BIC FH6-LCR Measurements - Testing - Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes
  • 5 Post By DaBateman
  • 1 Post By Elihawk
  • 3 Post By DaBateman
  • 1 Post By Dennis Murphy
  • 1 Post By Dennis Murphy

post #1 of 18 Old 08-20-2018, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 517
BIC FH6-LCR Measurements - Testing - Review

So me and lots of other users here at AVS has concluded that the BIC FH6-LCR is a terrific center channel primarily for its MSRP at $100. It’s hard to find something much better for the same price, I believe at $150 the Polk S30 is the only comparison as far as sub $200 center channels.

Me & @Zorba922 have concluded throughout many threads it’s specs are not anywhere near what the manufacturer list which from the results of this testing is understated horribly.

Specs
Spoiler!

I performed this testing within half space @ 1m. Below is a demonstration between spaces.

I found that the -3dB point was actually around 168Hz with the -6dB point at 161Hz. The treble is very peaky w/ a sharp roll off w/o EQ starting at ~15kHz. Midbass from 500Hz to 3kHz is severely lacking without EQ. Impedance matches closely with 8ohms w/ a rise around 100Hz. Polarity was measured to be positive.

Sensitivity was measured approximately at ~86dB rather than the 95dB listed on its specs.
Edit: Dennis Murphy was kind enough to chime in w/ a informative post regarding sensitivity being inaccurate at anything less than an anechoic response which should indicate a sensitivity rating of ~90dB.

Unfortunately BIC doesn’t correlate their posted specs with real world output. They make wonderful budget products but, as this proves here, you get what you pay for in this instance. Also the FR makes for a horrendous crossover integration. I have mine set to 160Hz as that’s where my sub starts to roll off.

BIC’s specs — -3dB 40Hz; 23kHz; 8ohm, 95dB sensitivity
My testing — -3dB 168Hz; 15kHz; 8ohm; 86dB sensitivity

I still conclude that for $100 this center has awesome dynamics & clarity for HT use only & I’d still strongly recommend it to any budget seeking first time potential customer.

Next I will be posting the Polk S15.
18Hurts, gajCA, smithsabom and 2 others like this.

| Eqmt | Vizio 4K M50-E1 | Yamaha RX-V681 | iNUKE 3kdsp x2 | Emotiva BasX A-100 | miniDSP UMIK-1 | Monolith M1060 | Monolith USB DAC |
| Sub | Trilithon | Stonehenge Variant Subwoofer - 18” - 9ft³ - 19Hz | Marty | Microcube 390HO - 22Hz | Monolith THX Ultra 12 | Monolith THX Select 10 |
| Spkrs | HSU CCB8 x3 | SVS Prime Elevation x2 | Polk S15 |

Last edited by DaBateman; 08-20-2018 at 09:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-20-2018, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8585 Post(s)
Liked: 5784
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBateman View Post
Next I will be posting the Polk S15.
Holy smokes, how do they get that little output from relatively large drivers!

But above the -3db point the measurements are better than I expected.

Geoff A. J., California
post #3 of 18 Old 08-20-2018, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Holy smokes, how do they get that little output from relatively large drivers!

But above the -3db point the measurements are better than I expected.
Lol you tell me. I always assumed it would be around 90-100Hz but, it’s basically nonexistent until 150Hz.

Having two 6.5” drivers in a sealed enclosure you would think it’d be getting better bass response. Although I agree for $100 above the -3dB it did measure quite well.

| Eqmt | Vizio 4K M50-E1 | Yamaha RX-V681 | iNUKE 3kdsp x2 | Emotiva BasX A-100 | miniDSP UMIK-1 | Monolith M1060 | Monolith USB DAC |
| Sub | Trilithon | Stonehenge Variant Subwoofer - 18” - 9ft³ - 19Hz | Marty | Microcube 390HO - 22Hz | Monolith THX Ultra 12 | Monolith THX Select 10 |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 08-20-2018, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6922 Post(s)
Liked: 5213
Quote:
BIC’s specs — -3dB 40Hz; 23kHz; 8ohm, 95dB sensitivity
My testing — -3dB 168Hz; 15kHz; 8ohm; 86dB sensitivity
OMG, 168Hz???

I was expecting something around 100Hz, but that is insane.

I don't remember ever doing any quick-and-dirty test tones with an SPL meter when I had the BIC, though...now I kinda wish I had.

Am also very surprised that sensitivity is so low, because I always had to set the center trim at like -6 or more when I was running it with my Wharfedales which are listed as 86db sensitive.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #5 of 18 Old 08-20-2018, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2574 Post(s)
Liked: 1196
It seems impossible for Bic to manage that with dual 6.5" drivers. That is cube-speaker range... actually some of the larger cubes may be able to beat that.

I wonder if it's a design flaw, or they figured they'd go for the best clarity possible by removing any semblance of bass whatsoever?
post #6 of 18 Old 08-20-2018, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1933 Post(s)
Liked: 1648
my roomate uses the fh6-lcr.. i notice the top end is prominent .. but it doesn't sound as bad to me as the graph would indicate.. there are a LOT of peaks in not so good spots on the graph.. of course it may be room reflections too.. i am anxious to see the s15 graph... thanks for posting...

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
post #7 of 18 Old 08-20-2018, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2964 Post(s)
Liked: 2877
Someone else measured them and there was an 8 db peak in the mids and peaky in the treble with 5 db peaks -- but the bass was better than what was shown here, but still not good -- regardless, they would not be for me and I know there are some better offerings, if one knows how to fish -- for one who owns and enjoys the Bic, continue to enjoy the adventure.

----------------
Who AM I

Last edited by zieglj01; 08-20-2018 at 03:05 PM.
post #8 of 18 Old 08-20-2018, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2964 Post(s)
Liked: 2877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe Doe View Post

I wonder if it's a design flaw, or they figured they'd go for the best clarity possible by removing any semblance of bass whatsoever?
Me too -- bass should cut off around 90 hz, which is still poor for those size drivers -- but the box is sealed and only 6-1/8" deep

----------------
Who AM I

Last edited by zieglj01; 08-20-2018 at 03:03 PM.
post #9 of 18 Old 08-20-2018, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1893 Post(s)
Liked: 2017
I have yet to hear a Bic speaker that was audibly tolerable for more than a few minutes...but then again, Bic ain't exactly known for high end audio!
Lp85253 likes this.

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
post #10 of 18 Old 08-20-2018, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
OMG, 168Hz???

I was expecting something around 100Hz, but that is insane.

I don't remember ever doing any quick-and-dirty test tones with an SPL meter when I had the BIC, though...now I kinda wish I had.

Am also very surprised that sensitivity is so low, because I always had to set the center trim at like -6 or more when I was running it with my Wharfedales which are listed as 86db sensitive.
Yeah I measured multiple times & even moved the microphone inches in each direction to make sure it wasn’t an anomaly. I also agree the sensitivity may be off because I believe I had mine set to -5 in my trim.

I admit I’m not very knowledgeable about reading the sensitivity specs, I averaged what was shown between half space & free air. You can see the graph below

Quote:
It seems impossible for Bic to manage that with dual 6.5" drivers. That is cube-speaker range... actually some of the larger cubes may be able to beat that.

I agree, it is very odd & doesn’t make sense logically from everything we have learned throughout various examples of other speaker/speaker design. You can see above I took multiple measurements to assure it wasn’t an anomaly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
my roomate uses the fh6-lcr.. i notice the top end is prominent .. but it doesn't sound as bad to me as the graph would indicate.. there are a LOT of peaks in not so good spots on the graph.. of course it may be room reflections too.. i am anxious to see the s15 graph... thanks for posting...
Yes the FH6LCR’s sound much better than indicated above. The treble in this particular speaker seems to be universally agreed upon as spikey. Although I admit around 1-2k my room has a 3-4dB dip so that may be ignored.

Very possible there was some reflections from the room. I’ve actually built some frames today for some absorption panels so I should have them up tomorrow, I may retest it to see if there’s any drastic changes.

I will have the S15 graphs up tomorrow maybe around noon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
Someone else measured them and there was an 8 db peak in the mids and peaky in the treble with 5 db peaks -- but the bass was better than what was shown here, but still not good -- regardless, they would not be for me and I know there are some better offerings, if one knows how to fish -- for one who owns and enjoys the Bic, continue to enjoy the adventure.
As I said above my room has a 3-4dB dip around 1-2kHz so that portion may be ignored. BIC a great budget brand seems to rather enjoy skewing their specs. I also agree & disagree on this speaker/BIC. Although I recommended for a first time/newb HT enthusiast on a budget it is still a great speaker for $100. It does have good clarity with its odd horn over a dome tweeter style. Also male voices doesn’t seem to suffer incredibly.
Lp85253, Doe Doe and Zorba922 like this.

post #11 of 18 Old 08-20-2018, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2574 Post(s)
Liked: 1196
Quote:
It does have good clarity with its odd horn over a dome tweeter style. Also male voices doesn’t seem to suffer incredibly.
With those specs, I'd think a lot of male voices would end up coming out of the subwoofer.

I wonder how it compares to its soft dome brother, DV-62CLRS. I had that one briefly (or it was the 5" version, I forget) and although I guess it was passable, the tweeter seemed kind of mushy to me. Now I wish I tested bass on it.... seemed better than 168 though, I think I would remember if it was anywhere near that bad.
post #12 of 18 Old 08-20-2018, 08:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked: 1491
[QUOTE=DaBateman;56669568]So me and lots of other users here at AVS has concluded that the BIC FH6-LCR is a terrific center channel primarily for its MSRP at $100. It’s hard to find something much better for the same price, I believe at $150 the Polk S30 is the only comparison as far as sub $200 center channels.
QUOTE]

I'm confused. Did you perform these tests? I take it they're all room measurements and not anechoic? I measured the anechoic response of the BIC and got a similar but even peakier response. However, the sensitivity was at least 90 dB, although there were so many peaks it was a little hard to decide how to spec the sensitivity precisely.
Lp85253 likes this.
post #13 of 18 Old 08-20-2018, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
With those specs, I'd think a lot of male voices would end up coming out of the subwoofer.

I wonder how it compares to its soft dome brother, DV-62CLRS. I had that one briefly (or it was the 5" version, I forget) and although I guess it was passable, the tweeter seemed kind of mushy to me. Now I wish I tested bass on it.... seemed better than 168 though, I think I would remember if it was anywhere near that bad.
That’s not entirely false. While watching cable for example certain commercials will sound like the sub is the only speaker hooked up but, I found that to be more rare than common.

Also you don’t see many DV owners, I looked at it while searching before I found the FH6, which I prefer the looks of. I haven’t heard any of that series so I can’t comment on how they’d compare.

[quote=Dennis Murphy;56672354]
Quote:
So me and lots of other users here at AVS has concluded that the BIC FH6-LCR is a terrific center channel primarily for its MSRP at $100. It’s hard to find something much better for the same price, I believe at $150 the Polk S30 is the only comparison as far as sub $200 center channels.
QUOTE]

I'm confused. Did you perform these tests? I take it they're all room measurements and not anechoic? I measured the anechoic response of the BIC and got a similar but even peakier response. However, the sensitivity was at least 90 dB, although there were so many peaks it was a little hard to decide how to spec the sensitivity precisely.
Yes all in room measurements at half space 1m. I tried to keep all variables either stated above or compensate ie showing both measurements w/ & w/o AutoEQ.

I admit I’m no expert as it’s just one of my hobbies rather than my job, you lucky dog.

Also with the sensitivity, I stated above I’m not entirely how to properly read the sensitivity ratings so I averaged what was measured.

How did it perform in the lower frequencies w/ the anechoic response?

post #14 of 18 Old 08-20-2018, 09:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

[quote=DaBateman;56672518]That’s not entirely false. While watching cable for example certain commercials will sound like the sub is the only speaker hooked up but, I found that to be more rare than common.

Also you don’t see many DV owners, I looked at it while searching before I found the FH6, which I prefer the looks of. I haven’t heard any of that series so I can’t comment on how they’d compare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

Yes all in room measurements at half space 1m. I tried to keep all variables either stated above or compensate ie showing both measurements w/ & w/o AutoEQ.

I admit I’m no expert as it’s just one of my hobbies rather than my job, you lucky dog.

Also with the sensitivity, I stated above I’m not entirely how to properly read the sensitivity ratings so I averaged what was measured.

How did it perform in the lower frequencies w/ the anechoic response?
I haven't had much experience with room measurements using software like yours. But The sensitivity spec is based on anechoic measurements. I don't think you can expect to replicate that spec with a room measurement. The BIC was waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more sensitive than any of my speakers, which generally clock in around 85 dB. As for bass, I measured a system tuning frequency of 130 Hz, which would mean the speaker is starting to roll off at 12 dB per octave at that point. I didn't try to confirm that by making a nearfield woofer measurement.
post #15 of 18 Old 08-20-2018, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

[quote=Dennis Murphy;56672644]
Quote:
That’s not entirely false. While watching cable for example certain commercials will sound like the sub is the only speaker hooked up but, I found that to be more rare than common.

I haven't had much experience with room measurements using software like yours. But The sensitivity spec is based on anechoic measurements. I don't think you can expect to replicate that spec with a room measurement. The BIC was waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more sensitive than any of my speakers, which generally clock in around 85 dB. As for bass, I measured a system tuning frequency of 130 Hz, which would mean the speaker is starting to roll off at 12 dB per octave at that point. I didn't try to confirm that by making a nearfield woofer measurement.
Okay that makes more sense looking back at the graph. I’ll edit my original post to correct that, thanks for the clarification.

That’s interesting comparing the tuning. You would assume comparing in room to anechoic that it would match or even be a little lower from boundary and/or room gain rather than increasing 30Hz. I’ve learned recently in audio that it’s a fluid subject & more so comparing what is & what should be.

Irrelevant to this thread but, let me ask you another question..on my Microcube I have a 22Hz HPF 12dB butterworth & 200Hz LPF 24dB butterworth. Is there a better LPF octave that would result in a smoother crossover integration? I had to add 2ms to my subs distance ontop of YPAO which then resulted in the impulse measurements being out of line w/ my mains.

post #16 of 18 Old 08-21-2018, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

[quote=DaBateman;56672690]
Quote:
Okay that makes more sense looking back at the graph. I’ll edit my original post to correct that, thanks for the clarification.

That’s interesting comparing the tuning. You would assume comparing in room to anechoic that it would match or even be a little lower from boundary and/or room gain rather than increasing 30Hz. I’ve learned recently in audio that it’s a fluid subject & more so comparing what is & what should be.

Irrelevant to this thread but, let me ask you another question..on my Microcube I have a 22Hz HPF 12dB butterworth & 200Hz LPF 24dB butterworth. Is there a better LPF octave that would result in a smoother crossover integration? I had to add 2ms to my subs distance ontop of YPAO which then resulted in the impulse measurements being out of line w/ my mains.
The system tuning is set by the box volume and driver parameters. If you're taking an impedance measurement to find the tuning point, it won't be affected by where the speaker is in the room. It's completely determined by the speaker design.
DaBateman likes this.
post #17 of 18 Old 08-21-2018, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1893 Post(s)
Liked: 2017
[quote=Dennis Murphy;56674714]
Quote:

The system tuning is set by the box volume and driver parameters. If you're taking an impedance measurement to find the tuning point, it won't be affected by where the speaker is in the room. It's completely determined by the speaker design.
So Dennis...do you think the "not so flat" measurements and poor bass response are cabinet issues, crossover issue, a combination or other?

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
post #18 of 18 Old 08-21-2018, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

[quote=Elihawk;56674890]
Quote:

So Dennis...do you think the "not so flat" measurements and poor bass response are cabinet issues, crossover issue, a combination or other?
I would rather not comment further on the BIC, since it competes with my center channel. My main point in posting was to try and clarify the sensitivity issue, since that is definitely a strong point of the design, and explains in part some of the compromises it took to achieve that high sensitivity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Bic America , bic fh6-lcr , bic formula , fh6lcr

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page