• 1 Post By Dacelad
  • 1 Post By Leon O

post #1 of 8 Old 05-22-2018, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 190
SVS Outlet

Anyone with experience in buying at the SVS Outlet online?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-22-2018, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6916 Post(s)
Liked: 5207
I bought a pair of Prime books from them, no problems. I wish all audio companies had state of the art websites like SVS! (ahem, here's looking at you, Ascend!!!)

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #3 of 8 Old 05-22-2018, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I bought a outlet subwoofer last year, product came with standard warranty that's offered on new products and also included all material that comes with new products and t shirt, etc.. customer service is amazing.. will definitely be buying from them again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-22-2018, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 103
SVS Outlet is top-class, don't hesitate to buy from them at all.

@zorba : Ascend's website is fully-functional, and provides everything that is required to make an informed decision. State-of-the-art also implies more effort in its maintenance (including security). I actually prefer Ascend's simpler format, that gives me exactly what I need without all the fluff.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-22-2018, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6916 Post(s)
Liked: 5207
Quote:
Originally Posted by choombak View Post
@zorba : Ascend's website is fully-functional, and provides everything that is required to make an informed decision. State-of-the-art also implies more effort in its maintenance (including security). I actually prefer Ascend's simpler format, that gives me exactly what I need without all the fluff.
Well, I'm no website designer so I'll take your word that a state-of-the-art website necessarily entails higher maintenance and security...have never heard that before.

The Ascend website's main weakness is how difficult it is for low-tech newbies to figure out that they need to use the System Advisor page in order to get an accurate price for a bundled order. I've on many occasions had to tell them to do so after they grossly overestimated how much an Ascend package would cost them because they simply added up the individual per-model prices for speakers and shipping...I imagine Ascend has probably lost many sales that way.

The site is convoluted and difficult to navigate unless you really know what you're looking for, and looks like it needed to be updated about 15 years ago.

Also, the Ascend site desperately needs something other than clinical black-speakers-on-white-background photos because they just make their speakers (especially the SE series) look much uglier/chintzier than they really are...they need to include in-room photos, which Emotiva for example has recently started to include.

I just hate to see their excellent products often not getting the fair and wide consideration that they richly deserve, due to something so elementary as poor website design.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #6 of 8 Old 05-22-2018, 09:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Well, I'm no website designer so I'll take your word that a state-of-the-art website necessarily entails higher maintenance and security...have never heard that before.

The Ascend website's main weakness is how difficult it is for low-tech newbies to figure out that they need to use the System Advisor page in order to get an accurate price for a bundled order. I've on many occasions had to tell them to do so after they grossly overestimated how much an Ascend package would cost them because they simply added up the individual per-model prices for speakers and shipping...I imagine Ascend has probably lost many sales that way.

The site is convoluted and difficult to navigate unless you really know what you're looking for, and looks like it needed to be updated about 15 years ago.

Also, the Ascend site desperately needs something other than clinical black-speakers-on-white-background photos because they just make their speakers (especially the SE series) look much uglier/chintzier than they really are...they need to include in-room photos, which Emotiva for example has recently started to include.

I just hate to see their excellent products often not getting the fair and wide consideration that they richly deserve, due to something so elementary as poor website design.
You can't have a website that looks like it was made in 2000s when selling directly to consumers. I hope that they will realize that and up their game. It just doesn't inspire confidence/trust for new customers.

@zorba As a side note, modern doesn't means more complicated to use. It can be modern and very easy to use if they hired a good UX designer (e.g. Airbnb...). It will definitely be more pricey to build.
Zorba922 likes this.

Last edited by Dacelad; 05-22-2018 at 09:59 PM.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-22-2018, 10:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked: 24237
Quote:
Originally Posted by pda15 View Post
Anyone with experience in buying at the SVS Outlet online?
I bought 2 Ultra Bookshelf speakers in the past, described as no damage, and they looked brand new when I received them. Saved some dollars at a nice discount plus an extra 5% off with a returning customer code.

Today I was able to pick up another "no damage" Ultra bookshelf for $332.50. As with the last 2 it comes with a 5 year warranty. It should ship tomorrow. One more to go but no telling how long before another one shows up. I see more of them with the piano finish which I don't want.

[Edit] Speaker shipped this morning as SVS said they would

Regards, Ken (Retired)
9.1.) Denon 4520CI; Samsung 55H8000; OPPO 203; 6x SVS Ultra BS,
Ultra Center; FH 2xPolk; Rythmik F12; CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD (x2)
2.1 Ch.) Nak RE-1, CR7A, BD F7500, Aircom T-8, Denon 300F/Ortofon 2M Bronze;
ADS L1290(x2); PINNACLE BABYBOOMER SUB, PANAMAX MR4300

Last edited by Matt2026; 05-23-2018 at 12:21 PM.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-23-2018, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 180
I appreciate that SVS attempts to describe and sometimes show the "flaw" on each individual piece in the outlet.
Rengozu likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page