Need help in deciding on Chanes A2.4 or A5.4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By matpal
  • 1 Post By Rustproofcorn
  • 3 Post By mpk1970
  • 1 Post By aarons915

post #1 of 17 Old 10-12-2018, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Need help in deciding on Chanes A2.4 or A5.4

My questions are regarding a 7.1 setup, primarily (95%+) for home theater usage in about a 19*13 room with 9ft ceilings.

I was looking at getting the A2.4 for the front Soundstage, but really like the look of the tower speakers and I'm considering the A5.4 for L/R with the A2.4 for the center.

In your opinion would the 5.4s provide that much of a benefit over the 2.4s, or even more importantly, would they be detrimental in breaking up the unity of the front Soundstage?

Also, given my room size and usage, I am unsure if the best fit for the side and rear surrounds... to use the smaller A1.4s, keep everything the same and use 2.4s all the way around, or a combination thereof.

As I am new to home theater and audio in general, I am probably not as discerning as some of you here, but obviously would like the best setup possible at this approximate price range.
rossandwendy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-12-2018, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked: 854
I personally always like to get identical speakers for LCR and from everything I've read, the A2.4 has more output than you'll ever need for home theater so that would be my choice, this is assuming a good subwoofer setup of course. If you have the room, you could always do three towers across the front but I know most of us don't have a setup that allows for that.
post #3 of 17 Old 10-12-2018, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 309
if you are doing 90% HT, then you probably won't see significant improvement going with towers over bookshelf speakers unless you aren't using a subwoofer for now, in which case definitely go wit hth towers. However, using Bookshelf speakers in the front may require you to purchase speaker stands for proper placement. The additional cost of the stands may make towers a more cost effective solution. 5 identical speakers would generally be the ideal solution but your situation and budget would determine what is best for you. The A1.4 and basically 2.4's with only on woofer so you should be fine mixing and matching speakers to make your system work for you.

It sounds like you have a fairly healthy budget but another idea that could save some money would be to go with 1.4's for the fronts and surrounds, 2.4 for the center, and use the savings to invest in a killer male-enhancing sub like a PSA or other similar brand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 10-12-2018, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1515 Post(s)
Liked: 2919
For what your looking for (subs) will contribute the most in good home theater. Can you confirm a couple things,,,,,, Sub budget/how many seats in your theater and rows (if any). Imo A 2.4's all around would be Killer with a couple good capable subs. Just depends what your end goal/expectation are/volume levels and so on.

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Funk 21.0LX Master/Slave combo 4800 watts RMS/9600watts (peak)-
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
-Chane A-1.4 side/rear surrounds.
post #5 of 17 Old 10-12-2018, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input so far, guys.

I'm almost certain the sub will be the VTF-3 MK5 HP, and would love to add a secondary as funds permit.

Regarding the speaker stands for bookshelves, I had the same thought in that is I was going to spend $500, I'd rather that be for a speaker instead of a $100 worth of stands figured in. Maybe I'm way off, not sure. But I'd rather have the cohesiveness if that means A2.4s all the way across if for some reason the A5.4 does not pair well with the center.

We'll have two rows of seating, either two and three or three and three.

Space does dictate, though, that the second row of seats will be fairly close to the rear wall, so I'd assume that will also factor in what speakers should be used as rear surrounds.
post #6 of 17 Old 10-12-2018, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1515 Post(s)
Liked: 2919
Quote:
Originally Posted by matpal View Post

I'm almost certain the sub will be the VTF-3 MK5 HP, and would love to add a secondary as funds permit.

Regarding the speaker stands for bookshelves, I had the same thought in that is I was going to spend $500, I'd rather that be for a speaker instead of a $100 worth of stands figured in. Maybe I'm way off, not sure. But I'd rather have the cohesiveness if that means A2.4s all the way across if for some reason the A5.4 does not pair well with the center.

Space does dictate, though, that the second row of seats will be fairly close to the rear wall, so I'd assume that will also factor in what speakers should be used as rear surrounds.
Good sub choice!! All speaker choices will pair well as long as you make a good effort to keep (all) very close in tweeter height (ears) to each other.

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Funk 21.0LX Master/Slave combo 4800 watts RMS/9600watts (peak)-
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
-Chane A-1.4 side/rear surrounds.
post #7 of 17 Old 10-12-2018, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2792 Post(s)
Liked: 2665
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarons915 View Post
I personally always like to get identical speakers for LCR and from everything I've read, the A2.4 has more output than you'll ever need for home theater so that would be my choice, this is assuming a good subwoofer setup of course. If you have the room, you could always do three towers across the front but I know most of us don't have a setup that allows for that.
There's no possible way for you to know this and unlikely true for many HTs regardless of room size.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #8 of 17 Old 10-12-2018, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 65
If budget and space aren't prime concerns then I would splurge for the A5.4. Things like YouTube and music will always be better with the towers in stereo.
post #9 of 17 Old 10-12-2018, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 29
i was asking this exact same question a few weeks ago. i opted for 5 2.4's for all around 5.1 then added some atmos enabled for the .4

2.4s are gonna kill it.
rossandwendy likes this.
post #10 of 17 Old 10-12-2018, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Have you taken delivery yet?
post #11 of 17 Old 10-13-2018, 01:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quoted: 3579 Post(s)
Liked: 3019
Quote:

If you can budget in the towers without compromising on the sub(s), by all means get the 5.4`s. That said, the 2.4`s with dual VTF-2 MK5`s will easily fill that room and kick your a$$ at movie time.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, Kef Kube 10B (X2) , Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216 THX, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #12 of 17 Old 10-13-2018, 06:32 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Have you taken delivery yet?
I have not. originally i thought i purchased a week earlier because my wife said she would. When i asked if they had arrived yet she said she had forgotten. so i just purchased on the 10th and they will be there on the 18th now. Im still at work until the 25th.
post #13 of 17 Old 10-13-2018, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
There's no possible way for you to know this and unlikely true for many HTs regardless of room size.
That's why we generalize, since we don't know for sure a particular users listening levels. But for 80Hz and up, in 99% of rooms, the A2.4 is more than enough. Most people watch movies at 75-85db, which is easy for the A2.4, a 3rd woofer adds 3 db over the 2 woofers in the A2, not exactly game changing. Towers are probably better for 2 channel stereo but are mostly a waste for home theater.
post #14 of 17 Old 10-13-2018, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1366 Post(s)
Liked: 1565
My opinion

I was a bookshelf guy, now since getting towers I cant see myself going back to books for several reasons:

1) I dont (and I bet 90% of ppl dont) always have subs on, so to get some good bass w/o subs is something I overlooked

2) Fuller, more dynamic audio

3) I think they look better, unless you can somehow manipulate books to where they integrate perfectly in your setup to make them aesthetically pleasing

4) ppl say towers a waste in HT however, get towers you will see they are not

I say if you like towers go with them you will like em
yanks1, Lp85253 and ttn333 like this.

Set up #1 Speakers LR: Tekton Enzo XL ; Center: Tekton Pendragon Subs (2) 2019 JTR 118HTs
Set up #2 : QA3020i LR, Center: Emotiva C1 Subs (2) HSU VTF2 MK5,
post #15 of 17 Old 10-13-2018, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 855
I have both; I prefer the towers.. cleaner look & more slam even with sub

Primary set-up 5.2.4; Yamaha A2050, Paired w/Parasound P5 & ATI 522NC 2 channel amp
Revel F206 fronts & Revel M16 rears; 2 Outlaw X12 Subs & 4 RSL C34e in-ceilings

Secondary 5.1: Denon S900W, Polk LSiM703/704C, Polk RC80i in-ceiling rears, RSL Speedwoofer 10s
post #16 of 17 Old 10-13-2018, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpk1970 View Post
My opinion

I was a bookshelf guy, now since getting towers I cant see myself going back to books for several reasons:

1) I dont (and I bet 90% of ppl dont) always have subs on, so to get some good bass w/o subs is something I overlooked

2) Fuller, more dynamic audio

3) I think they look better, unless you can somehow manipulate books to where they integrate perfectly in your setup to make them aesthetically pleasing

4) ppl say towers a waste in HT however, get towers you will see they are not

I say if you like towers go with them you will like em
I was the opposite, I was always a tower guy and actually the ARX A1b at the time were my first bookshelf speakers. I was surprised that they were much clearer than my towers and gave nothing up in the bass after properly blending in a sub. I even picked up a pair of used ARX A5 towers a few months later just to see if I was missing anything, the A5 towers were great as well but with subs they were unnecessary in my situation. It has a lot to do with how loud you listen though, I'm usually between 75-85db which are well in the range of A1s, but I know there are some who listen at levels that do permanent hearing damage, towers might be necessary for them.

What towers will never achieve compared to a nice dual subwoofer setup is room mode manipulation, towers (or bookshelves) have to be placed where they sound best for good imaging and soundstaging, subs can be placed where they smooth out the bass in the room, they'll also play louder with less distortion than towers in their operating range. I completely understand some people just like the look of towers but I'm just saying even with towers, I'd still have a good subwoofer setup and crossover at 80Hz. For people who listening to 2 channel without subs I agree towers are beneficial over bookshelves.
Zorba922 likes this.
post #17 of 17 Old 10-14-2018, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 193
So let me sum up briefly
System A: 2x bookshelves front+ 1 center + 2x rear + 1 or 2 good sub(s)
System B: 2x towers front + 1 center + 2x rear + 1 or 2 good sub(s)
System A and system B are identical except the front.
Front choice means Chane A2.4 vs Chane A5.4 or Ascend Sierra 2 vs Ascend Sierra Tower. It does not mean Chane A2.4 vs Sierra Tower or vice versa.

It looks like system B will win if budget and space are not concerned.
Reason? All listed in many previous posts.
Any legitimated objection?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page