AVS Forum banner

Sub Suggestion please

794 views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  tipsymcstaggers 
#1 ·
Hello:

I am new here and trying to get this setup and would appreciate your suggestions for a Sub.
The room size is 14 ft x 16 ft with 2 windows. I just need a basic setup for HT. Thank you!

Emotive Airmotiv T2
Emotive Airmotive C2
Sub ?

#3 ·
Here's a list compiled by a forum member:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/2992036-surround-system-advice.html#post56531700

The 10" Monoprice Monolith is out of stock, with an estimated availability of 9/9/2018.

The Hsu Research VTF-2 Mk5 is a popular choice. (I have a couple of VTF-1s, one a Mk2, the other a Mk3. They do quite well, considering that they are Hsu's smallest.) One nice thing about Hsu VTF subs is that they are configurable: sealed, one port, or 2 ports. The bad thing is that Hsu doesn't pay return shipping if you decide that you don't want it. (hard to imagine not wanting one, though.)

Neither of these is out of line if you're prepared to spend $1k+ on the fronts.

#6 ·
I just bought the T2 & C2
You will be very very happy. IMO....best value out there in T2 towers. They are simply amazing.

Now Subs---You can get away with HSU VTF2 MK5 (duals), depending on SIZE of your room. If your room is 2000-3000 cubic ft that will be find.
OR

You can do this once and be done...I JUST BOUGHT THESE WAITING FOR DELIVERY
SVS PB 13 - the shiny ones just sold out....they are $1400. A very knowledgeable sub guy HIGHLY recommended these subs.

https://www.svsound.com/collections/outlet-specials/products/pb13-ultra-outlet-black-oak

Sub & Center very important if you do mostly HT and not much music. I'm told these SVS subs are going to make my HSU's look/sound/feel like toddlers

You want good budget, do HSU ....but you getting top of the line Emotiva...why wouldnt you get top of line Subs?

#7 ·
As @jjackkrash said we need to know what your budget includes.

Rythmik makes some great subs. May be over your budget, but check out the L12 or LV12R for under $550 shipped.

Whatever you get, I would not skimp on the sub; it is likely to be with you longer, and is "the" piece that takes the load off the other speakers (and AVR) in the system so they can shine.

HTH - Don

Reactions: philly777
#20 ·
When I was looking a few weeks ago for a sub for $1000 or less, I settled on a b stock PSA V1500. I imagine that all of the subs mentioned in this thread are great, but PSA quickly became my choice as I chatted with Tom at PSA. Tom provides some of the best customer service I have encountered in any industry and his subs are all made in the USA which was a bonus. I have had the sub for a couple of weeks and it is nothing short of amazing. Before you make a decision, I encourage you to hop on the PSA site (www.powersoundaudio.com) and chat with Tom for a bit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.