Anyone using Bipoles in an ATmos setup? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-18-2018, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Anyone using Bipoles in an ATmos setup?

I know that the current recommendation from Dolby is to use monopole speakers, but I'm curious as to if anyone is using dipoles in an Atmos setup and is happy with the results. It seems to me that using dipoles could be beneficial in a small room where placement is not optimal. Am I wrong here? Would they be best used as sides or rears or both?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-18-2018, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked: 1227
I use Paradigm ADPs for my sides since they're only about three feet away. They work great. They're still very directional at that distance, but not as pinpoint obvious as a direct radiator would be at that range.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-18-2018, 11:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 2331
Quote:
Originally Posted by matpal View Post
I know that the current recommendation from Dolby is to use monopole speakers, but I'm curious as to if anyone is using dipoles in an Atmos setup and is happy with the results. It seems to me that using dipoles could be beneficial in a small room where placement is not optimal. Am I wrong here? Would they be best used as sides or rears or both?
There is a difference between bipoles (thread title) and dipoles (text of post). Which did you mean to refer to?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 10-20-2018, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

My bad... Asking about bipoles in Atmos.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-20-2018, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

You can use bipoles to avoid hot spotting if your placement options put the surrounds too close to the MLP. I'd personally use monopoles if you have the room to get them placed properly.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-20-2018, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah my sides will only be about 30 inches from the nearest seat, so trying to decide if bipoles would be a better option. And since I'm probably doing in walls to further maximize distance, I really can't try both very easily without lots of patchwork.

Last edited by matpal; 10-20-2018 at 10:26 AM.
post #7 of 8 Old 10-20-2018, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matpal View Post
Yeah my sides will only be about 30 inches from the nearest seat, so trying to decide if bipoles would be a better option. And since I'm probably doing in walls to further maximize distance, I really can't try both very easily without lots of patchwork.
Depending on exact set up, I'd still go with in-wall monopoles. Look for a fairly wide dispersion pattern and an amiable tweeter or aimable swivel speaker. If you are using rear surrounds you can mount the surrounds slightly in front of the seats and aim the tweeter toward the MLP or the far side seats. If no rear surrounds, mount the surrounds slightly behind the seats and slightly above ear level and aim the tweeter toward the MLP or the far side seats. I have the latter set up and similar distances and no issues with hot spotting.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-21-2018, 07:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Triad InWall Bipole Surrounds are used in the ceiling all the time on projects with ceilings of 9 feet or less. Always get excellent results using this approach and can cover multiple seats more easily as well.

You also want to use bipole surrounds in place of monopoles for the side and rear surrounds when you have less than 5 feet of space to the nearest seats.

[email protected]

Last edited by Dawn Gordon; 10-21-2018 at 07:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page