Which in-ceiling Paradigm speakers best complement the 95Fs? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-27-2018, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Which in-ceiling Paradigm speakers best complement the 95Fs?

I'm considering going the Paradigm Prestige 95F route for my mains in my in-the-works Atmos setup, powered by my Denon X4400H.

Question is: while I'm still deciding between 2-4 in-ceiling top speakers, which ones in their lineup would match those mains? I should start by narrowing down if I should be looking at the Reference collection or if the Classic collection would suffice given the relatively minimal content that will likely be heard from them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-27-2018, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 3213 Post(s)
Liked: 2670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invincible View Post
the Classic collection would suffice given the relatively minimal content that will likely be heard from them.
You don't need anything hi end for the atmos channels. These would work nicely.
https://www.paradigm.com/products-cu.../page=overview

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-27-2018, 09:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1887 Post(s)
Liked: 1084
Elite or pro series would work as both have same type of tweeters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 10-28-2018, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
You don't need anything hi end for the atmos channels. These would work nicely.
https://www.paradigm.com/products-cu.../page=overview
I was preferring the price point of the Home series (of course) and was semi-hoping for this opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
Elite or pro series would work as both have same type of tweeters.
However this thought also crossed my mind. I've been living with "hodge podge" setups in the basement (Klipsch Reference setup for the living room) since our first house. It would be nice to match things up as well as possible when I upgrade the current basement HT. I was studying the in-ceiling comparison table and noted I'd have to move into Pro / Elite range to match tweeters. I guess the question is - would my ears - or my guests be able to tell the difference? My wallet sure could

Edit: What about ~6" vs 8"? The Pro P65-R is more expensive than say the Home H80-R (which I'm seeing is the same price as the H65-SM). I need to get more familiar with their lineup it seems...

Last edited by Invincible; 10-28-2018 at 06:00 AM.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-28-2018, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was preferring the price point of the Home series (of course) and was semi-hoping for this opinion.

However this thought also crossed my mind. I've been living with "hodge podge" setups in the basement (Klipsch Reference setup for the living room) since our first house. It would be nice to match things up as well as possible when I upgrade the current basement HT. I was studying the in-ceiling comparison table and noted I'd have to move into Pro / Elite range to match tweeters. I guess the question is - would my ears - or my guests be able to tell the difference? My wallet sure could

Edit: What about ~6" vs 8"? The Pro P65-R is more expensive than say the Home H80-R (which I'm seeing is the same price as the H65-SM). I need to get more familiar with their lineup it seems...
If you really want to go with the higher end ones, you can certainly do so. The overheads will mainly just provide sound effects and ambient sounds. anything from the Paradigm catalogue will be voice matched. If you were using in ceiling speakers as mains, the higher end stuff might make more sense, but for atmos the less expensive ones will work quite nicely.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-28-2018, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If you really want to go with the higher end ones, you can certainly do so. The overheads will mainly just provide sound effects and ambient sounds. anything from the Paradigm catalogue will be voice matched. If you were using in ceiling speakers as mains, the higher end stuff might make more sense, but for atmos the less expensive ones will work quite nicely.
I'm game to save. You're right, the content played through them will be minimal, so power handling etc. doesn't need to be over the top. If I don't end up going with the angled tweeter, I'm not sure how I'd decide between the -R and -SM. You suggested the -SM, any particular reason why? I guess the extra driver would help disperse the audio. Since I have a wide (enough) area to fill I'm inclined to think that would be a good idea.

Cool. I like your suggestion. Time to get them priced!
post #7 of 8 Old 10-28-2018, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm game to save. You're right, the content played through them will be minimal, so power handling etc. doesn't need to be over the top. If I don't end up going with the angled tweeter, I'm not sure how I'd decide between the -R and -SM. You suggested the -SM, any particular reason why? I guess the extra driver would help disperse the audio. Since I have a wide (enough) area to fill I'm inclined to think that would be a good idea.

Cool. I like your suggestion. Time to get them priced!
The SM would give you more place flexibility and may be the better option if you have listeners sitting out of the sweet spot. If more than 90% of your listening will be in the sweet spot, go with the H80-R or H65-R.

post #8 of 8 Old 10-28-2018, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The SM would give you more place flexibility and may be the better option if you have listeners sitting out of the sweet spot. If more than 90% of your listening will be in the sweet spot, go with the H80-R or H65-R.
I'm onboard with that. Place flexibility is a must. I'm trying to sort all of that out now in this thread because I have an unfortunately placed bulkhead (33" deep & 10" tall) preventing top rear placement from being where it needs to be, which doesn't even account for the fact that seating is right up against the wall (an issue that can't be fixed). Being Canadian, I liked the fact that the Pro/Elites are made here but at the end of the day - so long as it fills the role well - I'd rather go with the Home and put the savings towards the rest of the setup.

All that to say while *my* spot is the sweet spot, when we have people over no guests are in the sweet spot. I'm trying to be accommodating
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page