Mid-range in-wall speaker recommendations? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By RayGuy
  • 1 Post By smithsabom
  • 1 Post By drunkpenguin
  • 1 Post By gajCA
  • 1 Post By mattztt

post #1 of 14 Old 07-24-2018, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Mid-range in-wall speaker recommendations?

I'm building a theater room in a 15' x 17' space that is currently unfinished with 6" studs on left/right/rear walls and a 4" stud wall inset 1" from a 6" stud wall on the front. There's an unfortunately large window in the rear of the room which may mean putting the rear channels in the walls or ceiling.

For WAF and other reasons I'm planning to go with all in-wall speakers in 7.1.4 Atmos configuration. There will be a standard in-room sub. The budget can handle up to ~$400/speaker not including sub but if there are good options in the $200-$300 range, all the better. If I should really consider speakers above my $400 budget, I guess I'd be interested in the reasoning there as well.

The room will be multi-purpose. In addition to movies there will be plenty of video game playing and music listening.

I plan to place a backing box behind each speaker for sound isolation and can size the boxes for ideal spatial volume if that makes a difference for speakers that do not have integrated enclosures.

Brands I've been looking at so far include Klipsch, Polk, and JBL.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-07-24 at 5.16.47 PM.png
Views:	12
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	2432498  

Last edited by mattztt; 07-26-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-25-2018, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9090 Post(s)
Liked: 6235
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattztt View Post
I'm building a theater room in a 15' x 17' space that is currently unfinished with 6" studs on left/right/rear walls and a 4" stud wall inset 1" from a 6" stud wall on the front. There's an unfortunately large window in the rear of the room which may mean putting the rear channels in the walls or ceiling.

For WAF and other reasons I'm planning to go with all in-wall speakers in an 11.1 Atmos configuration. There will be a standard in-room sub. The budget can handle up to ~$400/speaker not including sub but if there are good options in the $200-$300 range, all the better. If I should really consider speakers above my $400 budget, I guess I'd be interested in the reasoning there as well.

The room will be multi-purpose. In addition to movies there will be plenty of video game playing and music listening.

I plan to place a backing box behind each speaker for sound isolation and can size the boxes for ideal spatial volume if that makes a difference for speakers that do not have integrated enclosures.

Brands I've been looking at so far include Klipsch, Polk, and JBL.
HSU.

An absolute bargain.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hiw-1.html

Geoff A. J., California
post #3 of 14 Old 07-25-2018, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
HSU.

An absolute bargain.
Thanks for the tip. Reading reviews it seems like these speakers are well regarded; especially the bookshelf speakers they are derived from. I'm going to pick up a pair to audition and look into creating an in-wall enclosure that replicates the bookshelf speaker's enclosure.

I'm a bit concerned that it may make for an anemic center channel speaker, but I suppose I could cannibalize an HC-1 and build my own in-wall enclosure for it. I'm planning to place the center channel behind an acoustic projector screen so the aesthetics there aren't an issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 07-25-2018, 07:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 2859 Post(s)
Liked: 2631
Look at the RSL options. Lots of bang for the buck.
mattztt likes this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #5 of 14 Old 07-26-2018, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 294
check out axiom audio for in wall speakers.They have integrated back boxes.
mattztt likes this.

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Goldenear supersat 60C,
SSR DIYSG Volt 6v2. RSS Volt 6, Atmos(.4) Boston acoustics soundware XS
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
post #6 of 14 Old 07-26-2018, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1898 Post(s)
Liked: 1820
I put a pair of these in my living room and I think they sound fantastic. They mount almost flush with the wall and the grill can be painted to disappear.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
mattztt likes this.
post #7 of 14 Old 07-26-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. Reading reviews it seems like these speakers are well regarded; especially the bookshelf speakers they are derived from. I'm going to pick up a pair to audition and look into creating an in-wall enclosure that replicates the bookshelf speaker's enclosure.

I'm a bit concerned that it may make for an anemic center channel speaker, but I suppose I could cannibalize an HC-1 and build my own in-wall enclosure for it. I'm planning to place the center channel behind an acoustic projector screen so the aesthetics there aren't an issue.
Your room is not large; a HSU in wall would make an excellent in wall center.

Not sure about the idea of putting one of their bookshelves into a cavity though; that's not a good idea for ANY speaker to be honest.

Geoff A. J., California
post #8 of 14 Old 07-26-2018, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Your room is not large; a HSU in wall would make an excellent in wall center.

Not sure about the idea of putting one of their bookshelves into a cavity though; that's not a good idea for ANY speaker to be honest.
I didn't mean I'd put the bookshelf in the wall; rather I'd remove the drivers and crossover from the bookshelf and fabricate in-wall enclosure of similar volume. Hsu has confirmed to me that this is a viable option for a large in-wall center but as you say it's a small room so I'll stick with the standard in-wall model.
post #9 of 14 Old 07-26-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
I didn't mean I'd put the bookshelf in the wall; rather I'd remove the drivers and crossover from the bookshelf and fabricate in-wall enclosure of similar volume. Hsu has confirmed to me that this is a viable option for a large in-wall center but as you say it's a small room so I'll stick with the standard in-wall model.
Ah, gotcha.

Not a "small" room, about the same size as mine, but hardly "large" which, actually, saves us a ton of money on speakers!
mattztt likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #10 of 14 Old 10-10-2019, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
So have you had an opportunity to listen to these speakers??? How are they???
post #11 of 14 Old 10-10-2019, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR8 View Post
So have you had an opportunity to listen to these speakers??? How are they???
I ended going with the bookshelves in the front three positions behind an AT screen and the in-wall units for the surrounds. We've watched dozens of movies with this setup and they sound fantastic coupled with a HSU VTF-15H MK2 sub.
post #12 of 14 Old 10-11-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
I ended going with the bookshelves in the front three positions behind an AT screen and the in-wall units for the surrounds. We've watched dozens of movies with this setup and they sound fantastic coupled with a HSU VTF-15H MK2 sub.
Did you get three HB1s?

Geoff A. J., California
post #13 of 14 Old 10-11-2019, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Did you get three HB1s?
Yep! Three HB-1s across the front and a pair of HIW-1s for left/right surround. I also have a couple HIW-1s for rear surround but haven't gotten around to putting them in. In the ceiling I have four RSL C34Es.
cocrh likes this.
post #14 of 14 Old 10-11-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Yep! Three HB-1s across the front and a pair of HIW-1s for left/right surround. I also have a couple HIW-1s for rear surround but haven't gotten around to putting them in. In the ceiling I have four RSL C34Es.
Excellent.

Enjoy.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page