Need help for HT speaker setup - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 54Likes

post #91 of 115 Old 11-28-2018, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddogud View Post
Transitioning from being a noob then in a state of confusion and then, hustle like a faux-pro audiophile, finally, my shopping is done.

Here is where I landed:

Denon AVR-X3400H Refurb - $449 + $9 S/H
2 Monoprice monolith 10" THX - $950 + $57 Tax
2 CMT-340 SE mains - $498
1 CMT-340 SE center - $298
2 HMT-200 SE surr - $298
Speaker bundle discount $96 + $90 S/H

I didn't get the HTD speakers and Rhythmik sub as they are a backorder.

I thank all of you for responding to my naive questions and sharing the knowledge base. With your help, I could make the system as best as it can be within the budget. I really appreciate it. @Zorba922 @Rgarc @IrishHT @pase22 @javan robinson @Disarmer @gajCA @Russdawg1 @BluesDaddy56 @craig john @zieglj01

I'm getting a hang for this forum, so, I'm gonna stick around and learn from it. Anyway, I have to set it up correctly when everything shows up. I'll have questions again.

If anyone is in or visiting Frederick/Bethesda in Maryland, please ping me and I'll be very happy to share the experience of audio nirvana that I would be in because of your contributions.
Did you get this all hooked up? How is your experience?
baddogud likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 115 Old 11-29-2018, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajen83 View Post
Did you get this all hooked up? How is your experience?
Hi @rajen83 ,

Thank you for asking. I just somehow managed to hook these up. Wires are loosely hanging and empty boxes are everywhere . So far, I could set up the HT using the Audyssey and default DEQ, DVol. My subwoofer crossover (manual) at 80Hz now

Awesome experience, I love it. Watched X-Men Frist Class BluRay 1080p 6CH, Matrix Reloaded BluRay 1080p 6CH, Independence Day Resurgence UHD BluRay ATMOS. What a clarity in sound and the whole house is shaking time-to-time. Attached is the room config.

HT 5.2.2 Dolby Atmos setup
Sony UBP-X800 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
BenQ HT2550 True 4k UHD HDR
Denon AVR-X3400H
2 Monoprice monolith 10" THX
2 CMT-340 SE mains
1 CMT-340 SE center
2 HMT-200 SE surround
2 Polk Audio OWM3 ATMOS speakers

I need open a new thread where I could get input to set it up properly.

I'm reading up on it https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...ces.html#VIIIE

Please let me know all about setting up the crossover, db adjustment for a superior experience.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HTS Room.png
Views:	20
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	2488972  
Zorba922 likes this.

Last edited by baddogud; 11-29-2018 at 08:15 AM.
post #93 of 115 Old 11-29-2018, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 2328
Quote:
Please let me know all about setting up the crossover, db adjustment for a superior experience.
Here is the intro guide thread; ask questions in this thread. There is also a dedicated Audyssey thread in the Amp/Receiver subform.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...eferences.html

Edit: damn, that's the thread you linked. So I guess you are on top of things. Enjoy the new gear.
baddogud likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 115 Old 11-29-2018, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Also, subs usually like corners and speakers usually don't. You might want to try swapping the subs with the mains as far as location and see how that sounds.
baddogud likes this.
post #95 of 115 Old 11-29-2018, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post
Also, subs usually like corners and speakers usually don't. You might want to try swapping the subs with the mains as far as location and see how that sounds.
Quote:
Here is the intro guide thread; ask questions in this thread. There is also a dedicated Audyssey thread in the Amp/Receiver subform.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...eferences.html

Edit: damn, that's the thread you linked. So I guess you are on top of things. Enjoy the new gear.
Thanks for the quick response and the right references that I desperately need. I need to tie up the wires stick them up to the ceiling etc etc. Fact is I'm not getting the time I need. I'm looking forward to the upcoming holidays season.
post #96 of 115 Old 11-29-2018, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked: 1061
Quote:
Hi @rajen83 ,

Thank you for asking. I just somehow managed to hook these up. Wires are loosely hanging and empty boxes are everywhere . So far, I could set up the HT using the Audyssey and default DEQ, DVol. My subwoofer crossover (manual) at 80Hz now

Awesome experience, I love it. Watched X-Men Frist Class BluRay 1080p 6CH, Matrix Reloaded BluRay 1080p 6CH, Independence Day Resurgence UHD BluRay ATMOS. What a clarity in sound and the whole house is shaking time-to-time. Attached is the room config.

HT 5.2.2 Dolby Atmos setup

Sony UBP-X800 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player

BenQ HT2550 True 4k UHD HDR

Denon AVR-X3400H

2 Monoprice monolith 10" THX

2 CMT-340 SE mains

1 CMT-340 SE center

2 HMT-200 SE surround

2 Polk Audio OWM3 ATMOS speakers

I need open a new thread where I could get input to set it up properly.

I'm reading up on it https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...ces.html#VIIIE

Interesting atmos positioning. Is that what Dolby recommends? I have no idea btw lol. Consider pulling out your L/R because the sound from the R which is way closer to the wall than the L will be different. It’s minimal but possibly notable. Not to mention pulling the speakers out just provides better sound in general.

Glad you are loving your setup. I envy it
baddogud likes this.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #97 of 115 Old 11-29-2018, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
Interesting atmos positioning. Is that what Dolby recommends? I have no idea btw lol. Consider pulling out your L/R because the sound from the R which is way closer to the wall than the L will be different. It’s minimal but possibly notable. Not to mention pulling the speakers out just provides better sound in general.

Glad you are loving your setup. I envy it
Hi @Russdawg1 ,

Glad to hear back from you again and your energy. Will do the recommended for the L/R speakers for sure. Need to do a lot. Funny thing is I was sitting up on a ladder close to one of the ATMOS speakers to hear a tiny bit of sound from movie but not yet

I followed this with 90 deg https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/sp...tup-guide.html
post #98 of 115 Old 11-29-2018, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi @Russdawg1 ,

Glad to hear back from you again and your energy. Will do the recommended for the L/R speakers for sure. Need to do a lot. Funny thing is I was sitting up on a ladder close to one of the ATMOS speakers to hear a tiny bit of sound from movie but not yet

I followed this with 90 deg https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/sp...tup-guide.html

Well I read up and it looks like you got it all right, well done. Not all movies are coded in atmos, might be why you aren’t getting output. Did you run Audessey calibration with the mic yet? And if so did u notice any positive improvements? Audessey does wonders for most people. But sometimes completely screws over that one person Have you tried listening to music yet? 5 Channel stereo gets pretty loud haha
baddogud likes this.

post #99 of 115 Old 11-29-2018, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Did you run Audessey calibration with the mic yet? And if so did u notice any positive improvements? Audessey does wonders for most people. But sometimes completely screws over that one person Have you tried listening to music yet? 5 Channel stereo gets pretty loud haha
All my room correction is through Audyssey (connected with mic). I also accepted the default DEQ and DVol. And the performence blew me out. Well, of course, depends on what was my previous movie watching experience at home on 40" Sony HD Bravia with Yamaha sound bar (built-in woofer). Compare to that, now it is similar/close to a movie theater.

Nope, I havent gotten there yet but very much eager to check what a 5.2 surround music would sound like such as Orchestra, or a Symphony, and/or a Philharmonic. I don't have any super audio CD at home. At the moment, I am trying get the Subwoofer to fire during 2.0 music playing. What I read in the forum is that somehow I need override the sub from LFE only to LFE+Main. But don't know how to do it yet.

I'd love to hear from you. Thanks @Russdawg1
post #100 of 115 Old 11-29-2018, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
All my room correction is through Audyssey (connected with mic). I also accepted the default DEQ and DVol. And the performence blew me out. Well, of course, depends on what was my previous movie watching experience at home on 40" Sony HD Bravia with Yamaha sound bar (built-in woofer). Compare to that, now it is similar/close to a movie theater.

Nope, I havent gotten there yet but very much eager to check what a 5.2 surround music would sound like such as Orchestra, or a Symphony, and/or a Philharmonic. I don't have any super audio CD at home. At the moment, I am trying get the Subwoofer to fire during 2.0 music playing. What I read in the forum is that somehow I need override the sub from LFE only to LFE+Main. But don't know how to do it yet.

I'd love to hear from you. Thanks @Russdawg1

I think your problem is right in what you are trying to do, 2.0 means no subwoofers. Play it in 2.1 or 2.2 and you should have no problem right? I’ve never encountered your problem as of now

Sorry what I meant was did you listen to the speakers before and after the Audessey correction? There’s a small chance that you might be one of the people that dislike what Audessey did to the sound (Too much refinement in a sense) or Audessey just completely screwed up lol. Doubtful but there’s always a chance
baddogud likes this.

post #101 of 115 Old 11-29-2018, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I think your problem is right in what you are trying to do, 2.0 means no subwoofers. Play it in 2.1 or 2.2 and you should have no problem right? I’ve never encountered your problem as of now
Yup, when I play music from Spotify or an audio CD, the channel indicator at the back of the two Sub is showing 'Red' (for multichannel input it turns 'Green'). Which means I guess, the subwoofer channels aren't getting any input. I also checked it by closely monitoring the driver, no vibration (but happens when playing 6CH movie). I think I need to modify some settings in the AVR.

Quote:
Sorry what I meant was did you listen to the speakers before and after the Audessey correction? There’s a small chance that you might be one of the people that dislike what Audessey did to the sound (Too much refinement in a sense) or Audessey just completely screwed up lol. Doubtful but there’s always a chance
Good point . Nope, I haven't done that yet. Will do that when I get the time. I have set the Sub's crossover to 80Hz mannualy (nob at the back of the sub). What's the usual crossover settings for the LCR and Surr. If I remember correctly, Audyssey has identified the CMT 340 (L/C/R) as full range but set the crossover for the HTM 200 (SR/SL) to 80Hz and for Polk speakers (ATOMS L/R) at 120. Distance measured by the Audyssey seemed reasonable. It also distributed the dB according to the distance from the main listening area. I'll correct these numbers if I was wrong.
post #102 of 115 Old 11-29-2018, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8585 Post(s)
Liked: 5784
Quote:
Yup, when I play music from Spotify or an audio CD, the channel indicator at the back of the two Sub is showing 'Red' (for multichannel input it turns 'Green'). Which means I guess, the subwoofer channels aren't getting any input. I also checked it by closely monitoring the driver, no vibration (but happens when playing 6CH movie). I think I need to modify some settings in the AVR.

Good point . Nope, I haven't done that yet. Will do that when I get the time. I have set the Sub's crossover to 80Hz mannualy (nob at the back of the sub). What's the usual crossover settings for the LCR and Surr. If I remember correctly, Audyssey has identified the CMT 340 (L/C/R) as full range but set the crossover for the HTM 200 (SR/SL) to 80Hz and for Polk speakers (ATOMS L/R) at 120. Distance measured by the Audyssey seemed reasonable. It also distributed the dB according to the distance from the main listening area. I'll correct these numbers if I was wrong.
In Stereo the sub should be in play, in Direct or Pure Direct in the 3000 series it is not.

The 4000 series and up allows you to add the sub into the Direct Mode IIRC.

My current old Denon 1912 has that feature, sub or no sub, a different crossover point for Direct vs Surround and a few other options that escape me at the moment.
baddogud likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #103 of 115 Old 11-29-2018, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Need help for HT speaker setup

Quote:

Play music in 6 channel then? Lol sorry I wish I had a better answer, I have an Onkyo

Quote:

My recommendation is everything at 80hz even mains, and then atmos and surrounds at 120hz. Audessey is a little weird and they set mains to large usually even though all speakers should be set to small.

Edit: All speakers should be set to small when running a sub, sorry. Don’t set them to small if you don’t have a sub lol.
baddogud likes this.

Last edited by Russdawg1; 11-29-2018 at 02:57 PM.
post #104 of 115 Old 11-29-2018, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What I read in the forum is that somehow I need override the sub from LFE only to LFE+Main.
There are very few good reasons to run LFE + Main. Unless you know those reasons, have measuring gear, and understand the nuances of the function, avoid it like the plague.
baddogud likes this.
post #105 of 115 Old 11-29-2018, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
There are very few good reasons to run LFE + Main. Unless you know those reasons, have measuring gear, and understand the nuances of the function, avoid it like the plague.
Thanks for CAUTIONARY note!! I appreciate it @jjackkrash

I collected a clue from the discussion with @Russdawg1 . I think since the Audyssey has detected the CMT 400 (L/C/R) as full range speakers, it switches off the Subwoofer channels and plays (redirect) all frequency to L/R during 2.0 music assuming it will take care of everything. Tonight I'm going to manually change the crossover of L/R to 80Hz and see if the sub channels turn on while playing 2.0 music.
post #106 of 115 Old 11-29-2018, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
In Stereo the sub should be in play, in Direct or Pure Direct in the 3000 series it is not.

The 4000 series and up allows you to add the sub into the Direct Mode IIRC.

My current old Denon 1912 has that feature, sub or no sub, a different crossover point for Direct vs Surround and a few other options that escape me at the moment.
I'm too novice to understand all the jargons, acronyms and the subject matter you have mentioned. Let me see how much I can find on the web. But thank you for the input @gajCA
post #107 of 115 Old 11-29-2018, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm too novice to understand all the jargons, acronyms and the subject matter you have mentioned. Let me see how much I can find on the web. But thank you for the input @gajCA

I’ll PM you when I get home, I’ll see if I can help/explain some of this jargon for you.

post #108 of 115 Old 11-29-2018, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
[
I collected a clue from the discussion with @Russdawg1 . I think since the Audyssey has detected the CMT 400 (L/C/R) as full range speakers, it switches off the Subwoofer channels and plays (redirect) all frequency to L/R during 2.0 music assuming it will take care of everything. Tonight I'm going to manually change the crossover of L/R to 80Hz and see if the sub channels turn on while playing 2.0 music.
My suspicion was spot on. And @Russdawg1 was right. Similar to many automated correction processes, Audyssey was not able to obtain the correct audio settings for me I changed all settings mannualy. Now Subs are firing with music 2.2 as it should have been. Thanks for mentioning it to me @Russdawg1 . You're indeed a wise man.
post #109 of 115 Old 11-29-2018, 10:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6922 Post(s)
Liked: 5213
Quote:
My suspicion was spot on. And @Russdawg1 was right. Similar to many automated correction processes, Audyssey was not able to obtain the correct audio settings for me I changed all settings mannualy. Now Subs are firing with music 2.2 as it should have been.
Yep, I always tell people that Audyssey et al. are far from infallible and should be used as a STARTING POINT only...manual tweaking is a given.

Enjoy those sweet subs!
baddogud likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #110 of 115 Old 11-29-2018, 10:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My suspicion was spot on. And @Russdawg1 was right. Similar to many automated correction processes, Audyssey was not able to obtain the correct audio settings for me I changed all settings mannualy. Now Subs are firing with music 2.2 as it should have been. Thanks for mentioning it to me @Russdawg1 . You're indeed a wise man.

Haha no problem. Glad you figured it out on yourself. It’s part of the journey. And it’s sure as hell fun. And I’m also glad because I forgot to PM you. Got distracted as I just unboxed my Ultimax UM18!!!!
baddogud likes this.

post #111 of 115 Old 11-30-2018, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Haha no problem. Glad you figured it out on yourself. It’s part of the journey. And it’s sure as hell fun. And I’m also glad because I forgot to PM you. Got distracted as I just unboxed my Ultimax UM18!!!!
ooooohhhhh! I guess, this is something that will shine on your Marty
post #112 of 115 Old 11-30-2018, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
ooooohhhhh! I guess, this is something that will shine on your Marty

Exactly, now I know how to make sure my Marty is running when I’m listening to music

post #113 of 115 Old 12-07-2018, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Update:

Since started this thread asking for help for my HTS, I'm giving an update for those who participated.

I returned Sony UBP-X800 and bought Nvidia Shield as my main player. Sony wouldn't play Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, DTS-HDMA audio encoded MKV files. It took me a while to troubleshoot and land on a new player.

I just figured out how to use Kodi and SPMC apps on Shield to play all media content. I played a few demo files from Dolby's official website. And there it came -- Audio Nirvana perfectly created within a 3D sound bubble. What an amazing feeling!! Money well spent.

I'm gonna figure out how to install Plex server on Shield and update here.

I apologize to those who felt bored for me being 2-3 years lagged behind form the current status of the digital home entertainment, but better late than never.
IrishHT likes this.
post #114 of 115 Old 01-11-2019, 02:55 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Update:

Since started this thread asking for help for my HTS, I'm giving an update for those who participated.

I returned Sony UBP-X800 and bought Nvidia Shield as my main player. Sony wouldn't play Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, DTS-HDMA audio encoded MKV files. It took me a while to troubleshoot and land on a new player.

I just figured out how to use Kodi and SPMC apps on Shield to play all media content. I played a few demo files from Dolby's official website. And there it came -- Audio Nirvana perfectly created within a 3D sound bubble. What an amazing feeling!! Money well spent.

I'm gonna figure out how to install Plex server on Shield and update here.

I apologize to those who felt bored for me being 2-3 years lagged behind form the current status of the digital home entertainment, but better late than never.
No need to apologize at all! Making the bigger leap in technology is probably more fun than small incremental upgrades every year anyway! When I was a kid, my uncle was the one that introduced me to the home theater world and got me hooked for life. Now, I'm trying to get him to upgrade as he is still rocking Dolby Pro Logic.

Video: JVC RS35 or Optoma HD8600 on 120". - 60" Panasonic plasma. - Darby Darblet video processor. - Panasonic BD85 Blu-ray playback.
Audio: Denon X1100W. - Speakers: Philharmonic AA+ LRC, Mirage Omnipolar Spherex surrounds. Subwoofers: - MFW-15 Turbo(amp only), Dual 12".
Misc: Sennheiser HD558 powered by Recon3d USB. HCFR with i1 Pro. PSVR for 3D Blu-ray.
post #115 of 115 Old 01-11-2019, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishHT View Post
he is still rocking Dolby Pro Logic.

Wouldn’t have my surround format any other way :P

Sponsored Links