Just bought these new speakers Kef q100 - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 168Likes

post #121 of 288 Old 08-09-2018, 08:09 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Let us know how you feel the C1's sound
Lp85253 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 288 Old 08-09-2018, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohurst View Post
Let us know how you feel the C1's sound
yea not too many infos on the c-1, as opposed of superzeros and c-3. I saw people preferring the kef q100 over the superzero , and it worried me a little , but at the end of the day it's all about personal preference.
I bet the NHt-c-1 sound clear and detail , wich is why advanced members recommended them to me.

turns out the guy doesn't want to sell is HSU alone (but in a 1500k bundle with 4 speakers, a pioneer elite and more)...

so i will need a 8 inch or 10 inch sub just for music ala emotiva basx, or something else if it exists..
post #123 of 288 Old 08-09-2018, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2020 Post(s)
Liked: 1696
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123go View Post
yea not too many infos on the c-1, as opposed of superzeros and c-3. I saw people preferring the kef q100 over the superzero , and it worried me a little , but at the end of the day it's all about personal preference.
I bet the NHt-c-1 sound clear and detail , wich is why advanced members recommended them to me.

turns out the guy doesn't want to sell is HSU alone (but in a 1500k bundle with 4 speakers, a pioneer elite and more)...

so i will need a 8 inch or 10 inch sub just for music ala emotiva basx, or something else if it exists..
the c1 should be a big step up from the superzero.. i am very curious to hear how you like them .. i have debated ordering them myself..

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 288 Old 08-09-2018, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
the c1 should be a big step up from the superzero.. i am very curious to hear how you like them .. i have debated ordering them myself..
yea i saw you're post on another thread regarding this. Didn't know you also had the emotiva b1 , did u end up selling them, and going back to the kef q100?
post #125 of 288 Old 08-09-2018, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
yea i saw you're post on another thread regarding this. Didn't know you also had the emotiva b1 , did u end up selling them, and going back to the kef q100?
i have the b1s set up in 1 room and the q100s in another.. the b1s are better for me.. i like the q100s for movies , but they are a little bright to my taste on some music.. so i am looking for replacements .. i am thinking philharmonic audio mini monitors.. or nht c3/c1.. or even emotiva t1... among others..
123go likes this.

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
post #126 of 288 Old 08-09-2018, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7050 Post(s)
Liked: 5357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmash View Post
Wish they would have checked out the versions with the upgraded drivers as well. Audioholics usually loves RBH so I was a bit surprised about the somewhat lackluster review.
Huh, did I read the same review? I didn't think it wasn't "lackluster" at all but generally quite positive.

IMO the lack of orgasmic gushing in any audio review is a credit to the reviewer and suggests they are not a fanboy and/or on the take.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #127 of 288 Old 08-09-2018, 09:06 AM

Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7050 Post(s)
Liked: 5357
Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
85 db is probably fine for normal people. Is that for just one speaker, or a stereo pair? I am now listening with peaks of 89 db(multichannel music), with 5 speakers and two subs. I often listen with peaks of 100,and when I'm crazy(er) more. It depends on my mood. Right now, I would be fine with 85 db other than the fact I'd rather have headroom, and not be playing near limits. And yes, I know I'm an outlier, and probably have minor hearing damage. (not enough to affect my life).
Self-awareness within a realistic societal context is a wonderful thing...wish it were more widespread around here.
Lp85253 and drh3b like this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #128 of 288 Old 08-09-2018, 09:07 AM

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8768 Post(s)
Liked: 5959
Usually when Floyd Toole is mentioned it's a wall of text but in this article I received today he puts his thoughts into a relatively easy to understand "nutshell" that I think many might find interesting and help them focus their financial resources when it comes to speakers/subs.

To me it makes the Elac EQ series of subs more attractive as a sub option despite their 10" version, which Sound & Vision liked, "only" playing down to 25hz.

In my main HT I've had a sub with self EQ for 9 years, (not an Elac), and in my secondary room I EQ'd my crappy little Yamaha subs using REW+Umik+MiniDSP to good effect.

"“If you are fortunate enough to see a set of anechoically measured curves (i.e., measurements taken in a room with virtually no sonic reflections—Ed.) that are smooth and flattish on and off axis, the loudspeaker is likely to sound good — [that is,] neutral,” he adds. “There’s no mystery to it: If you don’t like what you hear in that loudspeaker, don’t blame the speaker, blame the recording.”

To make the most of your home sound system, it’s no secret that you’ll need quality speakers. “If you purchased a good loudspeaker to begin with, leave it alone.” Toole advises. “Several room equalization techniques exist, implying that any loudspeaker in any room can be made to sound good. [Equalization] may or may not improve the sound of a poor loudspeaker, but unfortunately there is a good chance you could degrade the sound of a good loudspeaker. Two ears and a brain respond very differently to a complex sound field — and are much more analytical — than an omni-directional mic and analyzer. That said, equalization at bass frequencies is almost always helpful in dealing with room “boom” – [that is,] resonances in small rooms.”

According to Toole, the first thing you should do when setting up your home sound system is to adjust all channels to be at the same levels, and so that they all arrive at the right times. Many receivers and processors offer controls that can can assist with this.

In terms of room acoustics, if you start with well-designed loudspeakers, normal furnishing may be all you need. “Some audiophiles think all reflections are bad,” observes Toole, “but such rooms are oppressively dead. It turns out that a happy medium is easily achieved in normal rooms. Bookcases, lamps, tables, chairs, carpet and drapes — all of these things bring room acoustics into the range of acceptability. If you live in such a room, just buy some very good loudspeakers, hook them up, turn on your system, play something you like and enjoy it.”

“Take note of the fact that there is substantial scientific research that has been done to provide guidance,” are Toole’s parting words. “Manufacturers of quality loudspeakers tend to reveal the performance of their products. Others don’t. You should be skeptical of those who don’t.”"

https://hub.yamaha.com/how-we-interp...rpretsoundblog
Lp85253 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #129 of 288 Old 08-09-2018, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Usually when Floyd Toole is mentioned it's a wall of text but in this article I received today he puts his thoughts into a relatively easy to understand "nutshell" that I think many might find interesting and help them focus their financial resources when it comes to speakers/subs.

To me it makes the Elac EQ series of subs more attractive as a sub option despite their 10" version, which Sound & Vision liked, "only" playing down to 25hz.

In my main HT I've had a sub with self EQ for 9 years, (not an Elac), and in my secondary room I EQ'd my crappy little Yamaha subs using REW+Umik+MiniDSP to good effect.

"“If you are fortunate enough to see a set of anechoically measured curves (i.e., measurements taken in a room with virtually no sonic reflections—Ed.) that are smooth and flattish on and off axis, the loudspeaker is likely to sound good — [that is,] neutral,” he adds. “There’s no mystery to it: If you don’t like what you hear in that loudspeaker, don’t blame the speaker, blame the recording.”

To make the most of your home sound system, it’s no secret that you’ll need quality speakers. “If you purchased a good loudspeaker to begin with, leave it alone.” Toole advises. “Several room equalization techniques exist, implying that any loudspeaker in any room can be made to sound good. [Equalization] may or may not improve the sound of a poor loudspeaker, but unfortunately there is a good chance you could degrade the sound of a good loudspeaker. Two ears and a brain respond very differently to a complex sound field — and are much more analytical — than an omni-directional mic and analyzer. That said, equalization at bass frequencies is almost always helpful in dealing with room “boom” – [that is,] resonances in small rooms.”

According to Toole, the first thing you should do when setting up your home sound system is to adjust all channels to be at the same levels, and so that they all arrive at the right times. Many receivers and processors offer controls that can can assist with this.

In terms of room acoustics, if you start with well-designed loudspeakers, normal furnishing may be all you need. “Some audiophiles think all reflections are bad,” observes Toole, “but such rooms are oppressively dead. It turns out that a happy medium is easily achieved in normal rooms. Bookcases, lamps, tables, chairs, carpet and drapes — all of these things bring room acoustics into the range of acceptability. If you live in such a room, just buy some very good loudspeakers, hook them up, turn on your system, play something you like and enjoy it.”

“Take note of the fact that there is substantial scientific research that has been done to provide guidance,” are Toole’s parting words. “Manufacturers of quality loudspeakers tend to reveal the performance of their products. Others don’t. You should be skeptical of those who don’t.”"

https://hub.yamaha.com/how-we-interp...rpretsoundblog
that last paragraph speaks volumes...it makes me respect my current speakers (b1s ) even more , they have been graphed and reviewed by independent reviewers to be pretty flat.. there sure seems to be a lack of measurements in regards to many speakers we talk about , including some that get lots of recs... another great, well documented line of speakers would be Phiharmonic audio, i wouldn't ever hesitate to recommend them...

post #130 of 288 Old 08-09-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
that last paragraph speaks volumes...it makes me respect my current speakers (b1s ) even more , they have been graphed and reviewed by independent reviewers to be pretty flat.. there sure seems to be a lack of measurements in regards to many speakers we talk about , including some that get lots of recs... another great, well documented line of speakers would be Phiharmonic audio, i wouldn't ever hesitate to recommend them...
I think it's food for thought though in my secondary room my speakers (LX16/Motion 15) measured HORRIBLY when tested by S&V but, curiously, in my room using REW and my Umik, they measure very very well.

Just plain weird!
Lp85253 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #131 of 288 Old 08-09-2018, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think it's food for thought though in my secondary room my speakers (LX16/Motion 15) measured HORRIBLY when tested by S&V but, curiously, in my room using REW and my Umik, they measure very very well.

Just plain weird!
funny how you, a guy with a trained ear ends up with a set of speakers that does well after eq in his room...makes me think that there is some wisdom on here.. i think we sometimes end up in group think( i am trying to avoid that , but we know that can be hard).. and that leads to some mediocre speakers getting popular on here...

post #132 of 288 Old 08-09-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
funny how you, a guy with a trained ear ends up with a set of speakers that does well after eq in his room...makes me think that there is some wisdom on here.. i think we sometimes end up in group think( i am trying to avoid that , but we know that can be hard).. and that leads to some mediocre speakers getting popular on here...
No, I don't pretend to have a trained ear at all as I've liked virtually all the speakers I've owned over the years...and that includes Bose 301s and Bose 901 Serries II, (the latter lacked treble but made up for it listening to 80s music in the 80s by having great bass punch).

The LX16s were the first I measured with REW and I only did that to get a handle on my two little pea shooter subs in my secondary room.

If the measurements had sucked (as I thought they would) I would have shrugged and still kept them as I'm happy with them.

I have zero interest at all in using REW to measure the speakers in my main HT and there are not measurements out there for them as they are not a blip on anyone's radar worldwide!

I just liked them when I heard them at a now closed HiFi shop near my house and also when I compared them head to head with my B&W CM1 Concept 90s that my daughter now has.

Usher V602/603.

Had I seen measurements prior to buying without hearing I'd likely not have the LX16s.

So, no, don't do what I did in terms of buying without hearing speakers that measure poorly as you might not get as "lucky" as I inadvertently did.

Why did I buy them then?

AVS recommendations and, at the time, 50 percent off msrp.
Lp85253 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #133 of 288 Old 08-09-2018, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No, I don't pretend to have a trained ear at all as I've liked virtually all the speakers I've owned over the years...and that includes Bose 301s and Bose 901 Serries II, (the latter lacked treble but made up for it listening to 80s music in the 80s by having great bass punch).

The LX16s were the first I measured with REW and I only did that to get a handle on my two little pea shooter subs in my secondary room.

If the measurements had sucked (as I thought they would) I would have shrugged and still kept them as I'm happy with them.

I have zero interest at all in using REW to measure the speakers in my main HT and there are not measurements out there for them as they are not a blip on anyone's radar worldwide!

I just liked them when I heard them at a now closed HiFi shop near my house and also when I compared them head to head with my B&W CM1 Concept 90s that my daughter now has.

Usher V602/603.

Had I seen measurements prior to buying without hearing I'd likely not have the LX16s.

So, no, don't do what I did in terms of buying without hearing speakers that measure poorly as you might not get as "lucky" as I inadvertently did.

Why did I buy them then?

AVS recommendations and, at the time, 50 percent off msrp.
i think your ear is a little better than you give credit for... you have a few years in the hobby... even if the lx16s were a "lucky" pick it seems that you have other good speaker choices .. i think lots of others would echo your Usher pick.. anyway .. i liked your Floyd Toole post .. it makes lots of sense , and makes me feel that all the audio hobby "skills" i am working hard to cultivate can and are paying off to some degree.. not to mention i love to challenge myself.. i am a firm believer that "the greatest rivalry one has is with himself"

post #134 of 288 Old 08-10-2018, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

THe NHT arrive tuesday , i'm anxious i want them to beat the Kef q100(wich i'm liking more and more)

I wonder if I should go with the Superone for the extra bass if i'm planing on not running a sub cause the C-1 have practically no bass at all.
Was gonna post this in the NHT thread..(can't see where it is if it exists)
post #135 of 288 Old 08-10-2018, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
THe NHT arrive tuesday , i'm anxious i want them to beat the Kef q100(wich i'm liking more and more)

I wonder if I should go with the Superone for the extra bass if i'm planing on not running a sub cause the C-1 have practically no bass at all.
Was gonna post this in the NHT thread..(can't see where it is if it exists)
the c series is a step up speaker from the superone.. although it will have a little more bass.. for music the c should be close to enough bass in a small room i would think... you may well decide to get a small sub for music once you hear the c1's

post #136 of 288 Old 08-10-2018, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
the c series is a step up speaker from the superone.. although it will have a little more bass.. for music the c should be close to enough bass in a small room i would think... you may well decide to get a small sub for music once you hear the c1's
ok i think i got confused
cause i thought the superones had more Bass going down at 53 hz vs the C-1 that go down at 70 hz This may not be the reality just false infomation i suppose, and hope that the c-1 have more bass output.
post #137 of 288 Old 08-10-2018, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 700
If you aren't running a sub, I'd look at the Dali Zensor line. When I had both the Dali Zensor 1 and the NHT SuperOne, I thought they sounded almost identical in the mids and highs. Bass was comparable between the two, and the bigger Dali Zensor 3 would be an even better option.

The Zensors are pricier, no doubt, but I felt they were a little more refined than the NHT's.

The C-1 is probably better (smoother) than all of them, but will also have the least amount of bass. You will kinda have to pick your priorities. The C-1 with a sub, would be my first and, in my opinion, best option of all. Even a small 8 or 10 inch sub would be dramatically helpful.

Last edited by l0nestar8; 08-10-2018 at 07:16 PM.
post #138 of 288 Old 08-10-2018, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
cause i thought the superones had more Bass going down at 53 hz vs the C-1 that go down at 70 hz This may not be the reality just false infomation i suppose, and hope that the c-1 have more bass output.
The SuperOnes will definitely have more bass than the C-1's, if that's your priority.
post #139 of 288 Old 08-10-2018, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I think @Lp85253 is saying that the C-1 with a sub will greatly outperform the SuperOne. The difference between a 53Hz and 70Hz -6dB point is noticeable and, as far as I know, NHT doesn't exaggerate specs any more than anyone else.

Also FWIW, a 70Hz -6dB is basically perfect for mating with a sub at 80Hz (standard recommendation). If I was allowed two rooms with a sub (which I'm not), I'd closely consider a small, sealed monitor like the C-1. Not much else out there like it.
Lp85253 likes this.

Last edited by l0nestar8; 08-10-2018 at 07:15 PM.
post #140 of 288 Old 08-10-2018, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by l0nestar8 View Post
The SuperOnes will definitely have more bass than the C-1's, if that's your priority.
90% of subs are bashed on here on this forum except a few brands (svs, hsu, bic , emotiva) so that restricts the options a lot i find when looking in the used market (cheap subs)

If there is no bass in the c-1 and they sell them at 400 CDN regular price , it means that the rest of the sound must be high quality. If that is your number 1 choice i'm willing to give it a try . I find it easier when the speakers have bass since i don't have to worry about crossovers too much and if the sub is doing a good or bad job..
Lp85253 likes this.
post #141 of 288 Old 08-11-2018, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by l0nestar8 View Post
I think @Lp85253 is saying that the C-1 with a sub will greatly outperform the SuperOne. The difference between a 53Hz and 70Hz -6dB point is noticeable and, as far as I know, NHT doesn't exaggerate specs any more than anyone else.

Also FWIW, a 70Hz -6dB is basically perfect for mating with a sub at 80Hz (standard recommendation). If I was allowed two rooms with a sub (which I'm not), I'd closely consider a small, sealed monitor like the C-1. Not much else out there like it.
that is a very good interpretation.. that is what i was trying to say..

post #142 of 288 Old 08-11-2018, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
90% of subs are bashed on here on this forum except a few brands (svs, hsu, bic , emotiva) so that restricts the options a lot i find when looking in the used market (cheap subs)

If there is no bass in the c-1 and they sell them at 400 CDN regular price , it means that the rest of the sound must be high quality. If that is your number 1 choice i'm willing to give it a try . I find it easier when the speakers have bass since i don't have to worry about crossovers too much and if the sub is doing a good or bad job..
i think you might find the c1 plus a small sub like the emotiva basx8 will perform very well with music.. but see if you likethe c1 before you order the sub..

post #143 of 288 Old 08-11-2018, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
i think you might find the c1 plus a small sub like the emotiva basx8 will perform very well with music.. but see if you likethe c1 before you order the sub..
here in Canada the Emotiva 8 is https://www.amazon.ca/Emotiva-Audio-...dp/B0725D13VC: 450 + taxes :500 $

i could get a SVS for 600 ...but anyways my budget was around 200-250 in the used market...
Lp85253 likes this.
post #144 of 288 Old 08-11-2018, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
here in Canada the Emotiva 8 is https://www.amazon.ca/Emotiva-Audio-...dp/B0725D13VC: 450 + taxes :500 $

i could get a SVS for 600 ...but anyways my budget was around 200-250 in the used market...
the svs should be a good buy at $600 (Can)... but see if you like the c1 then go from there.. the used market will work.. for music , a basic(small) sub will work...
123go likes this.

Last edited by Lp85253; 08-11-2018 at 09:07 AM.
post #145 of 288 Old 08-11-2018, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
the svs should be a good buy at $600 (Can)... but see if you like the c1 then go from there.. the used market will work.. for music , a basic(small) sub will work...
basic small sub like this :

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-haut-parleur...ion/1373854944
post #146 of 288 Old 08-11-2018, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
exactly like that.. if it works well , that would be an ok sub... figuring out if it's a "good deal" is a little harder .. i am not familiar with that model(i haven't heard it) but velodyne makes quality stuff..

post #147 of 288 Old 08-11-2018, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
exactly like that.. if it works well , that would be an ok sub... figuring out if it's a "good deal" is a little harder .. i am not familiar with that model(i haven't heard it) but velodyne makes quality stuff..
yea i'm dealing it at 80$ so it's not bad. Heard some samples on youtube it surely kills my Polk Psw10 bass ..so that + NHT should be nice (and one day hophelly a good hSu or SVS ).
post #148 of 288 Old 08-11-2018, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
yea i'm dealing it at 80$ so it's not bad. Heard some samples on youtube it surely kills my Polk Psw10 bass ..so that + NHT should be nice (and one day hophelly a good hSu or SVS ).
you have the polk now ? correct?(long thread , i forgot).. if so use it to help decide if you like the c1's.. it should be easy to find a better sub , but at least with the polk you can get full range sound...

post #149 of 288 Old 08-11-2018, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
you have the polk now ? correct?(long thread , i forgot).. if so use it to help decide if you like the c1's.. it should be easy to find a better sub , but at least with the polk you can get full range sound...
I don't like it at all .. I usually turn it off, all the bass frequency sound the same , it's boomy and loud for some parts and too soft for other frequencies...If i set the crossover to 200 hz and the speakers too small , letting all the subwoofer handle the bass down , the result is a lot worse than if i let the Kef do bass until 80 hz...The quality is just horrible. Not sure the velodyne is a huge upgrade but i need to try it to know.
Lp85253 likes this.
post #150 of 288 Old 08-11-2018, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't like it at all .. I usually turn it off, all the bass frequency sound the same , it's boomy and loud for some parts and too soft for other frequencies...If i set the crossover to 200 hz and the speakers too small , letting all the subwoofer handle the bass down , the result is a lot worse than if i let the Kef do bass until 80 hz...The quality is just horrible. Not sure the velodyne is a huge upgrade but i need to try it to know.
i am sure the velodyne would be an upgrade over the polk..if you set the x over of the polk at 80 or 90 and let the c1's do everything above that , you can get an idea though, of how they will sound , they will just sound better with a better sub.. most budget subs won't handle anything above 90-100hz very well.. even some so called "good" subs don't do well over about 150...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page