post #1 of 21 Old 10-24-2018, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1458 Post(s)
Liked: 1032
What is next for this setup?

Hey everyone!

I finally received my Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 SE’s. Absolutely love them. For how compact they are, the bass is phenomenal and the detail should be known without even mentioning it. I could be completely satisfied with these for years to come, but I am having that itch for even better sound.

What is next up? I know a subwoofer is definitely next but sadly my mom said no. Too expensive for a single speaker. I don’t think she is aware of how much a sub can do for a system. But putting that aside, what would be next? A center? Maybe surrounds? I was also thinking possibly foam panels for acoustic treating? What would give me the best upgrade for the money? If you have a different suggestion that wasn’t mentioned, let me know!

My setup is as follows:
Ascend CMT-340s
Onkyo TX-NR656
11x11 room, untreated besides my bed

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Russdawg1; 10-26-2018 at 11:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 10-26-2018, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8558 Post(s)
Liked: 5759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
Hey everyone!

I finally received my Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 SE’s. Absolutely love them. For how compact they are, the bass is phenomenal and the detail should be known without even mentioning it. I could be completely satisfied with these for years to come, but I am having that itch for even better sound.

What is next up? I know a subwoofer is definitely next but sadly my mom said no. Too expensive for a single speaker. I don’t think she is aware of how much a sub can do for a system. But putting that aside, what would be next? A center? Maybe surrounds? I was also thinking possibly foam panels for acoustic treating? What would give me the best upgrade for the money? If you have a different suggestion that wasn’t mentioned, let me know!

My setup is as follows:
Ascend CMT-340s
Onkyo TX-NR656

Thanks in advance!
This excellent little sub is perfect for a bedroom and costs less than a single CMT340.

https://emotiva.com/products/basx-s8

Geoff A. J., California
post #3 of 21 Old 10-26-2018, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6887 Post(s)
Liked: 5181
Quote:
My setup is as follows:
Ascend CMT-340s
Onkyo TX-NR656
A photo of your setup and room would be helpful.

What are the speakers sitting on? Are the tweeters ear level to your main listening position? If not, a good pair of speaker stands, maybe $100.

How wide apart are the speakers? If they are far apart enough, a center speaker might be a good idea for your HT usage.

I agree with the previous poster that even a small 8" sub like that Emotiva would be a big upgrade.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 10-26-2018, 11:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 224
A center might be good, as Zorba said, depending on how far apart your L and R are and how far away you sit. As far as acoustic panels, clap your hands in the room and see how "echoey" it is. Might be fine with carpeted floor and the bed. The Emotiva sub for $200 would be great as Geoff suggested. You could get some inexpensive surrounds off cl or ebay. Then as time goes by you can upgrade each component as you see fit.

Marantz SR5012 / Yamaha CD-S300 / XBOX One X / Sony UBX700
Dali Zensor 1 / Martin Logan Dynamo 300 / HiFiMan HE400i Headphones
post #5 of 21 Old 10-26-2018, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
A photo of your setup and room would be helpful.

What are the speakers sitting on? Are the tweeters ear level to your main listening position? If not, a good pair of speaker stands, maybe $100.

How wide apart are the speakers? If they are far apart enough, a center speaker might be a good idea for your HT usage.

I agree with the previous poster that even a small 8" sub like that Emotiva would be a big upgrade.

Okay here are the photos:

My room situation at the moment is a little odd but I will be moving stuff around to make it work. I pulled a no no and wall mounted the Ascends. Dave and other forumers said this could be forgiven once I get a sub. They also aren’t too far apart. The tweeter level is a bit above my ear level when I sit and just below my ear level when I stand. I listen to music both sitting and standing.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #6 of 21 Old 10-27-2018, 03:36 AM

Quote:

My room situation at the moment is a little odd but I will be moving stuff around to make it work. I pulled a no no and wall mounted the Ascends. Dave and other forumers said this could be forgiven once I get a sub. They also aren’t too far apart. The tweeter level is a bit above my ear level when I sit and just below my ear level when I stand. I listen to music both sitting and standing.
Yeah, I'd get a sub ASAP so that you can avoid running the 340s full range since they're so close to the wall and rear ported (are you using port plugs?). No need for a center I think.
doni01 likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #7 of 21 Old 10-27-2018, 06:56 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I have the same speakers based on Zorba's recommendations and very happy with them. I just can't believe you have them wall mounted those suckers are heavy not to mention rear ported but if that works for you, then that's all that matters. I do have mine about 6" off the wall and sitting on the ground tilted up towards ear level. they sound good. Then again my room is more dedicated towards an HT. I was going to recommend another 340 for a center but looking at your room, I do not think you need it...As far as the sub goes, I know a lot of people here are not big fans of Klipsch but if you find one of their higher model ones for cheap I would not hesitate. I am running two R-112sw models and they blend very well with the Ascends. Just some to consider...

Zorba922 likes this.
post #8 of 21 Old 10-27-2018, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, I'd get a sub ASAP so that you can avoid running the 340s full range since they're so close to the wall and rear ported (are you using port plugs?). No need for a center I think.

I’m pushing insanely hard for the sub, parent are giving me a lot of resistance for some unknown reason. No port plugs here, but it does make me wonder how they will sound when I take them over to a friends house and put them on stands not so close to the wall.

post #9 of 21 Old 10-27-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
I’m pushing insanely hard for the sub, parent are giving me a lot of resistance for some unknown reason. No port plugs here, but it does make me wonder how they will sound when I take them over to a friends house and put them on stands not so close to the wall.
I imagine the mid-bass will get a lot tighter, and generally the sound should really open up. You'll get a similar effect once you get a sub and run them on "small" with a standard 80Hz crossover.

post #10 of 21 Old 10-27-2018, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doni01 View Post
I have the same speakers based on Zorba's recommendations and very happy with them. I just can't believe you have them wall mounted those suckers are heavy not to mention rear ported but if that works for you, then that's all that matters. I do have mine about 6" off the wall and sitting on the ground tilted up towards ear level. they sound good. Then again my room is more dedicated towards an HT. I was going to recommend another 340 for a center but looking at your room, I do not think you need it...As far as the sub goes, I know a lot of people here are not big fans of Klipsch but if you find one of their higher model ones for cheap I would not hesitate. I am running two R-112sw models and they blend very well with the Ascends. Just some to consider...

I just want to say I love your setup. I wish I had a dedicated room for a theater but parents said I have to keep my bed who needs a bed? I can just sleep on theater chairs.

As for wall mounting the Ascends, its a bit of a funny story, the one on the left is in a stud. The one on the right has no stud and I used light-medium duty anchors and it started ripping out with even lighter Klipsch KG2.2s. Grabbed some heavy duty anchors and now I can hang on the mount so the Ascends are all good now.

But for the sub, I’m really hoping to do a diy one as I feel like that would give me a whole lot more flexibility and performance per dollar. I know plenty of people experienced in wood working so I should have no problem.

post #11 of 21 Old 10-27-2018, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I imagine the mid-bass will get a lot tighter, and generally the sound should really open up. You'll get a similar effect once you get a sub and run them on "small" with a standard 80Hz crossover.

That sounds amazing, can’t wait to do that then. Why is 80hz the standard for running crossovers? I was wondering because it seems like some speakers should be run higher or lower correct?

post #12 of 21 Old 10-27-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
That sounds amazing, can’t wait to do that then. Why is 80hz the standard for running crossovers? I was wondering because it seems like some speakers should be run higher or lower correct?
Human male voice goes down to 85hz so you don't want voices coming out of your sub.

As your parents are giving you a hard time you should buy one of these to see if their "fears" are warranted and if it works out ok, return it to Best Buy and get the Emotive BasX S8 for $50 more.

I have two of these in my secondary room and they are good little subs but the Emotiva is better.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/yamaha-...?skuId=5828900

Geoff A. J., California
post #13 of 21 Old 10-27-2018, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Human male voice goes down to 85hz so you don't want voices coming out of your sub.

As your parents are giving you a hard time you should buy one of these to see if their "fears" are warranted and if it works out ok, return it to Best Buy and get the Emotive BasX S8 for $50 more.

I have two of these in my secondary room and they are good little subs but the Emotiva is better.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/yamaha-...?skuId=5828900

Oooooh, very cool, didn’t know that.

So the problem with my parents is that since the Ascends came in two weeks ago they claim that I don’t need any new speakers for the rest of the year. They are also claiming instant gratification which is a little odd considering I will be hand building this sub?

I used to have a Dayton 12” and I really enjoyed it, parents didn’t. Well to be fair, my parents didn’t enjoy it when my music was felt in the living room

post #14 of 21 Old 10-27-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Oooooh, very cool, didn’t know that.

So the problem with my parents is that since the Ascends came in two weeks ago they claim that I don’t need any new speakers for the rest of the year. They are also claiming instant gratification which is a little odd considering I will be hand building this sub?

I used to have a Dayton 12” and I really enjoyed it, parents didn’t. Well to be fair, my parents didn’t enjoy it when my music was felt in the living room
Hand building a sub?

Geoff A. J., California
post #15 of 21 Old 10-27-2018, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Hand building a sub?

Not exactly hand building but a diy one so I will be doing most of the work involved in making it.

post #16 of 21 Old 10-27-2018, 07:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 2328
Quote:
Why is 80hz the standard for running crossovers?
That's about where it is safe to run subs without localization, but localization can very based on the room and the amount of distortion your specific sub has. It is also where THX settled on setting the standard for crossovers a while back, and it kind of stuck. The truth is you probably out to start at 80 Hz and keep bumping up until you can localize, then bump back down a notch. You generally want the subs carrying as much of the load as they can carry without localization.
post #17 of 21 Old 10-27-2018, 08:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 3083 Post(s)
Liked: 2559
Quote:

If you're able to move stuff around, you can just get the TP stands designed for those speakers and pull them away from the wall a few inches. If you can set the speakers a little wider, than a center would be a nice addition, though you'd need brackets to keep it off the wall. A sub would certainly be the most beneficial addition to your setup as mentioned repeatedly in this thread. An Emotiva Bas-X 10 would be planty for that room and is not very expensive.
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...stlcmt340.html

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #18 of 21 Old 10-27-2018, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post
That's about where it is safe to run subs without localization, but localization can very based on the room and the amount of distortion your specific sub has. It is also where THX settled on setting the standard for crossovers a while back, and it kind of stuck. The truth is you probably out to start at 80 Hz and keep bumping up until you can localize, then bump back down a notch. You generally want the subs carrying as much of the load as they can carry without localization.
Good summary of the situation there @jjackkrash .

And just to add, I did a little experiment when I set up my most recent system a couple years ago with a pair of Dynaudio monitors and a Hsu sub. I wanted to test out a worst-case-scenario. So, I played some moderately loud bass-heavy music. Then I put my precious little head right between the sub and the nearest monitor. I set the crossover in the AVR to 80Hz. I didn't hear any bass coming from the sub. If just sounded "around me" and coming from the monitor. Good. Check.

Then, I moved the crossover to 60Hz. Again, no bass from sub's direction but a little less of the "enveloping" bass I had heard before at 80Hz. Ok. Nice but 80Hz was better with more "impact" and "roomfill." Time to check out the other side of 80Hz!

Next, I moved to a 90Hz crossover point (my AVR moves in 20Hz increments below 80Hz and in 10Hz increments above.) This was a real shocker! I could actually hear bass coming from sub! No way! I had always assumed that 80Hz was just arbitrary, but no, it's not at all. 80Hz was well-chosen by Lucasfilm/THX indeed!!

Granted I was mere feet from the sub and equidistant to the nearest monitor but there it was! At 90Hz I had to really concentrate, but I could clearly hear bass originating from the Hsu. Ok, so back to 80Hz and? Well, no more bass from the sub could be located! Amazing! I tried this again in a smaller room with the same result using a different Emotiva sealed sub and some Ascend monitors.

Of course, 80Hz might not be the best frequency for every AVR/speaker/room combo but it was for mine and it wasn't even close. So I would always recommend using 80Hz to start and then doing your own "head" experiment.
Zorba922 likes this.

Last edited by l0nestar8; 10-27-2018 at 08:51 PM.
post #19 of 21 Old 10-27-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
If you're able to move stuff around, you can just get the TP stands designed for those speakers and pull them away from the wall a few inches.
Out of curiousity, why do you recommend the TP stands in particular? Wouldn't any normal $100 pair of decent quality metal stands work just as well, like the Monolith stands? I thought the main rationale for the TP stands was to create a "tower look" and, for those with pets or small kids, to have a sandfillable heavy base?

post #20 of 21 Old 10-27-2018, 10:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 3083 Post(s)
Liked: 2559
Quote:
Out of curiousity, why do you recommend the TP stands in particular? Wouldn't any normal $100 pair of decent quality metal stands work just as well, like the Monolith stands? I thought the main rationale for the TP stands was to create a "tower look" and, for those with pets or small kids, to have a sandfillable heavy base?
The TP stands would look better and as you mentioned would be more difficult to knock over. The OP can certainly get different stands, though those speakers are a little big and heavy for traditional bookshelf stands hence the recommendation for the TP stands.

If I had those speakers on bookshelf stands when I was living with my parents, they would have been knocked over multiple times, especially when I had friends over. I think additional safety for both the OP and the speakers is worth a few extra bucks.
Zorba922 likes this.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #21 of 21 Old 10-28-2018, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Sorry for the late response, but thank you everyone for explaining the 80hz crossover. Will definitely keep note of this for when my subwoofer is built and hooked up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page