattack No to the remodel. The inset where the TV is actually will fit just over a 90". I'm working a friend/dealer now to sell my P75 to one of his clients and upgrade to a Sony 85" 900F. I'm crossing fingers that deal goes down very soon. I actually really like the general design of the bump out framing the TV and making the wall mount install appear very flush and clean.

@dftkell My plan to attack the rattle is to get some stick on type foam, pull the subs, and try to line them with the foam inside the brackets and to the face plates better. Try to dampen that affect. Now that it's warm, I also need to get outside with a ladder and see what I can do with the gutter as well. If I'm lucky, maybe it's just the gutter guard or something is sitting loose in that one area.

I do use room correction. The AV7704 has the Audyssey MultEQ XT32 which I'm using now. It's certain intensity and frequency of sound that causes the rattle. For example, I just watched Blade Runner 2049. In the beginning part, there were distinct moments affecting the gutter outside and then making the subs themselves rattle inside.

This room will not ever take ear level surrounds the way it's all laid out, unfortunately. Doing so would put the R surround basically next to the fireplace right at a window. The L surround would be standing in the open space between the living room and kitchen/dining area. I'd never get those cables routed now (finished basement) and no way that goes past WAF. Hence, my focus on maximizing the front sound stage as immersive as possible and hopefully being happy with that. I can sell her on putting the front array in-room, but not surrounds.

I ran 4 speakers in the ceiling from 2013 - 2016 in 7.2 before adding the extra speakers for Atmos. Keeping even the surrounds in the ceiling still makes all the sound come from on high. Even the 7.2 was unnatural and distracting now.

@mikeTRON250LM and @jjackkrash The soft materials will get dealt with. The was custom architecture and built. We moved in during late 2013. Spent 2014 finishing up build items. 2015 we dropped like $60k on landscaping, walkways, patio, and such. 2016 we just cooled off on spending money and decisions. 2017 we started furnishing, with outdoor furniture, new kitchen table, and now working on our office. Our kids rooms are set now too. It's master bedroom, foyer, and living room that's left to go. We also have one last cat that's getting old and starting to puke more around the house. I'm adamant that I'm not buying nice quality rugs or couch until he's gone, and we are (finally for ideally forever more) pet free.

post #15 of 17 Old 05-01-2018, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

For reference, here's a full panoramic of the room.

Eventually, the windows will all get treated. A big, plush rug is planned. New and bigger furniture for more seating.

The fireplace, while a hard surface, is ledgestone so it's not a flat surface. Serves to diffract reflections.

The back wall is all bookcases, aside from the openings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pano Small.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	2397970  

post #16 of 17 Old 05-01-2018, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 898 Post(s)
Liked: 731
You know, there's no reason you couldn't put bookshelf speakers in the...bookshelves. You could have a very decent 5.2.4 setup if you could find a way to fish the speaker wire to the back.
jjackkrash and RayGuy like this.
post #17 of 17 Old 05-02-2018, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpig View Post
You know, there's no reason you couldn't put bookshelf speakers in the...bookshelves. You could have a very decent 5.2.4 setup if you could find a way to fish the speaker wire to the back.
I'm so used to the bookshelves being for the kids stuff, I honestly hadn't even really thought about that. There's a level of shelves that about couch level height that would be perfect. The tweeters of a Revel or B&W bookshelf, for example, would sit just slightly above ear level when seated on the couch.

I could even probably retain 7.2.4 doing this. Leave the center 4 overhead speakers in. Pull the side and rear surround positions. Put the surrounds farther out to the edges of the bookcase toed in slightly and the rear surrounds would sit on the 2 shelves basically right behind the center seating position.

It might not be easy getting speaker wire to those spots, but I think it's possible based on the adjacent access of other rooms and such. This is really compelling...

I'd have to some carpentry as well. One cubby space wouldn't be enough. I'd have to remove the inner shelf to make a vertical double cubby as many bookshelves are 15" or so high, but that wouldn't be so difficult to do. I'll mock this up in a photo.

Thanks!
jjackkrash, sigpig and RayGuy like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page