Advice for surround speaker placement - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-20-2018, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Advice for surround speaker placement

I recently moved into a new house and am looking for advice on the best way to position my surround speakers for 5.1 audio. They are in a room that is 15’x17’x8’ (diagrams are attached below). There is a sliding glass door behind the main listening area and a large opening into another room to the left side. I use the speakers for 80% HT and 20% music. My surround speakers are capable of working in either monopole/direct firing mode or di-pole mode. However, I have preferred the sound of monopole/direct firing mode in the past. Ideally, I would place both surround speakers to the side of my main listening area. However, positioning the left surround speaker to the side of the listening area is not an option due to the room configuration and wife factor. I also do not have the option to place the surround speakers on a stand. They will have to be wall mounted. I also can’t reconfigure the sectional sofa or TV location due to the room configuration/wife factor.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best placement for my surround speakers? I attached jpegs of the two best options I could think of. Any feedback you could provide would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Equipment List:
• Denon AVR-4311CI
• Front Speakers: Monitor Audio GS20 Gold Signature Towers
• Center Speaker: Monitor Audio GS-LCR Gold Signature – On a stand in front of the TV
• Surround Speakers: Monitor Audio GS-FX Gold Signature
• Subwoofer: 2 – Velodyne SPL-1200R
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Option A.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	2405278   Click image for larger version

Name:	Option B.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	2405282  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-20-2018, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 2331
I'd try option A and try and toe them in to the MLP a bit, if possible. (Maybe mount then on a wedge so they toe in?).
Sometimes corners are hard on sound quality, however, as the bass frequencies get reinforced more than the higher frequencies, so you might want to cross them over higher than you otherwise would in a non-corner location.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-23-2018, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post
I'd try option A and try and toe them in to the MLP a bit, if possible. (Maybe mount then on a wedge so they toe in?).
Sometimes corners are hard on sound quality, however, as the bass frequencies get reinforced more than the higher frequencies, so you might want to cross them over higher than you otherwise would in a non-corner location.
Good idea on toeing them in. I think I'm going to to go with option A with a toe in.

Thanks for the response!

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
5.1 , rear , speaker placement , surround

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page