AVS Forum banner

Chane vs Emotiva

29K views 152 replies 31 participants last post by  BufordTJustice 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello, I was trying to find some more info out but I couldn't find much comparing the two.

Emotiva has been receiving some great reviews on the new Airmotiv speakers, Mark spoke very highly of them. They are 4ohms though which could be difficult to drive without an external amp.

The Arx line has also received good praise from many people.

I am interested in comparing the Emotiva C1, T1, E1 to the Arx A5.4, A2.4 and A1.4.

Just looking for any thoughts comparing the two lines. The room would be a living room with vaulted ceilings that is open to the entry way, the kitchen and a hallway, fairly big...

Thank you guys for your help

#2 ·
i have the emotiva b1's..they are pretty neutral and sound good to me..i would think the t1's would work well...chanes's get great reviews here as well, i think a few people that have them may well see this thread & comment...best of luck.. happy shopping..

#3 ·
I would personally love to do a head to head comparison with them myself.

If the Chane A2.4 had been available back in December I would have bought it as a mismatched center, and then possibly either the A1.4 or more A2.4 for my front L/R.

As it happens, I couldn't go on waiting indefinitely so I went ahead and got the Emotiva C1, which so impressed me that I bought the B1s for fronts not so much for any "timbre matching" hoo ha but to see how they'd compare to my beloved Wharfedales. The latter haven't been touched for a couple months, lol.

If the Chanes had been available in December I would have gone for them over the Emotiva mainly because I wasn't thrilled with the peculiar "Batmobile" looks of the Emotivas. Now, in retrospect, I think I might've stumbled onto the better choice mainly because the Emotiva center is a 3-way design whereas the A2.4 is a 2-way, and so many people swear that 3-ways are superior especially as horizontal center speakers. And the Batmobile looks have grown on me, or rather I've gotten used to them enough that I don't even notice it most of the time.

But if Emotiva ever did an MTM version of the B1, would love to compare to the A2.4 ...

#16 ·
I would personally love to do a head to head comparison with them myself.
Check out the multiple speaker review thread, here. Not a direct head-to-head comparison, but both the T1 and the A5rx-c (predecessor to the A5.4) were listened to in the same room on the same day by three different people, who all commented on what they heard.

#4 ·
I believe them being 4 Ohm is blown way out of proportion unless you are going to listen at reference for hours, which hardly anyone does.

#5 ·
+1

The Emo speakers I've owned over the years have all been easy to drive. Back around 2011 or so I had an Onkyo PR885 processor die on me. All I had was an Onkyo 506 AVR so I put that in the rack and connected the speakers up. The speakers were the ERT 8.3 towers, ERM 6.3 center, and ERD-1 surrounds (which I still have) - all 4 ohm loads according to Emotiva. That 506 drove them just fine, and ran no hotter than it did in the bedroom 2 channel.

I've only heard the T1 towers from Emo's newest line, for about half an hour. A local bought the Onkyo TX-8050 stereo receiver and wanted recommendations on decent speakers. I made several, SVS, Hsu, Emotiva, and a few others. I don't know if it was me that day, or the speakers weren't set up well, but I felt they were somewhat on the dark side, lots of bass/mid bass but little upper bass until the tweeter took over. I have no idea what the crossover is set between the mid and tweeter. Plenty of bass for the bass-heads, but not something I'd like to live with a few years. I've had the Song Towers for 3 years - I'm still in love with them. I even picked up a pair of Salk Surround One bookshelf speakers for the bedroom. Pretty nice night night music.

#6 ·
Do you guys think that a Denon X4100 would be okay to drive the Emotiva's? I don't really want to be limited to watching movies or music quietly all the time...

#8 ·
I think you'll be just fine.

125 watts is high power for an AVR.

My NAD AVR despite its thermostatically controlled fan and fame for handling low ohms used to shut down before it started to fail losing all its digital inputs.

That was driving B&W CM1 Concept 90s.

My 90 watt Denon has never shut down at similar volume levels, (ie. very very loud).

#7 ·
are we every going to get head to head comps between the "step up" budget speakers? (sierra 1, phil mini's , nhtc series.. monitor silver , kef ls50 ect,,,)or is that a wish and hope thought?:)

#10 ·
Well, I wouldn't mind hearing the Chane vs Emotivas head to head either...I am sure someone has done this in one of the many budget shoot outs.

Reactions: Lp85253
#18 ·
From that thread (linked above) you would be hard pressed to find much fault with either the Chane or Emotiva speakers! I think it would come down to personal preference...

#27 ·
BTW, the Chane "A" Series is now in stock on their website.

;)
Indeed it is. I can only speculate that they must get truly sensational bulk discounts with each "Group Buy"... Wish this had come six months earlier, another set of speakers in the house and the missus will truly blow a gasket, lol

#46 ·
Thank you guys for all the feedback. I do have a few more questions I hope you guys can provide some insight for.

1. My friend is selling his Onkyo Tx-Nr709 receiver to me for $200.00. He takes immaculately good care of his equipment. I was thinking I would pick that up instead of the X4100 from accessories4less. I know I will lose the sub EQ for now but it would work for a year or two... I would only be running a 5.0 system for now then later adding the subs. Saves $350. Any thoughts?

2. I have been leaning toward the Chane speakers. I would run the A5.4 and A2.4 up front. For rears, I need something low profile as there is only 22"-24" between my back wall and the couch. I was thinking the Elac OW4.2 for $200 on Amazon right now. Do you guys have any other suggestions or thoughts on those?

3. Finally, my friend suggested that they have been running sales on the Klipsch rf-82s for $170-$190 a speaker. They are also running the matching center for $170-$180. This would save a decent amount of money. How do you guys think the Arx would compare to the Klipsch? I have owned the original A5, A1 and A2 back in 2013. I have also heard his Rf82s before but it's been so long. I just wanted more opinions.

Thanks guys!

#48 ·
1. My friend is selling his Onkyo Tx-Nr709 receiver to me for $200.00. He takes immaculately good care of his equipment. I was thinking I would pick that up instead of the X4100 from accessories4less. I know I will lose the sub EQ for now but it would work for a year or two... I would only be running a 5.0 system for now then later adding the subs. Saves $350. Any thoughts?

2. I have been leaning toward the Chane speakers. I would run the A5.4 and A2.4 up front. For rears, I need something low profile as there is only 22"-24" between my back wall and the couch. I was thinking the Elac OW4.2 for $200 on Amazon right now. Do you guys have any other suggestions or thoughts on those?

3. Finally, my friend suggested that they have been running sales on the Klipsch rf-82s for $170-$190 a speaker. They are also running the matching center for $170-$180. This would save a decent amount of money. How do you guys think the Arx would compare to the Klipsch? I have owned the original A5, A1 and A2 back in 2013. I have also heard his Rf82s before but it's been so long. I just wanted more opinions.
1. $200 would get you an authorized refurb Integra (Onkyo's high end line, similar to Lexus vs Toyota) 30.4 here:
https://www.accessories4less.com/ma...mps/home-theater-receivers/1.html?&r=5b32490e
Many forum members who've bought from that website have reported that they got what appeared to be virtually new product, most likely just excess inventory the manufacturer wanted to get rid of under the "refurbished" banner. A few (10-20% maybe?) have had some issues, about half of which were resolved ok, half were not. So there is a small calculated risk, but given the price break I personally wouldn't have many qualms. I have no idea how the 709 compares to the 30.4, you should google up both and compare their specs and feature set.

2. Chanes should be nice, now that they've finally come back in stock. If you need to put more money in your sub(s) I would go with A2.4 x 3 across the front.

3. I would never buy Klipsch speakers unheard, unless I had an easy return option. 50/50 chance you'll hate them or love them, people have very strong reactions to them. The Chanes on the other hand are known to be neutral, so a much safer choice unheard, IMO.

#47 · (Edited)
3. Chane vs Klipsch? No contest. Chane by 7 lengths.

2. The Elac OW4 is a good idea.

1. Spending less on the receiver is almost always a good idea, as it frees up more $ for speakers/subs. That said, the Chanes are known to like plenty of overhead available to perform their best. That receiver is only rated for 2 channels driven. With all channels driven, you are probably talking half the stated power. Depending on your listening habits (really loud?) and seating distance (>12 feet?), it's possible that the receiver may run out of juice. Only way to really know is to try it and see. If that happens, you can always sell the Onkyo and invest in a more powerful solution.

#50 ·
3. Chane vs Klipsch? No contest. Chane by 7 lengths.

2. The Elac OW4 is a good idea.

1. Spending less on the receiver is almost always a good idea, as it frees up more $ for speakers/subs. That said, the Chanes are known to like plenty of overhead available to perform their best. That receiver is only rated for 2 channels driven. With all channels driven, you are probably talking half the stated power, all channels driven. So, depending on your listening habits (really loud?) and seating distance (>12 feet?), it's possible that the receiver may run out of juice. Only way to really know is to try it and see. If that happens, you can always sell the Onkyo invest in a more powerful solution.
I am leaning toward the Chanes a lot.

Glad to hear the Elacs will work well for the rears.

The distance from the front speakers will be around 9' to 10'. When I do listen to it loud, it is usually 2 channel music...

#56 ·
Has anyone heard the newly revamped Chanes? If not, we cannot really say what they will sound like versus the Emotiva. Maybe in the next few weeks someone can do that comparison. Otherwise, there are a lot of assumptions being made...

#57 ·
What has changed?

I thought this was just another production run w/ same components inside?

#65 ·
I ended up choosing to do the Chane A2.4 for center, two A5.4s for front left/right and finally picked up a pair of the Elac OW4.2 when they were on sale.

Now for a subwoofer, I ended up talking to Tom at PSA a lot. My god people, I work at a bank and strive to have customer service that is as good as his. I ended up picking up a S3000I that was a C stock unit for what I personally felt like was a very good price. Still wondering if I should upgrade to something else but not sure yet.

Reactions: gajCA and Zorba922
#66 ·
Do you have everything up and running? Want to know your impressions of the A5.4s. I'm hearing they are really good.

#71 ·
Hey guys, I ordered late in the game so I actually got bumped for the A5.4s until Mid-August. Which is totally fine, I knew the risk when I ordered so late in the group buy. Jon was extremely professional and friendly about it. Seriously a great guy.

I was talking to Tom about the S3000I that arrived today. We were having a conversation about his M-110s. We kind of worked out a deal, he told me to let him know tomorrow ish.

So what are your guys thoughts?

2 A5.4s and 1 A2.4

VS

2 - MT-110s and 1 - MT 110C

#72 ·
The PSA speakers will go much much louder, if spectacular high volumes without distortion or coloration is your goal.

Some people find that such capabilities are wasted if one doesn't listen that loud.

Others feel that higher-sensitivity speakers like the PSA will also have much faster transients, giving you a very dynamic, lively sound even at non-deafening levels.

Your call.

#99 ·
Exactly, but with the only information ALOT of people have, since most of these ID direct speakers, well, you cannot just go to a show room and listen, is you have to "listen" to reviews of listeners who have heard them. In general and most of the time, speakers follow the laws of physics..however, depending on cabinets, ports, crossovers and tuning, well that can vary. So of course, all things considered, one will only know for sure if they hear both speakers in the same room and likely at the same relative time...
However, in general, i think it is still fair to ASSUME that a larger cabinet speaker with more and large drivers will get louder and hit lower. Now Trans points out that the EMP speakers don't hit as impressive of lows... and as RBH will tell you, those speaker are tuned to not hit as low as they could and should be used with a subwoofer.

#103 · (Edited)
Exactly, but with the only information ALOT of people have, since most of these ID direct speakers, well, you cannot just go to a show room and listen, is you have to "listen" to reviews of listeners who have heard them. In general and most of the time, speakers follow the laws of physics..however, depending on cabinets, ports, crossovers and tuning, well that can vary. So of course, all things considered, one will only know for sure if they hear both speakers in the same room and likely at the same relative time...

However, in general, i think it is still fair to ASSUME that a larger cabinet speaker with more and large drivers will get louder and hit lower. Now Trans points out that the EMP speakers don't hit as impressive of lows... and as RBH will tell you, those speaker are tuned to not hit as low as they could and should be used with a subwoofer.

But that's not at all what I'm talking about. I am specifically addressing tendering an opinion (that is potentially not even third-hand, but further disconnected from personal experience than that) that any casual reader will interpret, based on plain wording, that the offerer of said opinion had actual personal experience with said product. And not experience by proxy by proxy.

As for louder and lower, those are trade-offs in and of themselves; trading f3 for sensitivity during the design and tuning phases. When remaining even close in terms of acoustical volume and driver displacement, the differences can be minor. The small signal f6 of these loudspeakers is about 5hz apart. That is close. Especially in HT terms where that difference is completely overshadowed by even a mediocre subwoofer, the effects of the room, and the AVRs high pass crossover.

Bottom line: there is simply no way that any collection of numbers could permit a non-listener to determine which is better between these two speakers. There's no way around it. It is IDs shortfall and ever present weakness. I do not find it necessary to be forced to make categorical assumptions beyond observing output and f3 limits based on acoustical size classes.

And, even then the numbers don't always tell the tale. Look at the BMR. A stunner, by all owner/listener accounts, with regards to bass quality, f3, and output. So, general acoustical size classes can only then be basic guides. Attempting to apply vastly more specific conclusions to a complex and nuanced subject like perceived sound quality is simply an empirical overreach. It's bench racing gone awry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Vergiliusm
#106 ·
I have T1, C2 and E2 in a small 11x12 room. They sound great and glad i got them on clearance a month ago. The only thing i changed since putting them in are the E1 that are now E2. This was just due to room issues and talking with emotiva they recomended them since i cant run 7.1 in the room and wanted more surround fill from the rear speakers.
Also have no issues powering them with a Onkyo 830.
My only issue with emotive is no atmos speakers. Was going to get amother set of E1 but are sold out now. Emotiva said an A1 model is coming out soon.
They definitely wont be winning a beauty contest.

#108 · (Edited)
"Marginally bigger" =/= better. Who said anything about better or deeper? Oh, that's right, a strawman said it. :rolleyes:

The T1 is firmly in another size class based on its direct radiating surface area and internal volume compared to the A2.4.

FWIW, the T1 has a -6dB point of 37Hz (verified by 3rd party) while the A2.4 is 42Hz (manufacturer's specs.) To me, calling the T1 "marginally bigger" is more than accurate.

Since we are apparently only allowed to link to 1st-person experiences, here is a review of the "bigger" Emotiva T2 and the A2.4:

They were more dynamic than the Chane's providing a little bit bigger soundstage...imaging was also very good.
They are more dynamic with better low end than the Chane's.

C2:
I’m really liking the C2. Powerful, clear, detailed, big soundstage. Definitely more dynamic than the Chane’s A2.4.

My ultimate advice would be to order a pair of T1's and A2.4's, then return the loser. That way, you will be confident that you made the right decision.

#110 · (Edited)
To be fair, both you and Jon talk about "acoustical size" and your models with more drivers sounding "acoustically larger" so therefore, Lp's statement makes sense.

In this case, we're comparing against a floorstanding model with much more internal volume, so the "big sound" is probably our perception of the increased bass output.

I don't think it's a logical comparison, but that's what was put out there.

On a personal note, when I audition speakers, knowing that I will be using my dual subs, I compare the speakers with an 80Hz crossover enabled. Why? Because 1) that's how they are going to be run, and 2) bass output of speakers can skew our perceptions and opinions. Level the playing field by comparing with a crossover and subs off, then subs on. Only then will you get a true sense of the differences in the midbass, midrange, and treble.

#112 ·
i forgot that this was an old thread...the OP long gone! Even the legend that was Zorba in this thread, was this his last AVS posting?

#116 · (Edited)
Shouldn't the test have been the the Chane A5.4 vs the Emotiva T2? Seems to me that is a more level playing field.

Let's face it, these Emotiva prices are not sustainable. Look what happened to the Bas-x subs ... they disappeared and were replaced with far more expensive options. The same will happen with these speakers, so get 'em while they are hot!

#117 ·
Shouldn't the test been the the Chane A5.4 vs the Emotiva T2? Seems to me that is a more level playing field.

Let's face it, these Emotiva prices are not sustainable. Look what happened to the Bas-x subs ... they disappeared and were replaced with far more expensive options. The same will happen with these speakers, so get 'em while they are hot!
those basx subs were pretty ok too for the price , i have the 8 and the 10 .. both are pretty darn nice for 200/ 300 bucks

#128 ·
Well, pre-ordered the Chane's. Just really wanted to try identical LCR's, and have something completely different than what I have now.

I'm very much looking forward to getting these and breaking them in /forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
Let us know how you like them!

#131 ·
Hmmm, I posted a reply, but apparently it didn't take--maybe the universe's way of telling me I shouldn't be posting at work. :)

At any rate, there is definitely a different sonic signature, at least from the Paradigms I've owned in the past. As someone who came from and likes the detail of metal dome tweets, I didn't feel like it was a step down with the Chanes. With some types of music and recordings, the planar is smoother without a noticeable loss of detail.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.