Introduction and advice for a new setup - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-25-2018, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Introduction and advice for a new setup

Hello everyone,

I'm a new user here so just thought I'd introduce myself.

I've recently developed an interest in speakers after being involved with high end headphones for a while. Due to recently developing tinnitus after an accident I have found that i just cant tolerate headphones anymore (thankfully my audiogram still shows I have good hearing). After missing high quality music in my life I demoed some good speakers in a store around the £1000-2000 mark. I was very happy with what I heard and importantly how I tolerated it for extended listening.

So I'm now starting to draw up plans to build a system and acoustically treat my bedroom for music listening. I wanted to ask for some advice as although I've been involved with hifi headphone systems I am a beginner in regards to speaker systems.

So this is what I'm working with.

My room dimensions are as follows:
4.7m/15.5ft long
2.6m/8.5ft wide
2.4m/ 7.9ft tall

Volume approx (30m^3 or 1050ft^3)

I could also potentially set up in another room, although I hadn't had a chance to measure it it should be about:

6m/20ft long
2.6m/8.5ft wide
3.4m/11ft tall

Both rooms are rectangular and otherwise symmetric. Both have carpeting, curtains, a bed, and also some wooden furniture which can be removed or relocated

My budget is approximately £2000 for the amp/speakers and some acoustic padding.

My main question at this early stage was:

I realise that my time are quite small but that's just what I have to work with. Would floorstanding speakers be appropriate or would I be better served with a set of bookshelf speakers or studio monitors?

I had initially demoed a set of Dali Opticon 6 and Dali Zensor 7 floorstanders with some interested amps (Cambridge cxa60 and Arcam sa10). I have a 2-3 hour demo session booked with a retailer tommorow and will be trying some other models then.

I've also been watching some videos and reading some guides on acoustic treatment. Any general advice here would also be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-25-2018, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 2712 Post(s)
Liked: 2475
For two channel listening, a pair of floorstanding speakers are a good choice. That said, 8.5' width is pretty narrow for your speakers, as they would probably need to be a few feet away from each side wall (I see why you are looking into wall treatments). Have you considered orienting the room the other way, using the long wall for the speakers? That might give you a more open presentation.

As to which speakers, you'll need to get some in-home demos to assess how they perform. Tough room(s).

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-25-2018, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello, thank you for your respobse.

Yeah the rooms I have to work with are not ideal at all. I have no problems with changing the orientation of the room, but I suppose whatever way I slice it though it's still going to be confined in one dimension. Would that be any better or would I now be too close to the speakers? Just trying to make the best of what I have at the moment.

Hopefully after the demo tommorow I'll have a better idea of what speakers I like and can try get a home demo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-25-2018, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 2712 Post(s)
Liked: 2475
Yeah, no matter what you do, you will have to treat those long walls, either as first reflection points or as reverberation points (behind the speakers and your seating). Just experiment and see what the best solution is. I'm afraid there will be compromises either way.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-14-2019, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8777 Post(s)
Liked: 5964
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasingDopamine View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm a new user here so just thought I'd introduce myself.

I've recently developed an interest in speakers after being involved with high end headphones for a while. Due to recently developing tinnitus after an accident I have found that i just cant tolerate headphones anymore (thankfully my audiogram still shows I have good hearing). After missing high quality music in my life I demoed some good speakers in a store around the £1000-2000 mark. I was very happy with what I heard and importantly how I tolerated it for extended listening.

So I'm now starting to draw up plans to build a system and acoustically treat my bedroom for music listening. I wanted to ask for some advice as although I've been involved with hifi headphone systems I am a beginner in regards to speaker systems.

So this is what I'm working with.

My room dimensions are as follows:
4.7m/15.5ft long
2.6m/8.5ft wide
2.4m/ 7.9ft tall

Volume approx (30m^3 or 1050ft^3)

I could also potentially set up in another room, although I hadn't had a chance to measure it it should be about:

6m/20ft long
2.6m/8.5ft wide
3.4m/11ft tall

Both rooms are rectangular and otherwise symmetric. Both have carpeting, curtains, a bed, and also some wooden furniture which can be removed or relocated

My budget is approximately £2000 for the amp/speakers and some acoustic padding.

My main question at this early stage was:

I realise that my time are quite small but that's just what I have to work with. Would floorstanding speakers be appropriate or would I be better served with a set of bookshelf speakers or studio monitors?

I had initially demoed a set of Dali Opticon 6 and Dali Zensor 7 floorstanders with some interested amps (Cambridge cxa60 and Arcam sa10). I have a 2-3 hour demo session booked with a retailer tommorow and will be trying some other models then.

I've also been watching some videos and reading some guides on acoustic treatment. Any general advice here would also be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time,
Those are long narrow rooms and if you put the speakers on the long wall you'd be sitting very very close so you will have to place the speakers on the short was as I have done in my main movie room which is just a living room with the only wall treatment being a tapestry behind the couch, (which is up against the wall).

Floor standing speakers like being at least two feet from any wall so I think you'd be better served with quality bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer.

As this sounds like a music only system the subwoofer does not have to be all that large or powerful to hit below 30hz, even a sub that hits to 35hz like the Q Acoustics 3070 or similar would be excellent for music.

Ideally though you'd buy an amplifier with bass management for use with a subwoofer.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page