Life of voice coil motor - speaker - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-24-2018, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Life of voice coil motor - speaker

I have a full range voice coil speaker, Peerless by Tymphany model NE65W-04 2inch.
It is rated for 25W RMS and 40W max. It has 4ohms impedance.
I run it at about 3W at 120Hz frequency using a 15W amplifier and the amplitude is about 20-25% of max amplitude (based on amplifier's spec).
I want to find out what the lifetime would be for my spec. I have not been able to contact the manufacturer, or even obtain any MTBF (Mean Time Before Failure) data on their website. I need it to run for 10,000 hours at 25 hour cycles, is it safe to assume it will run that long since I am running at a much lower power than RMS? If not, I will have to design tests on my own to verify the assumption.
Please give your inputs.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-24-2018, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2044 Post(s)
Liked: 2894
Quote:
Originally Posted by absubram View Post
I have a full range voice coil speaker, Peerless by Tymphany model NE65W-04 2inch.
It is rated for 25W RMS and 40W max. It has 4ohms impedance.
I run it at about 3W at 120Hz frequency using a 15W amplifier and the amplitude is about 20-25% of max amplitude (based on amplifier's spec).
I want to find out what the lifetime would be for my spec. I have not been able to contact the manufacturer, or even obtain any MTBF (Mean Time Before Failure) data on their website. I need it to run for 10,000 hours at 25 hour cycles, is it safe to assume it will run that long since I am running at a much lower power than RMS? If not, I will have to design tests on my own to verify the assumption.
Please give your inputs.
Thanks

Since it sound like DIY stuff, you may have better luck re-posting on these forum threads;
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/

I can see trying to have a break in period of a few days for this driver, 10,000 hours is insane

Ray
post #3 of 4 Old 09-24-2018, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 244
why ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 09-24-2018, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked: 1483
If you don't damage the voice coil by overheating it, nor damage the suspension by overexcursion, they will last decades in normal, or even fairly heavy use such as in a studio monitor which is likely going to get many hours more per week than it would in domestic use. If you're not doing either, stop worrying about it. There are drivers like Tannoys that still command large $ even though they are 40 years old, and I've had enough through my place, and measured them to know they're still fine.
EDIT: older foam surrounds tend to deteriorate, but newer ones age much better and they are generally cheap and easy to replace.

“You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.” Chuck Palahniuk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
voice coil motor

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page