post #1 of 154 Old 11-05-2018, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Computer Speakers

Hoi hoi!

Background:
I have used a Logitech Z-2300 for the past TEN YEARS and have been generally happy with it, I am a little bit of a bass head. I love that it has bass, I don't love that it's kinda muddy and I don't love that there's a subwoofer on the ground now that I have my white adjustable standing desk I built last week . I love that it goes loud (I sometimes drink a bit too much wine and crank that sucker), I don't love that it's not very clear.

I am looking for:
A 2.0 system that will sound better than the "highly revered" Logitech Z-2300 - should be easy, except for bass levels.
Must be white and pretty
Must be somewhat easy to setup (either powered speakers, mini-amplifier or whatever a DAC is)
Must have standard connectivity (headphones, bluetooth would be a bonus I guess)
Should be front ported as they'll be inches away from a wall
Listening area is generally sitting at the desktop or in a chair off to the side in the same room - Room = 10"x13"
Absolutely no bigger than the AudioEngine A5+ (10.75"x7.75"x7") So pretty, but I think they're even a touch too large.
Total package should be around $500 CAD taxes in and shipped.

I was reading the reviews of the AudioEngine A5+ and found a great one:

They are great speakers, with an excellent sound! However for me it wasn't the right thing for me. A. the price for performance was a bit too steep. They are reasonably powerful, have a good sound, but are nothing special for something that costs about $600 after tax. B. they definitely needed a sub woofer (unless you don't listen to music that has much of bass(and no im not even a bass head)) and this partly comes back to the price of the speakers

Then I looked at the A2+'s because they are very sleek looking and this review pretty much sums up why I am here:

I've used these as my main for a while, with the internal DAC and with a Modi 2 Uber. They should only be considered if you have little space, and it's only for personal use. It was an upgrade from a 2.1 logitech system, which sounded muddy in hindsight. The bass obviously doesn't have a similar presence but everything was 'brought forward' and sounds good and clean. But for the amount of money (>$300) you should go and get some real bookshelf speakers. It's easy to fall for the slick promotional shots and size though.

I would appreciate any advice. I did even think about getting another 2.1 system or using my own and hanging the sub with a pc hanger but i think it looks messy since I'm already hanging my PC

Pioneer DEH-X9500BHS | Pioneer GM-D8604 | JBL P660C | JBL P963 | Pioneer GM-D9601 | Infinity Kappa 120.9W Sealed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 154 Old 11-05-2018, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7143 Post(s)
Liked: 5451
$300 would buy you a pair of Wharfedale 220 speakers from musicdirect.com plus a Lepai T-amp from Amazon, which would crush that A2.

Or, a pair of NHT SuperOnes ($97 apiece from Amazon) with a T-amp.
nexus99 and Banks1 like this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #3 of 154 Old 11-05-2018, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 408
A review stated good bass on these.

https://www.amazon.ca/Audio-Pro-Blue...difier+powered
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 154 Old 11-05-2018, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 17
You might take a look at the Fluance AI-40, they are available with a white face and have a sub out if you decide to go that route.

Another option might be the JBL soundsticks, I believe there was a standing desk manufacturer offering them as an option with the sub unit mounted underneath. Not sure if that involved a special bracket or if possible with the standard unit.
post #5 of 154 Old 11-05-2018, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the response guys.

I'm reading some interesting stuff about the 220s - they're apparently not the greatest sounding - I guess for the price?
Audio Pro Addon T14 - Any concerns about these rear ports being put up right against the wall? -also, quite the hefty price!
NHT SuperOnes - Interesting - I like the price and I can get used for $150 but I notice they look like old-school cheap plastic pc speakers
Fluance AI-40 - Really cool speakers but want all white

Gonna keep doing research but I'm open to more recommendations. Wish I had these all so I could test em!

Pioneer DEH-X9500BHS | Pioneer GM-D8604 | JBL P660C | JBL P963 | Pioneer GM-D9601 | Infinity Kappa 120.9W Sealed
post #6 of 154 Old 11-05-2018, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2328 Post(s)
Liked: 1660
I'm using a pair of Kef Eggs. http://us.kef.com/egg

They're a bit expensive ($500US), but they are very flexible. They have a USB input, so you don't even need a sound card (motherboard or discrete). They also have optical and Bluetooth inputs, and a subwoofer output. The sub output isn't all that common for small powered speakers. They are available in white.

Accessories4less has them for $300, if you're willing to consider a factory refurb.
post #7 of 154 Old 11-05-2018, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

post #8 of 154 Old 11-05-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sannitig View Post
I'm reading some interesting stuff about the 220s - they're apparently not the greatest sounding - I guess for the price?

NHT SuperOnes - Interesting - I like the price and I can get used for $150 but I notice they look like old-school cheap plastic pc speakers
The NHTs actually have a very elegant semi-glossy finish, which website photos do no justice to. Nothing plastic at all about them...that would be the lousy Logitechs you're coming from. (FWIW I had the 2300s too, they were what got me into real speakers because they sounded awful if turned up above background levels)

The 220s are very well reviewed if you google...if you are only reading on HT forums then yes many HT-heads don't like them because they are warm-neutral rather than the "bright" signature that HT users often prefer for movies. For example:
https://www.whathifi.com/wharfedale/diamond-220/review

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #9 of 154 Old 11-05-2018, 08:07 PM

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 3104 Post(s)
Liked: 3020
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocrh View Post
Good choice

----------------
Who AM I
post #10 of 154 Old 11-06-2018, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

I think I keep seeing the SuperXu instead of the SuperOnes - but I can't seem to find White SuperOnes for sale. Don't really know these speakers but want to know more.

I thought of the Keffs as well tbh - That's actually the first speaker that came to mind but I never took the plunge in the past. I always heard that they were too much of an audiophile sound and thus not to everyone's taste - whatever that means.

The Canton 426 idea seems pretty bad ass and I love this idea, although I really wish my desk was bigger (60"x36" with dual monitors). I'm actually starting to realize now that I probably won't have the space for anything decent. I may just have to go smaller - crappy deal... might as well just keep my crap Z-2300 - unless switching to a 2"-4" speaker is an upgrade?

Last edited by sannitig; 11-07-2018 at 10:49 AM.
post #11 of 154 Old 11-07-2018, 10:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think I keep seeing the SuperXu instead of the SuperOnes - but I can't seem to find White SuperOnes for sale. Don't really know these speakers but want to know more.

I thought of the Keffs as well tbh - That's actually the first speaker that came to mind but I never took the plunge in the past. I always heard that they were too much of an audiophile sound and thus not to everyone's taste - whatever that means.

The Canton 426 idea seems pretty bad ass and I love this idea, although I really wish my desk was bigger (60"x36" with dual monitors). I'm actually starting to realize now that I probably won't have the space for anything decent. I may just have to go smaller - crappy deal... might as well just keep my crap Z-2300 - unless switching to a 2"-4" speaker is an upgrade?
Don't give up, setup some sort of board across the back of desk that extends beyond the edge and put the Canton's on there or a sort of wall mount above a bit. You can get them that are adjustable. You can do it and well worth it!

https://www.amazon.com/WALI-Clamping...0WVKZ3R6XNSWM6
post #12 of 154 Old 11-07-2018, 10:59 PM

Quote:
The Canton 426 idea seems pretty bad ass and I love this idea, although I really wish my desk was bigger (60"x36" with dual monitors). I'm actually starting to realize now that I probably won't have the space for anything decent.
Not really. Just put the speakers on stands ON the desk, BEHIND your dual monitors so that the speakers actually sit above the monitors. Then use something to tilt the speakers downwards slightly, like rubber doorstop wedges or yoga wedges like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Trademark-Inn...ds=yoga+wedges

The NHT SuperOnes only come a range of colors, as long as it's black.

Another excellent super compact speaker is the Ascend 200SE but you will need at least a small sub to go with it, like an Emotiva BasX 8.

post #13 of 154 Old 11-08-2018, 12:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 3331 Post(s)
Liked: 2796
These would easily destroy those logitech speakers. They're white, pretty and well within budget.
https://www.2001audiovideo.com/en/ca...497-KEF-Q150-W
https://www.2001audiovideo.com/en/ca...itor-SE-ATOM-W
This amp should work well and has the features you need.
https://www.amazon.ca/Micca-OriGain-...ereo+amplifier
If you're a basshead you should definitely get a sub. The sub doesn't need to be under the desk. It can be placed out of your way in a corner or at back of the room since bass wave are non directional.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #14 of 154 Old 11-09-2018, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Let me just say - I love my BasX 8 in my living room. I needed something narrow and this thing performs. While you CAN hear it struggle at the listening level that I listen to sometimes, it still is the best bang for the buck for its small size. You really can't go wrong with it in a small-medium room or if you simply have size limitations. Mine is in an open concept living/dining/kitchen and although the deep bass isn't insane - it's "good enough" for the size. Would have purchased an RSL Speedwofer 10 if I had 3 more inches of space!

I never thought about hiding the sub elsewhere - interesting idea, it would have to be wireless (more ***** to decide on). Something worth looking into though - if this is the case I then I guess I wouldn't have to get a 4"-5" bookshelf - I can opt for little heavy 2"-3" speakers that blast no?

Those htm-200's seem to come only in black btw

post #15 of 154 Old 11-09-2018, 08:00 AM

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 3104 Post(s)
Liked: 3020
Quote:
The Canton 426 idea I love this idea,
Now, with the Black Friday price
https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...te-pair/1.html
cocrh likes this.

----------------
Who AM I
post #16 of 154 Old 11-11-2018, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Going to a few stereo stores to see what I can sample. The more I listen to my house music on my Z-2300 set - the more I believe I enjoy the mediocre bass vs the absence of it - Let's see what a pair of 5" bookshelves can do and if they can compare low end wise! Wish me luck!

post #17 of 154 Old 11-11-2018, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2321 Post(s)
Liked: 1532
Edifier R2000DB 5" Active Speakers with Analog/Optical Inputs and Bluetooth - $250/pair -

https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-R2000...dp/B01CDU3IAI/

https://www.edifier.com/us/en/speake...th-optical-rca

You won't find better than that for the money. I would rather have these, then some very low priced 2.1 system.

Steve/bluewizard
post #18 of 154 Old 11-11-2018, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewizard View Post
Edifier R2000DB 5" Active Speakers with Analog/Optical Inputs and Bluetooth - $250/pair -

https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-R2000...dp/B01CDU3IAI/
https://www.edifier.com/us/en/speake...th-optical-rca
Thanks Steve only one problem I see right away - they're not white.

[/QUOTE]You won't find better than that for the money. I would rather have these, then some very low priced 2.1 system.

Steve/bluewizard[/QUOTE]

I agree. If I went 2.1 I would get good 2"-3" speakers and get a good wireless subwoofer to hide somewhere. I'd like to see if I can avoid the extra speaker though.

post #19 of 154 Old 11-11-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Thanks Steve only one problem I see right away - they're not white.
If they absolutely must be white, I'd look at Q Acoustics:
https://www.qacoustics.com/bookshelf-speakers.html

post #20 of 154 Old 11-23-2018, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

After all that - I just can't think anymore. I am going to purchase the Audioengine P4W

https://www.amazon.ca/Audioengine-Pr...owViewpoints=1

I hear the A2+ have a high amount of port turbulence (which would drive me mad) so I settled for these P4W's.

Can anyone suggest an nice looking little amp (not some black thing) that would provide juice to these? Perhaps something with some more juice than the AudioEngine N22 - needs to have sub-out just in case. I'm in the process of buying a new motherboard too, perhaps I should get something with optical out??

Guys, I'm making some f*ck!ng progress here!

Last edited by sannitig; 11-23-2018 at 02:22 PM. Reason: need to have sub out
post #21 of 154 Old 11-23-2018, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

From my 4-6 hours of reading I've learnt the following.

Shut the f- up and get the Audioegine P4 speakers
Get whatever motherboard I want - who cares about the soundcard or optical or any of that
Get a dragonfly DAC that plugs into USB ---- necessary?
Get a 3.5Mmm cable that plugs from the DAC to a desktop amp (like the Audioengine N22) ---- seriously?
Then speaker wire from the amp to the speakers.

Concerns
This is damn expensive - is it worth adding a DAC when buying a brand new AM4 motherboard. External DACs blow onboard soundcards away?
Is a 3.5mm cable really the best way to send the analog signal to the amp? Seems kinda lame after spending all that money.

If I didn't have a serious day job as a network engineer I would be reading about this stuff all day and become a moderator - audio is literally the coolest.

post #22 of 154 Old 11-23-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
From my 4-6 hours of reading I've learnt the following.

Shut the f- up and get the Audioegine P4 speakers
Get whatever motherboard I want - who cares about the soundcard or optical or any of that
Get a dragonfly DAC that plugs into USB ---- necessary?
Get a 3.5Mmm cable that plugs from the DAC to a desktop amp (like the Audioengine N22) ---- seriously?
Then speaker wire from the amp to the speakers.

Concerns
This is damn expensive - is it worth adding a DAC when buying a brand new AM4 motherboard. External DACs blow onboard soundcards away?
Naw, forget the Audioengine and the DAC.

Best Buy currently has the ELAC 6.2 on sale for $150. Add this paperback-sized mini-amp for $125 and you're set---comes with its own DAC, connects to your computer via USB, even has a subwoofer pre-out for future expansion, as well as Bluetooth. That combo would kick that P4 into the next galaxy.

Pre-terminated speaker cables if you want the quickest laziest solution:
https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Aff...erminated&th=1

post #23 of 154 Old 11-24-2018, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

Damn man - why don't they make these speakers in white?? Also those speakers are biiiiggg.

I'm forgoing sound for colour (who have I become?).

What's the paper back amp you were referring too?

post #24 of 154 Old 11-24-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Damn man - why don't they make these speakers in white?? Also those speakers are biiiiggg.

I'm forgoing sound for colour (who have I become?).

What's the paper back amp you were referring too?
You want tiny speakers, you get tiny sound. Don't kid yourself.

Amp:
https://www.amazon.com/SMSL-AD18-Amp...lifier+and+dac

If you want white, QA 3020 or 3010:
https://www.qacoustics.com/bookshelf-speakers.html

post #25 of 154 Old 11-25-2018, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Proving difficult to find the QA 3020 or 3010 in white in Canada. I will keep looking though. *Never mind I can order directly from QA (which is awesome)*

Do you know if there is much of a difference between the 3010s and the 3020s - those 3010s seem to get some stellar reviews - but one can't help but think small speaker small sound - like you said.

Last edited by sannitig; 11-25-2018 at 04:26 PM.
post #26 of 154 Old 11-25-2018, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Do you know if there is much of a difference between the 3010s and the 3020s - those 3010s seem to get some stellar reviews - but one can't help but think small speaker small sound - like you said.
Yes. I would do the 3010 only for surrounds, or if under severe WAF and/or financial pressure.

post #27 of 154 Old 11-26-2018, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter

Just thought I would post this about the P4s - it's pretty embarrassing.

http://noaudiophile.com/AudioEngine_P4/

post #28 of 154 Old 11-26-2018, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 292
I just picked up a Fosi mini amp TPA3116 for $85 CAD free shipping

https://www.amazon.ca/Amplifier-Chan...=fosi+mini+amp

it's good for about 60w-65w RMS per channel @ 8 ohms

it's powering my GF's Fluance signature series bookshelves with plenty of bass/dynamics.

we use a cheap Behringer DAC UCA202 or 222 to connect the the PC/AMP

https://www.amazon.ca/Ultra-Low-Late.../dp/B000KW2YEI

this would leave you with roughly $350 for a pair of bookshelf

Speakers: KEF Q100, Q300, Q750, Q650C / Fluance Signature Series Bookshelf, SX6, XL5F/ Mirage M-190 / DCM TP160S-CH Subwoofers: Outlaw Ultra X12 (x2) / BIC H100-II
Receiver: Denon AVR-X4500H, AVR-X1400H Integrated Amplifier: Yamaha A-S501/ Fosi Audio TPA3116 mini amp Extras: MiniDSP Umik-1 Headphones: Philips SPH9500s / Audio Tech. ATH-M40x / Takstar Pro 82.

Last edited by macgallant; 11-26-2018 at 07:44 AM.
post #29 of 154 Old 11-26-2018, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Here are a few good Deals in Canada for speakers

PolkTSI200 ( my friend has these, not the most refined speaker but has a ton of bass) Dual 5 1/4" driver

https://www.visions.ca/Catalogue/Cat...ku=TSI200BLACK

Polk S20 (6 1/2" driver)

https://www.visions.ca/Catalogue/Cat...=33661&sku=S20

KEF Q150 (5 1/4" driver)
Black: https://www.visions.ca/Catalogue/Cat...5818&sku=Q150B
White: https://www.visions.ca/Catalogue/Cat...224&sku=Q150WH

Paradigm Mini Monitor 7 (6 1/2" driver)
https://gibbyselectronicsupermarket....es-7-blk-pair/

Wharfedale Diamond 225 ( 6 1/2" driver)

https://baybloorradio.com/wharfedale...-225-bookshelf

Wharfedale Diamond 220 (5 1/2" driver)

https://baybloorradio.com/wharfedale...-220-bookshelf

Speakers: KEF Q100, Q300, Q750, Q650C / Fluance Signature Series Bookshelf, SX6, XL5F/ Mirage M-190 / DCM TP160S-CH Subwoofers: Outlaw Ultra X12 (x2) / BIC H100-II
Receiver: Denon AVR-X4500H, AVR-X1400H Integrated Amplifier: Yamaha A-S501/ Fosi Audio TPA3116 mini amp Extras: MiniDSP Umik-1 Headphones: Philips SPH9500s / Audio Tech. ATH-M40x / Takstar Pro 82.
post #30 of 154 Old 11-27-2018, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Those Wharfedale Diamond 220 (5 1/2" driver) seem pretty awesome but a depth of 10" might be too much for placing them on my desktop - these are computer speaker replacements and will actually be pretty damn close to the wall, like an inch or two on an angle. Wish I had a bigger desk so I can get the WD220 or the QA 3020 - but alas, I ordered the SMSL AD18 ([email protected]) and tomorrow I'm ordering the QA 3010 - due to size - I hope the bass is enough - I don't want to spend more on a sub.

These speakers already cost me $420 with exchange rate, shipping, duties and taxes.

Will definetly keep you posted on how they sound from open box to 100hrs to 200hrs

Last edited by sannitig; 11-27-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page