• 1 Post By Vipul Jain

post #1 of 21 Old 09-23-2018, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Speaker advice

Hello guys.
My name is vipul jain, i live in India(new delhi)
I wanted to buy a pair of good speakers, i have a pair of boring 2.1 & im done with it! So i first decided Sony d20, Then took a budget jump and saw
Philips HTL2163B Sound bar then i saw something else entirely which changed my mind totally! Edifier 1700BT( Reviews are good, speakers looks cool, and price is same) now i am confused a lott in deciding what to do. Cuz on amazon india i saw of other related products few of them didn't have bluetooth and required an amplifier. I listen to lot of music, watch movies. I'm not a bass fan or anything in particular, but i prefer good quality, clean music. Bluetooth is necessary! Cuz i use mobile to listen to stuff. Budget is around 13,000 INR (180 USD), dont want a separate amp for power up. No budget for it! I have a desktop PC, Creative SB0570 PCI Sound Blaster Audio card. My room size is around 12x10.
Also tell me if a separate Active Sub Woofer can be attached to these bookshelf speakers. Sub i will purchase later when i get salary but speakers are very much needed right now.
Kindly help me in deciding what to do!
Thanks in advanced guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 09-23-2018, 11:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2684 Post(s)
Liked: 1272
I haven't heard edifiers before, so can't comment on them. I did see JBL 305s which might be a decent option, but they'd be 2x your budget (they are sold as singles).

I did run across something kind of interesting, but I'm not sure it'd be what you are looking for:

Boston A25s at 11,500.00. A 26s would run your 16K.

But you'd need to use an amp with them (which I realize you stated you really didn't want to do). You could just get a small little amp (dayton, etc) for 8-9000 I see. Somewhat over your budget, but maybe you can find an amp cheaper somewhere else. Ideally pick one with a subwoofer out option.
post #3 of 21 Old 09-23-2018, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for reply mate!
But That is all going over budget lol
11,500+ something something. I have seen the performance of cheaper amps. So unpredictable and lousy! Moreover, no bluetooth option also. have to again purchase a receiver which is like 2-3k minimum. This will stretch my underwear!
I was going with edifier because it doesn't need amp, and have inbuilt Bluetooth which is very easy! Lets say if i go with edifier one's based on reviews, and they turn out to be good. Can i connect a Sub Woofer to them? Without any amp. If yes, then what Sub should i get? Again budget upto 5000 INR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 09-23-2018, 11:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2439 Post(s)
Liked: 1740
The Edifier R1700BT powered speakers have no subwoofer output. There is no audio out from the speakers at all, so it may not be practical to connect a sub when a Bluetooth connection is in use. (If you were using the RCA inputs, some subs would allow you to use Y connectors to send those signals to RCA jacks on the sub. Not all subs can deal with a stereo line-level pair, though.)

The R1850DB has a sub out, but it's more expensive than the R1700BT.

I'm fond of my Kef Eggs, but they seem to cost about 30,000 INR (on amazon.in).

Let us know how you make out. I'm not sure that you'll find good powered speakers with a sub output and Bluetooth within your budget.
Vipul Jain likes this.

Last edited by bobknavs; 09-23-2018 at 11:52 PM.
post #5 of 21 Old 09-23-2018, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah just saw that! And that's what i wanted to clear, that you need a sub out option in the speakers to add a subwoofer to it (I'm not technical so i dont know anything actually)
post #6 of 21 Old 09-23-2018, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
The Edifier R1700BT powered speakers have no subwoofer output. There is no audio out from the speakers at all, so it may not be practical to connect a sub when a Bluetooth connection is in use. (If you were using the RCA inputs, some subs would allow you to use Y connectors to send those signals to RCA jacks on the sub. Not all subs can deal with a stereo line-level pair, though.)

The R1850DB has a sub out, but it's more expensive than the R1700BT.

I'm fond of my Kef Eggs, but they seem to cost about 30,000 INR (on amazon.in).

Let us know how you make out. I'm not sure that you'll find good powered speakers with a sub output and Bluetooth within your budget.
Will do mate! thanks a lott
post #7 of 21 Old 09-24-2018, 12:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 3471 Post(s)
Liked: 2933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipul Jain View Post
Hello guys.
My name is vipul jain, i live in India(new delhi)
I wanted to buy a pair of good speakers, i have a pair of boring 2.1 & im done with it! So i first decided Sony d20, Then took a budget jump and saw
Philips HTL2163B Sound bar then i saw something else entirely which changed my mind totally! Edifier 1700BT( Reviews are good, speakers looks cool, and price is same) now i am confused a lott in deciding what to do. Cuz on amazon india i saw of other related products few of them didn't have bluetooth and required an amplifier. I listen to lot of music, watch movies. I'm not a bass fan or anything in particular, but i prefer good quality, clean music. Bluetooth is necessary! Cuz i use mobile to listen to stuff. Budget is around 13,000 INR (180 USD), dont want a separate amp for power up. No budget for it! I have a desktop PC, Creative SB0570 PCI Sound Blaster Audio card. My room size is around 12x10.
Also tell me if a separate Active Sub Woofer can be attached to these bookshelf speakers. Sub i will purchase later when i get salary but speakers are very much needed right now.
Kindly help me in deciding what to do!
Thanks in advanced guys
You don't have much to work with given that anything that would offer good sound quality and has a sub-out is over your budget. If you have to have something right away, the Edifer's are good as it gets within your budget, but no sub-out. Problem is, you'll be looking to upgrade sooner than later costing you even more money. You could save up your money and get the JBL 305's @Doe Doe recommended. A seperate amp with passive bookshelf speakers would be a better option for good sound quality.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, Kef Kube 10B (X2) , Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216 THX, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #8 of 21 Old 09-24-2018, 01:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If yes, then what Sub should i get? Again budget upto 5000 INR.
As stated, you can't easily hook a sub up to the model edifiers you mentioned.

As for a sub, assuming you do find speakers in your budget... I can't even find any subs at 5K. Cheapest I see on amazon india is about 10,400 for a small Yamaha.
post #9 of 21 Old 09-24-2018, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter

okay, guys. Thanks a lott for clarity!
i just had a word with edifier sales team, and the Edifier 1850DB only costs like 1000 rs more, with sub out and optical output. Which i think is awesome! I think i will go for that then, will save some money and buy a good sub later on as mentioned by Doe Doe. Can't purchase JBL 305 , they are really out of my range! and im not even that an audio freak, so it will be okay for me.
post #10 of 21 Old 09-24-2018, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 5
You should buy an AVR (You can find some cheap second hand options on OLX, Quikr etc.). I started my system by getting an a second hand Yamaha from a local dealer in Raipur. It opens up your options - - going 2.1, 3.1, 5.1 etc. You can add speakers over next few months, as your budget allows. There are decent options on Hifimart (I got my speakers here) and HTStore websites. You might also want to visit Audioohile India in Delhi ( http://audiophileindia.com/contactus.php). They deal in many good speaker brands. If you go with just speakers with a built-in amp, you may regret in the future coz of the limitations of expansion. As far as Bluetooth is concerned, you can make even an old AVR Bluetooth capable by connecting an external Bluetooth receiver which is cheap. So be patient in building your system.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
smithsabom likes this.
post #11 of 21 Old 09-24-2018, 09:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioctor View Post
You should buy an AVR (You can find some cheap second hand options on OLX, Quikr etc.). I started my system by getting an a second hand Yamaha from a local dealer in Raipur. It opens up your options - - going 2.1, 3.1, 5.1 etc. You can add speakers over next few months, as your budget allows. There are decent options on Hifimart (I got my speakers here) and HTStore websites. You might also want to visit Audioohile India in Delhi ( http://audiophileindia.com/contactus.php). They deal in many good speaker brands. If you go with just speakers with a built-in amp, you may regret in the future coz of the limitations of expansion. As far as Bluetooth is concerned, you can make even an old AVR Bluetooth capable by connecting an external Bluetooth receiver which is cheap. So be patient in building your system.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
OP, listen to what this giuy is telling you! good advice here.

And once you get your AVR... can you get the JBL B-15 in india? great budget starter speakers. 79/pr US on Amazon

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Goldenear supersat 60C,
SSR DIYSG Volt 6v2. RSS Volt 6, Atmos(.4) Boston acoustics soundware XS
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
post #12 of 21 Old 09-24-2018, 10:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2439 Post(s)
Liked: 1740
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsabom View Post
OP, listen to what this giuy is telling you! good advice here.

And once you get your AVR... can you get the JBL B-15 in india? great budget starter speakers. 79/pr US on Amazon
Is it kind to try to drag someone with an $180 (equivalent) budget into the audio hobby?

Maybe the OP wants to go that way, but if not...
post #13 of 21 Old 09-24-2018, 10:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
okay, guys. Thanks a lott for clarity!
i just had a word with edifier sales team, and the Edifier 1850DB only costs like 1000 rs more, with sub out and optical output. Which i think is awesome! I think i will go for that then, will save some money and buy a good sub later on as mentioned by Doe Doe. Can't purchase JBL 305 , they are really out of my range! and im not even that an audio freak, so it will be okay for me.

If you can't buy an AVR or small amp, that may be the best way to go. I expect the Edifiers to at least be suitable as PC speakers and okay for general use... if you aren't too picky.

Although I do like the idea posted earlier about going for a used AVR. Here in the US, a cheap AVR can be had for like $50 or so. No idea if the situation is the same where you are though. But if you eventually outgrow the Edifiers, a cheap AVR + Boston A25s (mentioned them earlier, within your budget, but unfortunately takes up nearly your entire budget) + inexpensive sub should be pretty decent.

I think you may hit a roadblock with the sub, however, unless you go used or know of a place to get them cheaper. Here in the US, bargain models would be Dayton or Monoprice. But I don't think you can get those. Cheapest I see on amazon india for any sub isn't going to fit your budget, and to be honest, it's not that great either.
post #14 of 21 Old 09-25-2018, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter

wow! thanks guys, you really take things seriously. Glad to see that!
But for now im gonna ahead with edifier. Really dont have that budget for now, and kinda have other expenses also, so cant really get into it.
Even this is a stretch for me, i come from a family where speaker means 2 boxes enough to produce sound lol
So spending much onto to it by other means. But i am sure it will be good for me. like i said, i am not that picky!
i do love good music but gotta maintain balance also.
In future if i need to upgrade and when i have a good budget i will definitely ask you guys!!!
Thanks a lott again everyone!
Have a good day
jjackkrash likes this.
post #15 of 21 Old 10-04-2018, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

Hello guys! i just received my speakers. And they are awesome! they really are enough for me, for listening music, watching movies and stuff.
Yes, they are missing a subwoofer! which i will add later on.
sigpig likes this.
post #16 of 21 Old 11-13-2019, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Hey guys! hope everyone's doing awesome
Need some advice from ya all

firstly -edifier turned out to be really good! music is nice and everything.
i just wanted to know if there's any way i can connect a soundbar with PC while using Edifier 1850?
edifier is good for music but lacks in certain places like tv shows, movies, where loudness is needed. So i was thinking of getting a simple soundbar, nothing fancy. i had this in my mind ( https://www.mi.com/in/mi-soundbar/ ) this will solve the purpose. So i have this 5.1 PCI-E audio card and was wondering if there's any way both edifier and soundbar can work together?
ALso if its not possible! then i was thinking maybe i can plug both the devices in audio card in PC one with optical cable & another with normal 3.5mm cable. switching between two whenever i need any of it. for example i need to watch a youtube video or any show then i can just switch to soundbar instead of Edifier. So which one do i use with optical? soundbar or edifier? cuz i have heard that it makes a difference in the quality of audio.
sorry for the silly questions. just a simple user but love music.
post #17 of 21 Old 11-14-2019, 02:15 AM

You can try an Optical Audio Splitter like this : Musesonic Digital Optical Toslink Audio 1x3 Splitter (Black) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07PRYC365/..._TMrZDb0RTKVHQ
Wonder how it would work. But it would let you use the Optical ports of both your devices. Lastly, I have doubts about the loudness of this soundbar as compared to your speakers.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6010 using Tapatalk
post #18 of 21 Old 11-14-2019, 03:39 AM - Thread Starter

[QUOTE=Audioctor;58818992]You can try an Optical Audio Splitter like this : Musesonic Digital Optical Toslink Audio 1x3 Splitter (Black) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07PRYC365/..._TMrZDb0RTKVHQ
Wonder how it would work. But it would let you use the Optical ports of both your devices. Lastly, I have doubts about the loudness of this soundbar as compared to your speakers.

"I have doubts about the loudness of this soundbar as compared to your speakers. "
you knows its like speech and some small parts in movies and shows where there is just voice and little music, not that heavy but slight changes. so i have to increase my volume to quite much to hear that part and then again lower it down, and i keep doing that lol
although i will take a look at the soundbar too whether it will solve the issue or not.

And this little device your suggested. its like a switcher right? i mean i can select which one to listen from.
post #19 of 21 Old 11-14-2019, 04:18 AM

1. The problem with sound from movies is that it is usually downmixed to stereo from surround sound when playing on PC etc. Hence, problem with voice clarity and loudness is common. This is more so if you are connecting your speakers directly to the PC soundcard because the downmixing is usually not good. In fact this very problem prompted me to upgrade to an AVR based system

2. The soundbar connected through optical cable should work better presuming it has a decent processor (which I again doubt at this price point).

3. Yes it is a type of switch (no personal experience though).

post #20 of 21 Old 11-14-2019, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

yeah i was thinking of getting a good sound bar. and that raises one interesting question! can i use the subwoofer of the soundbar with edifier? edifier has a sub-out. so if i can get just one sub for both the things in budget. These budgets are just so irritating man!!!!

i mean for few bucks i can get a soundbar with subwoofer instead of just a soundbar.
for example:-
Philips MMS8085B/94 2.1 system
Output power in total 80W ... Speaker output power 2 x 18 W=36W... Subwoofer output power 45 W

i mean anything like that. it has two satellites which can stick together and be 1 like a soundbar and then there is a sub of it.
i can find something like that which is more better and use the sub of that soundbar with edifier. or i just simple buy a soundbar and be done with it.
post #21 of 21 Old 11-14-2019, 11:02 PM

Again, I am not so sure about the sound quality of this cheap soundbar. Besides, it does not have the Optical connectivity. Why do you want to use both, your Edifiers and the soundbar together? I don't think the Subwoofer would be that good and we are not sure about their compatibility with your Edifiers either. If you can wait and build up your budget a bit, this Sony HT is a decent option : Sony HT-RT40 Real 5.1ch Dolby Digital Tall boy Soundbar Home Theatre System https://www.amazon.in/dp/B073RLK59B/..._lBzZDb7RTES74 It could serve all your needs. This Logitech system also looks good at a similar price : Logitech Z906 Surround Sound Speaker System https://www.amazon.in/dp/B004M18O60/..._J5JZDbQ3G67ZF

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page