Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-16-2018, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Thiel CS7 (not CS7.2)

Hi All:
I know the forum is full of this kind of question, but I'll ask anyway! There is a local listing for a pair of Thiel CS7, not the newer CS7.2, in excellent condition. Currently, I'm running the Thiel CS3.6 for my music room and absolutely love them, so this is why I want to see if this CS7 pair is a good upgrade path. However, I can't seem to find much info regarding the CS7 or even the user manual! There are tons of info on the CS7.2, but not the CS7. Does anyone have any info on this speaker? Also, the price is $2500, is that an OK price for a used CS7 pair ( I really hope that I didn't violate any forum rule regarding posting the price!).
Thank you for any help!
BT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-16-2018, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked: 5076
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by btran33 View Post
Hi All:
I know the forum is full of this kind of question, but I'll ask anyway! There is a local listing for a pair of Thiel CS7, not the newer CS7.2, in excellent condition. Currently, I'm running the Thiel CS3.6 for my music room and absolutely love them, so this is why I want to see if this CS7 pair is a good upgrade path. However, I can't seem to find much info regarding the CS7 or even the user manual! There are tons of info on the CS7.2, but not the CS7. Does anyone have any info on this speaker? Also, the price is $2500, is that an OK price for a used CS7 pair ( I really hope that I didn't violate any forum rule regarding posting the price!).
Thank you for any help!
BT
Audiogon has a very active Thiel thread. Tom Thiel the brother of the late Jim Thiel answers a lot of questions. Also they may have an upgrade program for the CS7. The former head of the Thiel service department still works on Thiel speakers.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-17-2018, 05:03 PM
22L

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Not sure where you live but there is a pair for sale on Portland Oregon Craigslist.

They look nice in the pictures and he's asking $1600. I thought about it, but I don't have the amps to drive them.

I just got off the phone with him. He's and elderly gentleman and the original owner. They are in great shape. He will not ship them but he said if someone wants to arrange a shipping company to pick them up, pack them and ship them that's fine.

He's an audio enthusiast and was actually at Echo Audio when I talked to him (if anyone is in the Portland area I highly recommend stopping in here). The Theils are just to big for him(size and sound) so it's time for them to go.

Last edited by 22L; 11-17-2018 at 05:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 11-17-2018, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22L View Post
Not sure where you live but there is a pair for sale on Portland Oregon Craigslist.

They look nice in the pictures and he's asking $1600. I thought about it, but I don't have the amps to drive them.

I just got off the phone with him. He's and elderly gentleman and the original owner. They are in great shape. He will not ship them but he said if someone wants to arrange a shipping company to pick them up, pack them and ship them that's fine.

He's an audio enthusiast and was actually at Echo Audio when I talked to him (if anyone is in the Portland area I highly recommend stopping in here). The Theils are just to big for him(size and sound) so it's time for them to go.
Thanks for the info! Unfortunately, I'm in DC area so too far for me! Yeah, Thiel is quite hard to drive. My current CS3.6 is working wonderful with the Proceed HPA3 (Mark Levinson) amp.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-01-2019, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Thanks for the info! Unfortunately, I'm in DC area so too far for me! Yeah, Thiel is quite hard to drive. My current CS3.6 is working wonderful with the Proceed HPA3 (Mark Levinson) amp.
Did you ever buy the CS7's? I have a pair of rosewood CS7's that I got from a family friend and they are just too large for my small basement.

I'm powering them with an Outlaw amp that's not just doing them justice.

Thanks,
-Mike
post #6 of 8 Old 12-02-2019, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso124 View Post
Did you ever buy the CS7's? I have a pair of rosewood CS7's that I got from a family friend and they are just too large for my small basement.

Thanks,
-Mike
Hi Zoso:
Thanks for reaching out to me. I didn't get that pair of the CS7 as it was having a number of cracks on the front concrete baffles, which can't be fixed easily. Anyway, I'm still interested in a pair of the price and condition are good. Let me know what you have in mind and you are in or close to DC, right? As it won't be economically to ship a >200lb/per speaker anywhere!
Thanks,
BT
post #7 of 8 Old 12-02-2019, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks,
-Mike
Hi Zoso:
Thanks for reaching out to me. I didn't get that pair of the CS7 as it was having a number of cracks on the front concrete baffles, which can't be fixed easily. Anyway, I'm still interested in a pair of the price and condition are good. Let me know what you have in mind and you are in or close to DC, right? As it won't be economically to ship a >200lb/per speaker anywhere!
Thanks,
BT
BT,
Mine have the hairline cracks at the edges passive radiators. It's the thinnest part of the cast concrete. I've seen this on a few others. I can't see this effecting anything, the mdf isn't cracked. The concrete is casted onto the cabinet and has no flex. If your still interested I can send you some photos.

Thanks
post #8 of 8 Old 12-03-2019, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
BT,
Mine have the hairline cracks at the edges passive radiators. It's the thinnest part of the cast concrete. I've seen this on a few others. I can't see this effecting anything, the mdf isn't cracked. The concrete is casted onto the cabinet and has no flex. If your still interested I can send you some photos.

Thanks
OK, where are you and how much do you ask for?
BT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page