where did monster cables disappear? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 29Likes

post #1 of 34 Old 11-05-2018, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 162
where did monster cables disappear?

home theater folks would know that some years back when shopping for speaker cables and rca interconnects for subwoofers, monster was the talk, i have a monster m series rca to use with a sub bought about 10 years ago, now as i look to add another sub and buy the same cable for it, i cant locate the same m series cable. on amazon, now the monster rca's and speaker cables just bring up cheaper, thin looking and cheaply constructed cables (probably chinese stuff). what happened to the company?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 11-05-2018, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 282
I don't know what happened to the company.People probably figured their stuff was overpriced crap.I'm pretty sure their stuff was made in China.
You can do better for cheaper!
xpavar, John dhein and m0000 like this.
post #3 of 34 Old 11-05-2018, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked: 902
The big box stores slowed down shoving Monster cables down our throats. Probably started wising up that it's snake oil and a $5 cable works just as good as the $99 cable, including that cheap Chinese cable you're referring to.

Just check out monoprice or bluejeans for your needs. Some other good online stores too.
fill35U, Muphasta and Lp85253 like this.

Sony XBR-77A9G / Panasonic DP-UB9000 / Marantz SR7011 / Def Tech 9060 Series
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 11-05-2018, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If your in Canada, primecables.ca is the Canadian version of Mononprice. Inexpensive quality cables of all shapes and sizes.
Muphasta likes this.
post #5 of 34 Old 11-05-2018, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1892 Post(s)
Liked: 2656
My guess: Monster cables weren't sufficiently overpriced and didn't have enough cachet to maintain cred with the "audiophile" community.
fill35U, spyboy and Fitero like this.
post #6 of 34 Old 11-05-2018, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg35 View Post
I don't know what happened to the company.People probably figured their stuff was overpriced crap.I'm pretty sure their stuff was made in China.
You can do better for cheaper!
the m series cables from them some years ago certainly weren't 'overpriced crap' they were good, but now it seems the monster cables you find on amazon are cheaply constructed chinese sourced stuff.
post #7 of 34 Old 11-05-2018, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Liked: 536
Agree with all comments so far.

If you're looking for alternatives, Blue Jeans Cable BJC LC-1 subwoofer cable is good. Also checkout offerings on Monoprice.com.
Transmaniacon likes this.

Just one more upgrade and things will be perfect.
post #8 of 34 Old 11-05-2018, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Stores got wise and realized they could do the same things themselves. Best Buy sells under the "rocketfish" brand or whatever it is now to reap more of the profits.

Also, there's been some shakeups at Monster Corporate, something weird about their COO.
https://www.audioholics.com/news/mon...h-bizarre-past

Ditto to everyone else's comments, good riddance, and just go with amazon branded or monoprice.

EYES: Sony 75z9d
EARS: Klipsch: Front - RF7 | Center - RC7 | Side Surround - RF35 | Rear Surround - RS35
BRAIN: Marantz 8012
FOOD: Oppo BDP 103D: HD and 3D, SACD/CD | Sony UBP‑X700: 4K | Marantz 1975 6300 Turntable (Grado Blue Cartridge)
post #9 of 34 Old 11-05-2018, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3121 Post(s)
Liked: 3044
If you want Monster sub cable -- then this is all you need and it will work
https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...er-26ft/1.html

If you want to spend more, then look on Ebay, they will have them

----------------
Who AM I

Last edited by zieglj01; 11-05-2018 at 08:03 AM.
post #10 of 34 Old 11-05-2018, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post
My guess: Monster cables weren't sufficiently overpriced and didn't have enough cachet to maintain cred with the "audiophile" community.
you mean they should have priced themselves like audioquest or kimber? though my point here doesnt have to do with price, im saying their cables some years back had very solid construction, the m series especially and were good performers, now searching on monster cables on amazon just reveals cheaply constructed, thin cables which is evident from the product pictures. that's not the good quality they used to have, it seems (my guess) they source to a cheap chinese facility now and build stuff on much lower budgets.
post #11 of 34 Old 11-05-2018, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 622
Their market split in half over time. Some fell into the "expensive cables sound better" mentality and the rest got smart and learned you can get the best sounding stuff for less money from places like BlueJeansCable.
Lp85253, fill35U and John dhein like this.

Sony XBR75-X940D, Sony UBP-X800M2 UHD-BD, Xfinity X1 Voice DVR, Marantz AV-7703 Pre/Pro w/Auro, (3) Adcom GFA-545II amps, (2) Adcom GFA-535II amps for ATMOS speakers.
HSU Research 5.2 speaker system (4) HB-1 MK2, (1) HC-1 MK2, (2) STF-2,
Klipsch HT500 satellites (4) for ceiling mounted ATMOS playback
DIY Linux desktop w/Strawberry bit perfect media center. Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
post #12 of 34 Old 11-05-2018, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2103 Post(s)
Liked: 1758
amazon basics ,, monoprice ,,blue jeans .... all better bang for buck and generally just as good if not actually better overall for less money than MOST high priced cables... sound just doesn't change much because of cables .. as long as you address impedance needs the cheap cables work as well...
John dhein likes this.

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
post #13 of 34 Old 11-05-2018, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 757
post #14 of 34 Old 11-05-2018, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 33
never fear, audioquest is here to step in for monster
18Hurts likes this.

---talbain---
post #15 of 34 Old 11-05-2018, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked: 917
If they are truly gone, then good riddance to them...

They were just another greedy company that got too big.

Quote:
Critics and defendants say that Monster is too aggressive in pursuing trademark protections against companies that do not have confusingly similar products and that it is trying to own a common word, not protect a brand. Monster representatives say they are doing what most "premium" brands do to protect their marks and that their products include things like clothes, mints and music.[15][16]

In the 2000s, Monster had legal disputes over its trademarks with the Discovery Channel for its show Monster Garage.[14] Monster also had trademark disputes with Bally Gaming International over its slot machines, Monster Slots, with Hansen Beverage Co. for its Monster Energy drink, and the Chicago Bears, who use the nickname "Monsters of the Midway".[16] Other trademark disputes include a 2001[18] lawsuit against The Walt Disney Company for products related to the film Monsters, Inc.,[15] and a claim against an online used clothing retailer, MonsterVintage LLC.[15] In 2004, Monster filed a complaint about the trademark application from Snow Monsters, a video website with skiing content for kids. The Snow Monsters owner initiated a lawsuit against Monster pre-emptively.[14] It has also had a trademark dispute with the job site, Monster.com.[16]

In 2006 Monster brought a suit against Monster Mini Golf, a company selling franchise Mini Golf locations throughout the US. After an unsuccessful legal mediation, Monster Mini Golf launched a grassroots campaign against Monster Cable on the Internet. As a result, Monster received more than 200 complaints from the public. Monster Cable dropped the lawsuit and agreed to pay up to $200,000 of Monster Mini Golf's legal fees.[15] In 2009 Monster Cable CEO Noel Lee said on Fox Business that the company has had to balance their trademark protection efforts with the public's point-of-view.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_Cable
vld, Lp85253, fill35U and 1 others like this.
post #16 of 34 Old 11-05-2018, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Competition and larger and larger avenues of information (i.e web) where the truth about Monster became more and more available...actually not so much the truth about Monster itself but the truth about what it takes to be a good cable and just how cheap that can be. Same deal with Bose....although I still come across people that think Bose is high end. /boggle

With all that Monster had to cut costs...so like any other company they look to the cheap China stuff. Just karma that that cheap China stuff works just as good as what Monster used to make and sell for crazy money.
post #17 of 34 Old 11-05-2018, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3347 Post(s)
Liked: 2820
A $70 cable is the same as a $12 cable and could possibly have come from the same Chinese factory. The $70 one has an outer jacket and nice paint job on the connectors to appear more high end. It would be impossible to tell the difference in a blind listening test.
https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Go...dioquest+cable
https://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-U...bwoofer++cable

With a simple internet search, people are figuring out more and more that they're being fleeced with high priced cables and interconnects.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #18 of 34 Old 11-05-2018, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post
Competition and larger and larger avenues of information (i.e web) where the truth about Monster became more and more available...actually not so much the truth about Monster itself but the truth about what it takes to be a good cable and just how cheap that can be. Same deal with Bose....although I still come across people that think Bose is high end. /boggle

With all that Monster had to cut costs...so like any other company they look to the cheap China stuff. Just karma that that cheap China stuff works just as good as what Monster used to make and sell for crazy money.
Going by that viewpoint, then you have to ask yourself how do companies like audioquest, kimber, QED etc. still survive and sustain themselves pretty well, and monster was not as expensive as the brands i mentioned, monster was middle of the road with pricing.
post #19 of 34 Old 11-05-2018, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Your Monster cable was probably made in China, too.

No need to match cables. You can get a good cable (even if it IS made in China) for very little $$$.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #20 of 34 Old 11-05-2018, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLaud25 View Post
Going by that viewpoint, then you have to ask yourself how do companies like audioquest, kimber, QED etc. still survive and sustain themselves pretty well, and monster was not as expensive as the brands i mentioned, monster was middle of the road with pricing.
The answer is simple, they convince people with more money than sense, I really mean no offence to you as audioquest and the like are MUCH more expensive, that the more expensive cable was better. The truth as has been long proven by hundreds of tests, is that in almost every case, save for instances with HEAVY EM interference a properly sized cable with transmit the exact same signal as a $100+ cable. Having more robust interconnects, IS a good thing which is why there are places like BJC. The truth is you don't want to dig for the absolute cheapest cable, but a decent cable from some place like monoprice or BJC or Amazon Basics will work just as well as anything else. With monster you were paying for a name, they were made in the same factories in china that make practically every other cable on the market. Of course this thread will unfortunately fall down the rabbit hole of people arguing why a $100+ a foot cable is or isn't worth it. But especially in the case of Subwoofer LFE cables which transmit very very little power, and decent cable will work. The thing is even the people that vouch for the really expensive stuff just ask them to open their speakers and see what kind of cable is used in there. Bet you a dollar it's some cheap properly gauged cable, but nothing close to the expensive stuff they are using from amp to speaker.
post #21 of 34 Old 11-05-2018, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7154 Post(s)
Liked: 5462
Quote:
home theater folks would know that some years back when shopping for speaker cables and rca interconnects for subwoofers, monster was the talk
Monster is the Bose/Beats of cables...good riddance. Too bad all the other snake-oil "audiophile" cable companies haven't gone extinct as well...but just proves PT Barnum's favorite line.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #22 of 34 Old 11-05-2018, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 306
I have a lot of Monster cables in different varieties that I still use but I bought mine in the mid 90's before I knew better. Oh, to be young, single and have more money than brains again. the wife took care of all three and if I'm not careful she'll take the rest as well.
Zorba922, 18Hurts and shivaji like this.
post #23 of 34 Old 11-05-2018, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by schwock5 View Post
Stores got wise and realized they could do the same things themselves. Best Buy sells under the "rocketfish" brand or whatever it is now to reap more of the profits.

Also, there's been some shakeups at Monster Corporate, something weird about their COO.
https://www.audioholics.com/news/mon...h-bizarre-past

Ditto to everyone else's comments, good riddance, and just go with amazon branded or monoprice.
Best Buy sells rockfish but also has a big box store budget line of AudioQuest to replace Monster cable. A couple of tie HDMi cables are Ocean and Sky.
post #24 of 34 Old 11-05-2018, 05:52 PM
vld
Advanced Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Héll, they don't even offer the original speaker cable that made their name for them way back when!

Between the over priced shiet that they turned into and the frivolous lawsuits against other legit companies like Blue Jeans, all I can say is good riddance! Let 'em die!
shivaji likes this.
post #25 of 34 Old 11-05-2018, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1048 Post(s)
Liked: 1244
Monster was just the beginning of snake oil overpriced audio cable. There are still way too many companies to mention. As a professional recording and live sound engineer, I always used Belden, Canare, Mogami, Gotham, Gepco etc. I was shocked and appalled when I saw the prices of Monster and other "audiophile" cables. It's hard to believe the scam is still alive today. Wireworld anyone?

Don't forget Redco as a great source too. https://www.redco.com/
Lp85253 and fill35U like this.
post #26 of 34 Old 11-05-2018, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 390
I have quite a few Monster interconnects that I bought many years ago before we had stuff sent to us through the tubes of the internets. The speaker cable I am using now is 15+ year old Monster that I bought by the foot off a spool at a Mom & Pop hardware store. All of it is reasonably decent quality. I don't remember any of it being very expensive. I would not have bought it if it was.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #27 of 34 Old 11-05-2018, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 3592 Post(s)
Liked: 2027
when monster cable was popular we didnt have the internet or a million cargo freight ships from china daily unloading everything under the sun and produced by $2 an hour workers

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #28 of 34 Old 11-05-2018, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 771
Quote:
Sales plunged from $87.7 million in 2016 to $57.5 million in 2017; it lost $29 million in 2016, $27 million in 2017 and $19.6 million from January to March. In August, Monster told the Securities and Exchange Commission it needed more time to complete its financials, and has not disclosed its finances since.
Hope it dies quickly!!!
Shadowed and Lp85253 like this.
post #29 of 34 Old 11-05-2018, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Anderson View Post
Monster was just the beginning of snake oil overpriced audio cable. There are still way too many companies to mention. As a professional recording and live sound engineer, I always used Belden, Canare, Mogami, Gotham, Gepco etc. I was shocked and appalled when I saw the prices of Monster and other "audiophile" cables. It's hard to believe the scam is still alive today. Wireworld anyone?

Don't forget Redco as a great source too. https://www.redco.com/
monster's pricing was never anywhere close to what the 'audiophile' brands sold and still sell, so why lump monster together with them? check the high end stuff of audioquest and kimber, i remember a decent monster speaker cable spool could be had for under hundred bucks. compare that to the pure silvers that AQ sells that i think go for around 1800 bucks a pair.
post #30 of 34 Old 11-05-2018, 07:52 PM

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7154 Post(s)
Liked: 5462
Quote:
monster's pricing was never anywhere close to what the 'audiophile' brands sold and still sell, so why lump monster together with them? check the high end stuff of audioquest and kimber, i remember a decent monster speaker cable spool could be had for under hundred bucks. compare that to the pure silvers that AQ sells that i think go for around 1800 bucks a pair.
True, Monster crap is not as obscenely overpriced as the true boutique-shop cables.

Compared to generics (e.g. Monoprice or Mediabridge) cables from Amazon, which have similar or sometimes better quality, they are still 2-3 times more than they should be.

People like to bash them because they have been such a ubiquitous evil, just like Bose still is even though Bose is actually not as wildly overpriced as say, Bang & Olufson.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page