Looking to get a nice sound set up - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17Likes

post #1 of 102 Old 09-30-2018, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Looking to get a nice sound set up

Hi! I’m building my man cave with a 100” screen, Optoma uhd51a. That much I know. I would like a nice sound unit too. I’m looking at the Klipsch RP-250 home theater system from their website. How to I verify I’m going to get enough power from whatever receiver I buy? I was looking at the Onkyo tx-nr787. Would this be a decent sound setup to get started? Anyone have this so I can pick your brain?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 102 Old 09-30-2018, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

So i read a couple of responses for other members and it seems i might have been a little lacking on some crucial info. so let me start again.

My wife gave me the go ahead to build a man cave. the room size is 10' 3" X 13' 1". The projector will be going on the 13' wall so i have chosen the Optoma UHD51A due to the correct throw i need for the short 10' space. this was the easy part. sound has always been the hard part for me. i have set up successfully a 5.1 system in my living room we have been happy with for 3 years now. it is an onkyo 626 with klipsch quintet speakers and a klipsch sub. i have been happy with this in the living room but i would like a better sound system than i have now.

As i stated above i am really looking into the Klipsch RP-250 Home Theater System paired with an Onkyo TX-NR787 which would run me about 2800. So i guess my budget is in that range. i want the best bang for my buck so if anyone could help me with this i would sure appreciate it. i would like sound to knock my socks of in movies and gaming environments. Mostly Movies. I know almost nothing. i dont understand it but i want it kind of thing. thank you for your time.
post #3 of 102 Old 09-30-2018, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2788 Post(s)
Liked: 1752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustproofcorn View Post
So i read a couple of responses for other members and it seems i might have been a little lacking on some crucial info. so let me start again.

My wife gave me the go ahead to build a man cave. the room size is 10' 3" X 13' 1". The projector will be going on the 13' wall so i have chosen the Optoma UHD51A due to the correct throw i need for the short 10' space. this was the easy part. sound has always been the hard part for me. i have set up successfully a 5.1 system in my living room we have been happy with for 3 years now. it is an onkyo 626 with klipsch quintet speakers and a klipsch sub. i have been happy with this in the living room but i would like a better sound system than i have now.

As i stated above i am really looking into the Klipsch RP-250 Home Theater System paired with an Onkyo TX-NR787 which would run me about 2800. So i guess my budget is in that range. i want the best bang for my buck so if anyone could help me with this i would sure appreciate it. i would like sound to knock my socks of in movies and gaming environments. Mostly Movies. I know almost nothing. i dont understand it but i want it kind of thing. thank you for your time.

If you are a Klipsch person, that's totally fine! But, have you been out and about to audition any other brands? Also, consider moving to dual subs if you have the space. I'd probably look to another brand for subs. If you are settled on that budget, that's totally fine too. But don't be afraid to discover new things (brands) and spend a bit more for that better experience you're after. You can always build a system slowly with a few rock-solid base components and then build on it as funding allows.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 102 Old 09-30-2018, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

I dont have anywhere in my town that has nice sound set ups to demo. So I am really at the mercy of whoever will help me out with this. i am sitting on a 3000 budget for sound. i do have space for 2 subs. the 13' wall i mentioned will be only for the screen, a short long entertainment center, and then the sound. i plan on putting my left right on the floor since they are towers and the center on the entertainment center that will be just below the screen. then the sub to either the left or right but for symmetry and sound would be nice to have dual subs. I am up for any suggestions within my limited budget of 3000.
post #5 of 102 Old 09-30-2018, 08:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 3083 Post(s)
Liked: 2559
Quote:
I dont have anywhere in my town that has nice sound set ups to demo. So I am really at the mercy of whoever will help me out with this. i am sitting on a 3000 budget for sound. i do have space for 2 subs. the 13' wall i mentioned will be only for the screen, a short long entertainment center, and then the sound. i plan on putting my left right on the floor since they are towers and the center on the entertainment center that will be just below the screen. then the sub to either the left or right but for symmetry and sound would be nice to have dual subs. I am up for any suggestions within my limited budget of 3000.
Since your room isn't that big and you'll be using the set for HT and gaming, don't waste your money on towers. You won't be doing any critical 2 channel music sessions so you won't need the additional extension towers would provide. The money would be better spent on subs.

Three Chane A2.4's across the front with A1.4's as surround or you can do A2.4's all around. These things will get stupid loud and maintain their composure.
https://www.chanemusiccinema.com/A2.4
https://www.chanemusiccinema.com/A1.4

For subs, Dual HSU VTF-2 MK5's or Monoprice Monolith 10's. Dual subs will even out the bass throughout the entire space. HSU also has some well reviewed packages if you prefer a 1 stop shopping experience.
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk5.html
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24456

For the AVR, Denon are are commonly recommended for their very good room correction software, ease of use and dual sub eq.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_033AVX...N-Command.html

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.

Last edited by pase22; 09-30-2018 at 08:43 PM.
post #6 of 102 Old 09-30-2018, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
Since your room isn't that big and you'll be using the set for HT and gaming, don't waste your money on towers. You won't be doing any critical 2 channel music sessions so you won't need the additional extension towers would provide. The money would be better spent on subs.

Three Chane A2.4's across the front with A1.4's as surround or you can do A2.4's all around. These things will get stupid loud and maintain their composure.
https://www.chanemusiccinema.com/A2.4
https://www.chanemusiccinema.com/A1.4
These are as good or comparative to the Klipsch i mentioned earlier? what would you recommend for subs? if i did the 3 2.4's and a pair of the 1.4's as my surround puts me at 1176. with the 699 i was going to spend on the receiver i would still have a good bit for the subs.

I have never heard of Chane. These are awesome? The cost looks cheaper per piece than Klipsch.
post #7 of 102 Old 09-30-2018, 08:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 3083 Post(s)
Liked: 2559
Quote:
These are as good or comparative to the Klipsch i mentioned earlier? what would you recommend for subs? if i did the 3 2.4's and a pair of the 1.4's as my surround puts me at 1176. with the 699 i was going to spend on the receiver i would still have a good bit for the subs.

I have never heard of Chane. These are awesome? The cost looks cheaper per piece than Klipsch.
I edited my last post to include sub and AVR suggestions.

I think they'll sound more neutral with excellent detail and clarity. Dialogue (provided the center is properly placed) will be very clear and intelligible.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #8 of 102 Old 09-30-2018, 09:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1344 Post(s)
Liked: 2529
There is a Chane vs Klipsch thread a page or two in. My take was that first it didn't sound bias, second that his subjective impression was the Chanes were a step up. Also nothing but 100's of positive posts on the chane products. My research convinced me to go for replacing all seven Klipsch's with three A2.4's and four A1.4's which should be here by weeks end.

I dont think you can possibly go wrong with them unless you have a strong preference for bright speakers.

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Funk 21.0LX Master/Slave combo 4800 watts RMS/9600watts (peak)-
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
-Chane A-1.4 side/rear surrounds.

Last edited by indebtbassfreak; 09-30-2018 at 09:05 PM.
post #9 of 102 Old 09-30-2018, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

That set up would put me at 2665 Rather than 2800 for the initial set up i was looking at. it looks like the Denon is last years model so im getting a pretty big discount there and it seems to have all the options i wanted like hdr and dts-x so at a 100 dollar savings i think i will switch over. The speakers i can get the 2.4's for the front and 1.4's in the back which leaves me that extra wiggle room for the 2 subs instead of one sub. you said provided i properly place the center and would like some clarity on that. how can it be set improperly? this is just ignorance on my part not questioning you. i want this to be right. im looking at the two Monolith Subs btw just because of the free shipping keeps my cost down.

Thank you so much for the help
post #10 of 102 Old 09-30-2018, 10:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1457 Post(s)
Liked: 1032
Quote:
That set up would put me at 2665 Rather than 2800 for the initial set up i was looking at. it looks like the Denon is last years model so im getting a pretty big discount there and it seems to have all the options i wanted like hdr and dts-x so at a 100 dollar savings i think i will switch over. The speakers i can get the 2.4's for the front and 1.4's in the back which leaves me that extra wiggle room for the 2 subs instead of one sub. you said provided i properly place the center and would like some clarity on that. how can it be set improperly? this is just ignorance on my part not questioning you. i want this to be right. im looking at the two Monolith Subs btw just because of the free shipping keeps my cost down.

I would pull the trigger on the Monolith subwoofers. The sale will end soon and they are crushing the competition. Check out SoundandVision's review here. At around $800 shipped, they can't be beat. Ebay has the 12" on for $800 but there is a code "picksoon" that is 15% off up to $100. That brings it down to $700 and then taxes back up to $750. I'm not actually sure if the code is still working but it is still a great deal regardless.

As for speakers check out the Ascend CMT 340 SE's, they are similar to the Chanes but with a dome tweeter and bigger woofers. I just listened to them and I will vouch personally that they sound much better than the Klipsch. But Klipsch may be better for you as they will play louder and brighter meaning they are great for theater speakers. Ascend and Chane are more neutral sounding meaning they are better for music and possibly for gaming, but still great for home theater. Another one to consider might be Emotiva, don't know if you were open to towers or not but their T1 and T2 towers are phenomenal. For bang for buck I would stick with internet direct companies. They are specialized and not mass-consumer oriented.

As for receivers, 100 wpc on the Onkyo TX-NR787 should be more than enough, especially with high efficiency speakers like Klipsch. Do check out accessories4less.com they have great deals on refurb ones and you could save a couple bucks. Or even check out the classifieds section on this forum. There are some nice souls on this forum who will sell you their pristine condition used one for a mind blowing price. I just got a 7.1 for 225 shipped over night from @golden78 ! Just make sure not to limit your options. Its hard to make decisions like that. Good luck.
Zorba922 likes this.
post #11 of 102 Old 10-01-2018, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6887 Post(s)
Liked: 5181
Quote:
The main value of listening to speakers in a store is that it allows you to figure out what type of SOUND SIGNATURE (e.g. "bright? warm? neutral?") you prefer. But at the end of the day, there is simply NO SUBSTITUTE for an in-home audition. Why not? Because:

You never know if the salesperson is inept and/or dishonest, and how much effect the shop's room acoustics and chosen receiver/amp will have on how the speakers sound IN THE STORE vs how they will actually sound in YOUR home, on YOUR electronics, with YOUR room acoustics in play. Not to mention all the different variables concerning subwoofers, subwoofer settings, receiver settings, etc. which can make a huge difference in your perception of the speaker you're hearing.

If your 10 x 13' room is totally enclosed, with no adjacent open spaces, $3K is probably double what you really need to spend to get a [email protected] system. Especially since it sounds like you'll be sitting only 8-9 ft away from the speakers. Just DON'T limit yourself to Best Buy, is all...as the previous poster has mentioned, the best bang for the buck is online, esp. from internet-direct companies you've never heard of.

For example, you could get a great setup of JBL Studio 230s + 235 center + 225 surrounds for just $780 shipped, and free return shipping in case you are not sufficiently impressed. Add a pair of Monolith 10" THX subs for another $1K, and you're good to go for $1780. A good receiver would run another $400-600 tops. Speaker stands, cables, maybe another $250. Done.

https://www.jbl.com/loudspeakers/

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #12 of 102 Old 10-01-2018, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

those JBLs are 780 but the chanes are only 1068. do i get better bang for my buck with the extra few hundred for the chanes? i wish there was a 3000 or under package that i could buy that would eliminate the nervousness.. i do want very good sound. movies and gaming. better than my 626 and klipsch quintets produce. that is what i know.
post #13 of 102 Old 10-01-2018, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

just gonna give myself a tad of a bump here to see if anyone has any more input.
post #14 of 102 Old 10-01-2018, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
just gonna give myself a tad of a bump here to see if anyone has any more input.
That is quite funny how you didn't get any responses. So for those JBLs vs Chanes, I have never heard either but they are both extremely well spoken on these forums. They are top contenders for bang for buck speakers. As @Zorba922 mentioned, there really is no substitute for in home listening. Unless you need to get these speakers NOW, I would take your time to do your research and listen and factor in tons of variables. My speaker choice swung from Emotiva T2's to Klipsch RP-280F's to Ascend CMT340's to RBH R515's and finally back to those Ascends. By listening to almost all of these speakers I was able to decide which one I truly wanted. Get a set of those JBLs that Zorba mentioned and try them out. If you are satisfied, go no further. If not, send them back and try again. I would also recommend browsing the demo forums to see if anyone local has a set of speakers you would like to hear. Again, in-home listening is best, but this is a close second as you can ask them to turn off EQ and other factors unlike a store. SVS is another internet direct that offers free, no risk, in home trials. I wouldn't exactly recommend their speakers, but they make some of the best subwoofers out there. Don't be afraid to set a rule or priority for what speakers you are looking for. If you want towers, go with towers, there is nothing wrong with that. If you like the look of a Mini-Tower like the Ascend 340s or Chane 2.4s, go with those. If you love the looks of the Klipsch, go with the Klipsch. After everything is settled and done, YOU should be the one that is happy with your purchase, not us.
post #15 of 102 Old 10-01-2018, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

well i work offshore and my thought was to have everything at the house when i get home. since i work a 4 and 4 rotation i dont get a bunch of time to wait for shipping and what not. i think what i might do however is get my receiver, projector, and screen and start setting up my cave. it will take me a few days to get them wired so that would be ample time to make my first purchase and then subsequently test them out. i know i want to stick in the 3000 dollar mark. im gonna pull the trigger today on the denon that was previously mention since it on amazon for 599. i really loved the look of the Klipsch towers but i dont like to throw money away. the chanes 2.4s able to sit on the floor? or do i need to mount them? i could still have them as mini towers i suppose. at 2000 for the klipsch there would be no money for a second sub either and that sounds like a must. i think im more confused and unsure how to properly research.
post #16 of 102 Old 10-01-2018, 09:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6887 Post(s)
Liked: 5181
Quote:
the chanes 2.4s able to sit on the floor? or do i need to mount them? i could still have them as mini towers i suppose. at 2000 for the klipsch there would be no money for a second sub either and that sounds like a must. i think im more confused and unsure how to properly research.
The Chanes would be a very safe bet. Am currently auditioning one right now as a center, almost wish I'd gotten a pair instead.

Yes you'll need stands for them, look up the Pangea steel stands on Amazon, $100/pr shipped for various heights. Or the Monoprice Monolith stands, $100/pr for the 24" size.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #17 of 102 Old 10-01-2018, 09:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
well i work offshore and my thought was to have everything at the house when i get home. since i work a 4 and 4 rotation i dont get a bunch of time to wait for shipping and what not. i think what i might do however is get my receiver, projector, and screen and start setting up my cave. it will take me a few days to get them wired so that would be ample time to make my first purchase and then subsequently test them out. i know i want to stick in the 3000 dollar mark. im gonna pull the trigger today on the denon that was previously mention since it on amazon for 599. i really loved the look of the Klipsch towers but i dont like to throw money away. the chanes 2.4s able to sit on the floor? or do i need to mount them? i could still have them as mini towers i suppose. at 2000 for the klipsch there would be no money for a second sub either and that sounds like a must. i think im more confused and unsure how to properly research.
To answer your questions, 2.4s need a stand or a mount. I would walk away from the Klipsch for now unless you listen to them yourself and declare "I want these". With your budget right now, I would get one subwoofer right now and get the second when it allows. The Denon was a good choice. Researching is basically just asking finding other people that are in the same situation as you and reading their conversations. Or comparing reviews of two different speakers to find which one is "better".

So it looks like you are trying to go for the "One and done" setup. And you would like to pick the "right" speaker brand on the first try. Since your denon is a 7.2, I'm guessing you want to utilize all channels. Here are a couple ideas I put together from the thread.

Chane:

2 Chane 5.4 (LR) $880
1 Chane 2.4 (Center) $280
4 Chane 1.4 (Surround) $680
1 HSU VTF-3 MK5 (Subwoofer) $800 (Get the second one later when budget allows)
OR
2 HSU VTF-2 MK5 $1080
Total $2640 or $2920 (Before Taxes and Shipping)

JBL:

2 JBL 230 (LR) $300
1 JBL 235 (Center) $200
4 JBL 220 (Surround) $460
For subwoofers you can go crazy, even getting a JTR :P
JTR Captivator 118HT (Subwoofer) $1800
Total $2960 (Before Taxes and Shipping)

If you did want to go my Ascend route:

2 CMT-340 SE Mains (LR) $500
1 CMT-340 SE Center (Center) $300
4 CBM-170 SE Bookshelves (Surround) $600
1 Rythmik FVX15 (Subwoofer) $1030 (Again getting a second later on if you like)
OR
2 Rythmik LVX12 $1520
Total $2430 or $2920 (Before Taxes and Shipping)

PM me if you need more ideas or suggestions.
post #18 of 102 Old 10-02-2018, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

wow thanks for the options!!!

they are a little high for me. really trying to stay in that 3000 budget which includes the denon. im gonna play with your configurations and see if i can make one fit my budget.
post #19 of 102 Old 10-02-2018, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2669 Post(s)
Liked: 2462
Quote:

Just be aware that the Denon 3400 cannot do 9 channels, 5.x.4 or 7.x.2 if that is in the future. Audyssey and sub EQ may not be for everyone either.

Also, don't over think the speaker situation. Everyone is going to recommend what they like. Most of the recommendations have been good, especially the setup with the Chane 5.4s and a pair of HSU VTF2.5s.

You could also go with a HSU package-
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hybrid2mk5pkg.html it would be around $1900 with 2 subs.
jjackkrash likes this.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #20 of 102 Old 10-02-2018, 08:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
wow thanks for the options!!!

they are a little high for me. really trying to stay in that 3000 budget which includes the denon. im gonna play with your configurations and see if i can make one fit my budget.
Please do! By all means mix whatever you like around. I was just trying to collect all the ideas from the thread and throw them on a plate. All of those subwoofers (Except the JTR) can be moved around. I would put those Monoliths on your selection list too.

Here's a little flow chart I made since I was bored (Might look awkward on mobile):
I also added Emotiva to the list in case you were interested. Tried to organize by price within brand (Like Chane 5.4 costs more than 2.4)

--Fronts----------Center---------Surrounds--------Subwoofer--

Chane 5.4------Chane 2.4------Chane 1.4-------SVS PB-2000
Chane 2.4------Ascend 340-----Ascend 170-----SVS PB-1000
Chane 1.4------JBL 235C--------JBL 230---------HSU VTF3 MK5
Ascend 340-----Emotiva C2-----JBL 220---------HSU VTF2 MK5
Ascend 170-----Emotiva C1-----Emotiva E2-----HSU VTF1 MK3
JBL 230---------------------------Emotiva B1-----Monolith 12"
Emotiva T2-----------------------Emotiva E1-----Monolith 10"
Emotiva T1-----------------------------------------Rythmik FVX15
Emotiva B1-----------------------------------------Rythmik LVX12
Lp85253 and Andres Gonzalez like this.

Last edited by Russdawg1; 10-02-2018 at 08:13 PM.
post #21 of 102 Old 10-02-2018, 11:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 2328
If you are buying blind so to speak, I'd note that Dave F. at Ascend makes pretty accurate speakers and publishes good measurements.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...t340mmeas.html

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...bm170meas.html

Same with Dennis Murthy at Philharmonic Audio.

http://www.philharmonicaudio.com/Mini-Monitor.html

http://www.philharmonicaudio.com/aa.html

Both of the above companies offer good value and solid performance at the price point you are looking at.

I'd also note that the ported subs from HSU, Rythmik, and Monoprice mentioned above are all solid values and solid performers; literally no wrong or bad choice among them. Pick the biggest, best sub you can afford within budget (or two) and enjoy.

Good luck!
Andres Gonzalez likes this.
post #22 of 102 Old 10-04-2018, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

you know what the problem i am having is. once you start to research you want it all.. then i talk to you guys and i want more.

i start with 5.1 is good then i need 5.2 then whats 2 more speakers 7.2 but atmos seams cool 7.2.2 then realize im up to 4k. then start over. i always end up at 7.2.2

so now im thinking about 5.2.2 this is what know so far.

Denon 3400 at 599
Chane 2x 5.4's 1 x 2.4's and 2 x 1.4' 1279

this is pretty much set in stone at this point.

subs i have two in mind that will cost me around 1000 for the set.

so i am sitting at 2900 as i am now. what are a couple of good atmos speakers that would go good with this set up? i can mount anyway except in the ceiling. please help.
post #23 of 102 Old 10-05-2018, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

So I just was reading about the Denon 3400 and I guess it’s not able to do 5.1.4 or 5.2.4. So I was taking a look at the 4400h. Why does it have such bad reviews? Anyone recommend a receiver that can do a 5.2.4 or 5.1.4 system under 1000? Also the question I have about Atmos above would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #24 of 102 Old 10-05-2018, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 2328
Quote:
Why does it have such bad reviews?
Got me (I have not seen them). I have a 4300 i bought on closeout ($800) and its pretty much unbeatable for the money for a reciever that will process 11 channels.
post #25 of 102 Old 10-05-2018, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

If you look at my diagram will my rear speakers on stands work with Atmos speakers on top of them? Or no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #26 of 102 Old 10-05-2018, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Also i do think im going to get that 4400. it looks awesome. i see some refurbished ones for 750 i may snag one of those.

and opinions

5 chane 2.4's or 2 chane 5.4's, 1 chane 2.4, and 2 chane 1.4s? that is almost the exact same cost. which one is the better bang for my buck?? and to be honest the 5 2.4's is more because i need stands with them.
post #27 of 102 Old 10-05-2018, 08:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Honestly in that size room (with subs) imo A2.4's will be plenty For L/C/R no need for the A5.4's,,, if you went A2.4's in the rear as well you will have a ridicules soundstage all around. With a decent AVR and subs properly set up that equipment will crush that room. Just my 2cents.

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
post #28 of 102 Old 10-05-2018, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by indebtbassfreak View Post
Honestly in that size room (with subs) imo A2.4's will be plenty For L/C/R no need for the A5.4's,,, if you went A2.4's in the rear as well you will have a ridicules soundstage all around. With a decent AVR and subs properly set up that equipment will crush that room. Just my 2cents.
Nice.. thanks for that input. i only plan on getting one sub at the moment the VTF-2 MK5 Subwoofer and then add another one. i also plan one getting 4 atmos speakers to put on top of the L/R Surround speakers. still looking for a recommendation on those. I of course would need them to fit on top of the Chane 2.4's.

anyone ever see chanes go on sale? i can go ahead an purchase those now if so. if they go on sale in the next month i think i would break my own pinky.
post #29 of 102 Old 10-05-2018, 09:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Also i do think im going to get that 4400. it looks awesome. i see some refurbished ones for 750 i may snag one of those.

and opinions

5 chane 2.4's or 2 chane 5.4's, 1 chane 2.4, and 2 chane 1.4s? that is almost the exact same cost. which one is the better bang for my buck?? and to be honest the 5 2.4's is more because i need stands with them.
If your going to run the Chanes ports plugged,,, then two sets of something like the BT-77 wall mounts will work fine for the A2.4's all around. I have a set and they will easily handle the weight of the 2.4's. Otherwise leaving ports open will need at least a foot of breathing room and then yes proper floor stands will be needed.

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
post #30 of 102 Old 10-05-2018, 09:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Nice.. thanks for that input. i only plan on getting one sub at the moment the VTF-2 MK5 Subwoofer and then add another one. i also plan one getting 4 atmos speakers to put on top of the L/R Surround speakers. still looking for a recommendation on those. I of course would need them to fit on top of the Chane 2.4's.

anyone ever see chanes go on sale? i can go ahead an purchase those now if so. if they go on sale in the next month i think i would break my own pinky.
In that small room and if you only have the one couch you may not even need a second sub, properly set up it should give that small seating area good coverage and pound quite well.

They don't go on sale but do at times have "B" stock at a reduced price. The four A1.4's i ordered were B stock and $49 off per pair. The A 2.4's i paid full price, no B stock.

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R

Last edited by indebtbassfreak; 10-05-2018 at 09:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page