Speaker Placement Polk Audio 7.1 System - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By shs1234

post #1 of 17 Old 05-02-2018, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Speaker Placement Polk Audio 7.1 System

my curent setup is the following

fronts Polk Audio RTIA7
center Polk Audio Lsic
Surrounds Side & Rears Polk Audio FxiA4

So this is what i would like to do... my rears dont have the greatest placement so I would like to replace the FxiA4's in the rears with in ceiling speakers..

My concerns/questions

1. Can i pair fxia4's with in ceiling speakers? if not what should i replace my sides with
2. what in ceiling speakers would be a good match

Thanks in advance for the input and suggestions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-02-2018, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desisuperman View Post
my curent setup is the following

fronts Polk Audio RTIA7
center Polk Audio Lsic

So this is what i would like to do... my rears dont have the greatest placement so I would like to replace the FxiA4's in the rears with in ceiling speakers..

My concerns/questions

1. Can i pair fxia4's with in ceiling speakers? if not what should i replace my sides with
2. what in ceiling speakers would be a good match

Thanks in advance for the input and suggestions
Yes you can pair your sides with in ceilings for rear surrounds. The only problem being you wouldn’t want to have in ceiling surrounds and then use in ceiling for Atmos as well.

As far as what kind, every person will have a different answer. I don’t think I’m ceiling speakers need to be very expensive. People spending thousands of dollars on in ceiling speakers baffles me.

I wouldn’t worry about price as much as size and efficiency. I’d get minimum a 6” but preferably a 8” with a tweeter than can be directed to the MLP.

Good luck

| Eqmt | Vizio 4K M50-E1 | Yamaha RX-V681 | iNUKE 3kdsp x2 | Emotiva BasX A-100 | miniDSP UMIK-1 | Monolith M1060 | Monolith USB DAC |
| Sub | Trilithon | Stonehenge Variant Subwoofer - 18” - 9ft³ - 19Hz | Marty | Microcube 390HO - 22Hz | Monolith THX Ultra 12 | Monolith THX Select 10 |
| Spkrs | HSU CCB8 x3 | SVS Prime Elevation x2 | Polk S15 |
post #3 of 17 Old 05-14-2018, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBateman View Post
Yes you can pair your sides with in ceilings for rear surrounds. The only problem being you wouldn’t want to have in ceiling surrounds and then use in ceiling for Atmos as well.

As far as what kind, every person will have a different answer. I don’t think I’m ceiling speakers need to be very expensive. People spending thousands of dollars on in ceiling speakers baffles me.

I wouldn’t worry about price as much as size and efficiency. I’d get minimum a 6” but preferably a 8” with a tweeter than can be directed to the MLP.

Good luck

For a Dolby Atmos setup, does it need to be setup exactly the way Dolby recommends it? They way they recommend it is not an option for me ie. floor standing speakers in the rear.

Is their alternative setups to what their recommendation is?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 05-14-2018, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desisuperman View Post
For a Dolby Atmos setup, does it need to be setup exactly the way Dolby recommends it? They way they recommend it is not an option for me ie. floor standing speakers in the rear.

Is their alternative setups to what their recommendation is?
I mean more less..

If you’re asking if you can use in ceiling rear surrounds with in ceiling Atmos speakers, well sure you could...
Although you won’t get the separation needed for the Atmos effects which kind of neglects the point of having Atmos.

I don’t know what your room setup is like but rears on stands or mounted on wall would be ideal with Atmos.

Edit: if you’re wanting to go from 5.1 to 7.1.x I’d recommend just sticking with your 5.1 setup if rears can’t be placed properly and go 5.1.4

| Eqmt | Vizio 4K M50-E1 | Yamaha RX-V681 | iNUKE 3kdsp x2 | Emotiva BasX A-100 | miniDSP UMIK-1 | Monolith M1060 | Monolith USB DAC |
| Sub | Trilithon | Stonehenge Variant Subwoofer - 18” - 9ft³ - 19Hz | Marty | Microcube 390HO - 22Hz | Monolith THX Ultra 12 | Monolith THX Select 10 |
| Spkrs | HSU CCB8 x3 | SVS Prime Elevation x2 | Polk S15 |
post #5 of 17 Old 11-16-2018, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBateman View Post
I mean more less..

If you’re asking if you can use in ceiling rear surrounds with in ceiling Atmos speakers, well sure you could...
Although you won’t get the separation needed for the Atmos effects which kind of neglects the point of having Atmos.

I don’t know what your room setup is like but rears on stands or mounted on wall would be ideal with Atmos.

Edit: if you’re wanting to go from 5.1 to 7.1.x I’d recommend just sticking with your 5.1 setup if rears can’t be placed properly and go 5.1.4
I'm looking at Atmos setups but due to the configuration of the room it doesn't look like it's going to happen. no matter what I do my sides (currently fix a4) they can't be moved and they fire directly from the sides.

having said that I want to replace my fxi a4's for the surround rears with ceiling speakers and keep the ones at the side. Does the speaker placement remain the same if I use in-ceiling speakers and what's recommended for my setup?

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/su...7-1-setup.html

I was looking at the 80 F/X R-T

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_10780F...-80F-X-RT.html

Am i on the right track here?

Thanks for the input and suggestions
post #6 of 17 Old 11-18-2018, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

anybody?
post #7 of 17 Old 11-18-2018, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2602 Post(s)
Liked: 2352
Go 5.1.4, and forget the rear speakers in the base level.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #8 of 17 Old 11-18-2018, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Go 5.1.4, and forget the rear speakers in the base level.
If I went with the 5.1.4 setup is it ok if my side surrounds are directly at 90 degrees. Will the receiver adjust for this minor variance? The ceiling speakers will need to be adjusted accordingly as well in this situation
post #9 of 17 Old 11-18-2018, 06:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Side surrounds can typically be placed anywhere from 80 to 120 degrees from your seated ears. Exactly 90 degrees is fine, assuming there is some distance between the speaker and your ears, otherwise you end up with one speaker dominating the experience. if that is going to be the case, raise the speaker so that it can be seen from all seats (direct line of sight to all seating positions) but do not exceed 50% of the floor to ceiling height. If that does not work, you can go forward to 80 degrees or back to get the line of sight without the "in your ear" phenomenon.

Most speakers are good up to 30 degrees off center, so keep that in mind when placing your Atmos speakers. You can add additional angle, if the speakers themselves are angled. For instance, the RSL CG34 in-ceiling speaker has a built-in 15 degree angle, so that speaker can be placed up to 45 degrees from the seated position, while most speakers that aim directly downward, should be within the 30 degrees.

Dolby has some guidelines for 5.1.4 speaker placement, check them out.

Last edited by RayGuy; 11-18-2018 at 07:09 PM.
post #10 of 17 Old 11-19-2018, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Side surrounds can typically be placed anywhere from 80 to 120 degrees from your seated ears. Exactly 90 degrees is fine, assuming there is some distance between the speaker and your ears, otherwise you end up with one speaker dominating the experience. if that is going to be the case, raise the speaker so that it can be seen from all seats (direct line of sight to all seating positions) but do not exceed 50% of the floor to ceiling height. If that does not work, you can go forward to 80 degrees or back to get the line of sight without the "in your ear" phenomenon.

Most speakers are good up to 30 degrees off center, so keep that in mind when placing your Atmos speakers. You can add additional angle, if the speakers themselves are angled. For instance, the RSL CG34 in-ceiling speaker has a built-in 15 degree angle, so that speaker can be placed up to 45 degrees from the seated position, while most speakers that aim directly downward, should be within the 30 degrees.

Dolby has some guidelines for 5.1.4 speaker placement, check them out.
Great ... thanks for the info.
post #11 of 17 Old 11-19-2018, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 164
In a 7.1 system it is OK to place the side speakers at 90° or even 80° to get separation from the back surrounds. For a 5.1 system slightly behind the MLP (110°-120‚ is better.
RayGuy likes this.

SONY VPL-VW385ES, Da-Lite 92" 0.9 HD progressive 16x9 screen, Apple TV 4K, HDFury Integral 2, Oppo UDP 203, Panasonic DP-UB820, Anthem AVM 60, D-Sonic 4000 (800x3, 400x4) for bed layer, 2 Crown XLS 1002 (225x4) for Atmos; Speakers: Polk LSiM 705s, 703 front, 4 702F/X surround, 4 Polk TL3 (Atmos), Dual Velodyne DD15 Subwoofers.
post #12 of 17 Old 07-04-2019, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

I have a pair of Polk Audio RTI A3 's . Can I use these with the FXI A4 'S in bipole mode to achieve Dolby Atmos 7.1 ? If so, where would I play the Polk Audio RTI A3 's , at the side or rear?

I actually have have two pairs of Polk Audio RTI A3 's however they're just so big and take up way to much space so I wan to avoid using them as a my sides however, it's very tempting....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	speaker-placement-7.1-dolby.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	2587660  

Last edited by Desisuperman; 07-05-2019 at 12:01 AM.
post #13 of 17 Old 07-05-2019, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

There seems to be some confusion here, as there is no Dolby Atmos in a 7.1 set up. Atmos is the third position in the group, i.e. 7.1.4, where you have 4 speakers mounted on or in the ceiling. In order to have Dolby Atmos, you must have the processing to decode it and the amplifiers to reproduce it. For a 7.1.4 setup, you would need a receiver that decodes and reproduces all 11 channels (7+4).

post #14 of 17 Old 07-05-2019, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

got it!

a few more questions

1. Can bipole speakers (Polk Audio FXI A4) be used as my side surrounds in a 5.1.4 setup.

2. What would be a good match for my setup for the in ceiling speakers if I stuck with polk audio?

3. Any harm in mixing speakers with another brand for the in ceiling speakers in order to achieve 5.1.4? If not would would be a good match? ie. Definitive DT6.5R

4. If I decided to go with another brand for my sides would what's recommended? And once again, any harm in doing so?

fronts Polk Audio RTIA7
center Polk Audio Lsic

I also have 2 pairs of RTI A3 's that i'm not using for anything at the moment.

Last edited by Desisuperman; 07-05-2019 at 10:27 PM.
post #15 of 17 Old 07-06-2019, 08:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Using matching (the tweeter, at least) is preferable, but not a requirement. Most receivers perform room tuning, which alters the speakers for best performance. If the fronts and surrounds sound different, they will be altered to sound more alike, but don't expect a sow's ear to be turned into a silk purse! These processing algorithms are limited in their abilities.

If you are interested in 4 channel audio, then having identical speaker all around is best, but few have that requirement.

For in-ceiling, you can go Polk or another brand, and the same receiver processing applies (as described above). For in-ceiling speakers, the most important characteristic is to have proper coverage of all the seats. Using angled speakers (entire speaker, not just the tweeter) helps to improve the coverage area. If you have exceptionally wide or deep seating, or your ceiling is low, then angled speakers may be a requirement.

I recently discussed this in some detail here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...l#post58233702

Bi-pole speakers are not generally recommended, however, some folks have used them to good advantage when the surround speakers are exceptionally close to a seated listener (re-read the comments in post 9, above). A diagram of your layout would be helpful (and/or pics) in deducing the need for a bi-polar solution.

Last edited by RayGuy; 07-06-2019 at 09:03 PM.
post #16 of 17 Old 07-07-2019, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Using matching (the tweeter, at least) is preferable, but not a requirement. Most receivers perform room tuning, which alters the speakers for best performance. If the fronts and surrounds sound different, they will be altered to sound more alike, but don't expect a sow's ear to be turned into a silk purse! These processing algorithms are limited in their abilities.

If you are interested in 4 channel audio, then having identical speaker all around is best, but few have that requirement.

For in-ceiling, you can go Polk or another brand, and the same receiver processing applies (as described above). For in-ceiling speakers, the most important characteristic is to have proper coverage of all the seats. Using angled speakers (entire speaker, not just the tweeter) helps to improve the coverage area. If you have exceptionally wide or deep seating, or your ceiling is low, then angled speakers may be a requirement.

I recently discussed this in some detail here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...l#post58233702

Bi-pole speakers are not generally recommended, however, some folks have used them to good advantage when the surround speakers are exceptionally close to a seated listener (re-read the comments in post 9, above). A diagram of your layout would be helpful (and/or pics) in deducing the need for a bi-polar solution.
If i sit in the center of my couch I have about 6 ft of distance to both speakers.
post #17 of 17 Old 07-07-2019, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

At 6 feet, you can probably get away with regular speakers, if you position them at 100 or 110 degrees and raise them a foot or so above your seated ear level. Try it out and see how that works (any speaker will do for the test), before going down the bipolar road.

Given that you have rear surrounds, try 80 degrees, which is not Dolby recommended, but has received some positive "press" here in the forum. Also, be sure to test while sitting at the extreme sides of the couch, so you do not end up with "speaker in the ear" syndrome for those seating positions (and the guests that will have to endure them).

Last edited by RayGuy; 07-07-2019 at 02:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page