post #151 of 154 Old 05-27-2019, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1634
Quote:
Originally Posted by sannitig View Post
I got rid of that thing. I had it all set up, was happy about it and realized I didn't like the sound. It was very screechy - I think it's my room tbh.

It takes whatever you put in it and just mucks it up. The room is all hard, flat surfaces and is pretty much a perfect cube...

Having the speakers behind me really fixed up the bass response and eq'ing it did help a little bit with the sound. Not the best but it did help. Problem is that was eq'ing from my phone, if I cast via chromecast I would need a hardware eq.

I think I'm just going to get a good set of headphones and call it a day. I've learned a lot from this this thread and will use it for reference when I move out of this house into a different office that maybe has a carpeted floor!
A screechy sub? Sounds defective. Well, the Edifier S350DB sub is going to be much better. And, on all of these systems, since bass is handled almost exclusively by the sub (meaning the Left and Right speakers aren't given the signals to play it), it is movement of the sub that will help you find the best spot for bass.

But headphones would solve your room problems, assuming you were willing to give up soundstage and the stereo effect.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 154 Old 05-27-2019, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I've gone through a few setups for my PC. I've had logitech z-5500, polk audio bookshelf powered by a Harman Kardon stereo receiver, and now I use powered Edifier R2000DB. Edifier is probably my favorite for simplicity and connectivity. I also use Beyerdynamic DT770 headphones, which are also amazing for the money.

AVR: Yamaha RX-A3070 Main: Klipsch RP280 Center: Klipsch RP-450C Surround: Klipsch RB-41 II Subwoofer: HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #153 of 154 Old 05-27-2019, 01:43 PM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by sannitig View Post
... I am a little bit of a bass head. I love that it has bass, I don't love that it's kinda muddy and I don't love that there's a subwoofer on the ground now that I have my white adjustable standing desk I built last week . I love that it goes loud (I sometimes drink a bit too much wine and crank that sucker), I don't love that it's not very clear.
I don't know, a "bass head" without a sub is a bit like a coffee aficionado trying to enjoy decaf. Would a "creative" sub solution work? I'm thinking about one of these slim subs (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) mounted against the wall (assuming you have a wall) -- or one of these "under seat" car subs (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) or (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

I have the slim sub below tucked stealthily behind our refrigerator and it is invisible and rocks. I have one each of the Planet Waves and Rockville "under seat" subs tucked in between the ceiling joists of my basement for totally stealth bass and they are very good considering the size/cost (I'm powering the "under seat" car subs them with 12v DC power supplies).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 154 Old 05-27-2019, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Sorry I should have been more clear!

The screech was coming from the bookshelf speakers. My point was with the bookshelf speakers behind me, I didn't need a sub, I was impressed with the bass response after I moved them behind me.

Obviously a sub would be better because even though the bass was improved, it didn't sound "right". It seemed like a falsified, higher frequency, reverb off the walls and floor type bass. A bass that, if listened to for a normal amount of time, would probably make you want to turn the whole system off and listen to silence. Does that make sense?

The banshee rip off your face sound, however, was not corrected by putting the speakers behind me.

It was these ongoing issues that made decide to save my money and stop trying to deal with a bad room

Very cool slim sub btw

Pioneer DEH-X9500BHS | Pioneer GM-D8604 | JBL P660C | JBL P963 | Pioneer GM-D9601 | Infinity Kappa 120.9W Sealed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page