Newbie: three identical centers (3 x klipsch rp-400c) as LCR? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes
  • 2 Post By Kini62
  • 1 Post By crtlove
  • 1 Post By craig john
  • 2 Post By crtlove
  • 3 Post By craig john
  • 1 Post By Zorba922
  • 2 Post By craig john

post #1 of 25 Old 08-29-2018, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Newbie: three identical centers (3 x klipsch rp-400c) as LCR?

Title says it all, how terrible of an idea is it to use 3 center speakers for an “all below the tv” LCR? (the tv is a big 75” sitting on a 55” wide table, with its default feet it’s raised only a mere 2.3” from the table, I’m going to raise it to about 6” using a thirs party VESA foot stand, so I can put shallow LCR horizontal speakers below it)

At 5.6” H x 16” W, the newly released klipsch rp-400c is probably the most compact klipsch reference centers ever, making 3 of them perfect for this kind of need, at lest in terms of dimensions...with previous models I was a bit afraid to have not enough width on the table or to need to raise the tv at neck-straining heights...but now that the rp-400c is almost out, it feels I can have my cake and eat it...on paper...

Rest of the setup is a 5.1.4 with bookshelf surrounds/heights and a subwoofer (may upgrade to dual sub in the future).

Last edited by crtlove; 08-29-2018 at 04:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 08-29-2018, 05:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2684 Post(s)
Liked: 2473
Quote:
Originally Posted by crtlove View Post
Title says it all, how terrible of an idea is it to use 3 center speakers for an “all below the tv” LCR? (the tv is a big 75” sitting on a 55” wide table, with its default feet it’s raised only a mere 2.3” from the table, I’m going to raise it to about 6” using a thirs party VESA foot stand, so I can put shallow LCR horizontal speakers below it)

At 5.6” H x 16” W, the newly released klipsch rp-400c is probably the most compact klipsch reference centers ever, making 3 of them perfect for this kind of need, at lest in terms of dimensions...with previous models I was a bit afraid to have not enough width on the table or to need to raise the tv at neck-straining heights...but now that the rp-400c is almost out, it feels I can have my cake and eat it...on paper...

Rest of the setup is a 5.1.4 with bookshelf surrounds/heights and a subwoofer (may upgrade to dual sub in the future).
With 3 horizontal speakers pretty much end to end you're not going to get any stereo separation. But if it's just for HT and you can't have towers or bookshelf speakers, why not give it a shot. It should work just fine. Just buy from someplace that has easy returns in case you don't like it.
vzphoneman and crtlove like this.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #3 of 25 Old 08-30-2018, 02:24 AM - Thread Starter

Well I’ll certainly give it a shot if there are no catastrophic consequences...it would be my way to have a “good enough” LCR (while not super in terms of stereo separation, because it will look almost like a 48” wide soundbar) with zero cost in terms of floor space (the area needs to be fully walkable and there are cabinet doors to be opened)...the table is exactly 140cm wide or a hair more than 55”... so I’m going to space them 1” from any border and 2.5” gaps between L-C-R...pretty close but as said “free” in terms of floor space...set it and forget it...I need it for non-audiophile home theater...need to start saving for 3 x rp-400c for when they actually become available in mainland Europe...any other klipsch center before this model I wouldn’t be able to put gaps between them and keep them within the table width...this is the right center at the right time for my particular need...can’t wait to hear those reference tweeters..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 08-30-2018, 06:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked: 1979
You do what you have to do!

In the world of speaker design, things get more complicated with 2-way horizontal centers--the classic MTM center (mid-tweeter-mid) when it comes down to beaming/lobing and assorted nastiness. In short, it is all about the center-to-center distance of the outside mids in reference to the crossover point. Basically, to minimize lobing, you want the crossover point to the tweeter to be a low as possible and the midwoofers to be as close as possible to each other.

Looking at the Klipsch, they cross the tweeter over at 1,500 Hz which is (generally) an octave lower than typical 2-ways which usually crossover at 3,000 Hz--this is a GOOD thing. Those 4 inch midwoofers are also quite small so that brings them in closer together....another good thing. The length of a complete soundwave at 1,500 Hz is 9 inches (22.9 cm) and the Klipsch seem to have that distance as the center-to-center distance between the midwoofers.

Going back to the rules, the optimal center-to-center distance between midwoofers would be 1/4 of the distance at the crossover point or around 2.25 inches (5.6 cm) which won't happen. Since the math don't stack up, then you go with real world use--does it matter? Well, yes and no--as the drivers get farther apart it will create lobes and such nastiness but only minor issues. In reality, for most people as long as it don't go past one full wavelength (for 1,500 Hz that is 9.04 inches or 22.96 cm) you should be in there.

I know this is AVS and it is preached that audio should be the number one focus of your life, your room and your reality--but the fun of it is to see how far you can let reality and life in without seriously degrading sound quality. I've learned that when you have people living with you, they tend to not think a room full of boxes is a good thing--far from it. Basically, you want your system to look like a soundbar but have far better performance and adjustability, that is a good thing but rules still apply.

Klipsch also makes a center with four 4" midwoofers and the same tweeter/horn combo crossed at 1,500 Hz. It is "2.5 way" or the outer midwoofers get rolled off at 500 Hz to prevent lobing and let the inner two 4" drivers operate exclusively as midranges. This gives more surface area for the bass frequencies without messing up the mids--good design. Would the 2.5 way horizontal center be a better design than the 2 way? Yes, with twice the surface area the bass region would have lower distortion and higher efficiency--the point of the design.

Back to reality, if you can--and width is your friend to seperate the LCR--I'd seriously look at the 2.5 way as your center and the 2 ways as the left/right if you can spare the space. This will make the system wider to give better seperation, will boost center channel clarity and efficiency for the critical center movie vocal tracks and match aesthetically the left/right speakers for the win.

The easy answer is to use the same speakers and to not use horizontal MTMs--don't forget to use four subwoofers, add acoustic panels and bolt large speakers for your surrounds in the exact locations Dolby specifies--very easy answer! However, when you can't do it perfectly to spec--that is where the hobby becomes more entertaining and educational. For me, I'm far more impressed to hear great sound in a living room than great sound in a fully treated sound room only area. Along the lines of car analogies, any idiot can buy a 10 second in the quarter mile car off a car lot...just sign the paperwork. I'm far more impressed when I see a 10 second Mazda Miata daily driver that looks normal.

In summation, there are reasons why you don't use horizontal MTM speakers--I'd be the first to bring that up. If it is that design or nothing...or something like a Bose jewel cube--then the Klipsch MTM crossing 4" midwoofers at 1,500 Hz would be a much better design. If you can, run the 2.5 way version as your center to increase clarity and give a wider splay to your left/right. It won't be perfect but NO audio system that is not installed in a custom built sound room with full acoustic treatments would be perfect--and it still won't be perfect! If anyone ever states they have a "no compromise" system--that means they don't understand audio enough to know where the compromises are.

To be upfront, I don't own any Klipsch speakers, have not heard their center channels and don't use MTMs in my system. I do admire them for trying to get the design flaws smoothed out so my advice is "on paper" only. Good luck with your build, may you delight in the sound quality and won't feel the need for endless upgrade cycles. Good luck!

Last edited by 18Hurts; 08-30-2018 at 06:11 AM.
post #5 of 25 Old 08-30-2018, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Lots of intresting observations and explanation, thanks.

Yes, sometimes “working with what you have” makes the challenge more interesting.

“What I have” in this is case is a living room and I’m trying to keep the speakers unobtrusive.

I checked out the “2.5 way” model rp-404c and actually I could make it work (2 x rp-400c for L/R and 1 x rp-404c for C) if I make peace with the fact that the L/R will trip over the table edge 2-3” on each side. The 75” tv already trips over the table edge anyway. (imagine if companies started selling this kind of LCR horizontal setup in one piece like a glorified soundbar but actually a passive LCR with 3 inputs and all...)

The VESA tv stand I ordered to raise the tv has a thick 10mm glass base that gets in the way of the speakers so I should also arrange speaker feet or pads to overcome that and put the 3 speakers level (or even slitghly tilted upward)...

Thanks for the tips, appreciated.
18Hurts likes this.
post #6 of 25 Old 08-30-2018, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked: 1439
Quote:
(imagine if companies started selling this kind of LCR horizontal setup in one piece like a glorified soundbar but actually a passive LCR with 3 inputs and all...)

Can be custom made to any length you desire.

https://www.triadspeakers.com/produc...ni-lcr-3-0-se/

They have a number of other similar models also at various pricepoints.

Craig
ccotenj likes this.

Lombardi said it:
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

Last edited by craig john; 08-30-2018 at 10:45 AM.
post #7 of 25 Old 08-30-2018, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1886 Post(s)
Liked: 3423
Don't know if this is appropriate to your situation, or if Atlantic Technology is even available in the EU...
https://shop.atlantictechnology.com/product/31hsb/
This is similar to what Craig was showing you:
https://shop.atlantictechnology.com/product/fs5/

Edit:
They are available in the EU.
https://shop.atlantictechnology.com/...ic-technology/

Last edited by drh3b; 08-30-2018 at 11:28 AM.
post #8 of 25 Old 08-30-2018, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked: 5221
Quote:

At 5.6” H x 16” W, the newly released klipsch rp-400c is probably the most compact klipsch reference centers ever, making 3 of them perfect for this kind of need, at lest in terms of dimensions...with previous models I was a bit afraid to have not enough width on the table or to need to raise the tv at neck-straining heights...but now that the rp-400c is almost out, it feels I can have my cake and eat it...on paper....
What is the exact maximum height that you'd have to work with?

Being sold at BB means you can easily return the RP-400C if you don't like them, I was just wondering if there might be better options available around the same $300 price range, utilizing bigger woofers and possibly a 3 way design instead.

EDIT: oops, just noticed you're in the EU, so scratch the Best Buy comment. I'll amend my remarks: if the RP400C is the best available horizontal center that fits your cabinet, sure why not. Especially if you find a store that has a decent return policy.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #9 of 25 Old 08-31-2018, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all for the great suggestions.

Craig, wow, so they do exist, goes to show how little I know. As a side effect, their mere existence also reassures me about the feasibility of an all horizontal (be it “fused” or “detached”) LCR: if reputable companies are doing it in soundbar form, it can’t be that big of a sin for me to do it “detached” (I suppose I can go a little more “bona fide” in terms of speakers choice by going “detached” vs LCR soundbar? If I go by that Klipsch marketing that makes those “1” Titanium LTS Vented Tweeter with Hybrid Tractrix® Horn” sound like they’re the second coming..)

drh3b, nice, I like that it has some depth to it and 4” woofers like the Klipsch models I’m considering.

Zorba922, I still have to determine the exact height I have because I still have to install the third party VESA tv stand (which has discrete steps, so I’ll have to ballpark the height I need, and then test for a few days if the 75” tv feels too high to look at when sitting/laying/reclining), probably I’ll start with 18cm/7” (with its default feet, the tv sits at 6cm from the table surface, so I’m adding +12cm to my current viewing height, at a 4m distance) to leave the door open for medium-sized centers with 5.25”’woofers like the RP-500c (3 of those would barely trip over the side edges of the table...like 1” on each side...still feels cringey/OCD-triggering to be honest, that’s why I may just go with 3 x RP-400C in the end..). Yes, no-question-asked returns aren’t as common (on both the vendor and customer side) here, fortunately there’s Amazon to the rescue, although I don’t feel I’m in the position of competently “not liking” what I hear when it comes to 3 supposedly “reference” speakers like the RP-400c, so I’ll probably be fine and not need returns. Not sure what’s comparable in this price range, I’m going a bit by the “bells and whistles” of Klipsch marketing...

Now off to figuring out how to mount the monster “suitable for up to 80” tv” VESA stand...
Zorba922 and drh3b like this.
post #10 of 25 Old 09-01-2018, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Thanks all for the great suggestions.

Craig, wow, so they do exist, goes to show how little I know. As a side effect, their mere existence also reassures me about the feasibility of an all horizontal (be it “fused” or “detached”) LCR: if reputable companies are doing it in soundbar form, it can’t be that big of a sin for me to do it “detached” (I suppose I can go a little more “bona fide” in terms of speakers choice by going “detached” vs LCR soundbar? If I go by that Klipsch marketing that makes those “1” Titanium LTS Vented Tweeter with Hybrid Tractrix® Horn” sound like they’re the second coming..)
Please note that the L and R speakers in that soundbar are MMT's not MTM's. Placing the 2 mid-woofers adjacent to each other allows them to couple and propagate as a single wave across their entire passband. With an MTM arrangement, (as in the CC speaker above), the mid-woofers are separated by the tweeters. This means they will only couple up to the point that the distance between the centers of the drivers is less than 1/4 wavelength. Above that point up to the crossover to the tweeter, there will be off-axis interference called lobing. With the MTM's being horizontal, this means the interference will be in the horizontal plane.

To simplify, if you use 3 MTM horizontal speakers, you'll want to toe-in the L/R's toward the primary LP to avoid off-axis lobing. However, every other listening position will, by definition, be off-axis of at least 2 of the 3 speakers, and will have some off-axis interference response and lobing. Instead, I would be looking for horizontal speakers with the mid-woofers immediately adjacent to each other to minimize the lobing, something like this:

https://shop.atlantictechnology.com/product/4400-c/
(These can be found for a lot less than the advertised price on the AT website. In fact the AVS store carries them and they provide a significant discount.)

Another alternative is a 3-way CC with the Mid and tweeter stacked in the middle of the cainet and the woofers deployed on either side. This allows a low enough crossover between the woofers and mids to reduce or eliminate the lobing, something like this:

(I am not recommending any of these speakers, per se, merely using them as examples of better speaker designs than MTM's, which for your application is beneficial.)

Craig
18Hurts, crtlove and ccotenj like this.

Lombardi said it:
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

Last edited by craig john; 09-01-2018 at 02:08 PM.
post #11 of 25 Old 09-01-2018, 09:23 AM

@crtlove

As an addendum to craigjohn's helpful post above, one very good 3-way horizontal center that you might want to consider, if your cabinet can fit its height, is this:
https://emotiva.com/collections/loud...ts/airmotiv-c1

Even though Emotiva is based in the US, they do ship overseas---you'll just need to call/email them directly, tell them your location, and they'll provide a quote that includes both shipping and customs/duties. Considering how crazy speaker prices are in the EU, even with shipping and taxes you may find the C1s to be reasonably priced. All assuming that it will fit in your cabinet of course...
crtlove likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #12 of 25 Old 09-03-2018, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you guys, you provided me with 2 interesting options for 2 possible budget tiers. I’ve looked into importing, the Emotiva are one click away on Amazon US with zero hassle, and 2 out of 3 of the official online US shops featured on the AT site do international shipping routinely.

But more importantly you laid in front of me the issues at play, the compromises and the possible solutions. (I read a long interesting 2008 post by Craig on the subject of what’s “ideal”, in the meantime). I know now that, to the very least, I should look for centers with “nested” MTM like the AT, or a 3-way.

Along the way I got curious about “ribbon” tweeters as featured in the Emotiva Airmotiv line, and wondered if they do allow to keep the height of speakers down. The Emotiva B1 is only 27.3cm tall, compared to 31.8cm of a Klipsch R-15M. I may be wrong, but it may very well be one of the shortest bookshelf speaker with a 5.25” woofer. (I realized I probably don’t wanna settle for 4” woofers, and on the other hand it’s not feasible to get woofers above 5.25” even if I go full horizontal) So the B1 being such a short speaker with a 5.25” woofer gives me a bit more “courage” in experimenting with the tv height (basically test if raising the tv to 28cm above the table causes any discomfort). So with 3 B1s (by the way I will have to buy 2 pairs I guess..) I could upgrade to a semi-ideal setup of 3 standing speakers at the same height...and the tweeters would be at hip level instead of knee level...still far from ideal but better...can’t wait...different height and different timbre and different woofer size in my current setup are bothering me greatly...other speakers in the 5.1.4 system will still be mismatched (heights and surrounds have 6.3” woofers) but at least I’ll have matched LCR speakers...

(I guess “laying speakers on the side?”, “using 3 CCs as LCR?” and “what’s the shortest viable bookshelf speaker” are 3 faces of the same journey...)

The first step now is raising the tv to 28cm. (by the way the VESA stand is the “Fitueyes TT107003GB” for TVs up to 80”, if anyone is wondering)
Thanks again.
post #13 of 25 Old 09-03-2018, 10:55 AM

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8592 Post(s)
Liked: 5791
Quote:
Thank you guys, you provided me with 2 interesting options for 2 possible budget tiers. I’ve looked into importing, the Emotiva are one click away on Amazon US with zero hassle, and 2 out of 3 of the official online US shops featured on the AT site do international shipping routinely.

But more importantly you laid in front of me the issues at play, the compromises and the possible solutions. (I read a long interesting 2008 post by Craig on the subject of what’s “ideal”, in the meantime). I know now that, to the very least, I should look for centers with “nested” MTM like the AT, or a 3-way.

Along the way I got curious about “ribbon” tweeters as featured in the Emotiva Airmotiv line, and wondered if they do allow to keep the height of speakers down. The Emotiva B1 is only 27.3cm tall, compared to 31.8cm of a Klipsch R-15M. I may be wrong, but it may very well be one of the shortest bookshelf speaker with a 5.25” woofer. (I realized I probably don’t wanna settle for 4” woofers, and on the other hand it’s not feasible to get woofers above 5.25” even if I go full horizontal) So the B1 being such a short speaker with a 5.25” woofer gives me a bit more “courage” in experimenting with the tv height (basically test if raising the tv to 28cm above the table causes any discomfort). So with 3 B1s (by the way I will have to buy 2 pairs I guess..) I could upgrade to a semi-ideal setup of 3 standing speakers at the same height...and the tweeters would be at hip level instead of knee level...still far from ideal but better...can’t wait...different height and different timbre and different woofer size in my current setup are bothering me greatly...other speakers in the 5.1.4 system will still be mismatched (heights and surrounds have 6.3” woofers) but at least I’ll have matched LCR speakers...

(I guess “laying speakers on the side?”, “using 3 CCs as LCR?” and “what’s the shortest viable bookshelf speaker” are 3 faces of the same journey...)

The first step now is raising the tv to 28cm. (by the way the VESA stand is the “Fitueyes TT107003GB” for TVs up to 80”, if anyone is wondering)
Thanks again.
The only other decent bookshelfs I can find that are shorter are these.

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/usa/e...speakers/sx-50

https://www.qacoustics.com/3020-book...air-37070.html

Geoff A. J., California
post #14 of 25 Old 09-03-2018, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
(I read a long interesting 2008 post by Craig on the subject of what’s “ideal”, in the meantime). I know now that, to the very least, I should look for centers with “nested” MTM like the AT, or a 3-way.
Sounds like something I would say!

I recently set up this system for a friend:

I took the pic before I was finished. I had to add the BluRay player and CATV box in the equipment rack.

That is 3 JBL LSR 305's. There are 2 more in the surround positions and dual Monoprice 10" subs. I was shocked at how high above the price point this system hit. My friend is ecstatic with the result.

https://www.jbl.com/3-series-mkii-st...BoCtA8QAvD_BwE

They're "powered", so you don't need amps for them, but you do need electrical outlets near each speaker.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_...xoCEfYQAvD_BwE

Craig

Lombardi said it:

My System

Last edited by craig john; 09-03-2018 at 12:05 PM.
post #15 of 25 Old 09-03-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

I took the pic before I was finished. I had to add the BluRay player and CATV box in the equipment rack.

That is 3 JBL LSR 305's. There are 2 more in the surround positions and dual Monoprice 10" subs. I was shocked at how high above the price point this system hit. My friend is ecstatic with the result.

They're "powered", so you don't need amps for them, but you do need electrical outlets near each speaker.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_...xoCEfYQAvD_BwE

Craig
Did you use an OPPO or similar as the processor?

Geoff A. J., California
post #16 of 25 Old 09-03-2018, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2132 Post(s)
Liked: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

(snip)

(snip)

(snip)

Craig
That's a horse of a very different color. Thanks for posting.
post #17 of 25 Old 09-03-2018, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 677
Gorgeous @craig john . If there was any justice in the world, every living room would have a minimalist set-up like that.
post #18 of 25 Old 09-03-2018, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Did you use an OPPO or similar as the processor?
No, the device you see in the cabinet is a Marantz 7702 MKII. It's the only "expensive" piece in the system, but he already had it, so I used it. It worked out great. Most any receiver with pre-outs would work fine, as could the Oppo, albeit with less functionality.
gajCA and jjackkrash like this.

Lombardi said it:

My System
post #19 of 25 Old 09-04-2018, 02:42 AM - Thread Starter

@craig
Nice. I never thought of using powered monitors as home theater speakers. That opens a new can of worms...and I just fell in love with a coaxial+ribbon monitor called “Fluid Audio FPX7”...(if only the external design was a bit more living room friendly...)...interesting option...I guess I could use one of those master/slave power strips to cut the power to the monitors when the AVR (or better my next AVR, as the current lacks pre outs) is turned off... (whereas my subwoofer goes to sleep automatically after a period of inactivity)
My current SW (Canton ASF SC 75) is one of those low-profile ones (17”x17”x6”) on the floor next to the AVR (like they’re twin sized), front and center, rated 60W, 8” woofer, maybe I should add a second beefier one in a corner, although not everybody in the family is a fan of bass you feel “in the belly”. What I hope is that having 1 or 2 subs can afford me to go with smaller LCR speakers.
By the way, while researching short speakers, I read more about KEF coaxials. I should probably ask KEF, but I wonder if something like a KEF Q100 or Q150 or that amazing LS50 have a perfectly conical dispersion or they would still have reduced off axis performances when laid on the side. If proven viable, 3 horizontal Q150 could be the answer for many in my situation.

@gajCA
With that Cambridge Audio SX50 at less than 23cm height you may have just pointed me to what I’ll end up buying if tv elevation proves to be an issue, thanks! Love it in cherry color and loved the youtube review/demo by “Z reviews”. Craig let my mind play with the idea of powered monitors with perfectly engineered internal bi-amplification after the crossover, it will be hard to go back to passive LCRs, but on the other hand, can’t beat the compactness of those Cambridges and the streamlined setup of AVR+passives...let’s see how much height I have to work with..

Last edited by crtlove; 09-04-2018 at 03:13 AM.
post #20 of 25 Old 09-04-2018, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

The KEF Q100/Q150 bee stung me...I’ve just asked about them in the KEF thread...if coaxials work “80-90% of the way” when rotated 90°, that would be a fantastic solution for a low profile LCR honestly...the missing piece is knowing if the construction of the tweeter still retains a preference for horizontal dispersion vs vertical dispersion....

The Q150 are newer and supposedly slightly better, but going with the Q100 would save me 45% of the cost and allow me to space L-R 51” apart instead of 47” apart (not much, but still..)..
post #21 of 25 Old 09-04-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
but going with the Q100 would save me 45% of the cost and allow me to space L-R 51” apart instead of 47” apart (not much, but still..)..
No doubt about it, if you can find the Q100 at the $250/pair sale price they were at, this is an amazing bargain.

The caveat is, make sure your ears are ok with their treble intensity, or you can find placement tweaks and EQ tweaks to make them ok...if not, some people (like myself) find them a bit wearing after prolonged exposure. For HT-only usage they should be fine though.

post #22 of 25 Old 09-04-2018, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, I need to do a little of impulse buying because they’re quickly disappearing from the various local
Amazon stores in EU (and anything outside of them basically carry them at full initial price). I’m ordering 2 pairs for 610€ total (including shipping) from German Amazon (for some reason this saves me 50€ compared to my own local Amazon, same seller).

I was watching the review of the Q350 from the usual “Z reviews” youtube guy and he casually mentions “you can use them sideways, you are not changing anything”, not sure how much thought he put into that but I guess I’m probably be fine.
post #23 of 25 Old 09-04-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Ok, I need to do a little of impulse buying because they’re quickly disappearing from the various local
Amazon stores in EU (and anything outside of them basically carry them at full initial price). I’m ordering 2 pairs for 610€ total (including shipping) from German Amazon (for some reason this saves me 50€ compared to my own local Amazon, same seller).

I was watching the review of the Q350 from the usual “Z reviews” youtube guy and he casually mentions “you can use them sideways, you are not changing anything”, not sure how much thought he put into that but I guess I’m probably be fine.
Are you getting the Q100s or Q150s; they seem to be the same price here in the US which is a bit bizarre.

Geoff A. J., California
post #24 of 25 Old 09-04-2018, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Are you getting the Q100s or Q150s; they seem to be the same price here in the US which is a bit bizarre.
I ordered 2 pairs of Q100.
The Q100 are older, with slightly less bass (allegedly, anyway not a problem with a sub), come with magnetic grilles free of charge, and have the coaxial woofer/tweeter toward the top. (so if I mirror L/R I can put them slightly more apart)
The Q150 are the successors of the Q100, come with no grilles (pricey to import from outside US), and have the woofer/tweeter mid-cabinet.

I think the Q100 are old stock by now so somewhere you still find them at full price and somewhere they’re on sale, until there’s no more stock.
Like, on Amazon UK already there are none.
post #25 of 25 Old 09-04-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
I ordered 2 pairs of Q100.
The Q100 are older, with slightly less bass (allegedly, anyway not a problem with a sub), come with magnetic grilles free of charge, and have the coaxial woofer/tweeter toward the top. (so if I mirror L/R I can put them slightly more apart)
The Q150 are the successors of the Q100, come with no grilles (pricey to import from outside US), and have the woofer/tweeter mid-cabinet.

I think the Q100 are old stock by now so somewhere you still find them at full price and somewhere they’re on sale, until there’s no more stock.
Like, on Amazon UK already there are none.
I know this is unpopular but I'd never own a pair of speakers that came without a grill.

Everything I've read said the Q100/150 and LS50 are just fine on their sides.

Looking forward to your impressions; I think you did very well.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page