Large volume room...struggling with speaker selection. - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 35Likes

post #31 of 39 Old 05-08-2018, 06:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by smj4president View Post
I too am blessed/cursed with a large volume great room. Mine is somewhere around 6000 cubic feet due to sloped 20+ foot ceilings and it opens to pretty much the rest of the home. I currently run 3 hsu ccb8 up front C/L/R, two mirage towers I got off Craigslist for 50$, a hsu vtf15 mk3, a behringer eurolive 1200d, and my weak link a denon avrx13000(I need to upgrade this to a 4300 asap). Honestly even with the lame output of my receiver this theatre thumps. Does it “pressurize” the ridiculous space it’s in? Nope. That’d be asking too much honestly. But will it shake the walls and your seat? Hell yeah. I suggest you look into near field placement of your sub, it will make a difference from the main seating position. And I also suggest looking into if a mid bass sub is for you. My behringer really brought this theatre to venoms like levels, it sits right behind the main couch, and the tactile response is so theatre like. Since you have the pioneer receiver already you could do this well within budget, 1100$ for ccb8, 900$ for vtf15, 300$ for behringer sub and go craigslist/offer up for surrounds. Some might say it’s crazy I have the towers as rears in my setup but they’re perfect there, 4 inch drivers(smallish), not particularly efficient, tweeter are mounted on the top at just the right height for my seating so they just fit in perfect as rears.

How do the CCB 8’s image and does the coaxial design disperse well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 05-08-2018, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by brireeves629 View Post

They image incredibly well for how crazy you have to toe them in

Also with dispersion I don’t think there’s any draw back with them being coaxial if you have them placed correctly. Although I’m using one as my center channel and even though I’m the only person to use my HT there’s not a seat that doesn’t have the “sweet spot”
brireeves629 likes this.

| Eqmt | Vizio 4K M50-E1 | Yamaha RX-V681 | iNUKE 3kdsp x2 | Emotiva BasX A-100 | miniDSP UMIK-1 | Monolith M1060 | Monolith USB DAC |
| Sub | Trilithon | Stonehenge Variant Subwoofer - 18” - 9ft³ - 19Hz | Marty | Microcube 390HO - 22Hz | Monolith THX Ultra 12 | Monolith THX Select 10 |
| Spkrs | HSU CCB8 x3 | SVS Prime Elevation x2 | Polk S15 |
post #33 of 39 Old 05-08-2018, 09:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBateman View Post
They image incredibly well for how crazy you have to toe them in

Also with dispersion I don’t think there’s any draw back with them being coaxial if you have them placed correctly. Although I’m using one as my center channel and even though I’m the only person to use my HT there’s not a seat that doesn’t have the “sweet spot”

How is the center location working out? I'm considering trying a center above the screen as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 39 Old 05-08-2018, 11:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danonano View Post
How is the center location working out? I'm considering trying a center above the screen as well.
Well I’d say that’d depends on how high the center channel is.

For example I have a 50” and the center of the TV is exactly at eye level looking straight ahead. I have my center mounted directly above my tv where the bottom of the cabinet is touching the top of the TV bezel aimed slightly downwards where the tweeter is basically aiming at ear level. But, if I had to mount it say 2’ higher I’d probably just move the TV mount rather than the center channel.
palehorse likes this.

| Eqmt | Vizio 4K M50-E1 | Yamaha RX-V681 | iNUKE 3kdsp x2 | Emotiva BasX A-100 | miniDSP UMIK-1 | Monolith M1060 | Monolith USB DAC |
| Sub | Trilithon | Stonehenge Variant Subwoofer - 18” - 9ft³ - 19Hz | Marty | Microcube 390HO - 22Hz | Monolith THX Ultra 12 | Monolith THX Select 10 |
| Spkrs | HSU CCB8 x3 | SVS Prime Elevation x2 | Polk S15 |
post #35 of 39 Old 05-09-2018, 01:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse View Post
i've got $2750 to work with for the entire 5.1 or 5.2 speaker arrangement in this large volume room. The room itself is rectangular, which is nice, but it's very open to the rest of what you see in the sketch below (vaulted ceilings, no doors, wide openings, massive open foyer for split-level landing, etc).

The system will be used primarily for loud ht (action movies), but the owner (my father) will also play a lot of music at low/moderate volumes (primarily classical and classic rock) every day. The entire setup will be powered by a pioneer elite sc-lx701.

Here's my current plan, but i'm open to any/all suggestions:

subwoofer: Hsu vtf-15h mk2 ($900)
front l/r: Emotiva airmotiv t2 towers ($1000/pr)
center: Emotiva airmotiv c2 ($370)
rear surround: Emotiva airmotiv e2 ($460/pr) (planning to experiment with di/bipole setting to see which works best in the large space)

total: ~$2730 + shipping

please note that any alternative solution involving bookshelf speakers will need to include the price for stands/wallmounts in that $2750. Also note that, unfortunately, i can't wait for parts to become available on the used markets, as this entire system needs to be ordered in the next few days.

With all of the awesome new speaker options in this price range from ascend, hsu, elac, etc., i'm really struggling with these sight-unseen selections.

Would i be better off with something like five ccb-8's + vtf-15h sub in this large space?

Any ideas would be much appreciated. Please and thank you!
£750 +shipping for 5 full range planars
post #36 of 39 Old 05-09-2018, 01:19 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse View Post
I've got $2750 to work with for the entire 5.1 or 5.2 speaker arrangement in this large volume room. The room itself is rectangular, which is nice, but it's very open to the rest of what you see in the sketch below (vaulted ceilings, no doors, wide openings, massive open foyer for split-level landing, etc).

The system will be used primarily for loud HT (action movies), but the owner (my father) will also play a lot of music at low/moderate volumes (primarily classical and classic rock) every day. The entire setup will be powered by a Pioneer Elite SC-LX701.

Here's my current plan, but I'm open to any/all suggestions:

SUBWOOFER: Hsu VTF-15H MK2 ($900)
FRONT L/R: Emotiva Airmotiv T2 Towers ($1000/pr)
CENTER: Emotiva Airmotiv C2 ($370)
REAR SURROUND: Emotiva Airmotiv E2 ($460/pr) (planning to experiment with di/bipole setting to see which works best in the large space)

TOTAL: ~$2730 + shipping

Please note that any alternative solution involving bookshelf speakers will need to include the price for stands/wallmounts in that $2750. Also note that, unfortunately, I can't wait for parts to become available on the used markets, as this entire system needs to be ordered in the next few days.

With all of the awesome new speaker options in this price range from Ascend, Hsu, Elac, etc., I'm really struggling with these sight-unseen selections.

Would I be better off with something like five CCB-8's + VTF-15H sub in this large space?

Any ideas would be much appreciated. Please and thank you!
5 full range planars hung from ceiling, DIY £800 + shipping
post #37 of 39 Old 05-09-2018, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbos View Post
5 full range planars hung from ceiling, DIY £800 + shipping
link please

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Goldenear supersat 60C,
SSR DIYSG Volt 6v2. RSS Volt 6, Atmos(.4) Boston acoustics soundware XS
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
post #38 of 39 Old 05-09-2018, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsabom View Post
I think either approach will do you well. I have heard the CCB-8's and they are awesome. I can't vouch for the emotives but they get lots of recommendations. the pioneer receiver is a solid choice feature wise. if you could add 1 or 2 outboard zone amps driving ceiling speakers for the kitchen and dining rooms, it could really enhance the whole set up.

good luck and post your results!
I also thought the HSU CCB-8's sounded good at Axpona. I was shocked by how big these speakers are. I also did not like the yellow cone, even with the grills on.
post #39 of 39 Old 05-22-2018, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by brireeves629 View Post

The image better than anything I personally have owned or heard. I used to have 2-3 sweet spots with my old set up, similar positioning accept for the center Chanel being between the av center ant tv. The ccb8s literally have a sweet field of like 120 degrees probably. I didn’t know what to expect truly until after the switch. I honestly didn’t respect imaging and clarity nearly as much before I had these speakers. Sometimes things happen in movies and it’s so damn clear and positioned that it tricks people watching it into looking for something in the room. I cannot state how satisfied with these speakers I am.
palehorse and brireeves629 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page