AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Speakers (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/)
-   -   JBL Studio 590 or Emotiva Airmotiv T2 Pair or SVS Prime Tower Speakers (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/3009770-jbl-studio-590-emotiva-airmotiv-t2-pair-svs-prime-tower-speakers.html)

Mamasboy 10-12-2018 12:58 PM

JBL Studio 590 or Emotiva Airmotiv T2 Pair or SVS Prime Tower Speakers

1 Attachment(s)
I have been wishing to upgrade my Quad-lite front left right bookshelf speakers for my 7.1.2 system for a while with two good tower speakers. However, we just upgraded to a big new house and and have the extra expenses of everything that comes with that so cash for entertainment equipment is tight and it would be difficult justifying new speakers with boss (wife).

Anyway, out of the blue yesterday someone just bought a domain I purchased years ago on a whim for $5000, so I can now contribute ~$3000 to the house no-fun fund and use what remains on some nice tower speakers.

I have been reading and bookmarking speakers for a while on this forum and the 3 in the this post title had some good comments so they are the speakers I am considering. I know they are all very nice but what would you buy if you came into some mad money. All but the JBL offer a auditioning window but I would prefer not to have to ship big speakers back.

Here are the direct links:

JBL Studio 590 on sale for 50% off: https://www.jbl.com/loudspeakers/STUDIO+590.html

Emotiva Airmotiv T2 Pair: https://emotiva.com/collections/loud...ts/airmotiv-t2

SVS Prime Tower Speakers: https://www.svsound.com/collections/...ts/prime-tower

They will be used with my new Onkyo TX-RZ920 and 82.5% for home theater use.

I plan on continuing to use my Quad sub-woofer with these (not sure if that is needed or wise) opinions welcome.

The money is burning a hole in my pocket, so help a brother out before the JBLs go up to $999 each again.

*** If there are towers in the same price range that would be an even better choice, please let me know.

BTW: My HT room is very large - around 22 x 28 feet the HT is set up in the corner of the room shown in the photo.

wassup 10-12-2018 02:13 PM

now

Mamasboy 10-12-2018 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wassup (Post 56946184)
now

I guess I am leaning toward the JBL 590s but maybe that is their marketing strategy to price them at $1000 each, then running 50% off sales to make me think I am getting an amazing deal.

I hear good things about the T2s, and some thing the SVS is more hype.

So right now my order is

JBL
Emotiva
SVS

My luck, I'll decide on the JBLs and they will be back up to $1000 each.

edwardccm 10-12-2018 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mamasboy (Post 56946446)
I guess I am leaning toward the JBL 590s but maybe that is their marketing strategy to price them at $1000 each, then running 50% off sales to make me think I am getting an amazing deal.

I hear good things about the T2s, and some thing the SVS is more hype.

So right now my order is

JBL
Emotiva
SVS

My luck, I'll decide on the JBLs and they will be back up to $1000 each.

I personally have not heard any of the speakers you listed but if you're gonna upgrade the front you should also upgrade the center and the Emotiva C2 center is an absolutely amazing speaker. Based on that alone i would ahead and purchase the T2 with C2 Center. Additionally a friend of mines recently purchased the SVS Ultra center and after hearing my Emotiva C2 he decided to return the SVS and buy the emotiva.

On the other hand JBL does have free returns and if you are anything but happy you can return them for full refund.

Additionally spending some money on a better sub would be ideal. That quadlite sub seems to be extremly small from what i just searched for maybe something from HSU or SVS.

bommai 10-12-2018 03:36 PM

Get the 590s. If you don’t like it ship it back for free. I have had it for two years and love them for both home theater and music. Let them break in for a week before judging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lp85253 10-12-2018 03:53 PM

scratch the svs and do a comparison between the jbl's and emo's... i am pretty sure they will both be better than the prime level svs... just my thoughts :)

Mamasboy 10-12-2018 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lp85253 (Post 56946672)
scratch the svs and do a comparison between the jbl's and emo's... i am pretty sure they will both be better than the prime level svs... just my thoughts :)

Just ordered the tried and true JBLs. I can send back but I am sure they will be fine and better than what I have.

mpk1970 10-12-2018 09:41 PM

Get them both
Compare
Max $80 return
Many fan boys of 590
They good buttttt
What do they have that matches with C2?

Nada

Lp85253 10-12-2018 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mamasboy (Post 56947848)
Just ordered the tried and true JBLs. I can send back but I am sure they will be fine and better than what I have.

very nice.. happy listening...

Molon_Labe 10-13-2018 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mamasboy (Post 56947848)

The 590 is a great speaker. It is part of the JBL Synthesis line and is the last speaker that Greg Timbers designed. The fit and finish leaves a bit to be desired, but you will be hard pressed to find anything to best it in it's price range. I currently run seven of them for my floor/base channels. Drop into the Studio 5 thread and leave your feedback. Looking forward to your review and welcome to the JBL family.

Mamasboy 10-13-2018 10:04 AM

Ok, 590s are on the way. I figure I better upgrade from my cheaper Polk Audio T30 center I purchased for $70 on a black friday sale.

I had my eye on a JBL center but they are too wide for my entertainment center cabinet. The max width is 19 inches - the polk speaker barely fits.

Looking around, I see Klipsch has several smaller center speakers that seem to be very highly rated.

Anyone know if a Klipsch center like the rp-r400 or RP-250C would work with the JBLs?

I don't know how important matching the center speaker to the towers is to the listening experience.

The Studio 520C probably would be ideal but is 22" wide and would not fit so would need to sit on top of my cabinet, which I don't want.

For home theater, the center is the most important speaker and I think I am cheating myself with the nice but lower end Polk speaker.

If Klipsch and JBL are not very compatible, any suggestions of centers I should look at?

Lp85253 10-13-2018 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mamasboy (Post 56950880)
Ok, 590s are on the way. I figure I better upgrade from my cheaper Polk Audio T30 center I purchased for $70 on a black friday sale.

I had my eye on a JBL center but they are too wide for my entertainment center cabinet. The max width is 19 inches - the polk speaker barely fits.

Looking around, I see Klipsch has several smaller center speakers that seem to be very highly rated.

Anyone know if a Klipsch center like the rp-r400 or RP-250C would work with the JBLs?

I don't know how important matching the center speaker to the towers is to the listening experience.

The Studio 520C probably would be ideal but is 22" wide and would not fit so would need to sit on top of my cabinet, which I don't want.

For home theater, the center is the most important speaker and I think I am cheating myself with the nice but lower end Polk speaker.

If Klipsch and JBL are not very compatible, any suggestions of centers I should look at?

do you have room for an upright bookshelf ?.. if so they work well...

Mamasboy 10-13-2018 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lp85253 (Post 56950984)
do you have room for an upright bookshelf ?.. if so they work well...

No, space is about 19 wide x 8 ht x 10 deep

I am open to any brand high quality speaker that will fit my space.

Zorba922 10-13-2018 11:02 AM

Quote:

It's not. Unless you are in the habit of upmixing stereo music sources into multi-channel for some odd reason. Otherwise, for HT the main thing you need from a center is VOICE CLARITY. Polk centers, with the exception of the 3 way LSi ones, are not known for doing even that very well, especially the CS 10/20 ones which are the second most complained about centers on this forum.

Quote:

Yes you are. The center does 80-90% of the HT output and 99% of the dialogue. With a $5K budget and 83% HT usage, I would get rid of your current TV cabinet in a heartbeat, and get one that would allow you to get a REALLY good, full sized center like the Emotiva C2.

Kini62 10-13-2018 11:09 AM

Quote:

The RP250C would be a huge upgrade over the polk and has enough output to keep up with the towers. Just cross it over at 100-120hz. That's where I cross mine at.

Lp85253 10-13-2018 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mamasboy (Post 56951056)
No, space is about 19 wide x 8 ht x 10 deep

I am open to any brand high quality speaker that will fit my space.

that's a tough space to be limited to.. i can't think of anything off hand that would be worthy of your new l/r's.. somebody will have an answer.. the polk has to go though , imo , it just won't cut it ..you might be best running a phantom center..

Mamasboy 10-13-2018 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorba922 (Post 56951102)
It's not. Unless you are in the habit of upmixing stereo music sources into multi-channel for some odd reason. Otherwise, for HT the main thing you need from a center is VOICE CLARITY. Polk centers, with the exception of the 3 way LSi ones, are not known for doing even that very well, especially the CS 10/20 ones which are the second most complained about centers on this forum.

Yes you are. The center does 80-90% of the HT output and 99% of the dialogue. With a $5K budget and 83% HT usage, I would get rid of your current TV cabinet in a heartbeat, and get one that would allow you to get a REALLY good, full sized center like the Emotiva C2.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kini62 (Post 56951150)
The RP250C would be a huge upgrade over the polk and has enough output to keep up with the towers. Just cross it over at 100-120hz. That's where I cross mine at.

My budget is not $5000, I just want to use a portion of it (under $1500) to do some upgrades. I just recently upgraded the reciever and added 4 ATMOS speakers so this is the finishing touch for now.

I decided I can put the center on top to of the cabinet under the TV and it will work / look ok. So the choices are:

JBL Studio 520C
JBL Studio 235C (I can get a better price on this, not sure if it is better or worse than the 520)
Klipsch RP250C (How do I cross it over at 100-120hz with my Onkyo TX-RZ920)
Anything even better in the $300 range recommended here.

I keep reading how matching timber is important on the 3 front speakers. The only way I know of this would be to get the same line of speakers. I have read, this matching of speakers is a way for one brand to convince buyers to buy all speakers in a HT setup from them.

bommai 10-13-2018 06:09 PM

I would recommend keeping the center in the same family as the mains. JBL 520c will match better than others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lp85253 10-13-2018 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mamasboy (Post 56952406)
My budget is not $5000, I just want to use a portion of it (under $1500) to do some upgrades. I just recently upgraded the reciever and added 4 ATMOS speakers so this is the finishing touch for now.

I decided I can put the center on top to of the cabinet under the TV and it will work / look ok. So the choices are:

JBL Studio 520C
JBL Studio 235C (I can get a better price on this, not sure if it is better or worse than the 520)

I keep reading how matching timber is important on the 3 front speakers. The only way I know of this would be to get the same line of speakers. I have read, this matching of speakers is a way for one brand to convince buyers to buy all speakers in a HT setup from them.

emotiva c1 .. bang for buck($250).. and pretty outstanding from most reviews.. but with the coin you dropped on the L/R's , i might go jbl...

Zorba922 10-13-2018 07:02 PM

Quote:

JBL Studio 520C

The JBLs both come with free return shipping, no harm trying out both.

The Klipsch can be easily returned at Best Buy within 15 days.

The speaker I'd gamble $30 return shipping on to test against all 3 would be the Emotiva C2 if you have the space...or its little brother the C1. IMO "timbre matching" is a silly myth, but there's really only one way for you to find out what applies to YOUR ears.

Mamasboy 10-13-2018 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorba922 (Post 56952946)

The speaker I'd gamble $30 return shipping on to test against all 3 would be the Emotiva C2 if you have the space...or its little brother the C1. IMO "timbre matching" is a silly myth, but there's really only one way for you to find out what applies to YOUR ears.

Decided on the JBL Studio 520CBK and play it safe. If for some reason I don't notice better sound than my polk I'll try some of the others.

Zorba922 10-13-2018 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mamasboy (Post 56953428)
Decided on the JBL Studio 520CBK and play it safe. If for some reason I don't notice better sound than my polk I'll try some of the others.

Good luck!

edwardccm 10-15-2018 09:13 AM

JBL Studio 590 or Emotiva Airmotiv T2 Pair or SVS Prime Tower Speakers

I agree with Zorba timber matching really isn’t as important as people make it out to be. I have a pair of Polk LSiM 705’s and i use an emotiva C2 center and the difference in timber matching isn’t as pronounced as people make it out to be. But the improvement of the C2 over the Polk offerings was significant and i owe that to Zorba because if it wasn’t for him i wouldnt have even considered the Emotiva C2. Nonetheless good luck and hope you enjoy your new system.

Quote:

JBL Studio 520C

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zieglj01 10-15-2018 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mamasboy (Post 56953428)

It will be a clear upgrade -- when you get it, notice the big surrounds on them woofers -- the JBL tweeter is nice --

Molon_Labe 10-15-2018 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zieglj01 (Post 56962340)
It will be a clear upgrade -- when you get it, notice the big surrounds on them woofers -- the JBL compression driver is nice --

Corrected ;)

zieglj01 10-15-2018 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molon_Labe (Post 56962672)
Corrected ;)

Bingo!

ack_bk 10-15-2018 04:45 PM

Jbl 590's at $499 shipped is a nobrainer... They do sound better after break-in too.

nodoubt 10-15-2018 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorba922 (Post 56952946)

if 3 trumpets were playing a trio of music, in front of you, and all were blending seamlessly, then suddenly the middle guy stuck in a mute, or covered the end in a wet blanket, would it sound ok ?
preciate the info you provide here, but man, give it a rest .
just because you cant, some CAN actually hear the difference....
its not a myth to those with the gift to hear it...

Zorba922 10-15-2018 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodoubt (Post 56964694)
if 3 trumpets were playing a trio of music, in front of you, and all were blending seamlessly, then suddenly the middle guy stuck in a mute, or covered the end in a wet blanket, would it sound ok ?

LOL, exaggerate much?

Your analogy only applies to multi-channel music. If you seriously think that a typical HT soundtrack is like putting 3 identical instruments playing at the same time on the LCR... baw-hahahahahaha!

Guess when you have no leg to stand on other than an ironclad refusal to admit that you've been had, some people will go to any length to save face.

gt4viper 10-15-2018 10:25 PM

I have the smaller 580’s and find them to be FN AMAZEBALLS.
That is all.