Speaker selection: Strictly Home Theater - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18Likes

post #1 of 33 Old 09-24-2018, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Speaker selection: Strictly Home Theater

Hey all, I know, I now, yet another speaker recommendation thread from another newbie.... But please hear me out.

I've been tirelessly researching speakers for a few months for a new 7.2 setup I'm building from the ground up. I think my situation is a little different from most threads here (that I have come across) in that I am not a music guy. I will be using my setup nearly 100% for movies.

It seems that the speakers I was leaning to at one point or another:

Ascends
Chanes
Elac

Have been described by some as more musical orientated speakers. I don't know how accurate this is, as again, all of this is new to me.

I'd like to stay under $2k if possible for the 7 speakers and planning on maybe another $1k for the sub(s) (debating on going 1 big or 2 smaller).

Should I be looking at different manufacturers for my purposes? Or would those mentioned above be best suited for movies?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 09-24-2018, 07:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 2796 Post(s)
Liked: 2677
Quote:
Originally Posted by matpal View Post
Hey all, I know, I now, yet another speaker recommendation thread from another newbie.... But please hear me out.

I've been tirelessly researching speakers for a few months for a new 7.2 setup I'm building from the ground up. I think my situation is a little different from most threads here (that I have come across) in that I am not a music guy. I will be using my setup nearly 100% for movies.

Ascends
Chanes
Elac

Have been described by some as more musical orientated speakers. I don't know how accurate this is, as again, all of this is new to me.

I'd like to stay under $2k if possible for the 7 speakers and planning on maybe another $1k for the sub(s) (debating on going 1 big or 2 smaller).

Should I be looking at different manufacturers for my purposes? Or would those mentioned above be best suited for movies?

Thanks in advance.
Of those 3 the chanes or Ascend would both be good choices. Maybe take a look at HSU and the Klipsch RP line that are currently on sale to make way for the just released upgraded versions.

I think you would also be further ahead to go with 5 channels and put the extra into the subs. HSU sells complete packages with dual subs.

As for which sub(s) it depends mostly on how big the entire space is and somewhat on how close the sub(s) end up from your listening position.
EugeneDebs likes this.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #3 of 33 Old 09-24-2018, 10:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Ascend, Chane or Hsu and you won't be disappointed.

Of the 3, I have only heard the Hsu - at their demo room. I haven't had the chance to get to the Ascend room yet. Hsu speakers sounded great!

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Goldenear supersat 60C,
SSR DIYSG Volt 6v2. RSS Volt 6, Atmos(.4) Boston acoustics soundware XS
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 09-24-2018, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:

Ascends
Chanes
Elac

Thanks in advance.

With a limited budget, I would limit the setup to a 5.1 and expand down the line. I have the elac entry level speakers and I would recommend one of the ID speakers instead. Also get the largest ported sub you can afford from one of the ID brands as well, Hsu, svs, psa or jtr etc.

NAD T758v3, Emotiva XPA-3, XPA-5, UPA-5, JTR Triple 12 LP L/C/R, Htm-6 surrounds, Volt 6 atmos, SVS PC13 Ultra and JTR Cap 2400 ULF - Denon x2400h, Elac Debut F5, Elac Debut C5, Elac Debut A4, Klipsch r-12swi - Stereo Totem Mite
post #5 of 33 Old 09-25-2018, 12:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttn333 View Post
With a limited budget, I would limit the setup to a 5.1 and expand down the line. I have the elac entry level speakers and I would recommend one of the ID speakers instead. Also get the largest ported sub you can afford from one of the ID brands as well, Hsu, svs, psa or jtr etc.

Sage advice, more mediocre speakers are not better than fewer good speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
Of those 3 the chanes or Ascend would both be good choices. Maybe take a look at HSU and the Klipsch RP line that are currently on sale to make way for the just released upgraded versions.

I think you would also be further ahead to go with 5 channels and put the extra into the subs. HSU sells complete packages with dual subs.

As for which sub(s) it depends mostly on how big the entire space is and somewhat on how close the sub(s) end up from your listening position.
Quote:

Ascends
Chanes
Elac

Thanks in advance.

Speakers should be chosen based upon your required sound pressure level at the seats first. Reference level calls for peaks of 105 dB at the seats. Even a modest amount of headroom ( 6 dB ) would place your requirements at 111 dB peak at the seats.

Work backwards to calculate what you need at the speaker. Sound pressure drops -6 dB for doubling distance. If you are 4 meters away from your speakers, add 12 dB to the at seat measurement to get your peak requirement at 1 meter. 111 dB @ the seats translates to 123 dB at the speaker at 4 meter listening distance. If you are fine with less than reference volume ability, your speaker choices become larger.

What does it take to generate 123 dB at the speaker at 80 hz? ( speaker set to small ) In a sealed box with a single 12" woofer, at 80 hz you need 12+ mm one way ( 24 mm p-p ) excursion to generate 123 dB @ 1m. Same sealed box scenario with ( 2 ) 8" drivers, at 80 hz, you need 19 + mm one way excursion ( 38 mm p-p ) to generate 123 dB @ 1m.

Calculator here: http://www.baudline.com/erik/bass/xmaxer.html

A ported enclosure will reduce your excursion requirements compared to a sealed box, depending on tuning.

First define your listening distance, and your required SPL at the seats, and then see what you need to achieve that, working backwards to calculate the required 1m SPL from the speakers.

Redirected bass at reference can call for more than 121 dB peak SPL from the subwoofer channel, so any extra budget from the main and surrounds should go to the subwoofer.
matpal likes this.

Ask your doctor if DIY is right for you. Side effects of DIY may include anxiety, elevated blood pressure, lightheadedness, rapid heartbeat, skeletal muscle flaccidity, euphoria, psychological dependence, insomnia, confusion, blurred vision, impulsivity, uncontrolled or repeated movements.
post #6 of 33 Old 09-25-2018, 12:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3600 Post(s)
Liked: 3038
Quote:

Ascends
Chanes
Elac

Thanks in advance.
Option 1: Get an HSU Hybrid 2 or 3 5.1 package (depending on room dimensions) and call it a day. Get a 2nd sub later if you feel you need it.

Option 2: Chane A2.4 across the front with JBL B15's ($73/pair on Amazon) as surrounds with a Rhythmik LV12R or HSU sub.

Option 3: Ascend 340's across the front with JBL B'15's with a Rhythmik or HSU sub.

Any of these setups will sound fantastic for HT.

Don't make the classic rookie mistake of overspending on the AVR. This Denon AVR-X1400H will easily drive any of the above setups and has a bunch of features.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_033AVX...N-Command.html

You don't need expensive speaker wire and cables either. Monoprice (amazon) 14-16awg will be all you need. Just make sure it's 99.9% oxygen free copper.
mpk1970 likes this.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, Kef Kube 10B (X2) , Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216 THX, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #7 of 33 Old 09-25-2018, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
Quote:

Ascends
Chanes
Elac

Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsabom View Post
Ascend, Chane or Hsu and you won't be disappointed.

Of the 3, I have only heard the Hsu - at their demo room. I haven't had the chance to get to the Ascend room yet. Hsu speakers sounded great!
Thank you guys very much for the input.

However, I am a little surprised at the multiple recommendations for Chane and Ascend. Do you guys disagree that these are primarily for music?
post #8 of 33 Old 09-25-2018, 06:52 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Thank you guys very much for the input.

However, I am a little surprised at the multiple recommendations for Chane and Ascend. Do you guys disagree that these are primarily for music?

Not sure about Ascend (never heard them), but I have three Chane 2.4s for LCR and think they are pretty solid for everything (music/HT/gaming); though I really do not have anything worth its weight to compare them too.

I have heard nothing but amazing things about Ascend/HSU/Chane for HT, so I really do not think you could go wrong with any of these options.

For Ascend, I have heard that the Sierra's might not be the best bang-for-the-buck for HT and that a front three of either 3x340s or 1x340+2x170 would be great.

If you are worried that you may not like whatever speakers you get, you can always try getting some with a good return policy or going to (even if they have a limited selection) BestBuy and demoing some stuff in your house (HTD [not mentioned yet, but also seem to be a good performer around the range of the other speakers mentioned] has a great return policy; Crutchfield has a pretty decent return policy on book shelved [IIRC ~$25 a pair?]).
matpal likes this.
post #9 of 33 Old 09-25-2018, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
Option 1: Get an HSU Hybrid 2 or 3 5.1 package (depending on room dimensions) and call it a day. Get a 2nd sub later if you feel you need it.

Option 2: Chane A2.4 across the front with JBL B15's ($73/pair on Amazon) as surrounds with a Rhythmik LV12R or HSU sub.

Option 3: Ascend 340's across the front with JBL B'15's with a Rhythmik or HSU sub.

Any of these setups will sound fantastic for HT.

Don't make the classic rookie mistake of overspending on the AVR. This Denon AVR-X1400H will easily drive any of the above setups and has a bunch of features.

You don't need expensive speaker wire and cables either. Monoprice (amazon) 14-16awg will be all you need. Just make sure it's 99.9% oxygen free copper.
Great, thanks. My room will be roughly 2200ft^3.

At that size, and for my purposes, you do not think true towers are necessary?

And I guess that since the rear surrounds are mainly for ambiance/effects, it's not necessary to match them to the rest of the setup?

As far as receivers, I was eyeing the Denon 6400. Overkill, sure, but eventually I'd want to run a full Atmos setup and it's going for about 30% off right now. Plus I like the fact that it would be somewhat future-proof.

Thoughts
post #10 of 33 Old 09-25-2018, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Great, thanks. My room will be roughly 2200ft^3.

At that size, and for my purposes, you do not think true towers are necessary?

And I guess that since the rear surrounds are mainly for ambiance/effects, it's not necessary to match them to the rest of the setup?

As far as receivers, I was eyeing the Denon 6400. Overkill, sure, but eventually I'd want to run a full Atmos setup and it's going for about 30% off right now. Plus I like the fact that it would be somewhat future-proof.

Thoughts
"future-proof-ing" is a bit of a misnomer. there are some features that you may not need now, but will be able to take advantage of in the future. there are some features that will change because the underlying technology will change. you can buy for the former, but not the latter.

while a lessor model will drive a main room adequately, it might not be able to expand as your requirements do. Room correction capability is a big main room differentiator. resale - while both models will drop significantly over time, they will carry the same "spread" more or less in the resale market. and the more feature rich set will probably be more attractive to a used buyer.

adding Atmos in the future is a perfectly legitimate reason to go for the higher end model, but there are other reasons, just as legitimate. But if you think that some new, future technology can easily be adapted to the innards of this box, just by being more expensive, then you are mistaken.

if you have the budget and can reasonably grow into the features you won't be using right away, go for it!

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Goldenear supersat 60C,
SSR DIYSG Volt 6v2. RSS Volt 6, Atmos(.4) Boston acoustics soundware XS
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
post #11 of 33 Old 09-25-2018, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Awesome, thanks.

What are your thoughts on the neccesity/desire for true towers on the fronts for a room this size?
post #12 of 33 Old 09-25-2018, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7771 Post(s)
Liked: 5885
Quote:
What are your thoughts on the neccesity/desire for true towers on the fronts for a room this size?
For 100% movies usage, a complete waste of money.

If WAF is not important, I'd just get 5 x Ascend 170SE (or 4 x 170SE + 1 x 340SE). If WAF figures in, the Hsu equivalent with HB-1s and HC-1. Or the Chane equivalents.

You cannot go wrong with any of the above, the Ascend and Chane especially will give you high SPLs and great detail/dynamics even with an entry level receiver like the Denon 1400.

Get a pair of Monolith 10" THX subs and you'll be set for just under $2K door to door.
doni01 likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #13 of 33 Old 09-25-2018, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9573 Post(s)
Liked: 6619
Quote:

Ascends
Chanes
Elac

Thanks in advance.
As a newbie I'd definitely start with free return speakers at Best Buy; even if you don't find what you want you'll learn something.

For movies I'd do a shootout between the outgoing Klipsch RP160 at $440/pair and the new, supposedly more refined, Klipsch RP600Ms at $550/pair if you like LOUD volumes.

If loud volumes aren't what you are after I'd start with the Elacs at Best Buy.

Your room is the same size as mine so even the Elacs will give you plenty of impact.

Geoff A. J., California
post #14 of 33 Old 09-25-2018, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1902 Post(s)
Liked: 1510
Quote:
Awesome, thanks.

To begin, +1 for the Ascends and Chanes. Klipsch wouldn’t be a bad brand to add to your list. Kefs even. They both are more suited for theater usage being brighter than most.

Towers are almost useless when using subwoofers in a setup. The extra bass that they might provide becomes obsolete as the subs will be taking all of the low frequencies. I will say that personally I love the look of towers but from a money stand point it could be repurposed to your subs or more speakers.

With a room that size and for full theater usage I don’t think anyone will argue against dual HSU VTF-3 MK5 15” subwoofers. At only $1500 for the pair I don’t think there is any better value.
mpk1970 likes this.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #15 of 33 Old 09-25-2018, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3600 Post(s)
Liked: 3038
Quote:
Awesome, thanks.

Dual subs in that size room would be a good idea. Towers for a 100% HT setup wouldn't make much sense, especially with dual subs. It's always best to have matching surrounds, however you shouldn't compromise on the rest of your setup for the sake of matching surround speakers. Note: You can get a sub now and add a 2nd later to avoid blowing up your budget.

There's absolutely no need to go beyond 5.1.4. The 2 additional surrounds in a 7.1.4 set wouldn't really add that much and would save you the cost of an external amp and additional speakers. The Denon 4400H would be able to run 9 channels without the need for an extra amp.
https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...eos-new/1.html

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, Kef Kube 10B (X2) , Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216 THX, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #16 of 33 Old 09-25-2018, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked: 1311
For those dismissing towers for HT use, even with a sub, I wonder how many actually have owned towers? I'm not saying anyone is wrong, I am just wondering if it's first-hand experience or not. Personally I've found towers provide a much better soundstage/fullness + theater-like experience than regular-size bookshelves. Note I say 'regular size' as I have never tested against larger 3-way bookshelves.

Although with a limited budget, and especially if going dual subs, it might not make that much sense for the OP to go with towers if he wants to keep prices reasonable. Again, just curious as to if the anti-tower + HT rhetoric is due to experience or just assumption. And of course this is all subjective to begin with, so even if first-hand experience, it's not like anyone is wrong. But I wouldn't be so dismissive of them either like it's no difference at all.

Agree w/ Geoff in regard to trying locally at BB first. Safest way to go. I'd include Elac (v2s) + Polk Signatures in that comparison too. Might be worth listening to Martin Logans as well... just to figure out if he likes that sort of tweeter (then Chanes/Emotivas might be safer to go with).
Kini62 likes this.
post #17 of 33 Old 09-25-2018, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 3546 Post(s)
Liked: 4296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe Doe View Post
For those dismissing towers for HT use, even with a sub, I wonder how many actually have owned towers? I'm not saying anyone is wrong, I am just wondering if it's first-hand experience or not. Personally I've found towers provide a much better soundstage/fullness + theater-like experience than regular-size bookshelves. Note I say 'regular size' as I have never tested against larger 3-way bookshelves.

Although with a limited budget, and especially if going dual subs, it might not make that much sense for the OP to go with towers if he wants to keep prices reasonable. Again, just curious as to if the anti-tower + HT rhetoric is due to experience or just assumption. And of course this is all subjective to begin with, so even if first-hand experience, it's not like anyone is wrong. But I wouldn't be so dismissive of them either like it's no difference at all.

Agree w/ Geoff in regard to trying locally at BB first. Safest way to go. I'd include Elac (v2s) + Polk Signatures in that comparison too. Might be worth listening to Martin Logans as well... just to figure out if he likes that sort of tweeter (then Chanes/Emotivas might be safer to go with).

Matching towers x7 for me on all floor channels. I have always preferred towers simply because I don't like bookshelf speakers on stands. By the time one factors in quality stands, the price often times becomes negligible. I usually cross my towers @ 50hz-60hz to the subs.
shivaji and mpk1970 like this.

Last edited by Molon_Labe; 09-25-2018 at 04:48 PM.
post #18 of 33 Old 09-25-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:

Holy smokes, the Arena 170 floorstanders are just $300/pair on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/JBL-Arena-170.../dp/B00W5WAQCI

WhatHiFi is notorious for coming down hard on speakers that they hate but they liked the JBLs a lot.

https://www.whathifi.com/jbl/arena-170/review

Center is only $180 and even if the OP got another pair of 170s for rears would be $780; with B15s for rears would be just $554 leaving a LOT of money for a pair of quality subs.

PORTED SUBWOOFERS $600 AND BELOW, DELIVERED

NOTE: IF LOOKING AT LARGER/MORE EXPENSIVE SUBWOOFERS ADD PSA TO THE LIST OF BRANDS

ALSO, IF YOU ARE NOT AN ACTION MOVIE FAN A SUBWOOFER WITH 22-30HZ EXTENSION WOULD BE FINE

Specs are from the manufacturer unless noted otherwise.

150watts =11w18h13d= 18 lbs 8" [28hz] $199 EMOTIVA BASX S8

200watts =14w16h16d= 34 lbs 10" [27hz] $299 EMOTIVA BASX S10

350watts =15w16h17d= 40 lbs 10" [30hz] $399 RSL SPEEDWOOFER 10S, (extension from Sound & Vision review)

200watts =14w15h15d= 32 lbs 10" [25hz] $450 ELAC DEBUT 2.0 SUB3010, (extension from Sound & Vision review)
NOTE: THIS SUB HAS PHONE APP EQ FOR THE SUB

250watts =15w19h17d= 42 lbs 10" [25hz] $455 HSU VTF 1 MK3 (extension from Audioholics review)

300watts =15w19h20d= 46 lbs 10" [18hz] $499 SVS PB1000, (extension from Sound & Vision Review)

500watts =15w19h20d= 72 lbs 10" [20hz] $500 MONOPRICE MONOLITH THX 10" (out of stock till August)

300watts =16w22h21d= 69 lbs* 12" [19hz] $549 RHYTHMIK LV12R

350watts =15w21h22d= 62 lbs 12" [18hz] $607 HSU VTF2 MK5, (extension from Audioholics review)

* = shipping weight
mpk1970 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #19 of 33 Old 09-25-2018, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked: 1311
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post

https://www.amazon.com/JBL-Arena-170.../dp/B00W5WAQCI
I wonder if JBL would pricematch amazon on those? I expect not, but one way to get free return shipping.

Cheapest (decent) tower deal I've seen are a set of Polk S50s at $240/pair, used/excellent via Adorama. That's one situation where they probably make sense over bookshelves once you factor in stand cost (basically the same) .. although not everyone is comfortable going used. Going matching might be tricky seeing as used stock is limited, so not entirely sure what they have left.
post #20 of 33 Old 09-25-2018, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 2796 Post(s)
Liked: 2677
Quote:
Awesome, thanks.

I, and many others use towers for HT use. My room is about 1600 cubic feet. Towers aren't a necessity but for me they look a lot nicer and I run mine full range with double bass. It sounds better in my room with the bass being completely seamless.

If you can afford towers I would get them just for aesthetics if nothing else. Otherwise bookshelf speakers, especially the ones you're looking at with dual drivers, would be great as well.
shivaji likes this.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #21 of 33 Old 09-25-2018, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
For 100% movies usage, a complete waste of money.

If WAF is not important, I'd just get 5 x Ascend 170SE (or 4 x 170SE + 1 x 340SE). If WAF figures in, the Hsu equivalent with HB-1s and HC-1. Or the Chane equivalents.

You cannot go wrong with any of the above, the Ascend and Chane especially will give you high SPLs and great detail/dynamics even with an entry level receiver like the Denon 1400.

Get a pair of Monolith 10" THX subs and you'll be set for just under $2K door to door.
Thank you. Not to get too far off track, but would you place the Monolith Subs above HSU/Rythmik? Those were the ones I was considering.
post #22 of 33 Old 09-25-2018, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
Towers x7 for me, but so you know where I stand on the topic I have always preferred towers simply because I don't like bookshelf speakers on stands. By the time one factors in quality stands, the price often times becomes negligible. I usually cross my towers @ 50hz-60hz to the subs.
I was kind of thinking the same thing WRT stands. If I'm going to spend ~$400, I'd rather it be all speaker as opposed to smaller speaker and stand. Maybe I'm off, who knows.
shivaji likes this.
post #23 of 33 Old 09-25-2018, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post

[url]https://www.amazon.com/JBL-Arena-170-Black-Floorstanding/dp/B00W5WAQCI[/url

WhatHiFi is notorious for coming down hard on speakers that they hate but they liked the JBLs a lot.

https://www.whathifi.com/jbl/arena-170/review

Center is only $180 and even if the OP got another pair of 170s for rears would be $780; with B15s for rears would be just $554 leaving a LOT of money for a pair of quality subs.

PORTED SUBWOOFERS $600 AND BELOW, DELIVERED

NOTE: IF LOOKING AT LARGER/MORE EXPENSIVE SUBWOOFERS ADD PSA TO THE LIST OF BRANDS

ALSO, IF YOU ARE NOT AN ACTION MOVIE FAN A SUBWOOFER WITH 22-30HZ EXTENSION WOULD BE FINE

Specs are from the manufacturer unless noted otherwise.

150watts =11w18h13d= 18 lbs 8" [28hz] $199 EMOTIVA BASX S8

200watts =14w16h16d= 34 lbs 10" [27hz] $299 EMOTIVA BASX S10

350watts =15w16h17d= 40 lbs 10" [30hz] $399 RSL SPEEDWOOFER 10S, (extension from Sound & Vision review)

200watts =14w15h15d= 32 lbs 10" [25hz] $450 ELAC DEBUT 2.0 SUB3010, (extension from Sound & Vision review)
NOTE: THIS SUB HAS PHONE APP EQ FOR THE SUB

250watts =15w19h17d= 42 lbs 10" [25hz] $455 HSU VTF 1 MK3 (extension from Audioholics review)

300watts =15w19h20d= 46 lbs 10" [18hz] $499 SVS PB1000, (extension from Sound & Vision Review)

500watts =15w19h20d= 72 lbs 10" [20hz] $500 MONOPRICE MONOLITH THX 10" (out of stock till August)

300watts =16w22h21d= 69 lbs* 12" [19hz] $549 RHYTHMIK LV12R

350watts =15w21h22d= 62 lbs 12" [18hz] $607 HSU VTF2 MK5, (extension from Audioholics review)

* = shipping weight
I hadn't considered any JBL speakers yet... Guess it's time to open tab #46 on chrome (seriously). I guess this many choices at this price level is a very good thing, but to say it's completely overwhelming is a vast understatement.
post #24 of 33 Old 09-25-2018, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1902 Post(s)
Liked: 1510
Quote:
I hadn't considered any JBL speakers yet... Guess it's time to open tab #46 on chrome (seriously). I guess this many choices at this price level is a very good thing, but to say it's completely overwhelming is a vast understatement.

I cannot agree with you more. The only thing that helped me with selecting speakers was the fact that I don’t have the space for floorstanders. This threw out half my options, leaving me with a little bit of calm before the storm raged back up trying to find the perfect bookshelves now.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #25 of 33 Old 09-25-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Thank you. Not to get too far off track, but would you place the Monolith Subs above HSU/Rythmik? Those were the ones I was considering.
The 10" THX at $500 would be better than the VTF-1 at $400 and the PB1000 at $500. Not sure how it would do against the Rythmik LV12-R at $550. It probably would not be quite as good as the VTF-2 at $600. Browse/ask on the subwoofer forum for more detailed whys and hows.

One advantage that Hsu, Rythmik, and SVS do offer over the Monolith subs is superior service after the sale, in case you have the bad luck to get a lemon.
matpal likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #26 of 33 Old 09-25-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
100% movies, JBL are a good choice.
gajCA likes this.

post #27 of 33 Old 09-25-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
If you were at all considering floor standing speakers the JBLs excel at movies and I've paid almost as much for a pair of SPEAKER STANDS as those well regarded on AVS and the pro press JBLs.

The thing they do is they open up the quality of sub(s) that you can consider and the center and sub are the two most important of all speakers in a surround sound system.

@Mike1970 , if memory serves, tested some JBL's in one of his two shootouts and was impressed with their performance for the price.

Geoff A. J., California
post #28 of 33 Old 09-25-2018, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I know this is a bit out of his price range but I was curious how well this be just for movies I'm also working with a buddy to build him a movie room and i have the C2 center and love it how well do the towers perform for home theater duty?
Emotiva C2 Center $369.00
Emotiva T2 Front x2 $ $999.00
Emotiva T1 Surrounds X2 $699
post #29 of 33 Old 09-26-2018, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardccm View Post
I know this is a bit out of his price range but I was curious how well this be just for movies I'm also working with a buddy to build him a movie room and i have the C2 center and love it how well do the towers perform for home theater duty?
Emotiva C2 Center $369.00
Emotiva T2 Front x2 $ $999.00
Emotiva T1 Surrounds X2 $699
I'd be very curious about this setup as well.
post #30 of 33 Old 09-26-2018, 06:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1366 Post(s)
Liked: 1565
Quote:

Couldnt agree more. I just recently went from books to towers (Emotiva T2). You are spot on that there is wider dispersion, dynamics, and fullness. I have 2 brand new kick ass JTR 118 subs that shake the room. BUt lets face it, not every single movie calls for these subs to be booming. Its mostly action movies with blasts, bullets etc...

What I like about Towers, all these other movies, I don't play subs, just the towers and it works better than books.

I think we fall into the false sense of every single person watching nothing but bass heavy movies which is not true.
Molon_Labe and Doe Doe like this.

Set up #1 Speakers LR: Tekton Enzo XL ; Center: Tekton Pendragon Subs (2) 2019 JTR 118HTs
Set up #2 : QA3020i LR, Center: Emotiva C1 Subs (2) HSU VTF2 MK5,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page