Are towers too much for my room? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 31Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 Old 08-07-2018, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Are towers too much for my room?

I currently have a bedroom converted to a Media Room, and I am looking at replacing my Vizio SB4051-D5 for a true 5.1(.2) system. I like my Vizio (certainly more than my Sony HTCT I have in another room), but almost immediately after getting it I started looking at AVRs and speakers (though that might have something to do with following AVS). Then a month or two ago, I had to power cycle the sound bar 3 weekends in a row, including a call to Customer Support. It has worked fine since then, but any excuse to upgrade.

I would like to upgrade a little at a time. Start with main speakers, then center channel, sub, surrounds, and finally atmos, eventually building to a 5.1.2 system. Years ago I had Mirage Nanosats with a Denon AVR and I really liked them (though using a nanosat as a center wasn’t the greatest). I am looking for something different this time.

After reading everything here, I went to BB to listen to some speakers.

My favorite speaker was the Def Tech BP9020. I found it clearer than the ELAC towers, fuller than the B&W, and not as bright as Klipsch (though that wasn’t in the room, and I liked them a lot more than I thought I would).

I went back on a second occasion to relisten to everything (especially since the ELAC center was out of commission the first time around). I confirmed that the BP9020 was my favorite, but I gave a listen to the ELAC B6.2 and was impressed, but still liked the BP9020. I liked the soundstage on the ELAC more, but I think that was probably just positioning.

However, I am concerned that towers are too much for my room. My room is 10’x10’x10’, with a listening position ~8’. My usage is roughly: Roku TV Streaming 50%; DVD Movies: 25%; Sports: 20%; Games: 4%; Music: 1%. I prefer the look of towers, but I did find some speaker stands that I don’t hate, so I could get some bookshelves. I haven’t heard them myself, but based on the most recent speaker shootout, the Q Acoustics 3020i are appealing.

My budget is ~$1000 for the first go around. I know I would need to get an open box or some other pricing not found in this area of the forum to get the Def Techs, but I am willing to make that work (so maybe my budget is closer to $1400, but would like to keep it at $1k)

Will the BP9020 be too much for my 10’x10’x10’ room? Or should I go with bookshelves+sub+stands? I typically don’t listen at high volumes, if that makes a difference.
[For the purposes of this post assume I have a Sony DN1080 AVR (though I don’t have it yet)].
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Media Room.png
Views:	60
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	2438772  
ehatch is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 43 Old 08-07-2018, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 4,752
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2574 Post(s)
Liked: 1196
When you listened to speakers, did the other models have a sub hooked up? It's an unfair fight to compare towers w/ built-in subs against regular towers or bookshelves w/ no sub. In that situation, those same speakers w/ sub may beat the def techs.

Did you listen to martin logans? Just wondering if you'd like them better than the def techs. Most BB's usually carry them.
Sask HT likes this.
Doe Doe is offline  
post #3 of 43 Old 08-07-2018, 02:06 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 144
My room is bigger, but my couch is 5' from the TV and I have tower speakers on either side. They sound fantastic and I've never once thought I should have less speaker.

My concern would be more with how they fit and look in the room.

LG OLED65B7, LG UP970, Yamaha RXA770, Polk S55's, Polk S35, Polk S15's, KEF Ci160ER's, Dual SVS PB-1000's
Sask HT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 43 Old 08-07-2018, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 12,329
Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6918 Post(s)
Liked: 5208
Yes, in a 10 x 10 room, with a desired $1K budget, 1% music use and moderate volume listening, towers would be a complete waste of space and money.

If you are set on buying your speakers from BB, then in addition to the ELAC v2 speakers I would suggest hearing the Polk S series...they should be even a bit clearer than the ELAC but without the treble dominance of the Def Techs, while costing in the same ballpark as the ELACs. I'd try out a pair of S15 for L/R and S30 center, that should set you back about $530 before taxes.

To be honest though, the best speaker bang for your buck by far that Best Buy offers is the unassuming Sony Core bookshelf at $120/pair...get 2 pairs, for front and surrounds. Just don't buy the "matching" Sony Core center, go with a proven center channel speaker like the Polk S30 (though if you're willing to buy online, the Emotiva C1 or C2 would be the best). The main limitation of the Sony Cores is that they can't handle high volumes, which in your case doesn't matter since you don't play loud anyhow.

The center does 80% of the output during movies, even more during sports. That is exactly the one piece you do not want to cut any corners or take any chances with.

That would save you plenty in your budget for a quality sub, of which the only really good one that BB carries is the $500 SVS PB1000 (which you can buy online for the same price but no sales tax).

Generally speaking, if you are comfortable NOT buying from Best Buy, your money will buy you a whole better level of price-to-performance.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
post #5 of 43 Old 08-07-2018, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 18,402
Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8579 Post(s)
Liked: 5779
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehatch View Post
I currently have a bedroom converted to a Media Room, and I am looking at replacing my Vizio SB4051-D5 for a true 5.1(.2) system. I like my Vizio (certainly more than my Sony HTCT I have in another room), but almost immediately after getting it I started looking at AVRs and speakers (though that might have something to do with following AVS). Then a month or two ago, I had to power cycle the sound bar 3 weekends in a row, including a call to Customer Support. It has worked fine since then, but any excuse to upgrade.

I would like to upgrade a little at a time. Start with main speakers, then center channel, sub, surrounds, and finally atmos, eventually building to a 5.1.2 system. Years ago I had Mirage Nanosats with a Denon AVR and I really liked them (though using a nanosat as a center wasn’t the greatest). I am looking for something different this time.

After reading everything here, I went to BB to listen to some speakers.

My favorite speaker was the Def Tech BP9020. I found it clearer than the ELAC towers, fuller than the B&W, and not as bright as Klipsch (though that wasn’t in the room, and I liked them a lot more than I thought I would).

I went back on a second occasion to relisten to everything (especially since the ELAC center was out of commission the first time around). I confirmed that the BP9020 was my favorite, but I gave a listen to the ELAC B6.2 and was impressed, but still liked the BP9020. I liked the soundstage on the ELAC more, but I think that was probably just positioning.

However, I am concerned that towers are too much for my room. My room is 10’x10’x10’, with a listening position ~8’. My usage is roughly: Roku TV Streaming 50%; DVD Movies: 25%; Sports: 20%; Games: 4%; Music: 1%. I prefer the look of towers, but I did find some speaker stands that I don’t hate, so I could get some bookshelves. I haven’t heard them myself, but based on the most recent speaker shootout, the Q Acoustics 3020i are appealing.

My budget is ~$1000 for the first go around. I know I would need to get an open box or some other pricing not found in this area of the forum to get the Def Techs, but I am willing to make that work (so maybe my budget is closer to $1400, but would like to keep it at $1k)

Will the BP9020 be too much for my 10’x10’x10’ room? Or should I go with bookshelves+sub+stands? I typically don’t listen at high volumes, if that makes a difference.
[For the purposes of this post assume I have a Sony DN1080 AVR (though I don’t have it yet)].
They want at least 6" from a FLAT side wall on each side so your slanted wall would seem to problematic for the side firing woofer and backfiring set of driver.

But in your space towers are unnecessary and won't perform their best to be honest.

Plus even at the current $100 off the BP center channel is $400.

Better to get smaller bookshelves and thus you are able to afford better speakers in the two most important locations; the center and the subwoofer.

I'd take the Elacs or Polk Signatures home and return the loser if you must buy from best buy.

These internet direct companies offer free returns so they are well worth consideration also unless you are locked into Best Buy.

Aperion
HTD
RSL
JBL
BufordTJustice likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #6 of 43 Old 08-07-2018, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4,033
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1930 Post(s)
Liked: 1648
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehatch View Post
I currently have a bedroom converted to a Media Room, and I am looking at replacing my Vizio SB4051-D5 for a true 5.1(.2) system. I like my Vizio (certainly more than my Sony HTCT I have in another room), but almost immediately after getting it I started looking at AVRs and speakers (though that might have something to do with following AVS). Then a month or two ago, I had to power cycle the sound bar 3 weekends in a row, including a call to Customer Support. It has worked fine since then, but any excuse to upgrade.

I would like to upgrade a little at a time. Start with main speakers, then center channel, sub, surrounds, and finally atmos, eventually building to a 5.1.2 system. Years ago I had Mirage Nanosats with a Denon AVR and I really liked them (though using a nanosat as a center wasn’t the greatest). I am looking for something different this time.

After reading everything here, I went to BB to listen to some speakers.

My favorite speaker was the Def Tech BP9020. I found it clearer than the ELAC towers, fuller than the B&W, and not as bright as Klipsch (though that wasn’t in the room, and I liked them a lot more than I thought I would).

I went back on a second occasion to relisten to everything (especially since the ELAC center was out of commission the first time around). I confirmed that the BP9020 was my favorite, but I gave a listen to the ELAC B6.2 and was impressed, but still liked the BP9020. I liked the soundstage on the ELAC more, but I think that was probably just positioning.

However, I am concerned that towers are too much for my room. My room is 10’x10’x10’, with a listening position ~8’. My usage is roughly: Roku TV Streaming 50%; DVD Movies: 25%; Sports: 20%; Games: 4%; Music: 1%. I prefer the look of towers, but I did find some speaker stands that I don’t hate, so I could get some bookshelves. I haven’t heard them myself, but based on the most recent speaker shootout, the Q Acoustics 3020i are appealing.

My budget is ~$1000 for the first go around. I know I would need to get an open box or some other pricing not found in this area of the forum to get the Def Techs, but I am willing to make that work (so maybe my budget is closer to $1400, but would like to keep it at $1k)

Will the BP9020 be too much for my 10’x10’x10’ room? Or should I go with bookshelves+sub+stands? I typically don’t listen at high volumes, if that makes a difference.
[For the purposes of this post assume I have a Sony DN1080 AVR (though I don’t have it yet)].
i have to echo the previous 3 posts... towers probably are not only "overkill" , but detriment to good sound...you could get bigger sound from something like the rbh 515 lcr type speakers.. they would have dual mid drivers.. you could do 3 across the front then add an emotiva basx10 sub .. that would be plenty of "pop" in a 10x10x10 room...
BufordTJustice likes this.

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is offline  
post #7 of 43 Old 08-07-2018, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe Doe View Post
When you listened to speakers, did the other models have a sub hooked up? It's an unfair fight to compare towers w/ built-in subs against regular towers or bookshelves w/ no sub. In that situation, those same speakers w/ sub may beat the def techs.

Did you listen to martin logans? Just wondering if you'd like them better than the def techs. Most BB's usually carry them.
I listened to the Def Techs with and without a sub vs everything with a sub. Even without the sub I still liked the Def Techs.

I did listen to Martin Logans on my second trip, but the sub was on way too high and drowned out everything so I didn't get a good listen.
ehatch is offline  
post #8 of 43 Old 08-07-2018, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Yes, in a 10 x 10 room, with a desired $1K budget, 1% music use and moderate volume listening, towers would be a complete waste of space and money.

If you are set on buying your speakers from BB, then in addition to the ELAC v2 speakers I would suggest hearing the Polk S series...they should be even a bit clearer than the ELAC but without the treble dominance of the Def Techs, while costing in the same ballpark as the ELACs. I'd try out a pair of S15 for L/R and S30 center, that should set you back about $530 before taxes.

To be honest though, the best speaker bang for your buck by far that Best Buy offers is the unassuming Sony Core bookshelf at $120/pair...get 2 pairs, for front and surrounds. Just don't buy the "matching" Sony Core center, go with a proven center channel speaker like the Polk S30 (though if you're willing to buy online, the Emotiva C1 or C2 would be the best). The main limitation of the Sony Cores is that they can't handle high volumes, which in your case doesn't matter since you don't play loud anyhow.

The center does 80% of the output during movies, even more during sports. That is exactly the one piece you do not want to cut any corners or take any chances with.

That would save you plenty in your budget for a quality sub, of which the only really good one that BB carries is the $500 SVS PB1000 (which you can buy online for the same price but no sales tax).

Generally speaking, if you are comfortable NOT buying from Best Buy, your money will buy you a whole better level of price-to-performance.
While buying from BB would be convenient, I am not tied to buying from them. In fact, I probably WON'T buy from them as I might be able to get a better deal elsewhere. I have narrowed down my sub to SVS SB1000 or the Monolith 10.
Lp85253 and BufordTJustice like this.
ehatch is offline  
post #9 of 43 Old 08-07-2018, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
They want at least 6" from a FLAT side wall on each side so your slanted wall would seem to problematic for the side firing woofer and backfiring set of driver.

But in your space towers are unnecessary and won't perform their best to be honest.

Plus even at the current $100 off the BP center channel is $400.

Better to get smaller bookshelves and thus you are able to afford better speakers in the two most important locations; the center and the subwoofer.

I'd take the Elacs or Polk Signatures home and return the loser if you must buy from best buy.

These internet direct companies offer free returns so they are well worth consideration also unless you are locked into Best Buy.

Aperion
HTD
RSL
JBL
That angled wall might be a little shallower than I depicted, meaning I would have a bit more room, but regardless it sounds like my best option is bookshelves.

Given that, how would (any) bookshelves be with a phantom center? Am I better off waiting/saving to buy LCR all at once? (The answer is probably yes, so revise question to how much better?)
ehatch is offline  
post #10 of 43 Old 08-07-2018, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Kini62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 7,932
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2680 Post(s)
Liked: 2470
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehatch View Post
While buying from BB would be convenient, I am not tied to buying from them. In fact, I probably WON'T buy from them as I might be able to get a better deal elsewhere. I have narrowed down my sub to SVS SB1000 or the Monolith 10.
If you like the towers and can afford them then get them. Your room is not too small. Slim towers like the BPs take up no more floor space than bookshelf speakers on stands. For music you can get away without a sub, for movies you'll want a sub for sure.

Between the Monolith 10 and the SVS SB1000 you mentioned the Monolith is a far better HT sub. The more comparable SVS is the PB1000.
RKSKYDANCER likes this.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
Kini62 is offline  
post #11 of 43 Old 08-07-2018, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
nonstopdoc1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 752
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 112
I agree with @Kini62 . I am not a fan of Def Techs either but if you liked them after comparing them with 3-4 other brands than go ahead and buy them. BB may not give you the best deal but you can easily return them if you change your mind after setting them at you home and not liking the sound. I would NOT skip on a center channel if your main use is movies or TV. Get LCR of what ever you can afford. With Def Techs, you can actually add sub later if you are not happy with bass from the inbuilt subs. If you go with passive speakers than you will need LCR + Sub to get any decent quality

My Build Thread
HT - Seymour Centerstage XD 2.39:1 133" W| JVC X790R | Denon AVR | QSC DPA 4.2 | ATI AT528NC | Procella P8/P5V | Revel C763L | Rythmik FV15HP x2
Living Room - LG OLED 65" | Yamaha 2060 | Monolith 3x200 | KEF Q900 L/R | Paradigm Millenia CC | Polk Surrounds | Monolith 12" Subs x 2

Last edited by nonstopdoc1; 08-07-2018 at 03:50 PM.
nonstopdoc1 is offline  
post #12 of 43 Old 08-07-2018, 03:51 PM
Member
 
johnny hotsauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chicago Suburbs, IL
Posts: 175
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 85
I'm running a pair of DefTech BP9020's in a 12x11x8 room for my mains (L/R) and they sound fantastic in there and usually don't need to use my subs when listening to music as the BP9020's have enough punch with the powered 8's in 2.0 stereo. If I need/want more bass then I'll just switch over to 2.1 stereo with my dual subs on.

Before the BP9020's, I was using DefTech SM45's bookshelves for my mains (L/R) and had no complaints on those either, great deal for $99/ea and they have a lot of depth once broken in but needed to use a sub(s) with them since 5 1/4's can only go so low. Only reason I switched up to the towers was I got a great deal on the pair with the Atmos modules (impulse buy, LOL) and figured I'd be future proofing if I ever moved them to a bigger room and just moved the SM45's to surround duty.

I don't think towers in your room would be overkill but a good pair of bookshelves with a solid sub would be perfect as well. As for subs, I'm with @Kini62 , the Monolith THX Select 10 would be more than plenty. It's a 10" sub that hits like a 12", great bang for the buck.
RKSKYDANCER likes this.

My small 12'x11'x8' HT room setup:
Sony 55XBR900E, Sony UBP-X800 4K BD, XBoneS, Denon AVR-X4400H, AC Infinity Aircom T10 AVR Fan (front exhaust), 2 DefTech BP9020's Front L/R, 2 DefTech A90's Atmos, DefTech C/L/R 2002 Center, 2 DefTech SM45's Rear Surrounds & 2 SVS SB12-NSD's subs.
johnny hotsauce is offline  
post #13 of 43 Old 08-07-2018, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 12,329
Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6918 Post(s)
Liked: 5208
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehatch View Post
While buying from BB would be convenient, I am not tied to buying from them. In fact, I probably WON'T buy from them as I might be able to get a better deal elsewhere. I have narrowed down my sub to SVS SB1000 or the Monolith 10.
As others have said, the PB1000 would be the best SVS sub for HT at that price, but the Monolith 10" is probably the better sub around $500 in general.

For the $1K price of the BP9020, I would much sooner get the Emotiva T2 or, at $700/pr, the smaller T1. However in a 10 x 10' room your listening distance will probably be 8 feet tops, for which the B1s would be plenty especially since you don't listen loud. The Emotiva C1 center though is what would make all the difference. If you believe in "timbre matching" you could get a pair of the Emotiva E1 for surrounds; if you don't, the JBL B15s from Amazon at $80/pair would be a great way to save a bit more cash.

Another solid choice would be the JBL Studio 230 + 235 center, currently on sale at the JBL website for $550 shipped same as the Emotiva B1/C1 combo, except that JBL provides free return shipping for greater peace of mind.
Lp85253 likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
post #14 of 43 Old 08-08-2018, 03:45 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Worcester, MA
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 19
IMO the only reason a speaker can be too big is aesthetics or cost.

As far as sound goes, I'm a fan of "too big" of a speaker - to my ears, a big floorstanding speaker fills up a room much better with sound than any bookshelf speaker can. I also don't listen loud - I have a 30W amp that I probably never use 10% of. But part of the reason for that is I get such a "complete" sound that I don't need to crank the volume to have fully detailed sound and hear all aspects of my movie/music. (Plus in my case I have found a sub to be totally redundant and unnecessary, I "loaned" it to a friend about 2 years ago and haven't missed it at all. But then again, your speakers and listening preferences might be different.)

Everyone's ears (and eyes and wallet) are different, but to me there is no such thing as "too big" for speakers.
RKSKYDANCER and leecreek like this.
bobc455 is offline  
post #15 of 43 Old 08-08-2018, 05:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northern NJ & Myrtle Beach area, SC
Posts: 2,140
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Liked: 801
To me tower speakers will look over powering in small 10x10 room. Good solid sub like folks recommended here paired w/good bookshelves would fit the bill better in my view. Good luck with your choice!

Primary set-up 5.1.4; Yamaha A2050, Paired w/Parasound P5 & ATI 500NC 2 channel amp
Revel F206 fronts & Revel M16 rears; Outlaw X12 Sub & 4 RSL C34e in-ceilings

Secondary 5.1: Denon S900W, Polk LSiM703/704C, Polk RC80i in-ceiling rears, RSL Speedwoofer 10s
yanks1 is offline  
post #16 of 43 Old 08-08-2018, 06:06 AM
Senior Member
 
theaterofpain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 257
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Wait, what? A media room of such epic proportions deserves 11.4.4 sound - have you learned nothing from being on AVS? Don't listen to anyone here. You just go get yourself some 16s" and place them in each corner so that when you sit in the middle of the spaciousness you will have the boombastic waves travel through your body from all four directions and then reflect off the wall and then back through you ad infinitum. Or you can just... I dunno, grab some $20 headphones.
Alan P likes this.

Last edited by theaterofpain; 08-08-2018 at 07:26 AM.
theaterofpain is offline  
post #17 of 43 Old 08-08-2018, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 18,402
Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8579 Post(s)
Liked: 5779
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehatch View Post
That angled wall might be a little shallower than I depicted, meaning I would have a bit more room, but regardless it sounds like my best option is bookshelves.

Given that, how would (any) bookshelves be with a phantom center? Am I better off waiting/saving to buy LCR all at once? (The answer is probably yes, so revise question to how much better?)
Despite what others have said the DefTec towers are "not" normal tower like say the Elac F5 or Polk Signature S50 as they not only have a woofer firing out one side, they also have a driver firing out the back in addition to the standard drivers on the front.

To believe this does not bring with it special placement issues is just plain silly, especially with a hulking entertainment unit in between them and close walls to the side and rear.

And, keep in mind, the matching center is $400 now but "normal" price is $500 and it has an upward firing bass radiator which would truly suck if placed inside an entertainment unit. That center needs free space above it.

But, it is best buy and if you like the sound bring them home and decide for yourself.

Slim towers are not too much for your room, THOSE towers and matching center, because of their design, are not appropriate for your room.

For $1000 for your LCR you can certainly get 3 excellent speakers for your room...but I'd start with the vendors offering free returns.

The Aperion 4T or 5T towers might interest you. Their center is a 3 way for just $299 which is a great price.

A pair of 4T towers is $598/pair with free returns.

If you like them, keep them and get the center for a total of $897.

Some of the other free return companies I listed have free returns on towers as well.

Me?

For that room?

I'd still not get towers as my current towers, and they are not large with a single 7" main driver, 1" dome tweeter and front port. sounded far better 2 feet from the rear wall and 3 feet from the side walls than they did within a foot of either.

Happy hunting.
Zorba922 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #18 of 43 Old 08-08-2018, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,153
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2963 Post(s)
Liked: 2877
JBL Studio 280 -- on sale
https://www.jbl.com/loudspeakers/STU...urrent#start=1

But I would still aim for the 580 -- on sale
https://www.jbl.com/loudspeakers/STU...urrent#start=1

JBL Studio 235 -- on sale
https://www.jbl.com/loudspeakers/STU...urrent#start=1

Studio 520
https://www.jbl.com/loudspeakers/

However, it you want the Definitive, then go for it -- it is about what floats your boat
BufordTJustice likes this.

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is offline  
post #19 of 43 Old 08-08-2018, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thanks everyone. It is the answer I expected, even if it isn't the one I wanted. Since the Center and Sub are the most important it makes more sense to get them right away rather than run a phantom center and the powered woofers in the 9020s. That with the overkill effect of towers it seems like the best course is to go with LCR bookshelves + Stands + Sub.

I'll do some studying on the QA 3020i, HTD Level 2 or 3, and JBL Studio (the sale is enticing, but my timeline is probably September-November, and I can't count on the sale still being active).
ehatch is offline  
post #20 of 43 Old 08-08-2018, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4,033
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1930 Post(s)
Liked: 1648
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehatch View Post
Thanks everyone. It is the answer I expected, even if it isn't the one I wanted. Since the Center and Sub are the most important it makes more sense to get them right away rather than run a phantom center and the powered woofers in the 9020s. That with the overkill effect of towers it seems like the best course is to go with LCR bookshelves + Stands + Sub.

I'll do some studying on the QA 3020i, HTD Level 2 or 3, and JBL Studio (the sale is enticing, but my timeline is probably September-November, and I can't count on the sale still being active).
HTD is a great place to start .. free returns on your 1st purchase.. and a quality product... the level 3 is very highly thought of....edit: i am not 100% sure they do free returns on towers , i am sure someone will know

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is offline  
post #21 of 43 Old 08-08-2018, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,153
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2963 Post(s)
Liked: 2877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
HTD is a great place to start .. free returns on your 1st purchase.. and a quality product... the level 3 is very highly thought of....edit: i am not 100% sure they do free returns on towers , i am sure someone will know
No free returns on HTD Towers
Lp85253 likes this.

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is offline  
post #22 of 43 Old 08-08-2018, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
drh3b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 3,449
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1868 Post(s)
Liked: 3386
Quote:
Originally Posted by theaterofpain View Post
Wait, what? A media room of such epic proportions deserves 11.4.4 sound - have you learned nothing from being on AVS? Don't listen to anyone here. You just go get yourself some 16s" and place them in each corner so that when you sit in the middle of the spaciousness you will have the boombastic waves travel through your body from all four directions and then reflect off the wall and then back through you ad infinitum. Or you can just... I dunno, grab some $20 headphones.
16's are a little small, buddy.
drh3b is offline  
post #23 of 43 Old 08-08-2018, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
popalock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: McKinney, TX
Posts: 5,353
Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1490 Post(s)
Liked: 2088
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by theaterofpain View Post
Wait, what? A media room of such epic proportions deserves 11.4.4 sound - have you learned nothing from being on AVS? Don't listen to anyone here. You just go get yourself some 16s" and place them in each corner so that when you sit in the middle of the spaciousness you will have the boombastic waves travel through your body from all four directions and then reflect off the wall and then back through you ad infinitum. Or you can just... I dunno, grab some $20 headphones.
OP. I agree with @theaterofpain . Don't let his post count fool you. Solid advice and an overall wealth of knowledge, especially in the realm of acoustics.
popalock is offline  
post #24 of 43 Old 08-08-2018, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RayGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,376
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2593 Post(s)
Liked: 2342
10 x 10 x 10 room? Can you make a different room with different dimensions your theater? That room is going to be a real PITA in getting reasonable bass response without room modes being a huge issue.

As to towers, I wouldn't go that direction, due to the size of the room. With more bass being reproduced by the main speakers, you would need to place the speakers a bit away from the walls (6" isn't going to do it).

So, with those caveats, I would look at getting two small subs to attempt to combat the 10' cubed room modes, and a pair of bookshelf speakers which can be placed fairly close to walls because they will not be reproducing bass. Emotiva BasX-s8 x 2 and bookshelf speakers from Q Acoustics, RSL, Emotiva, or Chane ... None of this is from Best Buy, but any of these would probably well outperform anything you can get from BB for the same money.

Having the freedom to place the subs individually will give you a huge advantage in attempting to overcome that room. If the bass was being reproduced by the mains, the odds are quite high that the frequency response produced would be a boomy mess.
jjackkrash likes this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 08-08-2018 at 12:10 PM.
RayGuy is online now  
post #25 of 43 Old 08-08-2018, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
10 x 10 x 10 room? Can you make a different room with different dimensions your theater? That room is going to be a real PITA in getting reasonable bass response without room modes being a huge issue.

As to towers, I wouldn't go that direction, due to the size of the room. With more bass being reproduced by the main speakers, you would need to place the speakers a bit away from the walls (6" isn't going to do it).

So, with those caveats, I would look at getting two small subs to attempt to combat the 10' cubed room modes, and a pair of bookshelf speakers which can be placed fairly close to walls because they will not be reproducing bass. Emotiva BasX-s8 x 2 and bookshelf speakers from Q Acoustics, RSL, Emotiva, or Chane ... None of this is from Best Buy, but any of these would probably well outperform anything you can get from BB for the same money.

Having the freedom to place the subs individually will give you a huge advantage in attempting to overcome that room. If the bass was being reproduced by the mains, the odds are quite high that the frequency response produced would be a boomy mess.
My other choices were a 10x10x10 room open to the living room (which my wife claimed anyway). Or a 10x10x10 bedroom with a bit more light.

I don't plan on buying from Best Buy, I just went there to get a feel for what I liked, so any of the ID companies are fair game -- I just won't have the advantage of hearing them before buying.
ehatch is offline  
post #26 of 43 Old 08-08-2018, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Kini62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 7,932
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2680 Post(s)
Liked: 2470
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehatch View Post
My other choices were a 10x10x10 room open to the living room (which my wife claimed anyway). Or a 10x10x10 bedroom with a bit more light.

I don't plan on buying from Best Buy, I just went there to get a feel for what I liked, so any of the ID companies are fair game -- I just won't have the advantage of hearing them before buying.
As for the previous post, a pair of 8" subs would less than ideal for HT. You could easily use a pair of good quality 12" subs without issue. A pair of PC2000s would be great and save you some floor space over most conventional box subs.
jjackkrash likes this.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
Kini62 is offline  
post #27 of 43 Old 08-08-2018, 01:57 PM
Member
 
Makav3li's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Depends on the towers, but generally I would say no. It's really a personal choice.
Makav3li is offline  
post #28 of 43 Old 08-08-2018, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jjackkrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,276
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 2328
You are gonna want two independent subs for a cube-shaped room. I'd also look at offerings from Ascend Accoustics and/or Philharmonic Audio for good quality relatively inexpensive bookshelves speakers that have good on-and-off axis measurements.
RayGuy and SeanBWI like this.
jjackkrash is offline  
post #29 of 43 Old 08-08-2018, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: College Station, Texas
Posts: 2,070
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehatch View Post
Thanks everyone. It is the answer I expected, even if it isn't the one I wanted. Since the Center and Sub are the most important it makes more sense to get them right away rather than run a phantom center and the powered woofers in the 9020s. That with the overkill effect of towers it seems like the best course is to go with LCR bookshelves + Stands + Sub.

I'll do some studying on the QA 3020i, HTD Level 2 or 3, and JBL Studio (the sale is enticing, but my timeline is probably September-November, and I can't count on the sale still being active).
I have the JBL Studio 590's and they are amazing even though I do have them to close the the rear wall, they are rear ported. But if you go JBL try and order somewhere OTHER than directly from JBL, so long as you can get the sale price, their order processing is HORRID, took 2 full days to process my transaction, I bought a CAR in less time. But I wouldn't worry about them NOT being on sale, the Studio 580's went on sale for like 2 weeks, and then the 590's went on sale (which is when I got mine $1000 for the pair) so I can almost promise you they will be back on sale again. As far as tower vs bookshelf, most times unless you do a lot of 2 channel music listening, which you said you don't towers are overkill. For the same amount of money you can get better bookshelf speakers. My 590's retail at $1000 each, for that kind of money in a bookshelf speaker you can go WILD, and for home theater more often than not bookshelf speakers are more than enough when paid with a good sub, I just happen to prefer the look of towers.
Molon_Labe likes this.
liffie420 is offline  
post #30 of 43 Old 08-17-2018, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Update:
I realized that this month (not next month) I get the "extra" paycheck, so I moved my timeline up. After researching (here and elsewhere) the 10 most commonly recommended bookshelf speakers here, I am down to two. My first choice since it was 25% off was the RBH Impression series. I almost stopped there, but other than the discount, I really couldn't decide between the RBH and the Ascend Acoustics CBM 170.

The R-5s are sitting in my room right now waiting to be unboxed -- they arrived in ~24 hours, so +1 for RBH. I ordered the CBM170s last night, and I saw that hey, there is a discount on the Rythmik LV12R subwoofer, so I pulled the trigger on that too. I expect the Ascends next week.

This weekend, I'll spend some time unboxing and wiring and general set up of everything. Some general impressions next weekend, then A/B testing Labor Day weekend. If I love them both I'll keep them both using one set as surrounds.
l0nestar8 and gajCA like this.
ehatch is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off