Computer Speakers - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26Likes

post #31 of 154 Old 11-28-2018, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 19
SMSL AD18 Amp arrived yesterday. I had a realization that believe I can go with a larger speaker than the 3010 - picture attached - those are Polk RTi4 bookshelf speakers (not hooked up) and from what I remember they pounded in terms of music - so if anything has a bass response like those I will be happy - I don't remember the sound quality but I'm sure I liked it.

Now.

QA 3010 - Cost to my door = $420CAD - Worth it - I dunno

Great size - love the look - are they weak in terms of bass response? Returning to US would suck $$$

QA 3020 - Cost to my door = $545CAD!! Worth it? I think no.

I'm having reservations about the 3020s for the soul (sole)? reason that I can't hear them and return to US would be terrible - plus cost. They look amazing, get rave reviews and are a great size.

Wharfedale Diamond 220 - Cost to my door = $345CAD (until Dec 1st)

These take up slightly more desk real estate (ugh) but, I can buy them from a local shop with free shipping. They don't look as good in my opinion but seem to get good reviews

Too bad I'm so fixed on the white look - I feel like this would have been easier with a black speaker. If I choose the WD 220 - is that amp ok? I've heard people returning these because they sound dark?? Also, notice how close my listening field is also.

I really appreciate the patience you guys have with Canadians as we do not have the luxury of "trying" out speakers - it's usually based off reviews and you help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181128_110433.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	510.7 KB
ID:	2488524   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181128_110450.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	464.0 KB
ID:	2488526  

Pioneer DEH-X9500BHS | Pioneer GM-D8604 | JBL P660C | JBL P963 | Pioneer GM-D9601 | Infinity Kappa 120.9W Sealed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 154 Old 11-28-2018, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 589 Post(s)
Liked: 703
The 220's are an easy decision at those prices.
Lp85253 likes this.

Speakers: M040 | M16 | LS50 | Reva-2| BM5 mk3 | X28| X18 | X14
Sub: VTF-2 mk5
Amps: HK 3490 | TSR-7810
post #33 of 154 Old 11-28-2018, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7069 Post(s)
Liked: 5373
Quote:
Originally Posted by sannitig View Post
Wharfedale Diamond 220 - Cost to my door = $345CAD (until Dec 1st). These take up slightly more desk real estate (ugh) but, I can buy them from a local shop with free shipping. They don't look as good in my opinion but seem to get good reviews. Too bad I'm so fixed on the white look - I feel like this would have been easier with a black speaker. If I choose the WD 220 - is that amp ok? I've heard people returning these because they sound dark?? Also, notice how close my listening field is also.
Unless you have a long history of preferring "bright" speakers like Def Tech and entry level Klipsch, the 220 is a no-brainer and especially for nearfield usage...the closer to your ears, the less "brightness" will be enjoyable or even tolerable.

Yes if you were not fixated on white, the NHT SuperOnes on amazon.ca would have been a lot cheaper and smaller too.

Anyway, the amp should be fine with either speaker.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 154 Old 11-29-2018, 05:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
SMSL AD18 Amp arrived yesterday. I had a realization that believe I can go with a larger speaker than the 3010 - picture attached - those are Polk RTi4 bookshelf speakers (not hooked up) and from what I remember they pounded in terms of music - so if anything has a bass response like those I will be happy - I don't remember the sound quality but I'm sure I liked it.

Now.

QA 3010 - Cost to my door = $420CAD - Worth it - I dunno

Great size - love the look - are they weak in terms of bass response? Returning to US would suck $$$

QA 3020 - Cost to my door = $545CAD!! Worth it? I think no.

I'm having reservations about the 3020s for the soul (sole)? reason that I can't hear them and return to US would be terrible - plus cost. They look amazing, get rave reviews and are a great size.

Wharfedale Diamond 220 - Cost to my door = $345CAD (until Dec 1st)

These take up slightly more desk real estate (ugh) but, I can buy them from a local shop with free shipping. They don't look as good in my opinion but seem to get good reviews

Too bad I'm so fixed on the white look - I feel like this would have been easier with a black speaker. If I choose the WD 220 - is that amp ok? I've heard people returning these because they sound dark?? Also, notice how close my listening field is also.

I really appreciate the patience you guys have with Canadians as we do not have the luxury of "trying" out speakers - it's usually based off reviews and you help

I would seriously look at the KEF Q150's in white $457 to your door

https://www.visions.ca/Catalogue/Cat...224&sku=Q150WH

They are not bright AND they will be the absolute king of imaging in it's price range. This is important if you do any gaming at all.

BUT the Diamond 220's are fine speakers, I hope to grab a pair next sale (or the 225's).

Speakers: KEF Q100 / Q300 / Q750 / Q650C, Fluance Signature Series Bookshelf / SX6 / XL5F, Mirage M-190 Subwoofers: Outlaw Ultra X12 (x2), BIC H100-II Receiver: Denon AVR-X4500H, Denon AVR-X1400H Integrated Amplifier: Yamaha A-S501, Fosi Audio TPA3116 mini amp Extras: MiniDSP Umik-1 Headphones: Philips SPH9500s, Audio Tech. ATH-M40x, Takstar Pro 82.

Last edited by macgallant; 11-29-2018 at 06:55 AM.
post #35 of 154 Old 11-29-2018, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Bobarino View Post
You might take a look at the Fluance AI-40, they are available with a white face and have a sub out if you decide to go that route.

Another option might be the JBL soundsticks, I believe there was a standing desk manufacturer offering them as an option with the sub unit mounted underneath. Not sure if that involved a special bracket or if possible with the standard unit.
Fluance will be releasing a 6 1/2" version with more power and more connectivity soon

Speakers: KEF Q100 / Q300 / Q750 / Q650C, Fluance Signature Series Bookshelf / SX6 / XL5F, Mirage M-190 Subwoofers: Outlaw Ultra X12 (x2), BIC H100-II Receiver: Denon AVR-X4500H, Denon AVR-X1400H Integrated Amplifier: Yamaha A-S501, Fosi Audio TPA3116 mini amp Extras: MiniDSP Umik-1 Headphones: Philips SPH9500s, Audio Tech. ATH-M40x, Takstar Pro 82.
post #36 of 154 Old 11-30-2018, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

I ended up purchasing the WD Diamond 220's in white. Classy looking speaker and downward firing port meant I can place them close to my wall. The amp will be driving 40w to each speaker - I would think this is enough for such a small room. I really wanted the SuperOne's (in white) as I hear the bass is more prominent, but they are impossible to find here in Canada. Also, I believe they are a touch too wide for my desk size.

Keep you guys posted.
Zorba922, sigpig and Lp85253 like this.

Pioneer DEH-X9500BHS | Pioneer GM-D8604 | JBL P660C | JBL P963 | Pioneer GM-D9601 | Infinity Kappa 120.9W Sealed
post #37 of 154 Old 12-03-2018, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Got em today. So excited. I know they need to be broken in I have 10 days to do so before I can no longer return them.

So,

I first hooked up my Polk RTi4 to the SMSL amp and was thoroughly grossed out by sound - no eq-ing mind you. I simply streamed (over BT) an mp3 of a house mix I normally listen to in my car or on the logitechs. They sounded like a banshee screaming in my ear with almost zero low end bass and too much upper bass - I was sitting here scratching my head (and plugging my ears) I've listened to music on these in my old living room and enjoyed it, what's going on here, is it the amp, is it BT??......then I got up and stood at the back of the room (4 feet behind me). It was like I was listening to a different set up! Bass was there man....bass was there - sound was good too. You could hear the power, they had gusto behind them, I smiled.

Then I hooked up the WD 220's - first impression when sitting at the desk? Same thing, also sound like crap but noticeably better than the polks, I mean the polks you straight up could not listen to at the seated distance. Went to the back of the room, again - like listening to a different set up, sounds good.

Did I just f**k myself by buying "bookshelf speakers" when really, at this near field, I should have purchased tiny little speaker and a sub? Like AudioEngine A2, smsl amp and a wireless sub. As blasphemous as this may sound, when seated, although much more inferior and WAY less detailed (to the point of fault) I think I enjoy the z-2300 set up better

Tomorrow, I will try placing the speakers behind me to create the opposite effect of when I was standing but I don't really want to do it this way, this is more of an experiment at this point.

Last edited by sannitig; 12-03-2018 at 09:00 PM.
post #38 of 154 Old 12-03-2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Then I hooked up the WD 220's - first impression when sitting at the desk? Same thing, also sound like crap but noticeably better than the polks, I mean the polks you straight up could not listen to at the seated distance. Went to the back of the room, again - like listening to a different set up, sounds good.
I was not really a believer in "speaker break in" until I bought a pair of Wharfedale 10.1 a couple years ago. Right out of the box, it sounded muffled and dead...I found myself setting the treble on something like +6. About 20-30 hours later, they seemed to open up considerably, and I put the treble back down to zero, where I left it ever after.

Now, other speakers I've had like the Ascend 340/170, Emotiva B1 and Sony Core bookshelf sounded great right out of the box mind you, so this could be something to specific to certain brands/models.

There's a very easy way to get around the "are the speakers breaking in OR are my ears breaking in" issue: break in the speakers using the technique in this link WITHOUT listening to them at all, so that there will be no "before" vs "after" impressions when you're done. In other words, have the speakers playing while you're out of the house / at work.

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/blog/how-run-speakers

Throw a heavy blanket over the 2 facing speakers in order to dampen the sound if needed.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #39 of 154 Old 12-03-2018, 11:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had large speakers for the desk but for nearfield have thought they could be too overpowering when the 5" woofer is arms length to you.

If you go with a smaller computer speaker set such as the Audioengine A2 or HD3, they have internal amps like the Logitech so you'd just need a sub. I haven't heard them but the Vanatoo T0 have reviewed well as smaller speakers.

Also you want to try to get the tweeters to ear level so stands might help. Or at least pointed at your ears.
Zorba922 likes this.
post #40 of 154 Old 12-04-2018, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter

I'm definitely running them today all day while I'm at work but my greatest concern was that there's almost like a dead zone where I'm sitting. The polks and the WD don't hit lows and I'm missing a large part of the music - I take a few steps back and the sound just opens up, clear and rocking my head with great power - night and day.

The WD did have amazing detailed highs though no matter what (seated or standing) right out of the box - I was listening to thunderstorms and I think I started hallucinating!

I might be packing them up and going with tiny speakers and a sub (maybe wireless adapter) - let's see if there's a difference tonight/tomorrow.

post #41 of 154 Old 12-04-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
I'm definitely running them today all day while I'm at work but my greatest concern was that there's almost like a dead zone where I'm sitting. The polks and the WD don't hit lows and I'm missing a large part of the music - I take a few steps back and the sound just opens up, clear and rocking my head with great power - night and day.

The WD did have amazing detailed highs though no matter what (seated or standing) right out of the box - I was listening to thunderstorms and I think I started hallucinating!

I might be packing them up and going with tiny speakers and a sub (maybe wireless adapter) - let's see if there's a difference tonight/tomorrow.
A photo of your setup would be helpful. From what you've described there is likely a placement issue.

As techtone pointed out, you defnitely want the tweeters at ear level or pointed towards ear level. At the very least, decouple the speakers from the desk by putting them on yoga blocks. Whatever you do, DO NOT have them sit flat on your desk, that's like throwing a blanket over them...even rubber doorstop wedges tilt them upwards will help.

I have read anecdotal reports that the previous generation Wharfedale 10.1 (which I have, also in nearfield use) packs a lot more mid-bass than the 220, though one of the posters here @Audiofreak28 complained that the 220 had TOO MUCH bass in nearfield use! So something is weird it seems. Have never missed a sub with my 10.1 even when they were in my main system.

post #42 of 154 Old 12-04-2018, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

you may want to try a front ported design like the Q100

they are hard to find in Canada, but 2001audiovideo has some left @ $296

https://www.2001audiovideo.com/en/ca...82842-KEF-Q100

this is what i use for nearfield and i have a TON of bass powered by my Yamaha a-s501.

post #43 of 154 Old 12-04-2018, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
I have read anecdotal reports that the previous generation Wharfedale 10.1 (which I have, also in nearfield use) packs a lot more mid-bass than the 220, though one of the posters here @Audiofreak28 complained that the 220 had TOO MUCH bass in nearfield use! So something is weird it seems.
I just want to point at that @Audiofreak28 is the only reviewer I've ever seen describe them that way. He probably has a unique room gain situation and near-field can do some odd things, certainly. Bass-heavy the Diamond 200's are not, imo.
post #44 of 154 Old 12-04-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l0nestar8 View Post
I just want to point at that @Audiofreak28 is the only reviewer I've ever seen describe them that way. He probably has a unique room gain situation and near-field can do some odd things, certainly. Bass-heavy the Diamond 200's are not, imo.
Strange, the pro reviews I've read about the 220s do not complain of weak bass:
https://www.soundstagehifi.com/index...0-loudspeakers
https://www.whathifi.com/wharfedale/diamond-220/review

Yet Sound and Vision measured its 3db point to be at 99Hz which I find hard to believe---that's almost sat speaker territory!
https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...iew-test-bench

post #45 of 154 Old 12-04-2018, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Strange, the pro reviews I've read about the 220s do not complain of weak bass:
https://www.soundstagehifi.com/index...0-loudspeakers
https://www.whathifi.com/wharfedale/diamond-220/review

Yet Sound and Vision measured its 3db point to be at 99Hz which I find hard to believe---that's almost sat speaker territory!
One more reason to listen to real people and not pro reviews. Also, measurements don't lie. You can look at the Soundstage measurements for more confirmation despite the "review." According to their own graph, they start to roll-off above 100Hz.

As for other pro reviews, Stereophile had quite the opposite impression and thought even the 225's were bass shy. But anyway, my overall point is that they aren't "bass-heavy" by any stretch.

If you know of any other owners that consider the 220's to be bass-heavy, then I'll chalk it up to differences in rooms.

Last edited by l0nestar8; 12-04-2018 at 04:30 PM.
post #46 of 154 Old 12-04-2018, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Just got home - they've been playing jazz for about 12 hours straight at listening volume and I've attached the pictures.

I just pumped this:

It's so bizarre, when I stand with my back to the bookshelf they sound amazing - authoritative, deep enough lows to say I don't need a subwoofer (boom boom boom), but again, when I'm sitting, they are so thin, it's almost like I hear the woofer kinda struggling. Instead of hearing boom boom boom, I hear pop pop pop. I don't think a bookshelf speaker is going to work hear - I really wanted to like these.

Quote:
It's crazy, they DO sound like a sat speaker, like a cheap sat speaker! I don't think it's that SMSL amp(?), I think it's placement and I can't do anything about the placement. I will have to return them and go back to the drawing board for some tiny, heavy, powerful 2"-3" sat speakers with a subwoofer. I will be hooking the Z-2300 back up in the meantime - I'm not even going to bother switching the speakers to the rear of the room because I don't want them there.

faaaakkk - anyone recommend some sweet ass satellite speakers (preferably white)? LOL - I would buy the Millenia CT 2 used or on sale but it seems like they tend to break after a year or two as per everyone on the internet - so screw that, I'm at an age where I just want things to work. Audioengine P4 - or something even smaller?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181204_203156[1].jpg
Views:	41
Size:	652.7 KB
ID:	2491726   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181204_203131[1].jpg
Views:	50
Size:	482.2 KB
ID:	2491728  

post #47 of 154 Old 12-04-2018, 07:17 PM

Here are 3 things I'd do immediately:

1. Do NOT toe in your speakers. Have them squared to the table (parallel).

2. If you do not have rubber doorstops, put something 1/2" to 1" tall under their front edges so that they angle up towards your ear level.

3. If possible spread them wider apart, with the front edges of the speakers sticking out IN FRONT of the front edges of your monitors.

EDIT: I see you've already done #3 . Next experiment would be to simply pull them further out away from the wall, as much as comfortably possible.

#2 should help out a lot, but ideally, I would put them on stands ON your table, as seen in the photos below.

Right now I think the main problem is that your table is messing up way too much of the sound; a bookshelf speaker is designed to have much more dispersion than a dedicated desktop speaker which is far more directional.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Desktop speakers on stands 2.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	628.1 KB
ID:	2491812   Click image for larger version

Name:	Desktop speakers on stands.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	291.0 KB
ID:	2491814  

Last edited by Zorba922; 12-04-2018 at 08:13 PM.
post #48 of 154 Old 12-05-2018, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Just got home - they've been playing jazz for about 12 hours straight at listening volume and I've attached the pictures.

I just pumped this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmtVj1cIqSY&t=1248s

It's so bizarre, when I stand with my back to the bookshelf they sound amazing - authoritative, deep enough lows to say I don't need a subwoofer (boom boom boom), but again, when I'm sitting, they are so thin, it's almost like I hear the woofer kinda struggling. Instead of hearing boom boom boom, I hear pop pop pop. I don't think a bookshelf speaker is going to work hear - I really wanted to like these.

It's crazy, they DO sound like a sat speaker, like a cheap sat speaker! I don't think it's that SMSL amp(?), I think it's placement and I can't do anything about the placement. I will have to return them and go back to the drawing board for some tiny, heavy, powerful 2"-3" sat speakers with a subwoofer. I will be hooking the Z-2300 back up in the meantime - I'm not even going to bother switching the speakers to the rear of the room because I don't want them there.

faaaakkk - anyone recommend some sweet ass satellite speakers (preferably white)? LOL - I would buy the Millenia CT 2 used or on sale but it seems like they tend to break after a year or two as per everyone on the internet - so screw that, I'm at an age where I just want things to work. Audioengine P4 - or something even smaller?
play with positioning a bit, sometimes 1 inch can make a big difference. If that doesn't work you could always try the WHITE Q150's for $398

https://www.visions.ca/catalogue/cat...224&sku=Q150WH

post #49 of 154 Old 12-05-2018, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgallant View Post
sometimes 1 inch can make a big difference.

Interesting - I will try before I pack them

In terms of stands, I really want a minimalist look and the size of the speakers is already at my upper limit of minimalist, hence if I'm switching to 2.1 the sub will most likely be wireless and/or hidden behind the black reading chair (which is original from the 50's/60's btw) - my wife had it restored, it was her grandfather's - 90 yrs old and still kickin'.

post #50 of 154 Old 12-05-2018, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked: 1626
Listening in nearfield is a much different animal than at a distance. A big issue is the distance between your driver origins. If they are close together, or concentric, you don’t hear each driver as a separate point source. Whereas a bigger bookshelf can create this effect and the sound is not good.

Studio monitors generally keep their tweeter and woofer very close together for this reason, and are designed to be listened to at a close distance.

Coaxial speakers also work well in nearfield because there is only ever a single point source.

I would suggest the KEF Q150 as a good passive nearfield Monitor. Failing that, the JBL 305P is the best choice around this price range.
macgallant likes this.

5.1: Samsung PN60F5300 | Sony BDP-S1700 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12

2.0: Oppo DV-980H | Apple Airport Express | Topping D30 | Parasound HCA-1500a | Chane A1.4
post #51 of 154 Old 12-05-2018, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Interesting - I will try before I pack them

In terms of stands, I really want a minimalist look and the size of the speakers is already at my upper limit of minimalist, hence if I'm switching to 2.1 the sub will most likely be wireless and/or hidden behind the black reading chair (which is original from the 50's/60's btw) - my wife had it restored, it was her grandfather's - 90 yrs old and still kickin'.
yup try setting them flat ( no toe in) like Zorba recommended.

-Try bringing them forward maybe an inch or two
-Try setting them nearly flat against the back wall
-etc

post #52 of 154 Old 12-05-2018, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
Listening in nearfield is a much different animal than at a distance. A big issue is the distance between your driver origins. If they are close together, or concentric, you don’t hear each driver as a separate point source. Whereas a bigger bookshelf can create this effect and the sound is not good.

Studio monitors generally keep their tweeter and woofer very close together for this reason, and are designed to be listened to at a close distance.

Coaxial speakers also work well in nearfield because there is only ever a single point source.

I would suggest the KEF Q150 as a good passive nearfield Monitor. Failing that, the JBL 305P is the best choice around this price range.

I would probably want to stay away from the Kef Q150 as they are rear ported no? The rear speakers will be inches from the wall...

post #53 of 154 Old 12-05-2018, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I would probably want to stay away from the Kef Q150 as they are rear ported no? The rear speakers will be inches from the wall...
Generally yes,

But every speaker will react differently to different rooms.

i have used rear ported SX6 with great results only inches away from the back wall with a similar setup to yours.

thats why i mentioned the front ported q100's @ $296 CDN but they only have black left.

it's really hard to say until you try it imo.

since your not near the corner's of the room at may be fine.

Did you have any lucky playing with the positioning of the wharfedales?

post #54 of 154 Old 12-05-2018, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked: 1626
Quote:

Sorry meant to say Q100, it has a coaxial driver and is front ported so it will work very well on a desk.

5.1: Samsung PN60F5300 | Sony BDP-S1700 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12

2.0: Oppo DV-980H | Apple Airport Express | Topping D30 | Parasound HCA-1500a | Chane A1.4
post #55 of 154 Old 12-05-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
In terms of stands, I really want a minimalist look and the size of the speakers is already at my upper limit of minimalist,
Then just use wedges to tilt the speakers as much upwards as possible. Yoga wedges would be great actually:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C3GMFN5

Or speaker pads but these won't give you as high an angle:
https://www.amazon.com/Sound-Addicte.../dp/B07BRPM8K8

And do NOT toe in desktop speakers, unless they are crappy and weak little computer speakers that really need it.

post #56 of 154 Old 12-05-2018, 08:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 45
White Kef Eggs still on BF sale pricing at AC4L.com at $249.99 and think they meet most of your requirements. Don't have a lot of time to go on about them, but running them for a couple years now with a small 8" sub and extremely happy with setup. They're white, front ported, and easy to setup.

DJ_JonnyV
post #57 of 154 Old 12-06-2018, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Then just use wedges to tilt the speakers as much upwards as possible. Yoga wedges would be great actually:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C3GMFN5

Or speaker pads but these won't give you as high an angle:
https://www.amazon.com/Sound-Addicte.../dp/B07BRPM8K8

And do NOT toe in desktop speakers, unless they are crappy and weak little computer speakers that really need it.
Thanks for all the to tips to try and make these bad boys work! Tried everything - my yoga blocks, bringing them closer an inch - back towards the wall, no toe in - nothing seems to work - I can only believe that, while a good speaker, these perform poorly as near field speakers.

I might return the amp to amazon too if I can and simply pick up some powered speakers with a sub - not sure yet. I really like the way the audioengine P4s look (passive), but the kef eggs look great too.

I'm cautious on purchasing the kef Q100's as, although it would be sweet to have the sound of great bookshelf speakers (which is what I've been trying to achieve - 2.0 sound), I don't think bookshelf speakers will work in this application

Keff Eggs
AudioEngine P4 or A2+ (I don't think the A5+ are a benefit if purchasing a sub)

Or I could say f**k white speakers and go with an active monitor - these are guaranteed to sound great nearfield right - or am I still playing with fire... I don't wanna play with fire anymore

post #58 of 154 Old 12-06-2018, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for all the to tips to try and make these bad boys work! Tried everything - my yoga blocks, bringing them closer an inch - back towards the wall, no toe in - nothing seems to work - I can only believe that, while a good speaker, these perform poorly as near field speakers.

I might return the amp to amazon too if I can and simply pick up some powered speakers with a sub - not sure yet. I really like the way the audioengine P4s look (passive), but the kef eggs look great too.

I'm cautious on purchasing the kef Q100's as, although it would be sweet to have the sound of great bookshelf speakers (which is what I've been trying to achieve - 2.0 sound), I don't think bookshelf speakers will work in this application

Keff Eggs

Or I could say f**k white speakers and go with an active monitor - these are guaranteed to sound great nearfield right - or am I still playing with fire... I don't wanna play with fire anymore

I use my Q100 nearfield for my desktop near the walls with ton's of bass(very similar setup to you and similar size room it appears).
remember the Q100's are front ported(not rear like the Q150's). What are you cautious about?

Q100's uni-q driver make phenomenal near-field speakers.

post #59 of 154 Old 12-06-2018, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Keff Eggs

Speakers are very personal and room dependent. You'll get tons of opinions as you already received. I think the best advice is to be sure to get speakers with a generous return policy. Audioengine has a good one and I believe you just have to pay for shipping.

KEF is awesome but I don't like that they only have a one year warranty for the electronics of their speakers. The KEF LSX is similar to the EGG (4.5" driver, .75" tweeter) and newer but it could be above your budget.
post #60 of 154 Old 12-06-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Yeah I never understood why you're so hung up on white. Your desk is white, but really having your speakers be white too adds nothing, in fact having them the same color as your monitors would actually make more sense aesthetically...right now the contrast with your monitors is kind of an eyesore, IMO.

If you want to go with active monitors, these QAs are a good bet for sheer convenience, and QA is known for a neutral/slightly-warm sound signature.
https://www.amazon.com/Acoustics-Pow...+acoustics+bt3

But personally, I'd go with these $118/pr NHT SuperZeros and the Emotiva S8 sub before I'd get any AudioEngine speakers.
https://www.amazon.com/NHT-SuperZero...zero+2.1&psc=1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page