Guidance for Speaker Selection - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 11-11-2018, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Guidance for Speaker Selection

Just completed a new build for a media room in the basement. Its certainly not going to be a high end system, but a place to watch sports and movies and to a lesser degree some gaming. The room measures 20' deep x 17' wide with a riser to separate the front and back. I want to invest in some quality components, but I am more focused on value because I am not an audiophile. I want to keep the total spend on speakers to round $3-4k for a 7.1 system. I am planning on buying a Denon X3400H as my receiver and the TV feed will come from an 82" Samsung via YouTube TV using either ARC or the Optical connection. I have a wired Ethernet connection to the TV and the bandwidth is quite good. Here is what I am thinking about for speakers:

Klipsch RP-280F for the Front L&R (around $750/pair on sale)
Klipsch RP-450C for the Center (around $500 on sale)
HSU Research VTF-3 MK5 Subwoofer in Front (around $750)

I do not know what to do for the middle and rear surround speakers. I had planned on using in-wall speakers to complete the system but I read very mixed reviews, plus I don't think Klipsch makes a RP series in-wall speaker.

I can attach some pictures if it makes a difference. I appreciate any input from the community!
butlersw3 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 11-11-2018, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jonas2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Bay Area
Posts: 5,566
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2791 Post(s)
Liked: 1756
Quote:
Originally Posted by butlersw3 View Post
I do not know what to do for the middle and rear surround speakers. I had planned on using in-wall speakers to complete the system but I read very mixed reviews, plus I don't think Klipsch makes a RP series in-wall speaker.
If you can get them properly placed, the in-walls are just fine. BUT - they do need proper placement, which can be challenging given certain layouts, plus there is little experimenting with them compared to on-walls, or free-standers, and decent sized holes in the wall. Klipsch does have the in-wall RP series (Pro). No idea on cost.

http://https://www.klipsch.com/in-wall-speakers

My personal thoughts, in-walls are best planned before construction, and probably the hardest to do after the fact. Not impossible, especially if you are familiar with the wall interiors.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Jonas2 is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 11-11-2018, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
altpensacola's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 791
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 153
You will be grinning ear to ear with that choice.
You can use Klipsch's atmos speakers RP500 as surrounds, their design allows to hang on the wall and angle down, which is already better than an in wall approach.
Or you can go full out with bi pole sides and box rears.

Music, more music.
altpensacola is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 14 Old 11-11-2018, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 18,417
Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8585 Post(s)
Liked: 5784
Quote:
Originally Posted by butlersw3 View Post
Just completed a new build for a media room in the basement. Its certainly not going to be a high end system, but a place to watch sports and movies and to a lesser degree some gaming. The room measures 20' deep x 17' wide with a riser to separate the front and back. I want to invest in some quality components, but I am more focused on value because I am not an audiophile. I want to keep the total spend on speakers to round $3-4k for a 7.1 system. I am planning on buying a Denon X3400H as my receiver and the TV feed will come from an 82" Samsung via YouTube TV using either ARC or the Optical connection. I have a wired Ethernet connection to the TV and the bandwidth is quite good. Here is what I am thinking about for speakers:

Klipsch RP-280F for the Front L&R (around $750/pair on sale)
Klipsch RP-450C for the Center (around $500 on sale)
HSU Research VTF-3 MK5 Subwoofer in Front (around $750)

I do not know what to do for the middle and rear surround speakers. I had planned on using in-wall speakers to complete the system but I read very mixed reviews, plus I don't think Klipsch makes a RP series in-wall speaker.

I can attach some pictures if it makes a difference. I appreciate any input from the community!
Many many fans of the outgoing RP but you have a huge budget so might want to consider paying more for the new "improved" RP series.

HSU makes great subs, Denon makes great AVRs.

Any ability to put in ceiling speakers for Atmos?

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 11-11-2018, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 12,333
Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6922 Post(s)
Liked: 5213
Quote:
Originally Posted by butlersw3 View Post
Just completed a new build for a media room in the basement. Its certainly not going to be a high end system, but a place to watch sports and movies and to a lesser degree some gaming. The room measures 20' deep x 17' wide with a riser to separate the front and back. I want to invest in some quality components, but I am more focused on value because I am not an audiophile. I want to keep the total spend on speakers to round $3-4k for a 7.1 system. I am planning on buying a Denon X3400H as my receiver and the TV feed will come from an 82" Samsung via YouTube TV using either ARC or the Optical connection. I have a wired Ethernet connection to the TV and the bandwidth is quite good. Here is what I am thinking about for speakers:

Klipsch RP-280F for the Front L&R (around $750/pair on sale)
Klipsch RP-450C for the Center (around $500 on sale)
HSU Research VTF-3 MK5 Subwoofer in Front (around $750)

I do not know what to do for the middle and rear surround speakers. I had planned on using in-wall speakers to complete the system but I read very mixed reviews, plus I don't think Klipsch makes a RP series in-wall speaker. I can attach some pictures if it makes a difference. I appreciate any input from the community!
That's a very generous budget. However, since you said you are "more focused on value" I would say you could actually spend a lot less and be equally or more satisfied.

The easiest, one-stop shopping route would be to do a Hsu bundle with the VTF-3, a front stage of 3 x HC-1 or 1 x HC-1 with 2 x HB-1, and HIW-1 for your 4 in-wall surrounds. If you call or email Hsu with that package in mind, I'm sure they'll give you a nice bundle discount. There is no real functional benefit in having towers if sports/movies/gaming is the entirety of your usage, especially considering that your room isn't huge.

There are other options as well, for example Ascend, Emotiva, HTD, and JBL would all be companies I'd look at.

PS. If you don't have any pressing reasons to do in-walls for your surrounds, you could save yourself the considerable cost of paying someone to install them, by just using on-wall speakers or bookshelf speakers on stands for your surrounds.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 11-11-2018, 06:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 2,546
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked: 1061
Quote:
Originally Posted by butlersw3 View Post
Just completed a new build for a media room in the basement. Its certainly not going to be a high end system, but a place to watch sports and movies and to a lesser degree some gaming. The room measures 20' deep x 17' wide with a riser to separate the front and back. I want to invest in some quality components, but I am more focused on value because I am not an audiophile. I want to keep the total spend on speakers to round $3-4k for a 7.1 system. I am planning on buying a Denon X3400H as my receiver and the TV feed will come from an 82" Samsung via YouTube TV using either ARC or the Optical connection. I have a wired Ethernet connection to the TV and the bandwidth is quite good. Here is what I am thinking about for speakers:

Klipsch RP-280F for the Front L&R (around $750/pair on sale)
Klipsch RP-450C for the Center (around $500 on sale)
HSU Research VTF-3 MK5 Subwoofer in Front (around $750)

I do not know what to do for the middle and rear surround speakers. I had planned on using in-wall speakers to complete the system but I read very mixed reviews, plus I don't think Klipsch makes a RP series in-wall speaker.

I can attach some pictures if it makes a difference. I appreciate any input from the community!
I would consider moving up to a 4400h because you will be set for an upgrade to 9.2 in the near future, which will be closer than you think. Everyone gets that upgrade tick so why not be ready for it? Also great choice on the sub, but with the extra budget, you can move up to HSU's VTF-15H if you want, or double down on the VTF3 for flatter response across your whole room. But of course, if you don't want to spend all $4000, there's no reason you can't stop where you are at.
Russdawg1 is online now  
post #7 of 14 Old 11-11-2018, 07:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 6,807
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3092 Post(s)
Liked: 2574
I'll have to agree with Zorba. Those massive towers are not necessary unless you do a lot 2.0 music sessions. If you're dead set on having towers, the 250F or 500f for $20 more per speaker would be plenty for that room especially with a sub(s). Since you have the budget for it, going with dual VTF-2 MK5's would give you much more even and consistent bass throughout the room. If you have the space for 2 VTF-3's that's even better.


As mentioned above, in-walls would be considerably more expensive, won't allow any placement flexibility and won't sound better. On wall speakers Will work just fine.


If you're not set on Klipsch, there are many other options that would offer better sound quality, especially if you go the bookshelf route.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 11-11-2018, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Attaching pictures to show the room in its current state, which is bare. All of the wiring is already run. Middle surrounds are wired to be between first and 2nd row and the rears are in the back wall. The bar in the back of the room would have stools behind it and the first two rows will be theater seats.

I tend to not keep up with the latest technology and would rather buy a year old at a nice discount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
HSU makes great subs, Denon makes great AVRs. Any ability to put in ceiling speakers for Atmos?
Thanks for the feedback. I don't plan on putting anything in the ceiling. I have prior experience with Denon AV receivers and Klipsch speakers and thus the bias toward those two vendors. HSU is something I have never dealt with, just going on reputation from researching here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
The easiest, one-stop shopping route would be to do a Hsu bundle with the VTF-3, a front stage of 3 x HC-1 or 1 x HC-1 with 2 x HB-1, and HIW-1 for your 4 in-wall surrounds. There is no real functional benefit in having towers if sports/movies/gaming is the entirety of your usage, especially considering that your room isn't huge.

PS. If you don't have any pressing reasons to do in-walls for your surrounds, you could save yourself the considerable cost of paying someone to install them, by just using on-wall speakers or bookshelf speakers on stands for your surrounds.
I think the main reason for towers is to fill out the room. Have a look at the picture of the front with the custom cabinetry. The sub would go at the end of the right side of the cabinetry and then the towers in the corners angled inward. If you look at the walls, I am slightly concerned about encroaching on the interior space. Those HSU HIW-1 speakers look really nice and the price is great, but would they get dominated by the towers up front? Also, is there a concern about the inherent in-wall baffle?? That's my main concern for in-wall speakers. Should I mount a dipole speaker like the Klipsch RP-250S in the middle to throw sound both directions from the middle surrounds?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Theatre-Front.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	2481394   Click image for larger version

Name:	Theatre-Right.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	2481396   Click image for larger version

Name:	Theatre-Left.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	2481398  
butlersw3 is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 11-11-2018, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 12,333
Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6922 Post(s)
Liked: 5213
Quote:
Originally Posted by butlersw3 View Post
I think the main reason for towers is to fill out the room. Have a look at the picture of the front with the custom cabinetry. The sub would go at the end of the right side of the cabinetry and then the towers in the corners angled inward. If you look at the walls, I am slightly concerned about encroaching on the interior space. Those HSU HIW-1 speakers look really nice and the price is great, but would they get dominated by the towers up front? Also, is there a concern about the inherent in-wall baffle?? That's my main concern for in-wall speakers. Should I mount a dipole speaker like the Klipsch RP-250S in the middle to throw sound both directions from the middle surrounds?
Would you be able to move some of the contents of the shelves out of the way and put unported (sealed cabinet) speakers in the two shelves? If you were able to, you could put your L/R speakers in the top shelves, and wall-mount the center speaker above your TV, with the speakers being tilted downwards towards ear level at your main listening position. Ideally, you would do that using 3 identical bookshelf speakers in vertical configuration, or you could use 2-3 horizontal LCR center speakers for your front stage.

Towers generally need room to "breathe," and that side of your room has very little space for them to do that. The last thing you want to do is have your towers closely flanked by the side walls.

Don't worry about your surrounds being "dominated" by the fronts---the surrounds only do a measly 5-10% of the output to begin with, which is why it's fine to have much smaller surrounds than fronts. Also, your receiver's job is to level match all of the speakers so that none of them drown out any of the others.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 11-11-2018, 08:51 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 12,333
Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6922 Post(s)
Liked: 5213
If you are willing to consider a brand that is NOT Klipsch, I would suggest doing 2-3 Emotiva C1 speakers for your fronts or 2-3 NHT C1, C3, or Classic 3 bookshelves for your fronts.

Your surrounds could be Emotiva E1 or E2.
Emotivas here: https://emotiva.com/collections/loudspeakers

NHTs here:
https://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&fie...wcanoniccom-20
and
https://www.nhthifi.com/products?cat...shelf-speakers
(Amazon has much better prices on the SuperZero, SuperOne and C3 than the NHT website)

If you went with NHT, you could do the SuperZeros or SuperOnes for surrounds.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
post #11 of 14 Old 11-11-2018, 09:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
torii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 6,703
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3325 Post(s)
Liked: 1877
save a healthy budget for a 15 in plus subwoofer or 2.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
torii is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old 11-12-2018, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 18,417
Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8585 Post(s)
Liked: 5784
Quote:
Originally Posted by butlersw3 View Post
Attaching pictures to show the room in its current state, which is bare. All of the wiring is already run. Middle surrounds are wired to be between first and 2nd row and the rears are in the back wall. The bar in the back of the room would have stools behind it and the first two rows will be theater seats.

I tend to not keep up with the latest technology and would rather buy a year old at a nice discount.



Thanks for the feedback. I don't plan on putting anything in the ceiling. I have prior experience with Denon AV receivers and Klipsch speakers and thus the bias toward those two vendors. HSU is something I have never dealt with, just going on reputation from researching here.



I think the main reason for towers is to fill out the room. Have a look at the picture of the front with the custom cabinetry. The sub would go at the end of the right side of the cabinetry and then the towers in the corners angled inward. If you look at the walls, I am slightly concerned about encroaching on the interior space. Those HSU HIW-1 speakers look really nice and the price is great, but would they get dominated by the towers up front? Also, is there a concern about the inherent in-wall baffle?? That's my main concern for in-wall speakers. Should I mount a dipole speaker like the Klipsch RP-250S in the middle to throw sound both directions from the middle surrounds?
I have to agree with Zorba and Pase22 after looking at the pictures that a smaller tower would work better as the very large 280s wouldn't have the 2 feet from each wall you would want for best fidelity.

Where will you be placing the center speaker?

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old 11-13-2018, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Its becoming clear to me that I made some choice that were not ideal. I had researched the room size and made some decisions about what level of Dolby sound I wanted to support. I assumed a 17x20 room was pretty large but it turns out not to be so. I followed the Dolby 7.1 diagram with the exception that the middle surrounds are between 1st and 2nd rows and sub is on right. I don't have much flexibility now other than speaker selection and component selection (AV receiver, BluRay).

@zorba
Ive pretty much made my bed here so I have to lie in it. I could put bookshelf speakers in the cabinetry but I really set it up for towers on the front left and right, a subwoofer in the front right, and a center speaker. Its nice hearing the the RP-280F are way more than I need because smaller towers will be cheaper. I am not set on any particular speaker, but I want to be able to hear before I buy. The Klipsch RP series is on major sales right now as the new series is coming out. I looked at the JBL 5 series but they were much more expensive. Its hard to tell in the picture but I have 2.5 feet on left side and 4.5 feet on right side. That seems like enough for towers to breathe, especially smaller ones. Correct me if I am wrong.

@gajCA
I dont yet have the wall mount for the large Samsung TV, but the center speaker will sit on the cabinet below the TV once its mounted.

Some additional questions:
* What sets of speakers have to match?? I was assuming front 3 should match and all surrounds should match.
* My middle surround speaker placement is between 1st and 2nd row (out of 3). So would I use a monopole or bipole/dipole speakers?
* Should I find an AV consultant to help me finish it out?? Seems like maybe overkill given my budget. I live in metro Atlanta area.
butlersw3 is offline  
post #14 of 14 Old 11-13-2018, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 18,417
Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8585 Post(s)
Liked: 5784
Quote:
Originally Posted by butlersw3 View Post
Its becoming clear to me that I made some choice that were not ideal. I had researched the room size and made some decisions about what level of Dolby sound I wanted to support. I assumed a 17x20 room was pretty large but it turns out not to be so. I followed the Dolby 7.1 diagram with the exception that the middle surrounds are between 1st and 2nd rows and sub is on right. I don't have much flexibility now other than speaker selection and component selection (AV receiver, BluRay).

@zorba
Ive pretty much made my bed here so I have to lie in it. I could put bookshelf speakers in the cabinetry but I really set it up for towers on the front left and right, a subwoofer in the front right, and a center speaker. Its nice hearing the the RP-280F are way more than I need because smaller towers will be cheaper. I am not set on any particular speaker, but I want to be able to hear before I buy. The Klipsch RP series is on major sales right now as the new series is coming out. I looked at the JBL 5 series but they were much more expensive. Its hard to tell in the picture but I have 2.5 feet on left side and 4.5 feet on right side. That seems like enough for towers to breathe, especially smaller ones. Correct me if I am wrong.

@gajCA
I dont yet have the wall mount for the large Samsung TV, but the center speaker will sit on the cabinet below the TV once its mounted.

Some additional questions:
* What sets of speakers have to match?? I was assuming front 3 should match and all surrounds should match.
* My middle surround speaker placement is between 1st and 2nd row (out of 3). So would I use a monopole or bipole/dipole speakers?
* Should I find an AV consultant to help me finish it out?? Seems like maybe overkill given my budget. I live in metro Atlanta area.
No need to get a consultant; it's really not that complicated.

Smaller Klipsch, Elac or Polk Signature towers are available from Best Buy with free returns, (depending on what they have in stock).

Try to match the front three, the other speakers don't have to match.

If you are considering ever doing Atmos then monopole for the surrounds, if you are not then a bipole/dipole might work best for you to spread the surround sound to a greater area.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off