Desperately need help with fronts in new home theater - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 Old 05-16-2018, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Eric 22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NJ
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Desperately need help with fronts in new home theater

Hey all, long long time lurker, first time post. a bit of background first...

I have been rocking the wife approved pioneer andrew jones setup in the apartment living room for a few years, they have served me wonderfully, but we just moved, and I was so kindly given a basement room to work some magic on.

ROOM WILL BE 60% 4k streaming movies and shows, 20% football and live tv, 20% gaming. not much music down there.
BUDGET for the 3 fronts- i would love to stay under $1500, but not at the expense of near perfection. I am willing to go slightly over budget, but only for a major jump in quality and sound.

room is 13 ft wide, 33 ft long, 6'9" ceilings, with a soffit at about 5.5' 1 foot wide along one of the long walls. the second half of the room has a step up and ceilings back there are about 6'. in the middle of the long wall, across from the soffit wall is the doorway to enter the room, except there is no door. the room connected to it is roughly 200sqft, with 2 small basment windows. theater room has NO windows. listening position will be at 11-12 feet (flexible), most likely a sectional sofa, with the hot seat right in the middle of the room.

TV is a sony 75" 900 series 4k. it will be mounted, with a short maybe 5' wide cabinet on the floor centered under the TV. it will be fully enclosed in the front, so no components will be visible, the center channel will sit on top.

i wired the room for 5.2.4. 4 in ceiling speakers will be ceiling mounted, at same line as towers, front pair will be about 2.5 feet in front of listening position, and rear 2 will be same distance behind. they are about 5.5' apart front to back, and roughly 7 feet apart side to side.

equipment i already purchased-
- yamaha rx-a2070
- svs prime satellite speakers
- svs pb1000 x 2
- 4 jbl arena 6.5" ceiling speakers

I need to choose my fronts. I would love to power them all on the yammy, but fully understand that i may need an amp.

---NARROWED DOWN OPTIONS- PLEASE BE COMPLETELY HONEST (FYI- i dont have time to audition all of these speakers, Im in NJ, close to nyc, but with the job, and getting the new house in tip top shape for the family, i just cannot dedicate time to go around to different shops and audition speakers, nor order a bunch and return. I have enough stuff to return from amazon alone. I understand i am shooting in the dark here, but thats why i am here. Im sure i will love any of the following speakers in my setup, but am hoping i can make the best decision, and not be forced to return them after the fact)

1- KEF Q series - i can get 700s and 650C from accessories4less in my budget
2- KEF Q series - 550/650C brand new
3- KEF T series - they just dont seem so exciting
4- Paradigm Monitor SE 6000/2000c (least expensive option, would have plenty left in budget for amp)
5- Paradigm monitor 11 v7/ center 3
6- B&W 684s2/HTM62s2
7- SVS Prime towers and prime OR ultra center (would keep the 5.2 in the same family)
8- Elac Uni-fi UF5 (also would leave plenty $ for amp)
9- i hate do say it, and if there will be repercussions, i am prepared for it - Klipsch RP 280/260 and RP 450/440C

I am trying to get an order placed asap, i have been watching tv on an ipad pro since the move 2 weeks ago. i know, poor me. I appreciate any and all advice and thanks for taking the time to help a fella out!

PS. will be researching acoustic panels while i wait for some feedback, so any input on that would be awesome as well.
Eric 22 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 37 Old 05-16-2018, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 12,311
Mentioned: 215 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6912 Post(s)
Liked: 5198
Are you open to options NOT on that list? Or are you pretty much set on that list exclusively?

Also, are pretty looks important at all, or are you more into functionality rather than form?

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
post #3 of 37 Old 05-16-2018, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Eric 22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NJ
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Are you open to options NOT on that list? Or are you pretty much set on that list exclusively?

Also, are pretty looks important at all, or are you more into functionality rather than form?
i am opened to other options, those are the speakers that i have done research on. also, they are easy to get. most dealers and shops around me each focus on 2-3 brands of speakers, so it makes it a bit harder to source speakers that i would not want to buy online.
looks are important to a degree. the towers will be pretty exposed, i would not want to put super ugly speakers up front. all of the above mentioned speakers pass the looks test if that helps.
Eric 22 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 37 Old 05-16-2018, 07:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
torii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 6,692
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3320 Post(s)
Liked: 1873
if not going to be listening to music, I like klipsch speakers alot for hometheater/tv/gaming
Dark Matter likes this.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
torii is online now  
post #5 of 37 Old 05-16-2018, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jjackkrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,276
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 2328
Three of these (or with center option):

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...m/cmt340m.html

Then take the budget savings and amp budget and sell your subs and apply all the proceeds to bigger, better subs:

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/FV15HP.html

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_...SABEgLFuPD_BwE

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3mk5HP.html
jjackkrash is offline  
post #6 of 37 Old 05-16-2018, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
craig john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 11,591
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1155 Post(s)
Liked: 1411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric 22 View Post
i am opened to other options, those are the speakers that i have done research on. also, they are easy to get. most dealers and shops around me each focus on 2-3 brands of speakers, so it makes it a bit harder to source speakers that i would not want to buy online.
looks are important to a degree. the towers will be pretty exposed, i would not want to put super ugly speakers up front. all of the above mentioned speakers pass the looks test if that helps.
Does your "research" include listening to them? Basically what you're asking is for some anonymous people on the internet to tell you what speakers you will like. You don't know them, or their backgrounds or tastes. They don't know you, or yours. You're gonna end up with a hundred different recommendations, all of them telling you that their speakers are the best, or great, or "I'm loving them." And that's great... for them. But it's pretty much meaningless for you.

Speakers are a personal choice and no one can tell you what speakers you'll like. The ones you listed all have different sound signatures. They're all gonna sound different. You can't tell what they'll sound like by looking at spec's, (most specs are BS anyway.) The ONLY way to know what speakers you'll like is to go listen to them. If you get suggestions here that seem interesting to you, please try to listen to the speakers before you open your wallet.

Good luck and enjoy the process.

Craig

PS. GIK Acoustics for acoustic treatments: http://www.gikacoustics.com/
iliasmd, darthray and smithsabom like this.

Lombardi said it:
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System
craig john is offline  
post #7 of 37 Old 05-16-2018, 07:13 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 12,311
Mentioned: 215 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6912 Post(s)
Liked: 5198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric 22 View Post
i am opened to other options, those are the speakers that i have done research on. also, they are easy to get. most dealers and shops around me each focus on 2-3 brands of speakers, so it makes it a bit harder to source speakers that i would not want to buy online.
looks are important to a degree. the towers will be pretty exposed, i would not want to put super ugly speakers up front. all of the above mentioned speakers pass the looks test if that helps.
OK, well I don't know if these will pass your looks test, but here goes:

1. Hsu CCB-8 x 3 --- only if you are not dead set on towers

2. JBL Studio 590 --- very unique looks, but people rave about their detail and immersive soundstage, PLUS you get free return shipping from jbl.com so it's a zero risk proposition --- currently on sale at half off regular price so a pair would be $1K and a Studio 235 center would add $380 to that

3. Emotiva T2 + C2 center --- also unique looks, "Batmobile style" is how I'd describe them...but truly outstanding bang for the buck, those AMT tweeters are outstanding for movies, super detailed/clear without any treble harshness.

4. Ascend 340SE x 3 --- you can get tower-looking pedestal stands for these which are also sand-fillable to +100lbs making them super child/pet-safe, they are very neutral/accurate and 3 of them with the stands will be just $1K...longtime forum favorite, these are probably the safest choice together with the Emotivas if buying unheard. These can be driven to super loud/dynamic levels WITHOUT any external amps, very clean and natural sound.

From your list I would eliminate 6 and 8 for being too warm for a non-music system, as well as 3.
jjackkrash and DaBateman like this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
post #8 of 37 Old 05-16-2018, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Eric 22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NJ
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
OK, well I don't know if these will pass your looks test, but here goes:

1. Hsu CCB-8 x 3 --- only if you are not dead set on towers

2. JBL Studio 590 --- very unique looks, but people rave about their detail and immersive soundstage, PLUS you get free return shipping from jbl.com so it's a zero risk proposition --- currently on sale at half off regular price so a pair would be $1K and a Studio 235 center would add $380 to that

3. Emotiva T2 + C2 center --- also unique looks, "Batmobile style" is how I'd describe them...but truly outstanding bang for the buck, those AMT tweeters are outstanding for movies, super detailed/clear without any treble harshness.

4. Ascend 340SE x 3 --- you can get tower-looking pedestal stands for these which are also sand-fillable to +100lbs making them super child/pet-safe, they are very neutral/accurate and 3 of them with the stands will be just $1K...longtime forum favorite, these are probably the safest choice together with the Emotivas if buying unheard. These can be driven to super loud/dynamic levels WITHOUT any external amps, very clean and natural sound.

From your list I would eliminate 6 and 8 for being too warm for a non-music system, as well as 3.
Thanks for the response. the JBLs do seem like an amazing value at that price. Should i be looking for 3 way towers specifically or is it something that i should not pay much attention to? i was trying to narrow down the towers to 3 way for lack of a better understanding. Also the JBL are horn tweeters, would you put them above the Klipsch in sound and quality? If i would go JBL, i would get the 590 matching center, unless there is something i dont know, or a reason to get the 235, which is backordered till july.

The emotiva do look awesome also, and have read nothing but great things. How do they stack up against those JBLs and the Ascend?

am i good to go with dual pb1000s? thats what svs recommended. The order ships tomorrow, if i save some money on the speakers, i am opened to upgrade now to the 2000s, but have decided i definitely want to give svs pb's a try for sub duty.

lastly, how do these recommendations stack up to the SVS prime towers and center? What would you do in my shoes...
Eric 22 is offline  
post #9 of 37 Old 05-16-2018, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
torii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 6,692
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3320 Post(s)
Liked: 1873
I always think and recommend the largest subs you can fit/afford.


in this price range I probably would buy the speakers I found to be the bast bang for the buck and that would play loud enough with the gear I had.
Eric 22 likes this.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
torii is online now  
post #10 of 37 Old 05-16-2018, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Eric 22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NJ
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4
one thing i am set on is dual subs

if i did change the order (if its not too late), would anyone recommend dual svs pb2000 or dual hsu vtf2? dual vtf 3, plus shipping and tax would put the subs way over the top in budget, i cannot justify spending more than $1600 on subs

Last edited by Eric 22; 05-16-2018 at 08:03 PM.
Eric 22 is offline  
post #11 of 37 Old 05-16-2018, 07:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
torii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 6,692
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3320 Post(s)
Liked: 1873
I know a few audiophiles that really like elac 6.2's


https://www.amazon.com/ELAC-F6-2-Deb...words=elac+6.2


straight from elac and cheaper too:



https://www.amazon.com/Elac-Debut-Fl...words=elac+6.2





might want to read about them here on avs...have a thread called elac debuts 2.0 or something

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP

Last edited by torii; 05-16-2018 at 08:04 PM.
torii is online now  
post #12 of 37 Old 05-16-2018, 07:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 12,311
Mentioned: 215 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6912 Post(s)
Liked: 5198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric 22 View Post
Thanks for the response. the JBLs do seem like an amazing value at that price. Should i be looking for 3 way towers specifically or is it something that i should not pay much attention to? i was trying to narrow down the towers to 3 way for lack of a better understanding. Also the JBL are horn tweeters, would you put them above the Klipsch in sound and quality? If i would go JBL, i would get the 590 matching center, unless there is something i dont know, or a reason to get the 235, which is backordered till july.

The emotiva do look awesome also, and have read nothing but great things. How do they stack up against those JBLs and the Ascend?

am i good to go with dual pb1000s? thats what svs recommended. The order ships tomorrow, if i save some money on the speakers, i am opened to upgrade now to the 2000s, but have decided i definitely want to give svs pb's a try for sub duty.

lastly, how do these recommendations stack up to the SVS prime towers and center? What would you do in my shoes...
3-way supposedly has more detail than 2-way, but in my experience that's mainly noticeable when it comes to center speakers, since centers do 80% of the output during HT/TV use.

The Emotiva C2 (and C1) are both 3-way centers. I have the C1 and would say it's the best center I've ever owned or heard, voices are super clear and easy to understand even at low/moderate volumes.

The "matching" center for the JBL 590 is actually the puny 520, which only has twin 4" woofers and a few folks have not been much impressed with them, that's why I recommended the 235 instead with its 6.5" woofers.

The main advantage of the Ascends is that they will be able to play at extremely loud volumes without needing any external amp. If you mostly listen at 70-80db like most folks however, this is not so important...you can download an SPL meter app to your smartphone or tablet and get a rough measurement as to what average loudness levels you normally use.

I'm glad to hear that you haven't actually ordered the PB1000s yet. At the $500 range they have been roundly beaten out by the recently released Monolith 10" THX sub...I'd order a pair of those instead, or move up to a pair of Hsu VTF-2 for an extra $200 or so.

The SVS Prime series I would personally stay away from...I home auditioned the Prime bookshelves and sent them back almost immediately, I found them to have some treble peaks that made many types of music downright painful to listen to. For HT they would be ok, but you can get much better for the same or less money. SVS has world-class service but their bang-for-the-buck (esp. for their speakers) is actually weak compared to other Internet-direct competitors, with the exception of once-a-year sales on old models like the PB12 or SB12, or the occasional B-stock deal. The Ultras are said to be relatively well behaved and peak-free, but I honestly think they are even more grossly overpriced compared to what else is out there.
jjackkrash likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
post #13 of 37 Old 05-16-2018, 07:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jjackkrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,276
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 2328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric 22 View Post
one thing i am set on is dual subs
You room is over 3K cubic feet and sounds like its open to another room. You want quality dual ported 12's in there at least and I would be looking hard at dual ported 15s if you can swing it.
torii and Eric 22 like this.
jjackkrash is offline  
post #14 of 37 Old 05-16-2018, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Eric 22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NJ
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post
You room is over 3K cubic feet and sounds like its open to another room. You want quality dual ported 12's in there at least and I would be looking hard at dual ported 15s if you can swing it.
my budget has just shrank to a hard $1500. can anyone recommend dual svs pb2000 ur hsu 2s? i am really being pulled toward svs bill of rights.
Eric 22 is offline  
post #15 of 37 Old 05-16-2018, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Eric 22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NJ
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4
also, would i be ok going with emotivas since they are 4 ohm?
Eric 22 is offline  
post #16 of 37 Old 05-16-2018, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jjackkrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,276
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 2328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric 22 View Post
my budget has just shrank to a hard $1500. can anyone recommend dual svs pb2000 ur hsu 2s? i am really being pulled toward svs bill of rights.
I believe two of these shipped is right at $1500 (you get a discount for 2) and no tax in many places:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24457

Read some of the member reviews in the subwoofer subforum, including from Mix-Master Ice and Chucky (both knowledgable posters) and there are several pro reviews out now on the Monoliths. I'd take these subs and risk customer service issues over the SVS subs at the same price even with the good SVS customer service and bill of rights.
jjackkrash is offline  
post #17 of 37 Old 05-16-2018, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Eric 22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NJ
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4
im now considering the emotiva t2/c2 or the ascend 340 with stands and center. emotivas would be $1368 vs $900 for the ascends with stand. Ascend would leave me enough room to budget 1750 for subs, where the emotivas would leave me about 1400-1500 pushing it. i could pair ascends with dual svs pb2000, dual hsu v3.5, or dual monolith 12'
the emotiva setup would afford me the dual svs1000, dual hsu 2.5 or dual monolith 10"

any recommendations to go with any of my above mentioned speakers over either of these options? will i be good to go with the emotivas considering 4OHM? im really leaning toward emotivas and dual HSU 2.5
Eric 22 is offline  
post #18 of 37 Old 05-16-2018, 08:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
torii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 6,692
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3320 Post(s)
Liked: 1873
you should go listen to a pair of speakers locally and say what you like or dont and that would help alot in refining choices.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
torii is online now  
post #19 of 37 Old 05-16-2018, 08:59 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 12,311
Mentioned: 215 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6912 Post(s)
Liked: 5198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric 22 View Post
im now considering the emotiva t2/c2 or the ascend 340 with stands and center. emotivas would be $1368 vs $900 for the ascends with stand. Ascend would leave me enough room to budget 1750 for subs, where the emotivas would leave me about 1400-1500 pushing it. i could pair ascends with dual svs pb2000, dual hsu v3.5, or dual monolith 12'
the emotiva setup would afford me the dual svs1000, dual hsu 2.5 or dual monolith 10"

any recommendations to go with any of my above mentioned speakers over either of these options? will i be good to go with the emotivas considering 4OHM? im really leaning toward emotivas and dual HSU 2.5
Your $1600 Yamaha should be able to handle 4 ohms easily. The question is how loud YOU like it---for maximum headroom the Ascends would have the edge, for maximum detail I'd lean towards Emotiva.

I'd invest in an SPL meter, or at the very least, download an SPL meter app.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
post #20 of 37 Old 05-16-2018, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Eric 22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NJ
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Your $1600 Yamaha should be able to handle 4 ohms easily. The question is how loud YOU like it---for maximum headroom the Ascends would have the edge, for maximum detail I'd lean towards Emotiva.

I'd invest in an SPL meter, or at the very least, download an SPL meter app.
ascends + dual HSU 3.5 comes to 2650
Emotivas + dual 2.5s come to 2500

both options work. I wont be intentionally trying to rattle the ceiling...especially with a baby in the house. I will be listening at moderate theater levels, especially since i will only be 10 feet away from the fronts. Monolith 12" duals come to 1600, almost the same price as dual hsu 3.5 hard to justify that route. I also like the fact that the emotivas have a ribbon tweeter, even though im not entirely sure if that would make a difference in my situation... whatcha think
Eric 22 is offline  
post #21 of 37 Old 05-16-2018, 09:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jjackkrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,276
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 2328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric 22 View Post
Monolith 12" duals come to 1600, almost the same price as dual hsu 3.5 hard to justify that route.
The HSU 3.5 is a value leader and gets you into 15" ported subs. You can't go wrong there.

That said, the Monoprice has an insanely beefy driver for a 12"; comes in a similar size box to the 15" HSU; and is 15 pounds heavier. Claridy is the OEM for the Monoprice and reportedly knocked these out of the park.

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...woofers-review

Either pick is a solid choice for duals.

Last edited by jjackkrash; 05-16-2018 at 09:32 PM.
jjackkrash is offline  
post #22 of 37 Old 05-16-2018, 09:59 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 12,311
Mentioned: 215 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6912 Post(s)
Liked: 5198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric 22 View Post
ascends + dual HSU 3.5 comes to 2650
Emotivas + dual 2.5s come to 2500

both options work. I wont be intentionally trying to rattle the ceiling...especially with a baby in the house. I will be listening at moderate theater levels, especially since i will only be 10 feet away from the fronts. Monolith 12" duals come to 1600, almost the same price as dual hsu 3.5 hard to justify that route. I also like the fact that the emotivas have a ribbon tweeter, even though im not entirely sure if that would make a difference in my situation... whatcha think
If it were me I'd get the Emotivas, I love having all that detail without any treble harshness or fatigue...and maybe just start with a single VTF-3. Since you're in a basement you'll be getting loads of room reinforcement, one of those monsters might be enough. Or you could also spend an extra $137 and get the VTF-15H instead of the VTF-3 since it's currently on sale and will give you just a little bit extra subsonic action.
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-15hmk2.html

But hell, if you're set on having duals then dual VTF-2s might be plenty already.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
post #23 of 37 Old 05-16-2018, 10:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DaBateman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 1,278
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric 22 View Post
ascends + dual HSU 3.5 comes to 2650
Emotivas + dual 2.5s come to 2500

both options work. I wont be intentionally trying to rattle the ceiling...especially with a baby in the house. I will be listening at moderate theater levels, especially since i will only be 10 feet away from the fronts. Monolith 12" duals come to 1600, almost the same price as dual hsu 3.5 hard to justify that route. I also like the fact that the emotivas have a ribbon tweeter, even though im not entirely sure if that would make a difference in my situation... whatcha think
Leaving the subs out of the equation for a minute..

If you want pure SPL and theater level loudness get the Ascends, I believe they have a 94dB sensitivity which is crazy good.

If you won’t be blasting so loud your neighbors know what movie you are watching the Emotivas would probably be a safer bet w/ outstanding clarity/detail. Which the Emotivas aren’t non-sensitive either. I think they’re at 91dB which your Yamaha can easily drive to reference level.

For the subs...

Personally I’d recommend dual Monoliths. Now here’s the thing, there’s not a huge difference between the 10 & 12 other than $300. I think the 12 only goes 1Hz lower than the 10 and also has one more pretty port. It may add a dB here and there over the ten but on a budget I’d recommend 3 monolith 10’s over any dual setup you’re looking at, even the dual HSU 3.5.

Which I own the Monolith 10 so I may be a tad bit biased here but the Monoliths punch wayyyy above their price point, especially the 10”. I was totally shocked when I first set mine up, I have two other lower wattage 12’s & I’d much prefer the Monolith by itself to four of my 12’s.

Don’t let the idea of getting three subwoofers scare you either, it’s not about bringing the house down, although you could if need be. It’s about a well balanced frequency response, tackling standing waves(where you move from one spot in the room and there’s tons of bass to another and there is no bass), and tactile response (which is the rumble you feel physically from good sub sonic bass). The best bang for your buck would be triple 10’s - one in the front corner of the room, one in the adjacent back corner of the room, & one right beside the couch for that oh so nice TR.



Here’s what I’d do personally -

Emotiva T1 - $699 - (since you’re not listening to music there’s no need to have Hulk size towers, that’s the subs job)
Emotiva C2 - $369 - (top priority since 80% of HT comes out of the center channel)
Monoprice Monolith 10” x3 - $1437 - (2nd most priority, having a good sub setup especially in such a large room as yours changes the entire feel of the theater, once dialed in correctly it’ll make your jaw drop)


& you may ask why I’m suggesting three 10’s to you while I only have one. Well my room is only 9.5’ W x 15’ L barely over 1200^3. The 10’s are rated for a room up to 2000^3 a piece. It will absolutely be worth the money.



But regardless of what you choose ——— {although if it’s SVS I’d recommend getting dual 2000’s over dual 1000’s}
Emotiva, Ascends, HSU, Monoliths, SVS, you’ll be happy with any of those setups and want to keep it for years to come. Any combination of those will completely blow away your Andrew Jones set, no offense.

Have fun with it, it’s just a hobby anyway
jjackkrash likes this.

| Eqmt | Vizio 4K M50-E1 | Yamaha RX-V681 | iNUKE 3kdsp x2 | Emotiva BasX A-100 | miniDSP UMIK-1 | Monolith M1060 | Monolith USB DAC |
| Sub | Trilithon | Stonehenge Variant Subwoofer - 18” - 9ft³ - 19Hz | Marty | Microcube 390HO - 22Hz | Monolith THX Ultra 12 | Monolith THX Select 10 |
| Spkrs | HSU CCB8 x3 | SVS Prime Elevation x2 | Polk S15 |
DaBateman is offline  
post #24 of 37 Old 05-17-2018, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jjackkrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,276
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 2328
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBateman View Post
Now here’s the thing, there’s not a huge difference between the 10 & 12 other than $300. I think the 12 only goes 1Hz lower than the 10 and also has one more pretty port. It may add a dB here and there over the ten but on a budget I’d recommend 3 monolith 10’s over any dual setup you’re looking at, even the dual HSU 3.5.
Audiohaulics has a measurement chart of both:

https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofe...-12/conclusion

Its actually a 4-6db gain across most of the frequency range in 2-port mode versus port-open mode in the 10, which is significant (i.e., like doubling the subs). Two 12s would be significantly more powerful than 3 10s.
jjackkrash is offline  
post #25 of 37 Old 05-17-2018, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 18,389
Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8573 Post(s)
Liked: 5771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric 22 View Post
I am trying to get an order placed asap, i have been watching tv on an ipad pro since the move 2 weeks ago. i know, poor me. I appreciate any and all advice and thanks for taking the time to help a fella out!

PS. will be researching acoustic panels while i wait for some feedback, so any input on that would be awesome as well.
Late to the party here but as you really liked your Andrew Jones Pioneers most of the speakers you listed are NOT similar in sound profile at all so the risk of a jarring "change" is quite possible though the speakers you listed are hardly bad.

I'd second the suggestion to go with the new Elac Debut 2.0 series as they are relatively easy to drive and all reports thus far are that while more detailed than the old more veiled Elac Debuts, they are still not as bright as many of the brands you listed.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #26 of 37 Old 05-17-2018, 11:01 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric 22 View Post
my budget has just shrank to a hard $1500. can anyone recommend dual svs pb2000 ur hsu 2s? i am really being pulled toward svs bill of rights.
My friend just recently received dual PB-2000s from SVS. I can tell you they sound amazing and easily vibrated everything on his walls lol. However, I am looking at the HSU VTF-3 MK5 myself. I haven't pulled the trigger, but I like the idea of the 15" driver vs the 12" and the fact that the HSU has more potential power I feel that gives more headroom. But, as previously stated from having listened to the PB-2000s they are pretty fantastic so you certainly can't go wrong with them.

"Home Theater" setup:

Living Room is 4300 cubic feet Towers: Klipsch KF-28 Center: Klipsch KC-25 Rears: Klipsch KS-14 Sub: HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP Receiver: Onkyo TX-RZ820
Jeremy67J is offline  
post #27 of 37 Old 05-17-2018, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Eric 22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NJ
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4
so i cancelled the pb1000 order, and am now patiently waiting for the emotiva t2/c2 and i bit the bullet and ordered dual HSU 3.5's. I had a hard time deciding between the emotivas and ascends since there isnt much feedback on the T2 towers yet

HSU told me that i would most likely be satisfied with dual 2.5, or to get a single 15, but they all but guaranteed that considering my room, dual 3.5s would be more than enough. it was a hard decision between the 3.5 and the monolith 12s, but i figure for that extra $200 i get dual 15 inch subs. I am slowly inseminating the wife with the idea of closing the room off with a beautiful barn style door for "heating and cooling efficiency". lets see how that goes.

im now at a point where im worried I may need, or want an amp to power the 4 ohm centers, and not really sure the tiny svs satellites are sufficient for surround duty. can anyone recommend a surround speaker? I may just have to send them back to amazon before opening after reading a few reviews. I would need something i can mount to wall or ceiling from a bracket as the wire is already fished through the wall to the top.

In ceilings are already in but not installed, but im pretty set on those considering the price i got them for.
jjackkrash and Zorba922 like this.
Eric 22 is offline  
post #28 of 37 Old 05-17-2018, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jjackkrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,276
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 2328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric 22 View Post

im now at a point where im worried I may need, or want an amp to power the 4 ohm centers, and not really sure the tiny svs satellites are sufficient for surround duty. can anyone recommend a surround speaker? I may just have to send them back to amazon before opening after reading a few reviews. I would need something i can mount to wall or ceiling from a bracket as the wire is already fished through the wall to the top.
I suspect power/speaker resistance will not be an issue unless you try and run the speakers full range, which you should not do anyway with capable subs. The bass frequencies take the lion's share of the power and when you cross the speakers over at 80Hz and use capable subs that really takes a load off your receiver and speakers.

I would encourage you to try the setup first before spending cash on an amp. Unless you just really really want one.
Eric 22 likes this.
jjackkrash is offline  
post #29 of 37 Old 05-17-2018, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DaBateman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 1,278
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric 22 View Post
so i cancelled the pb1000 order, and am now patiently waiting for the emotiva t2/c2 and i bit the bullet and ordered dual HSU 3.5's. I had a hard time deciding between the emotivas and ascends since there isnt much feedback on the T2 towers yet

HSU told me that i would most likely be satisfied with dual 2.5, or to get a single 15, but they all but guaranteed that considering my room, dual 3.5s would be more than enough. it was a hard decision between the 3.5 and the monolith 12s, but i figure for that extra $200 i get dual 15 inch subs. I am slowly inseminating the wife with the idea of closing the room off with a beautiful barn style door for "heating and cooling efficiency". lets see how that goes.

im now at a point where im worried I may need, or want an amp to power the 4 ohm centers, and not really sure the tiny svs satellites are sufficient for surround duty. can anyone recommend a surround speaker? I may just have to send them back to amazon before opening after reading a few reviews. I would need something i can mount to wall or ceiling from a bracket as the wire is already fished through the wall to the top.

In ceilings are already in but not installed, but im pretty set on those considering the price i got them for.
Congrats on your order/setup. You’ll be thoroughly impressed.

As per your concerns..

The C2 center has a 92dB sensitivity which means 1 watt will get it to 92dB at 3’ away. So considering most AVR’s has 80-100 Watts you’ll be more than fine powering them with the AVR. I’d highly suggest to wait until you get it set up and make sure you want those extra 3-6dB a separate amp would provide. Remember you have to double the wattage to add 3dB and it takes 10dB to perceive a doubling in volume.

As far as the surrounds I’d also wait to see if the Emotivas over power the Prime Sats but, if you just want new sides I’d recommend the Emotiva B1 on stands for $299 or Emotiva E1 hung on the wall for $269. Either way you’ll have a nice setup. Enjoy my friend you have a wonderful system on the way.

https://emotiva.com/products/airmotiv-b1
https://emotiva.com/products/airmotiv-e1
Eric 22 likes this.

| Eqmt | Vizio 4K M50-E1 | Yamaha RX-V681 | iNUKE 3kdsp x2 | Emotiva BasX A-100 | miniDSP UMIK-1 | Monolith M1060 | Monolith USB DAC |
| Sub | Trilithon | Stonehenge Variant Subwoofer - 18” - 9ft³ - 19Hz | Marty | Microcube 390HO - 22Hz | Monolith THX Ultra 12 | Monolith THX Select 10 |
| Spkrs | HSU CCB8 x3 | SVS Prime Elevation x2 | Polk S15 |
DaBateman is offline  
post #30 of 37 Old 05-17-2018, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Eric 22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NJ
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBateman View Post
Congrats on your order/setup. You’ll be thoroughly impressed.


As far as the surrounds I’d also wait to see if the Emotivas over power the Prime Sats but, if you just want new sides I’d recommend the Emotiva B1 on stands for $299 or Emotiva E1 hung on the wall for $269. Either way you’ll have a nice setup. Enjoy my friend you have a wonderful system on the way.

https://emotiva.com/products/airmotiv-b1
https://emotiva.com/products/airmotiv-e1

i appreciate the recommendations, and I have looked at the E1, considering i need wall or ceiling mount, but how will those sound at 110 degrees from the listening position since they mount flush to the wall? I figured to position any sats to point at the main listening position. Too bad I cant mount a beefy bookshelf for surrounds.
Eric 22 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Kef , Paradigm , speakers , Svs , theater

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off