Atmos - the trickiest ceiling and room ever [HELP] - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-12-2018, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Atmos - the trickiest ceiling and room ever [HELP]

Okay guys, sorry about the mess but I just detached everything from the walls etc because I painted my room and moved everything so I had to do this video now in order for you to see and suggest me what to do.

I have a 5.2 and I'm still very happy with it. The position of the surrounds are directly on the wall next to the library you see behind the couch. I know it's not the ideal position and they might appear as surround back but it's the actual only surround. I've been told long ago that as long as they are above ear level and pointed to the viewer I would be fine. And I was till now yes. As you might have thought yes the tv and the towers are against that very low wall (not now because I moved them in order to paint and all). Couch in the middle.

Now...as I said already, I've always enjoyed by setup, I don't know if it's the ultra sloped very low ceiling (1.20m or something in the lowest point as you can see me touching it LoL) but I've always felt very wrapped watching a movie, even if I don't have a 7.1!

But now, before I rewire everything (I just bought new cables too and a new AVR is on the way, Pioneer SC-LX701) do you see any possibility for my ultra annoying room to get Atmos somehow? Upfiring speakers on the front I know already are a no no, because of the sloped ceiling and because of the wood, too. In ceiling is definitely a no no as well since it's very very low and I can't attach them anyways with my wood and all.

Should I give up? Should I at least upgrade to 7.1 or something by putting 2 new speakers in those very distant walls compared to the position of the couch? It feels stupid...

Atmos forever a dream for me? This is bugging me a lot as of late, despite being happy with my setup I read everybody super mega happy for the having done the jump from 5.1/7.1 to Atmos just by adding 2 more speakers =(

Last edited by Egidio Concas; 11-13-2018 at 05:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-13-2018, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone? =(
post #3 of 9 Old 11-13-2018, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 250 Post(s)
Quoted: 7778 Post(s)
Liked: 6947
Atmos is about separating sounds around you versus sounds above you. No way to get sounds above you if you can't place speakers above you (due to the low ceiling). Stick to your 5.1 layout (except I would move the surround speakers to the back corners of the room for greater envelopment).

Sanjay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 11-13-2018, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
Atmos is about separating sounds around you versus sounds above you. No way to get sounds above you if you can't place speakers above you (due to the low ceiling). Stick to your 5.1 layout (except I would move the surround speakers to the back corners of the room for greater envelopment).
thanks, Sdu.

So back corners even if so distant? I'm trying to distance them the best I can in order to have a straight line from the speaker to the ear...
post #5 of 9 Old 11-13-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egidio Concas View Post
So back corners even if so distant?
During initial calibration, your receiver will adjust delays and levels to make the surrounds appear the same distance away as all other speakers. The corner has multiple reflective surfaces and will provide greater envelopment. Also, surrounds are meant to be closer to your sides (±90-110°), not directly behind you.

Sanjay
post #6 of 9 Old 11-13-2018, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
During initial calibration, your receiver will adjust delays and levels to make the surrounds appear the same distance away as all other speakers. The corner has multiple reflective surfaces and will provide greater envelopment. Also, surrounds are meant to be closer to your sides (±90-110°), not directly behind you.
I have them like this actually:

post #7 of 9 Old 11-13-2018, 01:18 PM

OK (doesn't look that way on the video).

Sanjay
post #8 of 9 Old 11-13-2018, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Can you go 7.1 with something like this:

Positioning on the right might be a little weird with that staircase, but regardless I still think it'd be an upgrade over your current 5.1.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-13-2018, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordredKLB View Post
Can you go 7.1 with something like this:

Positioning on the right might be a little weird with that staircase, but regardless I still think it'd be an upgrade over your current 5.1.
I wish but i should put the speakers next to the couch on some kind of stand, resulting ugly and highly bumpable =(

Last edited by Egidio Concas; 11-13-2018 at 04:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page