Buying speakers in 2 phases, Eventual 7.1.4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By pase22
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 10-08-2018, 03:35 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
InYourFace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Buying speakers in 2 phases, Eventual 7.1.4

Updates:
Clarified my questions, added borrowed receiver model. Added Layout.

Original Op:

I've finally finished my basement, 1 year behind schedule, and I have a large room that is approximately 17'x45' with 9' ceilings. About 20' of one end is going to be a home theater area with a projector and I have ran speaker wire through the walls for a 7.1.4 speaker system. This includes cutting out holes for 2 in-wall side speakers(8x13) and 4 in-ceiling height speakers(8). I spent more than I wanted to on the basement and I can't swing all of the equipment this year, some of it will have to wait until next year. I borrowed a buddies 7.2 Denon 3311 receeiver so I can push off the purchase of a receiver which will eventually be something like the Denon X4500H, until next year. I have a budget of around 1.5-2k for the first set of speakers and while I want something that sounds pretty good, I'm definitely a price/performance guy. Ideally these are speakers I could purchase/demo locally at something like a Best Buy if possible.
I'm looking for suggestions on which 5 or so speakers to pick up first, and specific speaker recommendations. I was thinking the 3 fronts, and the 2 side speakers, possibly a sub as well first? The other 6-7 speakers I will pick up sometime next year, probably starting with the in-ceiling and finishing with the rears. I want something that will sound decent and I also really want to fill in the holes on the sides. This home theater will mostly be movies and video games, probably a 50/50 split. Reading through a few posts, and it sounds like I may be able to save some money by buying bookshelf speakers for the L/R speakers? I won't be blaring music, so does that defeat the purpose of getting towers? I was thinking Klipsch all around, though I'm definitely not tied to it? Give you an idea of what I'm thinking, I'm definitely open to suggestions:

Questions:
1. Are the L/C/R + side speakers the first ones I should buy if I want to get decent quality speakers with a budget of 1.5-2k? What about a sub? Keeping in mind I plan on buying the remaining around this time next year.
2. What tradeoffs do I make using bookshelf's for my L/R speakers? Should I just get towers and no sub at first for a year, and then get a sub later? Or should I go bookshelf's and one sub now, as I won't notice much of a difference?

Specific Speakers:
1. L/R - https://www.crutchfield.com/p_714RP1...ny.html?tp=186
2. C - https://www.crutchfield.com/p_714RP2...ny.html?tp=189
3. Side - https://www.crutchfield.com/p_714R36...3650-W-II.html
4. Sub - open to suggestions? This is something I'm not against purchasing online.

Layout

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by InYourFace; 10-09-2018 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Clarification
InYourFace is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 26 Old 10-08-2018, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 20,741
Mentioned: 248 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9813 Post(s)
Liked: 6836
Quote:
Originally Posted by InYourFace View Post
I've finally finished my basement, 1 year behind schedule, and I have a large room that is approximately 17'x45' with 9' ceilings. About 20' of one end is going to be a home theater area with a projector and I have ran speaker wire through the walls for a 7.1.4 speaker system. This includes cutting out holes for 2 in-wall side speakers(8x13) and 4 in-ceiling height speakers(8). I spent more than I wanted to on the basement and I can't swing all of the equipment this year, some of it will have to wait until next year. I borrowed a buddies 7.1 Denon receiver so I can push off the purchase of a receiver which will eventually be something like the Denon X4500H, until next year. I have a budget of around 1.5-2k for the first set of speakers and while I want something that sounds pretty good, I'm definitely a price/performance guy. Ideally these are speakers I could purchase/demo locally at something like a Best Buy if possible.
I'm looking for suggestions on which 5 or so speakers to pick up first, and specific speaker recommendations. I was thinking the 3 fronts, and the 2 side speakers, possibly a sub as well first? The other 6-7 speakers I will pick up sometime next year, probably starting with the in-ceiling and finishing with the rears. I want something that will sound decent and I also really want to fill in the holes on the sides. This home theater will mostly be movies and video games, probably a 50/50 split. Reading through a few posts, and it sounds like I may be able to save some money by buying bookshelf speakers for the L/R speakers? I won't be blaring music, so does that defeat the purpose of getting towers? I was thinking Klipsch all around? Give you an idea of what I'm thinking, I'm definitely open to suggestions:

1. L/R - https://www.crutchfield.com/p_714RP1...ny.html?tp=186
2. C - https://www.crutchfield.com/p_714RP2...ny.html?tp=189
3. Side - https://www.crutchfield.com/p_714R36...3650-W-II.html
4. Sub - open to suggestions? This is something I'm not against purchasing online.

Thanks for your time.
Your center and L/R choice are fine with either $10/box returns at Crutchfield or free returns at Best Buy but I'm not sure if they are carrying those any more. If they are they will price match Crutchfield.

As to the in walls I'd get, for the same price, the superior "matching" Pro RP in walls.

https://nationwidestereo.com/product...SABEgJ42fD_BwE

Here are the best choices for subs IMHO; pay close attention to the cabinet size so you don't get shocked at how big some of the powerful ported subs can be.

PORTED SUBWOOFERS $600 AND BELOW, DELIVERED


NOTE:
*IF LOOKING AT LARGER/MORE EXPENSIVE SUBWOOFERS ADD PSA TO THE LIST OF BRANDS
*IF YOU ARE NOT AN ACTION MOVIE FAN A SUBWOOFER WITH 22-30HZ EXTENSION WOULD BE FINE
*FOR MUSIC A 30HZ SUB IS A FINE CHOICE

Specs are from the manufacturer unless noted otherwise.

150watts =11w18h13d= 18 lbs 8" [28hz] $199 EMOTIVA BASX S8

200watts =14w16h16d= 34 lbs 10" [27hz] $299 EMOTIVA BASX S10

350watts =15w16h17d= 40 lbs 10" [30hz] $399 RSL SPEEDWOOFER 10S, (extension from Sound & Vision review)

200watts =14w15h15d= 32 lbs 10" [25hz] $450 ELAC DEBUT 2.0 SUB3010, (extension from Sound & Vision review)
NOTE: THIS SUB HAS PHONE APP EQ FOR THE SUB

250watts =15w19h17d= 42 lbs 10" [25hz] $455 HSU VTF 1 MK3 (extension from Audioholics review)

300watts =15w19h20d= 46 lbs 10" [18hz] $499 SVS PB1000, (extension from Sound & Vision Review)

500watts =15w19h20d= 72 lbs 10" [20hz] $500 MONOPRICE MONOLITH THX 10"

300watts =16w22h21d= 69 lbs* 12" [19hz] $549 RHYTHMIK LV12R

350watts =15w21h22d= 62 lbs 12" [18hz] $607 HSU VTF2 MK5, (extension from Audioholics review)

* = shipping weight

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is online now  
post #3 of 26 Old 10-08-2018, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 7,976
Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3716 Post(s)
Liked: 3163
Quote:
Originally Posted by InYourFace View Post
I've finally finished my basement, 1 year behind schedule, and I have a large room that is approximately 17'x45' with 9' ceilings. About 20' of one end is going to be a home theater area with a projector and I have ran speaker wire through the walls for a 7.1.4 speaker system. This includes cutting out holes for 2 in-wall side speakers(8x13) and 4 in-ceiling height speakers(8). I spent more than I wanted to on the basement and I can't swing all of the equipment this year, some of it will have to wait until next year. I borrowed a buddies 7.1 Denon receiver so I can push off the purchase of a receiver which will eventually be something like the Denon X4500H, until next year. I have a budget of around 1.5-2k for the first set of speakers and while I want something that sounds pretty good, I'm definitely a price/performance guy. Ideally these are speakers I could purchase/demo locally at something like a Best Buy if possible.
I'm looking for suggestions on which 5 or so speakers to pick up first, and specific speaker recommendations. I was thinking the 3 fronts, and the 2 side speakers, possibly a sub as well first? The other 6-7 speakers I will pick up sometime next year, probably starting with the in-ceiling and finishing with the rears. I want something that will sound decent and I also really want to fill in the holes on the sides. This home theater will mostly be movies and video games, probably a 50/50 split. Reading through a few posts, and it sounds like I may be able to save some money by buying bookshelf speakers for the L/R speakers? I won't be blaring music, so does that defeat the purpose of getting towers? I was thinking Klipsch all around? Give you an idea of what I'm thinking, I'm definitely open to suggestions:

1. L/R - https://www.crutchfield.com/p_714RP1...ny.html?tp=186
2. C - https://www.crutchfield.com/p_714RP2...ny.html?tp=189
3. Side - https://www.crutchfield.com/p_714R36...3650-W-II.html
4. Sub - open to suggestions? This is something I'm not against purchasing online.

Thanks for your time.
The problem you'll have in a space that large is subwoofers. You'll need at least 2 HSU VTF-3 MK5 to fill a 6800^3 room. Speakers won't be much of an issue if you seating is <10-12 from the screen. You could just get an HSU Hybrid 3 package and add a 2nd sub later. HSU speakers will be similar to Klipsch, but without the brightness Klipsch is known for.
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hybrid3hppkg.html
Zorba922 likes this.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, Kef Kube 10B (X2) , Denon AVR-X3400H, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 26 Old 10-08-2018, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 20,741
Mentioned: 248 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9813 Post(s)
Liked: 6836
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
The problem you'll have in a space that large is subwoofers. You'll need at least 2 HSU VTF-3 MK5 to fill a 6800^3 room. Speakers won't be much of an issue if you seating is <10-12 from the screen. You could just get an HSU Hybrid 3 package and add a 2nd sub later. HSU speakers will be similar to Klipsch, but without the brightness Klipsch is known for.
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hybrid3hppkg.html
You are "technically" correct on the subwoofers BUT back in the day before we built out our main HT room that was once part of the garage, my main HT was in a room exactly the size of the OP's and a single sealed 15" servo sub with a 400 watt amp shook the room and provided solid extension and impact below 20hz, (it was a Velodyne ULD15).

So, for me, in that room, any of these subs would deliver similar results keeping in mind that ported subs play twice as loud as a similar sized sealed sub.

And if one did not, two most certainly would but I'd start with just one.

500watts =15w19h20d= 72 lbs 10" [20hz] $500 MONOPRICE MONOLITH THX 10"

300watts =16w22h21d= 69 lbs* 12" [19hz] $549 RHYTHMIK LV12R

350watts =15w21h22d= 62 lbs 12" [18hz] $607 HSU VTF2 MK5, (extension from Audioholics review)

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is online now  
post #5 of 26 Old 10-08-2018, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 14,755
Mentioned: 275 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8332 Post(s)
Liked: 6383
Quote:
Originally Posted by InYourFace View Post
I have a budget of around 1.5-2k for the first set of speakers and while I want something that sounds pretty good, I'm definitely a price/performance guy. Ideally these are speakers I could purchase/demo locally at something like a Best Buy if possible.
This home theater will mostly be movies and video games, probably a 50/50 split. Reading through a few posts, and it sounds like I may be able to save some money by buying bookshelf speakers for the L/R speakers?

1. L/R - https://www.crutchfield.com/p_714RP1...ny.html?tp=186
2. C - https://www.crutchfield.com/p_714RP2...ny.html?tp=189
3. Side - https://www.crutchfield.com/p_714R36...3650-W-II.html
4. Sub - open to suggestions? This is something I'm not against purchasing online.
If you are REALLY into "price/performance" then I would not bother going to Best Buy or any local boutique shop to be honest, and Klipsch RP would not be my first choice. In a whopping 17 x 45' room, it's the subwoofers that will take up most of your budget...I would start with a single VTF-3 at minimum, and probably add a second one later one. AND I would not buy into the "timbre matching" dogma but go with much less expensive speakers for your surrounds and Atmos (the front 3 do 80-90% of the output so THAT is where your budget should focus on, after the sub).

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
post #6 of 26 Old 10-09-2018, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 20,741
Mentioned: 248 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9813 Post(s)
Liked: 6836
Quote:
Originally Posted by InYourFace View Post
Thanks for your time.
Beware of the "no way can anything smaller than the size of a fridge isn't enough" argument when it comes to subwoofers and absolutely, positively make a cardboard mockup of any sub you are considering.

I don't buy the "you can't start with anything smaller than a =17w24h22d= subwoofer" mantra that is prevalent on AVS.

It is hugely expensive to return a subwoofer and, in general, two smaller quality subs are better than a single larger quality sub...especially in larger spaces.

So don't be afraid to start with a single large room rated subwoofer, (Monoprice 10" THX, Rhythmik LV12r, HSU VTF2) in your space vs something like the VTF3 which is 60 percent larger than the already large Monoprice 10" THX.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is online now  
post #7 of 26 Old 10-09-2018, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
InYourFace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Your center and L/R choice are fine with either $10/box returns at Crutchfield or free returns at Best Buy but I'm not sure if they are carrying those any more. If they are they will price match Crutchfield.

As to the in walls I'd get, for the same price, the superior "matching" Pro RP in walls.

https://nationwidestereo.com/product...SABEgJ42fD_BwE

Here are the best choices for subs IMHO; pay close attention to the cabinet size so you don't get shocked at how big some of the powerful ported subs can be.

PORTED SUBWOOFERS $600 AND BELOW, DELIVERED


NOTE:
*IF LOOKING AT LARGER/MORE EXPENSIVE SUBWOOFERS ADD PSA TO THE LIST OF BRANDS
*IF YOU ARE NOT AN ACTION MOVIE FAN A SUBWOOFER WITH 22-30HZ EXTENSION WOULD BE FINE
*FOR MUSIC A 30HZ SUB IS A FINE CHOICE

Specs are from the manufacturer unless noted otherwise.

150watts =11w18h13d= 18 lbs 8" [28hz] $199 EMOTIVA BASX S8

200watts =14w16h16d= 34 lbs 10" [27hz] $299 EMOTIVA BASX S10

350watts =15w16h17d= 40 lbs 10" [30hz] $399 RSL SPEEDWOOFER 10S, (extension from Sound & Vision review)

200watts =14w15h15d= 32 lbs 10" [25hz] $450 ELAC DEBUT 2.0 SUB3010, (extension from Sound & Vision review)
NOTE: THIS SUB HAS PHONE APP EQ FOR THE SUB

250watts =15w19h17d= 42 lbs 10" [25hz] $455 HSU VTF 1 MK3 (extension from Audioholics review)

300watts =15w19h20d= 46 lbs 10" [18hz] $499 SVS PB1000, (extension from Sound & Vision Review)

500watts =15w19h20d= 72 lbs 10" [20hz] $500 MONOPRICE MONOLITH THX 10"

300watts =16w22h21d= 69 lbs* 12" [19hz] $549 RHYTHMIK LV12R

350watts =15w21h22d= 62 lbs 12" [18hz] $607 HSU VTF2 MK5, (extension from Audioholics review)

* = shipping weight
With hz, I assume lower is better? How would you compare the ELAC to the SVS? Is there a minimum sub size I should be looking at in my space? While I would prefer to get only one, I am open to adding a 2nd down the line.
InYourFace is offline  
post #8 of 26 Old 10-09-2018, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
InYourFace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
If you are REALLY into "price/performance" then I would not bother going to Best Buy or any local boutique shop to be honest, and Klipsch RP would not be my first choice. In a whopping 17 x 45' room, it's the subwoofers that will take up most of your budget...I would start with a single VTF-3 at minimum, and probably add a second one later one. AND I would not buy into the "timbre matching" dogma but go with much less expensive speakers for your surrounds and Atmos (the front 3 do 80-90% of the output so THAT is where your budget should focus on, after the sub).
What other speaker brands would you suggest? I've tried to look at a few of the brands suggested around here, but not all of them have an in-wall and in-ceiling speaker. Should I just get different brands for those speakers? I'm mostly using Klipsch as barometer for the level of speaker I want, I'm not tied to them in anyway, something that sounds pretty good for the money. On the Best Buy front, I'm hoping to price match if I find something cheaper and I also want easy/no hassle returns.
InYourFace is offline  
post #9 of 26 Old 10-09-2018, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 20,741
Mentioned: 248 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9813 Post(s)
Liked: 6836
Quote:
Originally Posted by InYourFace View Post
What other speaker brands would you suggest? I've tried to look at a few of the brands suggested around here, but not all of them have an in-wall and in-ceiling speaker. Should I just get different brands for those speakers? I'm mostly using Klipsch as barometer for the level of speaker I want, I'm not tied to them in anyway, something that sounds pretty good for the money. On the Best Buy front, I'm hoping to price match if I find something cheaper and I also want easy/no hassle returns.
At best buy Polk Signature, JBL or Elac.

Many of us find that using good quality speakers of a different brand for surrounds is just fine.

As to subs, give us detail about your space and listening preference including for subwoofers.

But on that list, the more money you spend the larger the space you can fill with sound up to a limit.

If a large room two of them might be necessary but the nice thing about two in budget quality subs is you can start with just one.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is online now  
post #10 of 26 Old 10-10-2018, 04:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dawn Gordon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Jupiter, FL
Posts: 1,380
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by InYourFace View Post
What other speaker brands would you suggest? I've tried to look at a few of the brands suggested around here, but not all of them have an in-wall and in-ceiling speaker. Should I just get different brands for those speakers? I'm mostly using Klipsch as barometer for the level of speaker I want, I'm not tied to them in anyway, something that sounds pretty good for the money. On the Best Buy front, I'm hoping to price match if I find something cheaper and I also want easy/no hassle returns.
There's Triad. Triad speakers within a series (Bronze, Silver, Gold etc) are designed to sound the same -- cabinet characteristics, driver placement, and crossovers are all adjusted to make each speaker sonically identical. So, for example, InRoom, InWall, OnWall, and even InCeiling speakers should match one another acoustically. They will even paint the speakers to match your wall and ceiling colors.

www.triadspeakers.com

What is your speaker budget? Triad starts at about $400 per speaker.

________________________________________

[email protected]
Dawn Gordon is offline  
post #11 of 26 Old 10-10-2018, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 14,755
Mentioned: 275 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8332 Post(s)
Liked: 6383
Quote:
Originally Posted by InYourFace View Post
What other speaker brands would you suggest? I've tried to look at a few of the brands suggested around here, but not all of them have an in-wall and in-ceiling speaker. Should I just get different brands for those speakers? I'm mostly using Klipsch as barometer for the level of speaker I want, I'm not tied to them in anyway, something that sounds pretty good for the money. On the Best Buy front, I'm hoping to price match if I find something cheaper and I also want easy/no hassle returns.
Yes, I would not hesitate to use different brands for your in-wall or in-ceiling surrounds/Atmos speakers. They do such a miniscule % of the output (5-10% usually) that the "timbre matching" folklore become even more irrelevant there. If you have a limited budget like most folks, I would spend most of the money on the front 3 (especially the center) and subwoofer(s), and as little as $50 apiece for the surrounds and Atmos speakers, especially if they are in-wall/in-ceiling.

However, if you strongly prefer to have same brand speakers all around, I'd look at Hsu, JBL, HTD, and RSL are some good options with high bang for the buck.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
post #12 of 26 Old 10-11-2018, 02:58 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
InYourFace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
At best buy Polk Signature, JBL or Elac.

Many of us find that using good quality speakers of a different brand for surrounds is just fine.

As to subs, give us detail about your space and listening preference including for subwoofers.

But on that list, the more money you spend the larger the space you can fill with sound up to a limit.

If a large room two of them might be necessary but the nice thing about two in budget quality subs is you can start with just one.
I'm definitely an Action Movie fan. I don't have a whole lot of exposure to subwoofers in a home theater, I have a basic soundbar/sub upstairs in my living room. Do you think something like the SVS 12" SB1000 would be big enough to start with? What is the difference between the SB1000 and SB2000 outside more watt's? I've been reading a bit about ported vs sealed, and I think I would prefer sealed based on the description. Worse case I'm not satisfied with the amount of bass in whatever I pick up now and I can pick up a 2nd next year.
InYourFace is offline  
post #13 of 26 Old 10-11-2018, 06:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Elihawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
Posts: 6,300
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2064 Post(s)
Liked: 2234
You need two subwoofers, so i would have an overall budget of 1000-1500 for subwoofers. Of course, you can buy one now and buy one later. Ported for the extra output for your large room.

Have you heard Klipsch before? good speakers, don't get me wrong, but some of us find their more forward/dynamic tweeter, well, not as pleasing to the ears as other tweeter types. So listen to Klipsch before you buy...you may really like them (and not a ten minute Best buy listen)! Lots of great speaker choices that won't break the bank...

The Denon X4500 if something like 1500 dollars on Amazon. Since most AV enthusiastic suggest you spend 3-4 times the cost of your electronics on speakers and subs, can we assume your overall total budget is 7500-8000 dollars? you might be able to cut the expense of your AV rec in half with some looking around, however, I am not familar with 7.1.4 rec and how much they cost. Just don't overspend on the AV rec versus your speakers/subs.

All just my opinion...

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Integra AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech CA Aero 2, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Slimline AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Integra AV receiver
Elihawk is online now  
post #14 of 26 Old 10-11-2018, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 14,755
Mentioned: 275 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8332 Post(s)
Liked: 6383
Quote:
Originally Posted by InYourFace View Post
I'm definitely an Action Movie fan. I don't have a whole lot of exposure to subwoofers in a home theater, I have a basic soundbar/sub upstairs in my living room. Do you think something like the SVS 12" SB1000 would be big enough to start with? What is the difference between the SB1000 and SB2000 outside more watt's? I've been reading a bit about ported vs sealed, and I think I would prefer sealed based on the description. Worse case I'm not satisfied with the amount of bass in whatever I pick up now and I can pick up a 2nd next year.
Only consider sealed subs if MUSIC not HT is your #1 usage, *and* if you have a small room. Otherwise you are taking a big chance on not having enough sub, which is far far worse than having too much.

If you go SVS then stick to the PB1000 or PB2000. Don't worry about size, just stick it in a corner and you're good to go.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
post #15 of 26 Old 10-11-2018, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Elihawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
Posts: 6,300
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2064 Post(s)
Liked: 2234
Yes, with subwoofer, size means output. A small enclosure is not capable of large output (or at least that is what my Physics text book told me).

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Integra AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech CA Aero 2, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Slimline AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Integra AV receiver
Elihawk is online now  
post #16 of 26 Old 10-11-2018, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 20,741
Mentioned: 248 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9813 Post(s)
Liked: 6836
Quote:
Originally Posted by InYourFace View Post
I'm definitely an Action Movie fan. I don't have a whole lot of exposure to subwoofers in a home theater, I have a basic soundbar/sub upstairs in my living room. Do you think something like the SVS 12" SB1000 would be big enough to start with? What is the difference between the SB1000 and SB2000 outside more watt's? I've been reading a bit about ported vs sealed, and I think I would prefer sealed based on the description. Worse case I'm not satisfied with the amount of bass in whatever I pick up now and I can pick up a 2nd next year.
I'm a huge sealed sub fan; I've owned 15" sealed servo subs for decades and one is more than enough in my 200 sq/ft room that opens up at the right rear to a 400 sq/ft kitchen.

Keep in mind that you would likely need two 15" sealed servo subs for your much larger space though.

An SB1000 would be woefully inadequate, (SVS would tell you that themselves) as would an SB2000 but at least the latter is worth considering just for learning purposes as it is the only band that will allow you to return it to them with no shipping charge. In reality the sealed sub they sell that might be decent in your room costs $1500 for the 13.5" SB4000.

The least expensive 15" sealed sub runs about $850 for the HSU ULS-15 which is the same price as the ported HSU VTF3 MK which will play 6db louder below 31.5hz which is significant.

A 15" sealed servo is closer to $1250.

The vast majority of folks go with ported as they offer more volume per dollar and many ported subs, like the HSU can actually be tuned in many different ways including being completely sealed.

No question ported cabinets are much much larger though.

But maybe the safest bet is for you to try the SB2000 just to see how inadequate it will be...or not.

Some people simply don't want or need as much subwoofer bass presence as others.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is online now  
post #17 of 26 Old 10-12-2018, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
InYourFace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
You need two subwoofers, so i would have an overall budget of 1000-1500 for subwoofers. Of course, you can buy one now and buy one later. Ported for the extra output for your large room.

Have you heard Klipsch before? good speakers, don't get me wrong, but some of us find their more forward/dynamic tweeter, well, not as pleasing to the ears as other tweeter types. So listen to Klipsch before you buy...you may really like them (and not a ten minute Best buy listen)! Lots of great speaker choices that won't break the bank...

The Denon X4500 if something like 1500 dollars on Amazon. Since most AV enthusiastic suggest you spend 3-4 times the cost of your electronics on speakers and subs, can we assume your overall total budget is 7500-8000 dollars? you might be able to cut the expense of your AV rec in half with some looking around, however, I am not familar with 7.1.4 rec and how much they cost. Just don't overspend on the AV rec versus your speakers/subs.

All just my opinion...
The Denon X4500(or 4400 last year) seem to go on sale this time of year for about 800. I plan on spending less than 1000 on a receiver, so yes, my eventual budget for speakers is around 3500 give or take. I can only spend about half of that right now though, that is why I'm only looking at 5 or so speakers of the eventual 12 or so I plan on getting(7.1[2].4). I know I definitely want to pick up the front 3 right now, I was also hoping to get the 2 sides to fill in a couple of holes in my wall I have.
InYourFace is offline  
post #18 of 26 Old 10-12-2018, 03:14 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
InYourFace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Only consider sealed subs if MUSIC not HT is your #1 usage, *and* if you have a small room. Otherwise you are taking a big chance on not having enough sub, which is far far worse than having too much.

If you go SVS then stick to the PB1000 or PB2000. Don't worry about size, just stick it in a corner and you're good to go.
Thanks for the input! Music is definitely not my #1 , I'll definitely be going ported. If I go the SVS route probably the larger PB2000.
InYourFace is offline  
post #19 of 26 Old 10-12-2018, 03:17 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
InYourFace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I know this time of year a lot of electronics have huge sales. Do these speaker brands go on sale as well(SVS, HSU, Best Buy)? Should I wait until after black friday to purchase this first set of speakers? Or are these type/brands of speakers not usually discounted like other electronics?
InYourFace is offline  
post #20 of 26 Old 10-12-2018, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 14,755
Mentioned: 275 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8332 Post(s)
Liked: 6383
Quote:
Originally Posted by InYourFace View Post
I know this time of year a lot of electronics have huge sales. Do these speaker brands go on sale as well(SVS, HSU, Best Buy)? Should I wait until after black friday to purchase this first set of speakers? Or are these type/brands of speakers not usually discounted like other electronics?
SVS has good B-stock sales on/around Black Friday. In previous years, previously "discontinued" models mysteriously came back on market, either on the SVS website or via 3rd party sellers on Amazon, like the SB-12 and PB12 for just $400.

Hsu has BF sales too, though their discounts are usually not that dramatic...typically, $30-40 off each subwoofer, or maybe $20 off per speaker. Probably because they already are sold at reasonable rather than high markups.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
post #21 of 26 Old 10-12-2018, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 20,741
Mentioned: 248 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9813 Post(s)
Liked: 6836
Quote:
Originally Posted by InYourFace View Post
I know this time of year a lot of electronics have huge sales. Do these speaker brands go on sale as well(SVS, HSU, Best Buy)? Should I wait until after black friday to purchase this first set of speakers? Or are these type/brands of speakers not usually discounted like other electronics?
The speakers you mentioned in your first post are already as discounted as they are likely to be unless you are willing to go factory refurbished.

https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-RP-16.../dp/B071ZSZKYY

Factory refurbished, or "b stock" as some vendors call it, is a solid way to go.

https://www.svsound.com/collections/...SABEgKPE_D_BwE

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is online now  
post #22 of 26 Old 10-13-2018, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
InYourFace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
The speakers you mentioned in your first post are already as discounted as they are likely to be unless you are willing to go factory refurbished.

https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-RP-16.../dp/B071ZSZKYY

Factory refurbished, or "b stock" as some vendors call it, is a solid way to go.

https://www.svsound.com/collections/...SABEgKPE_D_BwE
What do you think of the JBL 590s? Reading around they are pretty good speakers and are on sale for half off. If I decide to pick those up, should I also get a JBL center? If so do you think the 520C or 235C would be a better choice?
InYourFace is offline  
post #23 of 26 Old 10-14-2018, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 20,741
Mentioned: 248 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9813 Post(s)
Liked: 6836
Quote:
Originally Posted by InYourFace View Post
What do you think of the JBL 590s? Reading around they are pretty good speakers and are on sale for half off. If I decide to pick those up, should I also get a JBL center? If so do you think the 520C or 235C would be a better choice?
I'd get the 520c with the same compression driver as the 590s.

Lots of fans of that JBL line on AVS.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is online now  
post #24 of 26 Old 10-14-2018, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
InYourFace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just pulled the trigger on two 590s and a 520c, I like that I can get free return shipping if I don't like them. Sounds like the 590s get pretty good reviews, the only thing that worries me is the 520c.

Sub-wise, what do you think between the SVS PB-2000($800) and the HSU VTF-3 MK5($800)?
InYourFace is offline  
post #25 of 26 Old 10-14-2018, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jjackkrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,276
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 2336
Quote:
Originally Posted by InYourFace View Post
I just pulled the trigger on two 590s and a 520c, I like that I can get free return shipping if I don't like them. Sounds like the 590s get pretty good reviews, the only thing that worries me is the 520c.

Sub-wise, what do you think between the SVS PB-2000($800) and the HSU VTF-3 MK5($800)?
The 15" HSU. if you are going 12", the Monoprice Monolith 12" has been on sale on eBay recently for $635, but you need to jump when you see one of those deals.
jjackkrash is offline  
post #26 of 26 Old 10-15-2018, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 20,741
Mentioned: 248 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9813 Post(s)
Liked: 6836
Quote:
Originally Posted by InYourFace View Post
I just pulled the trigger on two 590s and a 520c, I like that I can get free return shipping if I don't like them. Sounds like the 590s get pretty good reviews, the only thing that worries me is the 520c.

Sub-wise, what do you think between the SVS PB-2000($800) and the HSU VTF-3 MK5($800)?
The 15" 600 watt HSU with numerous EQ choices is actually $895.

Assuming the larger cabinet isn't an issue it is a better single sub choice than the 500 watt 12" SVS with no EQ options built in.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off