Need help for HT speaker setup - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 54Likes

post #1 of 115 Old 11-06-2018, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Need help for HT speaker setup

I am a NEWBIE in HT world and interested to have it set up at home. Also, I DONT know much about technicalities for receivers and speakers. I am getting a BenQ HT2550 True 4k UHD HDR Home Theater Projector. I am planning to buy a Denon AVR-X1400H since its cheaper than AVR-S740H with similar audio specs, except 3D pass thru. Now, I already have a couple of Theater Logic (each: 8 ohms, 400W, built in 8-inch woofer) floor speakers that worked well with my old Denon receiver. I am planning on how to efficiently setup the 7.1 system the new receiver and spent on budget speakers. My budget on the HT sytem is about USD 1,500 and basement space is about 12x20ft.

What caught on my novice eye is to get a 5.1 bundle from Amazon and use my old speakers in the rear (but there could be a potential miss match) to make it a 7.1

1. Elac Debut 2.0-5.1 System with 2 F5.2 Floorstanding Speakers, 1 C5.2 Center Speaker, 2 B5.2 Bookshelf Speakers, 1 BIC/Acoustech Platinum Series PL-200 Subwoofer - $1400 (total HT expense would be little higher than I expected)
'URL is not permitted'

2. Paradigm/Denon Bundle - Monitor 7 v7 Tower Speaker (pr), Mini Bookshelf (pr), Center 1 and Denon AVR-X1400H Receiver - $1400 + buy a woofer
'URL is not permitted'

3. Denon/Paradigm Bundle - Paradigm Monitor 7 v7 Tower Speaker (pr), Center 1, Surround 1 (pr), and Denon AVR-X1400H Receiver - $1400 + buy a woofer
'URL is not permitted'

4. Denon AVR-X1400H 7.2 Channel AV Receiver with HEOS and Klipsch R26F Floorstanding Speakers - Pair (Black) - $1100 + buy a center Klipsch speaker + woofer
'URL is not permitted'

OR,
5. I found this combination in another thread but I have to buy them in installments:
Paradigm Monitor 7 v6 fronts
Paradigm CC-290 v6 center
Paradigm Mini Monitor v6 side surrounds
Paradigm Atom v6 back surrounds
Paradigm DSP-3200 sub

If I have to buy them in installments, should I then go for something else?

OR how about go a lot less and buy the following -
5. Fluance Elite Series Surround Sound Home Theater 7.1 Channel Speaker System Including Floorstanding, Center Channel, Surround, Rear Surround Speakers, and a DB10 Subwoofer - Walnut (SX71WR) - ~$700
'URL is not permitted'

I am confused with so much option out there. I will really appreciate if someone with bit more knowledge suggests me what's good and what's not, what I should expect from these choices.
How to make use of the Dolby Atmos? Are there a couple of connections (that I dont see at the back) for the ceiling or reflection speakers or do I need to buy built-in Atom speakers? etc etc

Any help is be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 115 Old 11-06-2018, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9089 Post(s)
Liked: 6234
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddogud View Post
I am a NEWBIE in HT world and interested to have it set up at home. Also, I DONT know much about technicalities for receivers and speakers. I am getting a BenQ HT2550 True 4k UHD HDR Home Theater Projector. I am planning to buy a Denon AVR-X1400H since its cheaper than AVR-S740H with similar audio specs, except 3D pass thru. Now, I already have a couple of Theater Logic (each: 8 ohms, 400W, built in 8-inch woofer) floor speakers that worked well with my old Denon receiver. I am planning on how to efficiently setup the 7.1 system the new receiver and spent on budget speakers. My budget on the HT sytem is about USD 1,500 and basement space is about 12x20ft.

What caught on my novice eye is to get a 5.1 bundle from Amazon and use my old speakers in the rear (but there could be a potential miss match) to make it a 7.1

1. Elac Debut 2.0-5.1 System with 2 F5.2 Floorstanding Speakers, 1 C5.2 Center Speaker, 2 B5.2 Bookshelf Speakers, 1 BIC/Acoustech Platinum Series PL-200 Subwoofer - $1400 (total HT expense would be little higher than I expected)
'URL is not permitted'

2. Paradigm/Denon Bundle - Monitor 7 v7 Tower Speaker (pr), Mini Bookshelf (pr), Center 1 and Denon AVR-X1400H Receiver - $1400 + buy a woofer
'URL is not permitted'

3. Denon/Paradigm Bundle - Paradigm Monitor 7 v7 Tower Speaker (pr), Center 1, Surround 1 (pr), and Denon AVR-X1400H Receiver - $1400 + buy a woofer
'URL is not permitted'

4. Denon AVR-X1400H 7.2 Channel AV Receiver with HEOS and Klipsch R26F Floorstanding Speakers - Pair (Black) - $1100 + buy a center Klipsch speaker + woofer
'URL is not permitted'

OR,
5. I found this combination in another thread but I have to buy them in installments:
Paradigm Monitor 7 v6 fronts
Paradigm CC-290 v6 center
Paradigm Mini Monitor v6 side surrounds
Paradigm Atom v6 back surrounds
Paradigm DSP-3200 sub

If I have to buy them in installments, should I then go for something else?

OR how about go a lot less and buy the following -
5. Fluance Elite Series Surround Sound Home Theater 7.1 Channel Speaker System Including Floorstanding, Center Channel, Surround, Rear Surround Speakers, and a DB10 Subwoofer - Walnut (SX71WR) - ~$700
'URL is not permitted'

I am confused with so much option out there. I will really appreciate if someone with bit more knowledge suggests me what's good and what's not, what I should expect from these choices.
How to make use of the Dolby Atmos? Are there a couple of connections (that I dont see at the back) for the ceiling or reflection speakers or do I need to buy built-in Atom speakers? etc etc

Any help is be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
I see a pair of those Theater Logic T2400s going for about $12 a set at goodwill doing a quick Google.

I'd consider just starting with the best 5.1 setup you can afford and do NOT buy a BIC sub.

Are you in the US?
BluesDaddy56 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #3 of 115 Old 11-06-2018, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 2855 Post(s)
Liked: 2623
I'm going to guess Canada. If so, then put Totem and PSB speakers on the listening agenda.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 115 Old 11-06-2018, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your response. Yes, I'm in US.

I made another 5.1 set with Klipsch (~$1000) from Amazon
Klipsch R26F Floorstanding Speaker Pair and R10SW Subwoofer Bundle - $599.97
Klipsch RC52IIBL Center Speaker Black - Each - $199.00
Klipsch R-15M Bookshelf Speaker (Pair) - $177.00

I'd love to hear your suggestion to build this 5.1 system. Your opinion on speakers Paradigm vs. Klipsch
I'm also debating between Denon AVR-S740H vs. Denon AVR-X1400H

Best regards.
post #5 of 115 Old 11-06-2018, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked: 1339
So here’s some first hand experience. My friend recently purchased klipsch’s newest 10 inch subwoofer after I repeatedly told him not to because there are better ID (Internet direct) subwoofers out there like SVS and HSU. He now has a $350 paper weight and I cannot help him. Make sure the sub you buy is well reviewed and appraised highly on this forum. Start another thread on the Subwoofer forum to further your research on finding the best subwoofer for you. There is no reason to have to squish your budget to fit in all the speakers at once. Buy in parts and you will be much more satisfied.
BluesDaddy56 likes this.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #6 of 115 Old 11-06-2018, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7149 Post(s)
Liked: 5459
Quote:
Beware of bundles. 90% of the time they stick you with crappy subs, or crappy towers and/or overpriced surrounds you don't even need.

In a 12 x 20' room you want to have a $500-600 sub like the Monolith 10" THX or Hsu VTF-2. Build the rest of your system from the money left over after that, which means YES, starting with just 3.1 for now if you have to.

Choose QUALITY over Quantity...don't fall for the instant gratification trap or you're likely to end up with a crappy 5.1 that you'll end up eBaying a year or two down the road, your net expenditure will end up being a lot higher.
BluesDaddy56 likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #7 of 115 Old 11-06-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your response. Yes, I'm in US.

I made another 5.1 set with Klipsch (~$1000) from Amazon
Klipsch R26F Floorstanding Speaker Pair and R10SW Subwoofer Bundle - $599.97
Klipsch RC52IIBL Center Speaker Black - Each - $199.00
Klipsch R-15M Bookshelf Speaker (Pair) - $177.00

I'd love to hear your suggestion to build this 5.1 system. Your opinion on speakers Paradigm vs. Klipsch
I'm also debating between Denon AVR-S740H vs. Denon AVR-X1400H

Best regards.
OK, those are US prices so I'm guessing you're in the US.

Denon 1400 is the way to go.

Forget Klipsch R series speakers and forget tower speakers as they make zero difference on a very tight budget in terms of sound but they force you to get a lower quality subwoofer which you DO NOT want to do.

2 pairs of these; $300, very well received on AVS for the price/value + good sound.

Wait for Black Friday and you might even save another $50-$100.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-co...?skuId=5721014

Maching center channel $150, (if you can place a center channel vertically buying another pair of the bookshelves and using one for the center vertically would be a bit better but this one has not been heavily criticized by actual owners).

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-co...?skuId=5720006

That leaves you enough money for a FIRST QUALITY subwoofer...not a third tier sub like the Klispch you linked.

Any one of these is better than the Klipsch and if you can swing the HSU VTF1, Monoprice or Rhythmik, so much the better.

PORTED SUBWOOFERS $600 AND BELOW, DELIVERED

NOTE:
*IF LOOKING AT LARGER/MORE EXPENSIVE SUBWOOFERS ADD PSA TO THE LIST OF BRANDS
*IF YOU ARE NOT AN ACTION MOVIE FAN A SUBWOOFER WITH 22-30HZ EXTENSION WOULD BE FINE
*FOR MUSIC A 30HZ SUB IS A FINE CHOICE
* BEFORE BUYING MAKE A CARDBOARD CUTOUT OF THE SIZE OF THE SUB TO MAKE SURE IT IS NOT TOO LARGE FOR YOU

Specs are from the manufacturer unless noted otherwise.

200watts =14w16h16d= 34 lbs 10" [27hz] $299 EMOTIVA BASX S10

350watts =15w16h17d= 40 lbs 10" [30hz] $399 RSL SPEEDWOOFER 10S, (extension from Sound & Vision review)

200watts =14w15h15d= 32 lbs 10" [25hz] $450 ELAC DEBUT 2.0 SUB3010, (extension from Sound & Vision review)
NOTE: THIS SUB HAS PHONE APP EQ FOR THE SUB

250watts =15w19h17d= 42 lbs 10" [25hz] $455 HSU VTF 1 MK3 (extension from Audioholics review)

300watts =15w19h20d= 46 lbs 10" [18hz] $499 SVS PB1000, (extension from Sound & Vision Review)

500watts =15w19h20d= 72 lbs 10" [20hz] $500 MONOPRICE MONOLITH THX 10"

300watts =16w22h21d= 69 lbs* 12" [19hz] $549 RHYTHMIK LV12R

Geoff A. J., California
post #8 of 115 Old 11-06-2018, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Beware of bundles. 90% of the time they stick you with crappy subs, or crappy towers and/or overpriced surrounds you don't even need.

In a 12 x 20' room you want to have a $500-600 sub like the Monolith 10" THX or Hsu VTF-2. Build the rest of your system from the money left over after that, which means YES, starting with just 3.1 for now if you have to.

Choose QUALITY over Quantity...don't fall for the instant gratification trap or you're likely to end up with a crappy 5.1 that you'll end up eBaying a year or two down the road, your net expenditure will end up being a lot higher.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
So here’s some first hand experience. My friend recently purchased klipsch’s newest 10 inch subwoofer after I repeatedly told him not to because there are better ID (Internet direct) subwoofers out there like SVS and HSU. He now has a $350 paper weight and I cannot help him. Make sure the sub you buy is well reviewed and appraised highly on this forum. Start another thread on the Subwoofer forum to further your research on finding the best subwoofer for you. There is no reason to have to squish your budget to fit in all the speakers at once. Buy in parts and you will be much more satisfied.
Thank you Zorba922 and Russdawg1 for directing me on what's more important in decision making.

Which speaker brand and model do you recommend with Monolith 10" THX or Hsu VTF-2 for 3.1 or 5.1? Klipsch vs. ELAC vs. Paradigm

Also, if you could comment on the receiver Denon AVR-X1400H vs. AVR-S740H.

I appreciate your response.
BluesDaddy56 likes this.
post #9 of 115 Old 11-06-2018, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you Zorba922 and Russdawg1 for directing me on what's more important in decision making.

Which speaker brand and model do you recommend with Monolith 10" THX or Hsu VTF-2 for 3.1 or 5.1? Klipsch vs. ELAC vs. Paradigm

Also, if you could comment on the receiver Denon AVR-X1400H vs. AVR-S740H.

I appreciate your response.

Since you are using this mainly for theater I believe, I think a nice fit for you would be Klipsch. Klipsch are bright and detailed and make great fits for movies. As another forumer mentioned, there is no reason to go with towers if you are getting a sub and it also squishes your budget. If you can swing it, the reference premiere line of Klipsch would be where I head to. 4 RP150Ms and the matching center would make quite the system especially paired with a monolith 10 or svs pb1000. Make sure to really try and spend the most amount of money at once because if you, for example, get a single pb2000 first and then a month or two later follow with another, you will be much happier than just getting two pb1000s at first.

post #10 of 115 Old 11-06-2018, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Since you are using this mainly for theater I believe, I think a nice fit for you would be Klipsch. Klipsch are bright and detailed and make great fits for movies. As another forumer mentioned, there is no reason to go with towers if you are getting a sub and it also squishes your budget. If you can swing it, the reference premiere line of Klipsch would be where I head to. 4 RP150Ms and the matching center would make quite the system especially paired with a monolith 10 or svs pb1000. Make sure to really try and spend the most amount of money at once because if you, for example, get a single pb2000 first and then a month or two later follow with another, you will be much happier than just getting two pb1000s at first.
Thanks a lot, Russdawg1.

My usage Music: Movie (streaming content), 60:40.
post #11 of 115 Old 11-06-2018, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks a lot, Russdawg1.

Oh well if you are more music than theater I would have to recommend something other than klipsch. Although the Klipsch RP series has pretty tame tweeters. Some speakers like Chane, Ascend, and Emotiva might fit the bill better. They aren’t the big names like Klipsch, Paradigm, and Elac, but they sure sound amazing. I think personally you cannot go wrong as long as you buy a really good sub and get some quality bookshelves. Don’t be afraid to ask plenty of questions. It took me 4 threads before landing on my Ascend 340CMT SE bookshelves (I would highly recommend those btw) but I’m sure glad I took the time and asked the questions.

post #12 of 115 Old 11-06-2018, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
OK, those are US prices so I'm guessing you're in the US.

Denon 1400 is the way to go.

Forget Klipsch R series speakers and forget tower speakers as they make zero difference on a very tight budget in terms of sound but they force you to get a lower quality subwoofer which you DO NOT want to do.

2 pairs of these; $300, very well received on AVS for the price/value + good sound.

Wait for Black Friday and you might even save another $50-$100.

Maching center channel $150, (if you can place a center channel vertically buying another pair of the bookshelves and using one for the center vertically would be a bit better but this one has not been heavily criticized by actual owners).

That leaves you enough money for a FIRST QUALITY subwoofer...not a third tier sub like the Klispch you linked.

Any one of these is better than the Klipsch and if you can swing the HSU VTF1, Monoprice or Rhythmik, so much the better.

PORTED SUBWOOFERS $600 AND BELOW, DELIVERED

NOTE:
*IF LOOKING AT LARGER/MORE EXPENSIVE SUBWOOFERS ADD PSA TO THE LIST OF BRANDS
*IF YOU ARE NOT AN ACTION MOVIE FAN A SUBWOOFER WITH 22-30HZ EXTENSION WOULD BE FINE
*FOR MUSIC A 30HZ SUB IS A FINE CHOICE
* BEFORE BUYING MAKE A CARDBOARD CUTOUT OF THE SIZE OF THE SUB TO MAKE SURE IT IS NOT TOO LARGE FOR YOU

Specs are from the manufacturer unless noted otherwise.

200watts =14w16h16d= 34 lbs 10" [27hz] $299 EMOTIVA BASX S10

350watts =15w16h17d= 40 lbs 10" [30hz] $399 RSL SPEEDWOOFER 10S, (extension from Sound & Vision review)

200watts =14w15h15d= 32 lbs 10" [25hz] $450 ELAC DEBUT 2.0 SUB3010, (extension from Sound & Vision review)
NOTE: THIS SUB HAS PHONE APP EQ FOR THE SUB

250watts =15w19h17d= 42 lbs 10" [25hz] $455 HSU VTF 1 MK3 (extension from Audioholics review)

300watts =15w19h20d= 46 lbs 10" [18hz] $499 SVS PB1000, (extension from Sound & Vision Review)

500watts =15w19h20d= 72 lbs 10" [20hz] $500 MONOPRICE MONOLITH THX 10"

300watts =16w22h21d= 69 lbs* 12" [19hz] $549 RHYTHMIK LV12R
Thank you, gajCA.

I'll go with one of your suggestions (maybe $455 HSU VTF 1 MK3). I am looking at the Sony speakers and I had no idea that Sony speakers can be good to stand up with this subwoofer.

I am doing the research now so that I am ready to buy during Thanksgiving. This is very helpful. I really appreciate your suggestions on this.
gajCA likes this.
post #13 of 115 Old 11-06-2018, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Oh well if you are more music than theater I would have to recommend something other than klipsch. Although the Klipsch RP series has pretty tame tweeters. Some speakers like Chane, Ascend, and Emotiva might fit the bill better. They aren’t the big names like Klipsch, Paradigm, and Elac, but they sure sound amazing. I think personally you cannot go wrong as long as you buy a really good sub and get some quality bookshelves. Don’t be afraid to ask plenty of questions. It took me 4 threads before landing on my Ascend 340CMT SE bookshelves (I would highly recommend those btw) but I’m sure glad I took the time and asked the questions.
Thank you for the quick response and encouragement. I'm doing research now so that I can make the best use of Thanksgiving deals.

As gajCA mentioned what's your take on the '30HZ" sub for music/action movie. I'm fond of both. I'm leaning towards one of the subwoofers you as well as gajCA mentioned.
post #14 of 115 Old 11-06-2018, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you for the quick response and encouragement. I'm doing research now so that I can make the best use of Thanksgiving deals.

As gajCA mentioned what's your take on the '30HZ" sub for music/action movie. I'm fond of both. I'm leaning towards one of the subwoofers you as well as gajCA mentioned.

So I am a big fan of not limiting myself to one option. Meaning if there is a sub that can hit 20hz (movie subwoofer) vs a 30hz (music subwoofer). Even if I had to pay more for the 20hz sub, I would definitely go with the 20hz. Being able to go that low is a must when it comes to movies and really opens up the capabilities of your system. I’m in the process of building myself a subwoofer (A great option if you are handy with wood) which provides even greater value than ID subs provide. The sub I’m building has output all the way down to 10hz. Is that needed? No. But knowing that the option to play that low is readily available is great to have. When a movie finally uses that 10hz note for an explosion of some sort, you will be capable of playing it.

Sorry back to your question. Go with the sub with lower extension (20hz in your case) you will have more capability when it comes to content playability and usually that means that the upper ranges (like 30hz) will be even louder

post #15 of 115 Old 11-06-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Oh well if you are more music than theater I would have to recommend something other than klipsch. Although the Klipsch RP series has pretty tame tweeters. Some speakers like Chane, Ascend, and Emotiva might fit the bill better. They aren’t the big names like Klipsch, Paradigm, and Elac, but they sure sound amazing.
@baddogud - I second that.

For music, a more "neutral" speaker is a much safer choice, and the Chane/Ascend/Emotiva do fit that description more so than the other 3, IMO. The Hsu HB-1/HC-1 too.

I would also look at the Q Acoustics 3020 & Concept 20, or (if you have a strong preference for towers) the QA 3050i & Concept 40.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #16 of 115 Old 11-06-2018, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

I can't thank you all enough @gajCA @Russdawg1 @Zorba922 It is probably a result of tremendous research over years and invaluable field experience from which I got the help within a few hours. Hats off to you all...

I tried to consolidate all of your suggestions where I put receiver and subwoofer common with options for the speaker systems. I understand that it is a difficult task to actually settle on one because I am the one who will be listening and I have never experienced any of this systems before. Still I'd love to hear your comments or at least want to hear that I can't go wrong.

Denon AVR- X2400H IN-Command - $450
Subwoofer - MONOPRICE MONOLITH THX 10" - $500

5.0 system with Ascend speakers (~$1100)
2 CMT-340 SE MINI-TOWER MONITOR (pair) - $500
1 CMT-340 SE CENTER CHANNEL SPEAKER - $ 300
2 -CBM-170 SE BOOKSHELF MONITOR (pair) - $300

OR

5.0 Package with Chane speakers (~$1000)
1 CHANE A2.4 - $279
4 CHANE A1.4 - $678

OR

5.0 Package with Emotiva speakers (~$900)
2 Airmotiv B1 - $300
1 Airmotiv C1 - $240
2 Surround E1 - $269

OR

5.0 Package with HSU speakers ($800)
4 HB-1 MK2 Horn Bookshelf Speakers
1 HC-1 MK2 Horn Center Channel speaker

I will keep looking (at least until Thanksgiving) and asking questions to gain some knowledge about audio systems.

Do I need Atoms enabled surround speakers?
Some more info about the area:
The size of my basement -12x20x8ft. It’s ‘L shape’ so, there is little bit of adjacent open space 3x7ft
No placement restrictions, except I will be projecting along the line of long-hand of the ‘L’ (upward and away from the short-hand).

Last edited by baddogud; 11-06-2018 at 08:07 PM. Reason: typo
post #17 of 115 Old 11-06-2018, 10:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I can't thank you all enough @gajCA @Russdawg1 @Zorba922 It is probably a result of tremendous research over years and invaluable field experience from which I got the help within a few hours. Hats off to you all...

I tried to consolidate all of your suggestions where I put receiver and subwoofer common with options for the speaker systems. I understand that it is a difficult task to actually settle on one because I am the one who will be listening and I have never experienced any of this systems before. Still I'd love to hear your comments or at least want to hear that I can't go wrong.

Denon AVR- X2400H IN-Command - $450

Subwoofer - MONOPRICE MONOLITH THX 10" - $500

OR

1 CHANE A2.4 - $279

4 CHANE A1.4 - $678

OR

2 Airmotiv B1 - $300

1 Airmotiv C1 - $240

2 Surround E1 - $269

OR

I will keep looking (at least until Thanksgiving) and asking questions to gain some knowledge about audio systems.

The size of my basement -12x20x8ft. It’s ‘L shape’ so, there is little bit of adjacent open space 3x7ft

No placement restrictions, except I will be projecting along the line of long-hand of the ‘L’ (upward and away from the short-hand).

So I am gonna have to say go with the Ascends as I am extremely biased to mine but you literally CANNOT go wrong with any of those combinations. I personally would put the HSUs at the bottom of the list because I haven’t had the greatest experiences with horns but @Zorba922 will tell you, they have a very nice treble roll off to remove the brightness associated with horns. Another thing to note would be dynamics. How loud they can get while keeping their composure. Just looking at specs, Ascends would be at the top in that category (biggest woofers) but I have been told that the Chanes are extremely good at keeping their composure with their split-gap woofers.

Your room is a little big for the monolith 10. If you can wait a little bit to save for the 12, I would definitely do that. Not saying that the 10 can’t handle it necessarily but the 12 you will have much more headroom and in turn keep distortion down and ur amps nice and cold

post #18 of 115 Old 11-07-2018, 07:13 AM

Quote:

OR

1 CHANE A2.4 - $279
4 CHANE A1.4 - $678

OR

2 Airmotiv B1 - $300
1 Airmotiv C1 - $240
2 Surround E1 - $269

OR

Can't go wrong with any of the above. The Chanes and Ascends would be better if you like to listen at extremely loud volumes of 80-90db (use an SPL meter to ballpark what your preferred levels are right now), the Hsu would be the best WAF and the Chane a close second.

The Emotivas currently have a 20% off code when buying 5 or more, making them the price leader by an even bigger margin since their prices already include free shipping whereas with Chane, Ascend, and Hsu make sure you add their shipping costs to the final tally (with Chane you have to add the speakers to your cart and provide a shipping address to get an exact quote).

"Atmos enabled" surrounds = sales gimmick. Upfiring modules are pretty underwhelming. If you want heights I'd just get the NHT SuperZeros ($57 each on Amazon) and mount them under the ceilings tilted downwards, giving you the same effect as a $199 SVS Elevation speaker.
BluesDaddy56 likes this.

Last edited by Zorba922; 11-07-2018 at 08:59 AM.
post #19 of 115 Old 11-07-2018, 08:07 AM

Quote:

All excellent choices but of the list the Emotivas will be the least dynamic in terms of maximum volume potential.

Executing Atmos in terms of sound quality are ceiling speakers first tied with high wall/ceiling mounted cabinet speakers and last would be Atmos enabled speakers.

Excellent receiver and sub choice.

Geoff A. J., California
post #20 of 115 Old 11-07-2018, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Can't go wrong with any of the above. The Chanes and Ascends would be better if you like to listen at extremely loud volumes of 80-90db (use an SPL meter to ballpark what your preferred levels are right now), the Hsu would be the best WAF and the Chane a close second.
@Zorba922 I'd like to know little bit more about the Hsu HB-1 MK2 speakers. I was browsing few more threads and it seems they are great speaker "They can handle high volumes with aplomb, but they sound nice with low volumes as well." But they are felt little less with movies than music. It will be helpful to read your take on this and how you tweak them with treble roll over. Also, I am thinking to go for VTF3-MK5 HP subwoofer ($760) and that extra cost can be compensated with a little less expensive speakers.
post #21 of 115 Old 11-07-2018, 08:14 PM

Quote:
@Zorba922 I'd like to know little bit more about the Hsu HB-1 MK2 speakers. I was browsing few more threads and it seems they are great speaker "They can handle high volumes with aplomb, but they sound nice with low volumes as well." But they are felt little less with movies than music. It will be helpful to read your take on this and how you tweak them with treble roll over. Also, I am thinking to go for VTF3-MK5 HP subwoofer ($760) and that extra cost can be compensated with a little less expensive speakers.
The reason the HB/HC-1 are not as widely cited for HT is because some folks like extra sizzle with their steak, i.e. that treble boost which makes certain video content more compelling for some ears---this is where Klipsch, Def Tech, SVS Prime, etc. come in as well as (safer) more mainstream neutral speakers like Ascend, Emotiva, and Chane. I'd put Hsu in the same uppermost-treble-restraint ballpark as Q Acoustics, in that they are a very safe bet if you don't want TOO warm of a speaker like a Wharfedale but you are sensitive to too much treble and/or have a bright room with lots of hard reflective surfaces.

I heard them in person at Hsu HQ and definitely enjoyed them. More so than their new big brother the CCB-8 during music, that's for sure. If you are not specifically looking for strong treble, they are a safe choice IMO.
gajCA likes this.

post #22 of 115 Old 11-07-2018, 08:48 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Just wanted to pop in here and say that if you're looking at the X2400 at $450, the X3400 is refurb at accessories4less for only $50 more. They're a well known refurb reseller and you still get a year factory warranty on their stuff.

That change will get you a little extra power per channel, Audyssey XT32 (considerably better than the regular Audyssey XT), a few extra inputs/outputs, along with a full set of preamp outputs (which basically means you can add external amplifiers if you ever want more power and don't have to buy a new receiver).
post #23 of 115 Old 11-07-2018, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disarmer View Post
Just wanted to pop in here and say that if you're looking at the X2400 at $450, the X3400 is refurb at accessories4less for only $50 more. They're a well known refurb reseller and you still get a year factory warranty on their stuff.

That change will get you a little extra power per channel, Audyssey XT32 (considerably better than the regular Audyssey XT), a few extra inputs/outputs, along with a full set of preamp outputs (which basically means you can add external amplifiers if you ever want more power and don't have to buy a new receiver).

Great suggestion @Disarmer but more expenses... can I cut down on speakers then? Can I trust their speakers as well?

whats your opinion on

VS.

ELAC B6 5.0 ($509 in amazon)

OR

get Ascend CMT-340 3.0 now and add two rear/surround later
post #24 of 115 Old 11-07-2018, 09:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Great suggestion @Disarmer but more expenses... can I cut down on speakers then? Can I trust their speakers as well?

whats your opinion on

VS.

ELAC B6 5.0 ($509 in amazon)

OR

get Ascend CMT-340 3.0 now and add two rear/surround later

Psst. Ascends.

But bias aside. Buying more expensive components, even if there’s less of them, and then finishing up later. Will give you the most joy out of your system in the long run.
cocrh likes this.

post #25 of 115 Old 11-07-2018, 11:08 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 61
One more vote for the X3400H refurb. Your receiver is the foundation of your system imo(unless you can afford separates I have the X1100W and at the time I purchased it, it was the best version of MultEQ I could afford but boy did it make a difference! Be sure to post your listening impressions once you have everything. Enjoy the shopping part though. It's half the fun! Women have shoes and we have speakers 😄

Video: JVC RS35 or Optoma HD8600 on 120". - 60" Panasonic plasma. - Darby Darblet video processor. - Panasonic BD85 Blu-ray playback.
Audio: Denon X1100W. - Speakers: Philharmonic AA+ LRC, Mirage Omnipolar Spherex surrounds. Subwoofers: - MFW-15 Turbo(amp only), Dual 12".
Misc: Sennheiser HD558 powered by Recon3d USB. HCFR with i1 Pro. PSVR for 3D Blu-ray.
post #26 of 115 Old 11-07-2018, 11:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3339 Post(s)
Liked: 2808
One possible option is to get the HSU VTF-3/VTF2 MK5, refurb Denon X3400 and 2 pairs of Sony core for $75/pair to start. Use 3 Sony's across the front and store the spare. Once budget recovers, you can get Chane or Ascend and move the Sony's to surround or atmos duty. Since you're starting from scratch, the sub and AVR will eat up most of your budget. Doing it this way you will get you a very nice sounding setup in the long run without compromising on sound quality. You'll be able to enjoy your setup for many years without feeling the need to constantly upgrade.

My 0.02

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #27 of 115 Old 11-07-2018, 11:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishHT View Post
One more vote for the X3400H refurb. Your receiver is the foundation of your system imo(unless you can afford separates I have the X1100W and at the time I purchased it, it was the best version of MultEQ I could afford but boy did it make a difference! Be sure to post your listening impressions once you have everything. Enjoy the shopping part though. It's half the fun! Women have shoes and we have speakers 😄
I'll throw my vote in for the 3400H refurb. I got the 6300H refurb, 2 year extra warranty and shes doing just fine

65" 900E Tee Vee | Denon 6300H AVR | PSA MTM-210s | PSA MTM-210c | PSA MTM-110s | Canton 880 InCeilings | Rythmik FV25HP
post #28 of 115 Old 11-08-2018, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Again thank you all again for the time you have taken to chime in the valuable input and helping me out @IrishHT @pase22 @javan robinson @Disarmer @gajCA @Russdawg1 @Zorba922 . I really appreciate it.

Now it has become a monster 5.1 system:

Denon AVR X3400H Refurb - $499 (accessories4less)
VTF2 MK5 - $509 + $70

2 CMT-340 SE MINI-TOWER MONITOR (pair) - $500 + $40
2 Sony - Core Series 5" 3-Way Bookshelf Speakers (Pair) - $75

Wondering if Ascend clubs the S/H cost for multiple items?
gajCA and Zorba922 like this.
post #29 of 115 Old 11-08-2018, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Again thank you all again for the time you have taken to chime in the valuable input and helping me out @IrishHT @pase22 @javan robinson @Disarmer @gajCA @Russdawg1 @Zorba922 . I really appreciate it.

Now it has become a monster 5.1 system:

Denon AVR X3400H Refurb - $499 (accessories4less)
VTF2 MK5 - $509 + $70

Looking pretty good!

P.S. Don't let us just jack up your budget because we will always find something that's just a little bit better for just a little bit more money. Only you truly know your budget and where to draw the line

That being said, I think you'll be ecstatic with that build.
liffie420 likes this.
post #30 of 115 Old 11-08-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:

To see bundled shipping, you have to go to this page:
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...isor.mv#bottom

Love the company, hate their convoluted website that should've been updated 10 years ago.
BluesDaddy56 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
5.2.2 set up , ascend , Denon , nvidia shield , polk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page