Computer Speakers - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 154 Old 12-06-2018, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 1,010
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sannitig View Post
Or I could say f**k white speakers and go with an active monitor - these are guaranteed to sound great nearfield right - or am I still playing with fire... I don't wanna play with fire anymore
Yeah I never understood why you're so hung up on white. Your desk is white, but really having your speakers be white too adds nothing, in fact having them the same color as your monitors would actually make more sense aesthetically...right now the contrast with your monitors is kind of an eyesore, IMO.

If you want to go with active monitors, these QAs are a good bet for sheer convenience, and QA is known for a neutral/slightly-warm sound signature.
https://www.amazon.com/Acoustics-Pow...+acoustics+bt3

But personally, I'd go with these $118/pr NHT SuperZeros and the Emotiva S8 sub before I'd get any AudioEngine speakers.
https://www.amazon.com/NHT-SuperZero...zero+2.1&psc=1
Good recommendations but Canada 😞
I dont know what the prices are here

Speakers: KEF Q100, Q300, Q750, Q650C / Fluance Signature Series Bookshelf, SX6, XL5F/ Mirage M-190 / DCM TP160S-CH Subwoofers: Outlaw Ultra X12 (x2) / BIC H100-II
Receiver: Denon AVR-X4500H, AVR-X1400H Integrated Amplifier: Yamaha A-S501/ Fosi Audio TPA3116 mini amp Extras: MiniDSP Umik-1 Amplifier: Emotiva BasX-A300
macgallant is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 154 Old 12-06-2018, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 12,782
Mentioned: 223 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7172 Post(s)
Liked: 5474
Peachtree is also worth looking into, they are known for high quality super compact boutique amps.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077R97JHR/

One of the reviews for this smaller 4" version directly compares it to an AudioEngine speaker:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077V8M4TG/

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
post #63 of 154 Old 12-06-2018, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 12,782
Mentioned: 223 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7172 Post(s)
Liked: 5474
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgallant View Post
Good recommendations but Canada 😞
I dont know what the prices are here
oy, Canada...I forgot.

Aside from the NHTs which Amazon.ca does carry, for active speakers this would probably be the safest bet then:
https://www.amazon.ca/JBL-2-Way-Powe...words=jbl+305p

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #64 of 154 Old 12-06-2018, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 1,010
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 303
the Adam t7v (7" driver) is on sale for $550 CDN (pair) at long and mcquaid. i just got my flyer today. These powered monitors kick some serious ass!

these are worth checking out. Long and mcquaid also has a super easy / casual return policy

edit: correction they are $698
Transmaniacon likes this.

Speakers: KEF Q100, Q300, Q750, Q650C / Fluance Signature Series Bookshelf, SX6, XL5F/ Mirage M-190 / DCM TP160S-CH Subwoofers: Outlaw Ultra X12 (x2) / BIC H100-II
Receiver: Denon AVR-X4500H, AVR-X1400H Integrated Amplifier: Yamaha A-S501/ Fosi Audio TPA3116 mini amp Extras: MiniDSP Umik-1 Amplifier: Emotiva BasX-A300

Last edited by macgallant; 12-07-2018 at 04:27 AM.
macgallant is offline  
post #65 of 154 Old 12-07-2018, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
sannitig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgallant View Post
I use my Q100 nearfield for my desktop near the walls with ton's of bass(very similar setup to you and similar size room it appears).
remember the Q100's are front ported(not rear like the Q150's). What are you cautious about?

Q100's uni-q driver make phenomenal near-field speakers.

I'm cautious about buying another set of bookshelves and ending up with the same scenario as it's difficult to test speakers out here in Canada.


Damn those Adam t7v look to be bad ass - but alas, they are rear ported and too big for my desk. Build a bigger desk? lol
I have been looking at the JBL 305P a few times now. Perhaps I can test out a set of Kef Q100s first to ensure this whole "bookshelf" scenario doesn't keep repeating itself - could the scenario be caused by room dimension - I mean it's a pretty normal room.


If the kefs fail I will simply buy the Eggs or the A2+'s with a woofer


One thing I've noticed is that no one hear ever said "oh yea - those audioengines should be good." I've never really heard of them before - are they a crap brand, is that why no one has told me to grab em? They are expensive that's for sure.

Pioneer DEH-X9500BHS | Pioneer GM-D8604 | JBL P660C | JBL P963 | Pioneer GM-D9601 | Infinity Kappa 120.9W Sealed
sannitig is offline  
post #66 of 154 Old 12-07-2018, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 12,782
Mentioned: 223 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7172 Post(s)
Liked: 5474
Quote:
Originally Posted by sannitig View Post
One thing I've noticed is that no one hear ever said "oh yea - those audioengines should be good." I've never really heard of them before - are they a crap brand, is that why no one has told me to grab em? They are expensive that's for sure.
Not really CRAP, just marketing-driven overpriced and mediocre IMO. The catchy brand name is a good clue, as is the online review parade from gadget geek sites.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
post #67 of 154 Old 12-07-2018, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 1,010
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by sannitig View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgallant View Post
I use my Q100 nearfield for my desktop near the walls with ton's of bass(very similar setup to you and similar size room it appears).
remember the Q100's are front ported(not rear like the Q150's). What are you cautious about?

Q100's uni-q driver make phenomenal near-field speakers.

I'm cautious about buying another set of bookshelves and ending up with the same scenario as it's difficult to test speakers out here in Canada.


Damn those Adam t7v look to be bad ass - but alas, they are rear ported and too big for my desk. Build a bigger desk? lol
I have been looking at the JBL 305P a few times now. Perhaps I can test out a set of Kef Q100s first to ensure this whole "bookshelf" scenario doesn't keep repeating itself - could the scenario be caused by room dimension - I mean it's a pretty normal room.


If the kefs fail I will simply buy the Eggs or the A2+'s with a woofer


One thing I've noticed is that no one hear ever said "oh yea - those audioengines should be good." I've never really heard of them before - are they a crap brand, is that why no one has told me to grab em? They are expensive that's for sure.
If you check the link i posted above its from a Canadian retailer the q100's
Are $296, 2001audiovideo is in Canada. They Have front ports so they wont be affected by wall as much

Long and mcquaid carry a ton of powered monitors, they usually havr a bunch on demo too. Go have a listen, bring your phone / mp3

Speakers: KEF Q100, Q300, Q750, Q650C / Fluance Signature Series Bookshelf, SX6, XL5F/ Mirage M-190 / DCM TP160S-CH Subwoofers: Outlaw Ultra X12 (x2) / BIC H100-II
Receiver: Denon AVR-X4500H, AVR-X1400H Integrated Amplifier: Yamaha A-S501/ Fosi Audio TPA3116 mini amp Extras: MiniDSP Umik-1 Amplifier: Emotiva BasX-A300
macgallant is offline  
post #68 of 154 Old 12-08-2018, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
sannitig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
But personally, I'd go with these $118/pr NHT SuperZeros and the Emotiva S8 sub before I'd get any AudioEngine speakers.
https://www.amazon.com/NHT-SuperZero...zero+2.1&psc=1
True enough - I have the emotiva S8 as my HT sub (due to space limitations) and it really like it - it's not amazing but it's good for what it is. If I were to go with sat speakers like the A2+'s would you recommend anything? I don't want to go with bookshelf any longer as I could clearly hear the woofer. I think the speakers, because of my room and desk location, should stick to the mids and highs, let the sub do the rest.

Pioneer DEH-X9500BHS | Pioneer GM-D8604 | JBL P660C | JBL P963 | Pioneer GM-D9601 | Infinity Kappa 120.9W Sealed
sannitig is offline  
post #69 of 154 Old 12-08-2018, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 12,782
Mentioned: 223 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7172 Post(s)
Liked: 5474
Quote:
Originally Posted by sannitig View Post
True enough - I have the emotiva S8 as my HT sub (due to space limitations) and it really like it - it's not amazing but it's good for what it is. If I were to go with sat speakers like the A2+'s would you recommend anything? I don't want to go with bookshelf any longer as I could clearly hear the woofer. I think the speakers, because of my room and desk location, should stick to the mids and highs, let the sub do the rest.
Yes, but the problem with a small powered speaker like the A2 is that for sales/marketing purposes, it will try to overcompensate for its tiny 2.75" woofer by artificially boosting the mid-bass and also emphasizing the highs, which typically results in a recessed/weak midrange, a.k.a. "smiley shaped EQ curve."

A speaker like the NHT SuperZero on the other hand is DESIGNED to be used WITH a sub, so it does NOT try to overcompensate (and its woofer is almost double the size, 4.5" not 2.75") ... the result is you will get much higher quality, balanced and full midrange and highs.

Physics is physics, an inflated pricetag can never change that simple reality.
DJ_JonnyV likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
post #70 of 154 Old 12-08-2018, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
sannitig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Yes, but the problem with a small powered speaker like the A2 is that for sales/marketing purposes, it will try to overcompensate for its tiny 2.75" woofer by artificially boosting the mid-bass and also emphasizing the highs, which typically results in a recessed/weak midrange, a.k.a. "smiley shaped EQ curve."

A speaker like the NHT SuperZero on the other hand is DESIGNED to be used WITH a sub, so it does NOT try to overcompensate (and its woofer is almost double the size, 4.5" not 2.75") ... the result is you will get much higher quality, balanced and full midrange and highs.

Physics is physics, an inflated pricetag can never change that simple reality.
Agreed. I am interested in the sound of the NHT SZ just not the size or looks, still though, I am intrigued. Would you mind taking a look at this?

http://noaudiophile.com/AudioEngine_A2_Plus/
http://noaudiophile.com/AudioEngine_P4/

Crazy how stuff like this gets such good reviews from the general masses.

I'm going to see if I can purchase both SZ, P4s and A2+ from places with good return policies and have a go at them all. I'm forgoing the WHITE as well, it is a little tacky I think

Pioneer DEH-X9500BHS | Pioneer GM-D8604 | JBL P660C | JBL P963 | Pioneer GM-D9601 | Infinity Kappa 120.9W Sealed
sannitig is offline  
post #71 of 154 Old 12-08-2018, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 12,782
Mentioned: 223 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7172 Post(s)
Liked: 5474
Quote:
Originally Posted by sannitig View Post
Agreed. I am interested in the sound of the NHT SZ just not the size or looks, still though, I am intrigued. Would you mind taking a look at this?

http://noaudiophile.com/AudioEngine_A2_Plus/
http://noaudiophile.com/AudioEngine_P4/

Crazy how stuff like this gets such good reviews from the general masses.

I'm going to see if I can purchase both SZ, P4s and A2+ from places with good return policies and have a go at them all. I'm forgoing the WHITE as well, it is a little tacky I think
Ha, yeah I'm familiar with his reviews, esp. his habit of EQing the hell out of bad speakers and then saying they're ok only as a result of doing so, hilarious. But judging from what he wrote about the A2 and the SVS Primes, we probably have similar tastes.

Amazon has good return policies.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
post #72 of 154 Old 12-08-2018, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 1,010
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by sannitig View Post
Agreed. I am interested in the sound of the NHT SZ just not the size or looks, still though, I am intrigued. Would you mind taking a look at this?

http://noaudiophile.com/AudioEngine_A2_Plus/
http://noaudiophile.com/AudioEngine_P4/

Crazy how stuff like this gets such good reviews from the general masses.

I'm going to see if I can purchase both SZ, P4s and A2+ from places with good return policies and have a go at them all. I'm forgoing the WHITE as well, it is a little tacky I think
you really owe it to yourself to go check out the powered monitors at Long and Mcquaid before you make any decisions.

they carry JBL, Mackie, Adam etc



i think you may even be able to rent some for dirt cheap as well(not 100% but ask if they have any powered monitors for rental)

this would allow you to check out multiple models before commiting
sdg4vfx likes this.

Speakers: KEF Q100, Q300, Q750, Q650C / Fluance Signature Series Bookshelf, SX6, XL5F/ Mirage M-190 / DCM TP160S-CH Subwoofers: Outlaw Ultra X12 (x2) / BIC H100-II
Receiver: Denon AVR-X4500H, AVR-X1400H Integrated Amplifier: Yamaha A-S501/ Fosi Audio TPA3116 mini amp Extras: MiniDSP Umik-1 Amplifier: Emotiva BasX-A300
macgallant is offline  
post #73 of 154 Old 12-08-2018, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
sannitig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Just my order in for the NHT SZ - $83 each and probably need no EQ corrections. Just makes more sense, let's see how the do with SMSL amp when they come on Wednesday. I have a feeling because they're sealed I won't have any issues and they'll JUST WORK! lol

Pioneer DEH-X9500BHS | Pioneer GM-D8604 | JBL P660C | JBL P963 | Pioneer GM-D9601 | Infinity Kappa 120.9W Sealed
sannitig is offline  
post #74 of 154 Old 12-08-2018, 04:51 PM
 
WinMod21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 716
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by sannitig View Post
Thanks Steve only one problem I see right away - they're not white.
I agree. If I went 2.1 I would get good 2"-3" speakers and get a good wireless subwoofer to hide somewhere. I'd like to see if I can avoid the extra speaker though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sannitig View Post
Just my order in for the NHT SZ - $83 each and probably need no EQ corrections. Just makes more sense, let's see how the do with SMSL amp when they come on Wednesday. I have a feeling because they're sealed I won't have any issues and they'll JUST WORK! lol
If you hadn't gone with the NHT SZ's... and had given these Kanto YU6's a try-out... and if white was still a requirement , I wonder how they might've worked out for you? Several pro reviews are quite good— with high ratings from several pro reviewers. Also no need for a small class-D amp; so no SMSL amp needed. They also have an RCA LFE Sub Out— for adding sub for 2.1 (that you already have?); the YU6's connectivity options are superior to most other powered speakers. They also have RCA pre-amp built-in for direct phono connection, plus Aux, (2) Optical inputs, a USB charge port, a ground wire connector, (2) +/- speaker wire binding posts that accept banana plugs, plus seamless bluetooth aptX connectivity. Although $399 on amazon, so I think more than you wanted to spend. Anyhoo, Kanto was born in Canada, and are supposedly good for pairing with computers and bluetooth etc.

https://kantoaudio.com/product/yu6/

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...-system-review

Kanto YU6's @ abt .com website ...(sometimes link doesn't work, and says 'un-secure')

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...qh_dp_hza?th=1

https://www.audioadvice.com/content/...er-comparison/

. . . Hmm. As I read on, notwithstanding some critical and negative reviews (on amazon and elsewhere) regarding the YU6's being too bright and unbalanced.

Last edited by WinMod21; 12-08-2018 at 05:24 PM.
WinMod21 is offline  
post #75 of 154 Old 12-08-2018, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 12,782
Mentioned: 223 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7172 Post(s)
Liked: 5474
Quote:
Originally Posted by sannitig View Post
Just my order in for the NHT SZ - $83 each and probably need no EQ corrections. Just makes more sense, let's see how the do with SMSL amp when they come on Wednesday. I have a feeling because they're sealed I won't have any issues and they'll JUST WORK! lol
good luck, and keep us posted...this has become a rather interesting thread.
WinMod21 likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
post #76 of 154 Old 12-08-2018, 05:55 PM
Member
 
johnlewisgrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
really crazy idea: a very used pair of mackie hr 824s.... 400 a pair CAN? the only problem is that the raw power of these may overwhelm your space. they are midfields, not nearfields; but I've used them in my small office, no problem. Massive bass. Very flat. Not as good high-end as, say, Neumann 301s, but they're 5k a pair CAN!!! Still, very, very good for general listening and will blow most typical active desktop speakers clean out of the water.
johnlewisgrant is offline  
post #77 of 154 Old 12-08-2018, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
sannitig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 19
In terms of the Kanto YU6 speakers ($519 CAD) I've considered them, then I considered them and after that I considered them some more lol - I had no idea they are Canadian, but I did notice them at Bay Bloor on Thursday. During this whole thread I've googled them with "vs audioengine a5+" attached. I'm trying to avoid rear ported speakers though as these will be inches from the wall and I've read over and over this is a big no no. They do look pretty cool for a desk though, you can't really ask for more in terms of connectivity - and no, to your question: I do not have a subwoofer yet... Will that be another thread? Lol

Mackie hr 824s - you wanna be hardcore? Is there such thing as too much power in a small room - I always felt, no, there's no such thing. They have these at Long and Mcquade, will listen when I get out there. I think these are rear ported too and one can only wonder if they would succumb to the dead bass zone at my desk chair as well...

I don't think I want something flat, I want something that's musical. I know everyone goes for flat but these monitors (and many others, hopefully not the SZ I just bought) play so well that they also make "poor" recordings sound very poor. They can't "handle anything you throw at them". I hardly have flac files as my music is hard to come by in flac as it's usually a 2 hr mp3 club mix from mixmag or "the lab". It's not ****, distorted music but most audiophiles would say it is.
WinMod21 likes this.

Pioneer DEH-X9500BHS | Pioneer GM-D8604 | JBL P660C | JBL P963 | Pioneer GM-D9601 | Infinity Kappa 120.9W Sealed
sannitig is offline  
post #78 of 154 Old 12-09-2018, 05:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KenM10759's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Central MA USA
Posts: 5,714
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3437 Post(s)
Liked: 1918
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_JonnyV View Post
White Kef Eggs still on BF sale pricing at AC4L.com at $249.99 and think they meet most of your requirements. Don't have a lot of time to go on about them, but running them for a couple years now with a small 8" sub and extremely happy with setup. They're white, front ported, and easy to setup.
I picked up a pair of the blue KEF Egg for my bench at work, and got them for the $249.99 from Accessories4Less.com deal.

Very impressive, ideal near-field performance from the little Uni-Q driver in the sealed enclosure and does NOT dominate the desktop (workbench top in my case.) I picked up an old Totem Dreamcatcher 7.5" "woofer" for $131 off eBay, and though I need to service the amp to get rid of a little buzz, it definitely fills in all the lows I need for music.

In my home office I have a pair of KEF LS50's paired with a KEF Kube 10b sub, so I do know what a really good desktop system can do. This sub $400 investment gets really close to that performance for a fraction of the cost and 1/4 the size.
DJ_JonnyV likes this.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Office: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red. Guest room: Hafler 300 L-R, KEF Reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, modded M&K V-90 sub, Bluesound Vault 2.
KenM10759 is online now  
post #79 of 154 Old 12-09-2018, 06:57 AM
 
WinMod21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 716
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Ah yes, the ol’ transactional rates; wasn’t thinking about them. Moreover, it’s looking like nearly all the [AudioEngine A5+ vs. Kanto YU6] comparisons give the nod to the AudioEngine’s as being superior; warmer, smoother, more balanced and appealing. Same might apply to the AudioEngine A2+ vs. YU2’s. Yet inexplicably, I/O wise, the AE’s don’t have any Optical inputs !:-\

Agree with Zorba as to rather interesting thread. =) No need for a sub-thread, methinks.
WinMod21 is offline  
post #80 of 154 Old 12-09-2018, 10:12 AM
Member
 
johnlewisgrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sannitig View Post
In terms of the Kanto YU6 speakers ($519 CAD) I've considered them, then I considered them and after that I considered them some more lol - I had no idea they are Canadian, but I did notice them at Bay Bloor on Thursday. During this whole thread I've googled them with "vs audioengine a5+" attached. I'm trying to avoid rear ported speakers though as these will be inches from the wall and I've read over and over this is a big no no. They do look pretty cool for a desk though, you can't really ask for more in terms of connectivity - and no, to your question: I do not have a subwoofer yet... Will that be another thread? Lol

Mackie hr 824s - you wanna be hardcore? Is there such thing as too much power in a small room - I always felt, no, there's no such thing. They have these at Long and Mcquade, will listen when I get out there. I think these are rear ported too and one can only wonder if they would succumb to the dead bass zone at my desk chair as well...

I don't think I want something flat, I want something that's musical. I know everyone goes for flat but these monitors (and many others, hopefully not the SZ I just bought) play so well that they also make "poor" recordings sound very poor. They can't "handle anything you throw at them". I hardly have flac files as my music is hard to come by in flac as it's usually a 2 hr mp3 club mix from mixmag or "the lab". It's not ****, distorted music but most audiophiles would say it is.

Mackie hr 824 are not ported. They're 3 way, with the bass via radiator at the back of the unit. The bass is rock solid. And, they ARE musical, which is why a lot of sound engineers criticize them. L&M don't market them anymore, and although the Bloor St. store has the best monitor room in town (at least from my experience), the L&M folks talk down Mackie HRs because they don't stock them anymore. They MIGHT have a pair set up .... just possibly... and I actually heard them and purchased them at L&M, years a ago. I'm going to pick up a second pair, but used.



Here's another comparison. I have a pair of ProAc Response One SCs. Front ported speakers. Very pricey when I bought them. They still get rave reviews for being musical speakers, but I'd take my much cheaper (active) Mackie HRs over them any day, in every department: musicality, tight responsive bass, will play VERY loud or VERY quiet.



But it's all subjective, in the end. Some folks like ported bass, for example. I don't.
johnlewisgrant is offline  
post #81 of 154 Old 12-09-2018, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
sannitig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I honestly would probably jump on the Mackie 824s - having never heard them and going solely based on what you're saying - I have this feeling that they would be right for me because of the sheer power and you're saying they're musical (which is my jam, musical and powerful). I think the JBL 305p are like this as well and I feel like I would like these.

Buying these speakers would be perfect if my room/desk wasn't messed up. Remember, both the Polk RTI4 and the Warfedale Diamond 220 displayed the same properties when sitting near field (zero low-end and tons of woofer noise). My goal now is essentially trying to eliminate the bass coming from the speakers and going with a sub instead - hence if these NHT SZ fail me and I hear the woofers like I did with WD 220s, I will simply get Kef Eggs with a basx8 sub and be done with it. Or go crazy and a more powerful sub muahahaha.

Having said all this about bookshelf speakers, maybe the Mackie 824s are different, but they are WAY too big...

The NHS SZ are coming Wednesday and I have till Friday to return the AMP - so I'll be testing them asap when I get them

Pioneer DEH-X9500BHS | Pioneer GM-D8604 | JBL P660C | JBL P963 | Pioneer GM-D9601 | Infinity Kappa 120.9W Sealed
sannitig is offline  
post #82 of 154 Old 12-13-2018, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
sannitig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Tried the speakers - I like them and again, sound way better at the back of the room as usual and the null bass spot in the chair still exists. I think I'm just going to purchase Kanto YU2 and a sub and be done with it. It is more minimalist and ends up being cheaper than the 2 NHT SZ and an amp.


It's too back the Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 is ugly as it seems to get good reviews besides being a little boomy, but I'm cool with boomy for PC use - yea I said it - if I can't have the 2.0 sound I wanted I'm going cheap pc speakers!!! lol


But seriously I am going to try the YU2 as design is actually quite important and sound perfection is not, but it must sound noticeably better than the Z-2300 system


I will need a sub to pair up with them. Something tight and powerful that will cross well.

Pioneer DEH-X9500BHS | Pioneer GM-D8604 | JBL P660C | JBL P963 | Pioneer GM-D9601 | Infinity Kappa 120.9W Sealed
sannitig is offline  
post #83 of 154 Old 12-14-2018, 05:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 6,610
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked: 1628
Quote:
Originally Posted by sannitig View Post
I honestly would probably jump on the Mackie 824s - having never heard them and going solely based on what you're saying - I have this feeling that they would be right for me because of the sheer power and you're saying they're musical (which is my jam, musical and powerful). I think the JBL 305p are like this as well and I feel like I would like these.



Buying these speakers would be perfect if my room/desk wasn't messed up. Remember, both the Polk RTI4 and the Warfedale Diamond 220 displayed the same properties when sitting near field (zero low-end and tons of woofer noise). My goal now is essentially trying to eliminate the bass coming from the speakers and going with a sub instead - hence if these NHT SZ fail me and I hear the woofers like I did with WD 220s, I will simply get Kef Eggs with a basx8 sub and be done with it. Or go crazy and a more powerful sub muahahaha.



Having said all this about bookshelf speakers, maybe the Mackie 824s are different, but they are WAY too big...



The NHS SZ are coming Wednesday and I have till Friday to return the AMP - so I'll be testing them asap when I get them

Why not drop down to a typical sized studio monitor? The JBL 305 is fine for a desktop, and is designed to be used in nearfield like that.

5.1: Samsung PN60F5300 | Sony BDP-S1700 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12

2.0: Oppo DV-980H | Apple Airport Express | Topping D30 | Parasound HCA-1500a | Chane A1.4
Transmaniacon is offline  
post #84 of 154 Old 12-14-2018, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
sannitig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
Why not drop down to a typical sized studio monitor? The JBL 305 is fine for a desktop, and is designed to be used in nearfield like that.
I ended up getting the Kanto YU2 speakers. Will be getting them in a week's time

Pioneer DEH-X9500BHS | Pioneer GM-D8604 | JBL P660C | JBL P963 | Pioneer GM-D9601 | Infinity Kappa 120.9W Sealed
sannitig is offline  
post #85 of 154 Old 12-21-2018, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
sannitig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Flip flopping on Kanto YU2 and Kef Eggs - I will make a decision soon lol


Any musical subwoofers you'd recommend? I like the BasX8 for it's size but I'm not sure it's the best choice. Maye it's just me but I prefer my sealed Infinity Kappa 12" @ 800w in my car. Obviously the output is much more but I feel like it's tighter.


I can always default to the BasX8 if I have to but I'm sure there are much much better choices that I just don't know about.


I also don't want anyone to think I simply ignored the speaker choices that were suggested - had my room not had a null bass spot, this thread would have been over a long time ago and I would have had my 2 channel sound that I wanted. Thank you all again, I've learnt a lot and am using this thread as a reference for later in life (or when I move).

Pioneer DEH-X9500BHS | Pioneer GM-D8604 | JBL P660C | JBL P963 | Pioneer GM-D9601 | Infinity Kappa 120.9W Sealed

Last edited by sannitig; 12-21-2018 at 08:49 PM.
sannitig is offline  
post #86 of 154 Old 12-21-2018, 09:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 1,010
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by sannitig View Post
Flip flopping on Kanto YU2 and Kef Eggs - I will make a decision soon lol


Any musical subwoofers you'd recommend? I like the BasX8 for it's size but I'm not sure it's the best choice. Maye it's just me but I prefer my sealed Infinity Kappa 12" @ 800w in my car. Obviously the output is much more but I feel like it's tighter.


I can always default to the BasX8 if I have to but I'm sure there are much much better choices that I just don't know about.


I also don't want anyone to think I simply ignored the speaker choices that were suggested - had my room not had a null bass spot, this thread would have been over a long time ago and I would have had my 2 channel sound that I wanted. Thank you all again, I've learnt a lot and am using this thread as a reference for later in life (or when I move).
KEF kube 10. @ visions under $500 CDN
Destroys the sb1000 in sq.
KenM10759 likes this.

Speakers: KEF Q100, Q300, Q750, Q650C / Fluance Signature Series Bookshelf, SX6, XL5F/ Mirage M-190 / DCM TP160S-CH Subwoofers: Outlaw Ultra X12 (x2) / BIC H100-II
Receiver: Denon AVR-X4500H, AVR-X1400H Integrated Amplifier: Yamaha A-S501/ Fosi Audio TPA3116 mini amp Extras: MiniDSP Umik-1 Amplifier: Emotiva BasX-A300
macgallant is offline  
post #87 of 154 Old 12-21-2018, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
sannitig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Kef Kube 10 is $598CAD at visions


Is this comparable to the Totem Kin? $500 @ bay bloor radio


Both damn expense but yea - especially if I end up buying the kef eggs, I'm at $1200 plus tax!! or I could just buy the Kanto YU2 and a BasX8 lol


White Kef Eggs with White Totem Kin - so pretty

Pioneer DEH-X9500BHS | Pioneer GM-D8604 | JBL P660C | JBL P963 | Pioneer GM-D9601 | Infinity Kappa 120.9W Sealed
sannitig is offline  
post #88 of 154 Old 12-21-2018, 10:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Soulburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 4,901
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1634
Rythmik L12

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/L12.html

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
Soulburner is offline  
post #89 of 154 Old 12-22-2018, 12:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 6,610
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked: 1628
Quote:
Originally Posted by sannitig View Post
Flip flopping on Kanto YU2 and Kef Eggs - I will make a decision soon lol


Any musical subwoofers you'd recommend? I like the BasX8 for it's size but I'm not sure it's the best choice. Maye it's just me but I prefer my sealed Infinity Kappa 12" @ 800w in my car. Obviously the output is much more but I feel like it's tighter.


I can always default to the BasX8 if I have to but I'm sure there are much much better choices that I just don't know about.


I also don't want anyone to think I simply ignored the speaker choices that were suggested - had my room not had a null bass spot, this thread would have been over a long time ago and I would have had my 2 channel sound that I wanted. Thank you all again, I've learnt a lot and am using this thread as a reference for later in life (or when I move).


JBL Sub 550P is $189 right now, sealed and musical sub.

5.1: Samsung PN60F5300 | Sony BDP-S1700 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12

2.0: Oppo DV-980H | Apple Airport Express | Topping D30 | Parasound HCA-1500a | Chane A1.4
Transmaniacon is offline  
post #90 of 154 Old 12-22-2018, 04:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 1,010
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sannitig View Post
Flip flopping on Kanto YU2 and Kef Eggs - I will make a decision soon lol


Any musical subwoofers you'd recommend? I like the BasX8 for it's size but I'm not sure it's the best choice. Maye it's just me but I prefer my sealed Infinity Kappa 12" @ 800w in my car. Obviously the output is much more but I feel like it's tighter.


I can always default to the BasX8 if I have to but I'm sure there are much much better choices that I just don't know about.


I also don't want anyone to think I simply ignored the speaker choices that were suggested - had my room not had a null bass spot, this thread would have been over a long time ago and I would have had my 2 channel sound that I wanted. Thank you all again, I've learnt a lot and am using this thread as a reference for later in life (or when I move).


JBL Sub 550P is $189 right now, sealed and musical sub.
Not available in Canada though

Speakers: KEF Q100, Q300, Q750, Q650C / Fluance Signature Series Bookshelf, SX6, XL5F/ Mirage M-190 / DCM TP160S-CH Subwoofers: Outlaw Ultra X12 (x2) / BIC H100-II
Receiver: Denon AVR-X4500H, AVR-X1400H Integrated Amplifier: Yamaha A-S501/ Fosi Audio TPA3116 mini amp Extras: MiniDSP Umik-1 Amplifier: Emotiva BasX-A300
macgallant is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off