AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Speakers (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/)
-   -   KLH returns to the speaker market (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/2980694-klh-returns-speaker-market.html)

gajCA 05-30-2018 01:00 PM

KLH returns to the speaker market
 
Who's going to take the first plunge! :p

Available soon at Crutchfield.

They are not starting at the budget level but mid level it would seem.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-cVAahh...udio.html?&o=p

"KLH, the legendary speaker brand cofounded by Henry Kloss, is back from the dead with a new owner and a full line of new speakers.

The new owner is Klipsch veteran David P. Kelley who is operating the company in Noblesville, Indiana.

We look forward to getting in a full 5.1.4-channel set for review."


Read more at https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...lKKgFTzzyy9.99

Dennis Murphy 05-30-2018 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gajCA (Post 56265378)
Who's going to take the first plunge! :p

Available soon at Crutchfield.

They are not starting at the budget level but mid level it would seem.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-cVAahh...udio.html?&o=p

"KLH, the legendary speaker brand cofounded by Henry Kloss, is back from the dead with a new owner and a full line of new speakers.

The new owner is Klipsch veteran David P. Kelley who is operating the company in Noblesville, Indiana.

We look forward to getting in a full 5.1.4-channel set for review."


Read more at https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...lKKgFTzzyy9.99

I don't think Henry would be too happy with the frequency response specs--27 Hz out of a single 6.5" woofer? And I'm sure he would have preferred an acoustic suspension design given the virtual total absence of true acoustic suspension woofers today.

l0nestar8 05-30-2018 02:46 PM

That Albany sure does look interesting. A sealed* cabinet 5.25" bookshelf? Yes please! I can only think of NHT that has something similar and I much prefer the looks of these.

Looking forward to some reviews/measurements...

*A sealed cabinet is not necessarily acoustic suspension as Dennis mentions above. Acoustic suspension =/= sealed cabinet. Crutchfield/KLH is probably interchanging the two terms erroneously.

gajCA 05-30-2018 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy (Post 56265870)
I don't think Henry would be too happy with the frequency response specs--27 Hz out of a single 6.5" woofer? And I'm sure he would have preferred an acoustic suspension design given the virtual total absence of true acoustic suspension woofers today.

Yeah, if they even achieved 45hz at -3db I'd be surprised.

Looks like KLH has a 20hz bass extension "fudge factor" like so many name brand speaker companies do.

Dennis Murphy 05-30-2018 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by l0nestar8 (Post 56265930)
That Albany sure does look interesting. A sealed* cabinet 5.25" bookshelf? Yes please! I can only think of NHT that has something similar and I much prefer the looks of these.

Looking forward to some reviews/measurements...

*A sealed cabinet is not necessarily acoustic suspension as Dennis mentions above. Acoustic suspension =/= sealed cabinet. Crutchfield/KLH is probably interchanging the two terms erroneously.

I didn't notice that the Albany was sealed. But the bass spec is even more, uh, interesting. A -3 dB point of 35 Hz out of a 5.25" woofer? Sealed? The venerable AR3 couldn't even manage that with a 12" woofer.

l0nestar8 05-30-2018 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy (Post 56266170)
I didn't notice that the Albany was sealed. But the bass spec is even more, uh, interesting. A -3 dB point of 35 Hz out of a 5.25" woofer? Sealed? The venerable AR3 couldn't even manage that with a 12" woofer.

And I didn't notice that bass spec! Haha. And wow, don't overlook that claimed 92 dB sensitivity as well.

You are totally right, though. That is a pretty ridiculous claim (even at -6 dB) and some very creative marketing numbers. My enthusiasm is officially tempered...

RayGuy 05-31-2018 12:12 PM

Geesh, Isn't ONE Klipsch enough?

pase22 05-31-2018 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gajCA (Post 56266106)
Yeah, if they even achieved 45hz at -3db I'd be surprised.

Looks like KLH has a 20hz bass extension "fudge factor" like so many name brand speaker companies do.

My single 5.25" inch driver speakers start dropping off in the mid 80's so no way it comes close to it's claimed 47hz. We'll just have to wait for some reviews and measurements.

zieglj01 05-31-2018 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by l0nestar8 (Post 56267712)
And I didn't notice that bass spec! Haha. And wow, don't overlook that claimed 92 dB sensitivity as well.

You are totally right, though. That is a pretty ridiculous claim (even at -6 dB) and some very creative marketing numbers. My enthusiasm is officially tempered...

Looks like over priced speakers to me -- I would say mildly interesting.

zieglj01 05-31-2018 01:05 PM


zieglj01 05-31-2018 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gajCA (Post 56265378)
Who's going to take the first plunge! :p

This is the team
http://www.klhaudio.com/klh-team/

postrokfan 05-31-2018 01:13 PM

Interesting. I had a pair of big KLH floor speakers back in the day (15 in woofers).

drewTT 05-31-2018 01:20 PM

Brings a tear to my eye...

gajCA 05-31-2018 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zieglj01 (Post 56271260)

Some good credentials but unrealistic specs don't do them any service.

gajCA 05-31-2018 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewTT (Post 56271314)
Brings a tear to my eye...

Made in the US with real wood veneer so they might be quite handsome in person.

The wood veneer on my JBL L26s back in the day was first rate and I can still smell the Linseed Oil the day I unboxed them in 1976 in my dorm room at the University of Miami.

Promptly blew the woofers believe it or not playing "Wish You Were Here" absurdly loud.

Repaired under warranty even though clearly it was user abuse.

zieglj01 05-31-2018 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gajCA (Post 56271376)
Some good credentials but unrealistic specs don't do them any service.

True -- the marketing hype game -- some of the drivers and cabinets, tend to remind me of some former Energy speakers, except they are sealed

adam2434 06-01-2018 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zieglj01 (Post 56271774)
True -- the marketing hype game -- some of the drivers and cabinets, tend to remind me of some former Energy speakers, except they are sealed

You beat me to it...

I was just going to say that the Kendall floorstander looks a lot like the Energy RC-70...similar driver compliment and nearly identical cabinet dimensions.

And...Energy is part of the Klipsch Group. Four out of five of the KLH management team are ex-Klipsch. Coincidence?

As a side note, $1300/pr for the Kendall floorstanders with cast basket drivers and real wood veneer seems like a pretty good price on paper, assuming the performance is competitive in that price range.

Eddy_Z 06-08-2018 06:05 AM

So.....

I had some extra time to kill yesterday after work so I stopped in at a local HI-FI store. Lo and behold there was a pair of Kendalls hooked up playing softly. When the sales guy came out( I know him from years of shopping there) I pointed out the KLH's and mentioned I'd just learned of their new line. He said the speakers literally showed up an hour earlier as a demo pair from the rep.
They are going to evaluate them to see whether or not they want to sell them. The top corner of one cabinet had taken an impact of some sort and was slightly crushed. The black veneer looked decent for the price. The drivers looked surprisingly high quality. He mentioned the high efficiency and was looking forward to running them through their paces. The magnetic grills were a nice touch as well.

I am planning on following up with another visit in a few weeks to see how they fared.

Tom Vodhanel 06-08-2018 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddy_Z (Post 56311896)
So.....

He mentioned the high efficiency...

Quote:

Four out of five of the KLH management team are ex-Klipsch
Sensitivity: 96dB.

https://prod3.agileticketing.net/ima...c-fields-3.jpg


Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

RayGuy 06-08-2018 11:50 AM

That number is probably exaggerated, just like the Klipsch.

slimwhit33 06-13-2018 11:34 AM

The tweeter and drivers look pretty similar to my SVS Ultras.. weird.

alphaiii 06-14-2018 07:38 PM

Definitely look like Energy RC/Veritas (newer Klipsch version) to me, without the "ribbed eliptical surround" on the woofers, since Klipsch owns that "technology."

Eddy_Z 06-28-2018 11:49 AM

Well, I finally stopped back in to the shop where they were evaluating the Kendall towers on loan from the distributor.

They sent them packing. The brand confusion was a factor since no one knew who they were. It is most certainly not the same KLH of past.

The other thing was they would want to offer the "Best" in class at the price point, and they sell the Revel Concerta line at not much more corn that are noticeably better.

That's all I got!

DS-21 06-29-2018 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zieglj01 (Post 56271260)



Note what’s missing: product design engineers! Transducer engineers!

lizrussspike 06-29-2018 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by postrokfan (Post 56271274)
Interesting. I had a pair of big KLH floor speakers back in the day (15 in woofers).

Right on postrokfan! I had the big ole KLH floor speakers back in the late 80's I think, they were huge.

gajCA 06-29-2018 11:21 AM

Not a single owner review yet on Crutchfield after a month.

Not exactly selling like hotcakes it would seem!

stereojunkie 06-29-2018 11:37 AM

these guys are local to me, I need to see if they have a demo room setup so one can drop in and listen. I have some time later next week as I may do so.

Cscamp20 07-05-2018 10:01 PM

I too am interested in these KLH speakers. Specs looks good on paper. Warranty is surprisingly 10 years. I just ordered the Albany. If I like how it sounds then I might try the cambridge as well. It does look like the drivers could be from SVS.

gajCA 07-06-2018 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cscamp20 (Post 56448448)
I too am interested in these KLH speakers. Specs looks good on paper. Warranty is surprisingly 10 years. I just ordered the Albany. If I like how it sounds then I might try the cambridge as well. It does look like the drivers could be from SVS.

Looking forward to your impressions.

Cattledog 07-07-2018 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gajCA (Post 56417446)
Not a single owner review yet on Crutchfield after a month.

Not exactly selling like hotcakes it would seem!

Only 1.5% of people who buy online leave a review according to Pew, so I don't think lack of reviews of a new product indicates anything.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.