Annoying rattle in my center channel - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By gajCA

post #1 of 4 Old 11-09-2018, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Annoying rattle in my center channel

Hi everyone,

It seems as though the right driver (maybe?) on my Klipsch RC-52 center channel is generating / causing a rather annoying rattle noise at certain mid frequencies (usually during dialog).

Anyone have any tips for troubleshooting / isolating the noise and hopefully fixing it? It's really making me want to upgrade but fixing it is more in line with the budget.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-10-2018, 04:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked: 3389
Perhaps speaker is blown? Depending on how bad that is, it would sound like a bit of scratchy distortion in specific frequencies.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-10-2018, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9082 Post(s)
Liked: 6224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invincible View Post
Hi everyone,

It seems as though the right driver (maybe?) on my Klipsch RC-52 center channel is generating / causing a rather annoying rattle noise at certain mid frequencies (usually during dialog).

Anyone have any tips for troubleshooting / isolating the noise and hopefully fixing it? It's really making me want to upgrade but fixing it is more in line with the budget.

Thanks!
Use these test tones to see if it is a particular frequency and if it is low enough perhaps you can simply raise the crossover point for the center channel to avoid that frequency.

Worst case, on an extreme budget, simply cut the negative wire for that speaker inside the cabinet and just use the center with one driver instead of two.

https://www.audiocheck.net/testtones_index.php
Invincible and Lp85253 like this.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 11-10-2018, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks, I'll give the test tones a go tonight.

The curious thing is, sometimes it exhibits the noise, other times it doesn't. I feel that when it happens, it generally sticks around for much of whatever we're watching. Whereas we can go several TV shows without noticing it. Perhaps that's simply down to frequencies that trigger it.

@markmon1 , I wouldn't describe it as scratchy/distortion. Hrm, I'll have to hear it again up close to see if I can put it into words. Or better yet, with the tones maybe I can record it.

More curious is the fact that I bought this speaker for my initial set of Klipsch (to replace an RCX-4) which was exhibiting a very similar problem. When I got around to piecing together a basement HT, I brought the RC-52 downstairs and put the RCX-4 back with its original set. I don't use that set much (the wife does) but I haven't heard the issue return.

The RC-52 has been hooked up to 3 different receivers (Old Yamaha / Pioneer Elite / Denon H4400X) and I believe it's done this with all of them.

I do feel it's more prone to happen when being driven harder, but we're not talking deafening levels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
center , Klipsch , rattle

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page