• 1 Post By adrummingdude

post #1 of 22 Old 11-16-2018, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Focal 926 or KEF R700?

Happy Friday,

After extensive research and some auditioning I've narrowed down my speaker search to focal 926/936 or KEF R700s. My issue is I haven't been able to here either but I did hear the focal 906 and KEF r300, I preferred the focal. The KEF was to neutral with both running in pure direct. I'm sure room correction and some tone control could get the KEF on par but I like the starting point of the focal. Both were streaming tidal through a Marantz 7012.

I will be upgrading to my AVR to the same 7012 or higher, NAD777, MRX720 or possibly emotiva XMC1/AMP...still trying to decide which way to go there. The Marantz 7012 is a screaming deal rightnow. Room is 15x23x10, mixed use TV/Music room.

Love to have input from those who have auditioned/owned any of this equipment!

B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 11-17-2018, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

No one has cross shopped these?

I let the wife decide and we're going with Focals, can't say that I've seen a negative thing on them minus the challenge they can present a cheap amp. Tried the Kefs again today and they just did not excite infact I'd say my DT SM450s sound better.
post #3 of 22 Old 11-18-2018, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 257 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10181 Post(s)
Liked: 7214
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpursFan View Post

I let the wife decide and we're going with Focals, can't say that I've seen a negative thing on them minus the challenge they can present a cheap amp. Tried the Kefs again today and they just did not excite infact I'd say my DT SM450s sound better.
Please come back and give us your impressions.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 11-18-2018, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 3331 Post(s)
Liked: 2202
Quote:

The KEFs might not be for everyone. I did audition them at one point, and while pleasant, I found them more laid back than I prefer, so I went with Paradigm. My local dealer started to carry Focal towards the end of their time, but I never really had a chance to do any serious listening. What little I heard though certainly sounded good! Lots of happy Focal owners here.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #5 of 22 Old 11-18-2018, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked: 2596
my focals sound better now than when new....very happy with them...setting them up can be a challenge tho...dont just plop em done and let that be it.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300 LG oled c9 77
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS, Audioengine A2+
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP, Velodyne HGS 12, Velodyne VA1512
post #6 of 22 Old 11-18-2018, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
The KEFs might not be for everyone. I did audition them at one point, and while pleasant, I found them more laid back than I prefer, so I went with Paradigm. My local dealer started to carry Focal towards the end of their time, but I never really had a chance to do any serious listening. What little I heard though certainly sounded good! Lots of happy Focal owners here.
Laid back is a great term for how I felt about them, balanced just a little to light up top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Please come back and give us your impressions.
Will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
my focals sound better now than when new....very happy with them...setting them up can be a challenge tho...dont just plop em done and let that be it.
Thanks for the feedback, most of what I've read about them states the same, tricky to position. I only have 1-2' to work off the back wall but plenty of spacing left to right. I'm just trying to make a last minute decision on AVR/Separates...leaning towards Anthem MRX 720 or NAD777. Would love to go Emotiva I'm just hearing to many potential issues.

Last edited by SpursFan; 11-18-2018 at 04:48 PM.
post #7 of 22 Old 11-18-2018, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked: 2596
all 3 of avr you listed have glitches. my focals are 20 inches from back wall and sound fantastic...I tried all the way out to 48 inches and didnt see/hear anything worth that compromise in my walking space

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300 LG oled c9 77
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS, Audioengine A2+
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP, Velodyne HGS 12, Velodyne VA1512
post #8 of 22 Old 11-18-2018, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
all 3 of avr you listed have glitches. my focals are 20 inches from back wall and sound fantastic...I tried all the way out to 48 inches and didnt see/hear anything worth that compromise in my walking space
That's what's making the decision difficult, they all seem to have one issue or another. It really gets me looking back at Marantz. I've always had Denon so the ease of use with few issues has been nice. I need a 4k AVR and would like to step in to something with Dirac based on all the great feedback vs Audessy. The search goes on.
post #9 of 22 Old 11-19-2018, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 3331 Post(s)
Liked: 2202
Quote:
That's what's making the decision difficult, they all seem to have one issue or another. It really gets me looking back at Marantz. I've always had Denon so the ease of use with few issues has been nice. I need a 4k AVR and would like to step in to something with Dirac based on all the great feedback vs Audessy. The search goes on.
Dirac is supposed to be pretty sweet. Your familiarity with D&M is to be considered, but I wouldn't base a choice on that. Whatever you purchase, you'll become familiar with it.

More folks do switch to Anthem with its ARC EQ from systems with Audyssey, not the other way around (based on my readings here at this forum) so if you have a "challenging" room, you should consider Anthem (also very good support), but you'll pay a premium for it.

I'll let NAD/Dirac owners speak for themselves since I can not do so on both counts.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #10 of 22 Old 11-19-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Happy Friday,

After extensive research and some auditioning I've narrowed down my speaker search to focal 926/936 or KEF R700s. My issue is I haven't been able to here either but I did hear the focal 906 and KEF r300, I preferred the focal. The KEF was to neutral with both running in pure direct. I'm sure room correction and some tone control could get the KEF on par but I like the starting point of the focal. Both were streaming tidal through a Marantz 7012.

I will be upgrading to my AVR to the same 7012 or higher, NAD777, MRX720 or possibly emotiva XMC1/AMP...still trying to decide which way to go there. The Marantz 7012 is a screaming deal rightnow. Room is 15x23x10, mixed use TV/Music room.

Love to have input from those who have auditioned/owned any of this equipment!

B
The virtually identical except for a meaningless 15 watts of power Marantz 6012 is an even better deal at $900 at Crutchfield.

Based on my experience with a NAD AVR 9 years ago that failed prematurely I'm a bit gunshy with NAD AVRs though my 2 channel NAD stuff from the late 80s are still going strong.

If you don't have a sub, and will be getting one, and Audyssey XT32 doesn't quite do it, Marin Logan's new X series subs are actually not badly priced, (albeit sealed), and come with Anthem Room Correction built in.

Geoff A. J., California
post #11 of 22 Old 11-19-2018, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1000 Post(s)
Liked: 857
Quote:
My issue is I haven't been able to here either but I did hear the focal 906 and KEF r300, I preferred the focal.
Sounds like you made up your mind already.
post #12 of 22 Old 11-19-2018, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Dirac is supposed to be pretty sweet. Your familiarity with D&M is to be considered, but I wouldn't base a choice on that. Whatever you purchase, you'll become familiar with it.

More folks do switch to Anthem with its ARC EQ from systems with Audyssey, not the other way around (based on my readings here at this forum) so if you have a "challenging" room, you should consider Anthem (also very good support), but you'll pay a premium for it.

I'll let NAD/Dirac owners speak for themselves since I can not do so on both counts.
Count me among those who went to Anthem from Marantz and haven't looked back. The Anthem stuff just sounds better, even without the room correction.
Jonas2 likes this.

HT: KEF Reference 1 - Anthem AVM60 & MCA525 - Martin Logan Focus - DefTech XTR-20BP - Dual SVS SB16 Ultra
Office 2CH: KEF LS50 - Crown - Bluesound
Stage: Allen & Heath Dlive s5000 - Westone AMPRO 30 - AKG mics - Crown Amps
WAF is currently at DEFCON ORANGE
post #13 of 22 Old 11-19-2018, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1000 Post(s)
Liked: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrummingdude View Post
Count me among those who went to Anthem from Marantz and haven't looked back. The Anthem stuff just sounds better, even without the room correction.
Is this because most people jump up in price or do you still find it better at the same price point. I ask because I'm running a 8000 Series Marantz AVR that I love and I just plan to stick with Marantz and use the old AVR to run the smaller channels.
post #14 of 22 Old 11-19-2018, 10:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklightning View Post
Is this because most people jump up in price or do you still find it better at the same price point. I ask because I'm running a 8000 Series Marantz AVR that I love and I just plan to stick with Marantz and use the old AVR to run the smaller channels.
Well, I haven't heard an 8000 series Marantz so I wouldn't be able to say. What I can say was going from a Marantz 7702 MKii to an Anthem MRX720 and ultimately an AVM60 was a huge improvement. The MRX series receivers are/were priced similarly to the 7000 series processors from Marantz at the time, so I do see them as competing products.
Blacklightning likes this.

HT: KEF Reference 1 - Anthem AVM60 & MCA525 - Martin Logan Focus - DefTech XTR-20BP - Dual SVS SB16 Ultra
post #15 of 22 Old 11-20-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Well, I haven't heard an 8000 series Marantz so I wouldn't be able to say. What I can say was going from a Marantz 7702 MKii to an Anthem MRX720 and ultimately an AVM60 was a huge improvement. The MRX series receivers are/were priced similarly to the 7000 series processors from Marantz at the time, so I do see them as competing products.
Anthem makes some nice stuff, for sure.

But I'm guessing my next AVR will more than likely be a Marantz.

They are a Canadian firm I bellieve.

Mind you I don't need more than 5.2 and the Anthem MRX 520 at $1400 does look attractive considering the Marantz 5013 with similar specs, (albeit 7.2), is $1000.

So maybe Anthem then.

I always did like Canadians!

Does ARC EQ subs as well in their AVRs?

Geoff A. J., California
post #16 of 22 Old 11-20-2018, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
The virtually identical except for a meaningless 15 watts of power Marantz 6012 is an even better deal at $900 at Crutchfield.

Based on my experience with a NAD AVR 9 years ago that failed prematurely I'm a bit gunshy with NAD AVRs though my 2 channel NAD stuff from the late 80s are still going strong.

If you don't have a sub, and will be getting one, and Audyssey XT32 doesn't quite do it, Marin Logan's new X series subs are actually not badly priced, (albeit sealed), and come with Anthem Room Correction built in.
I've heard good things about ML subs, I didn't realize they have room correction built in.something to consider for sure.
post #17 of 22 Old 11-20-2018, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I've listened to a few Anthem amps and they sound fantastic. The only thing pulling me away from Anthem is Dirac, I keep reading about how great it is. I don't think you can go wrong with any AVR I'm looking at but I sure wish you could demo them side by side!
post #18 of 22 Old 11-21-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
I've listened to a few Anthem amps and they sound fantastic. The only thing pulling me away from Anthem is Dirac, I keep reading about how great it is. I don't think you can go wrong with any AVR I'm looking at but I sure wish you could demo them side by side!
Discussion about all the EQs out there.

Not sure Dirac is better than ARC but this implies they are both excellent.

https://hometheaterreview.com/room-c...ion-revisited/

Geoff A. J., California
post #19 of 22 Old 11-21-2018, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
FWIW, many people regard Dirac and ARC (Anthem Room Correction) to be on the same tier, with Dirac having maybe a slight edge. I know that personally going to ARC from Audyssey was a huge improvement, especially with subwoofer integration. I have used Pioneer's MCACC before too, and really liked certain things about it (timing).

To most people who have extensive experience with room correction, the list has three tiers.

MCACC, YPAO, and AUDYSSEY are on the lower tier, DIRAC and ARC on the middle tier, and TRINNOV the gold standard, now also implemented in JBL synthesis solutions...it's the cats meow, but be prepared to pony up for the gear and process.

It's important, IMO, to keep a few things in mind when considering the above statement. Firstly, most users only have experience with one or two systems. Secondly, if you hang out on boards like this you'll see a about a bazillion Audyssey threads and posts, even though that system is one of the worst ones out there. That really has more to do with the prevalence of Denon/Marantz receivers and processors than anything else, and owners love to feel good about their decision.

My point on broad strokes is, ARC is impressive, and the gear it is in is impressive as well. Dirac is also impressive, but is implemented across a lot more gear than ARC, so you can run into some turds with the gear because you were primarily chasing the correction software. Choose wisely, or buy an Anthem anything....or heck, man up and buy a Trinnov Altitude.

post #20 of 22 Old 11-24-2018, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Great info, thank you. I've been pretty impressed with Audessy so I can only imagine ARC or Dirac, that along with moving up a couple tiers in speaker/receiver components I have high expectations for this new system. It's down to the MRX720 or NAD777 I just need to make one more sweep of the pros/cons for each.
post #21 of 22 Old 06-02-2020, 10:50 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Great info, thank you. I've been pretty impressed with Audessy so I can only imagine ARC or Dirac, that along with moving up a couple tiers in speaker/receiver components I have high expectations for this new system. It's down to the MRX720 or NAD777 I just need to make one more sweep of the pros/cons for each.
Would love to hear your thoughts on those Focal's you picked up a few years ago.
post #22 of 22 Old 06-03-2020, 02:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2272 Post(s)
Liked: 610
I don't own the models you named, but I own two pairs of Focal and two pairs of Kef ( still have one pair). There is no comparison that Focal are better. I switched from Kef to Focal. I find Kef have no sound stage. I still own the Kef top of the line Reference Series center, it's in the shed outside in the yard.

Own designed power amps, own designed preamps, JM LAB Focal Alto Utopia and Spectral 913.1 speakers, Rythmik F12SE sub.
Not hooked up: Nakamichi Stasis PA-7 power amp, Velodyne VA1210 sub, Kef Reference Series center, Kef Bookshelf speaker, Monitor Audio bookshelf speaker, Infinity rear speakers. Acurus 3X200W amp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page