Trustworthy speaker cable: Blue jeans or SVS Sound path Ultra? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 54Likes

post #1 of 55 Old 11-23-2018, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Trustworthy speaker cable: Blue jeans or SVS Sound path Ultra?

Hello Friends,

I've been learning as much as I can about audio components. Getting my new speakers soon and need/want great cables. From what I have read, just about any oxygen-free, pure copper wire at 14guage is good for most applications.

I feel reassured by the SVS Sound path Ultra cables because they look good, are a reputable brand, and the website is so much easier to use. I have also heard that blue jeans cables are good enough.

Price for SVS Ultra Paths 14 gauge for my fronts in 10ft length is $100 a pair. Blue Jeans for the same length in their 14 gauge Canare 4S11 Speaker Cable, Terminated is the same price.

I feel like going with the SVS Ultra Sound Path but would welcome any suggestions or thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old 11-23-2018, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1894 Post(s)
Liked: 2661
IMO it's a coin toss between the two.
mystickid likes this.
post #3 of 55 Old 11-23-2018, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked: 855
Both will sound the same, just pick the one that looks better to you. For me that would be the SVS.
mystickid likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 55 Old 11-23-2018, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7161 Post(s)
Liked: 5473
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystickid View Post
I feel reassured by the SVS Sound path Ultra cables because they look good, are a reputable brand, and the website is so much easier to use. I have also heard that blue jeans cables are good enough.
Just get generic cable, 12 to 14 gauge, off Amazon for the best price. This is what I use:

Monoprice 14 gauge speaker cable:
https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-12A...SHD4ZB7HP&th=1

Mediabridge banana plugs (optional---more of a convenience thing):
https://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-B...+plugs+10+pair

Or, if you're feeling lazy and don't mind spending more money, pre-terminated:
https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Aff...+speaker+cable
BuddTX, tcramer, mystickid and 7 others like this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #5 of 55 Old 11-23-2018, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked: 1340
Quote:
Hello Friends,

I've been learning as much as I can about audio components. Getting my new speakers soon and need/want great cables. From what I have read, just about any oxygen-free, pure copper wire at 14guage is good for most applications.

Price for SVS Ultra Paths 14 gauge for my fronts in 10ft length is $100 a pair. Blue Jeans for the same length in their 14 gauge Canare 4S11 Speaker Cable, Terminated is the same price.

I feel like going with the SVS Ultra Sound Path but would welcome any suggestions or thoughts.

I don’t believe in the hype of $100 essentially RCA cables. Just get a simple Mediabridge subwoofer cable off Amazon for $10. You aren’t going to get 10x better sound from the SVS cable. Not even 1.5x.

As for normal speaker wire, 14 gauge Mediabridge OFC wire that is burial and in wall rated is only $30 per 100ft roll. Monoprice banana clips are like $5 for 4. Again, all wire is basically the same no matter what brand they’ve printed on it.
MJC5point1 and Bill.L like this.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #6 of 55 Old 11-23-2018, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
I don’t believe in the hype of $100 essentially RCA cables. Just get a simple Mediabridge subwoofer cable off Amazon for $10. You aren’t going to get 10x better sound from the SVS cable. Not even 1.5x.

As for normal speaker wire, 14 gauge Mediabridge OFC wire that is burial and in wall rated is only $30 per 100ft roll. Monoprice banana clips are like $5 for 4. Again, all wire is basically the same no matter what brand they’ve printed on it.

truth.
wiring and cable are the biggest bottle of snake oil known to man.
some actually fall for the hype.
get a good quality wire, and some solid banana plugs, and youll be all set.

ill have to say the ones rubbed down in that snake oil sho do LOOK perdyy!
MJC5point1 likes this.
post #7 of 55 Old 11-23-2018, 08:07 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 162
pure silvers, forget OFC and move beyond copper, wire everything in your room with silver cables.
post #8 of 55 Old 11-23-2018, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodoubt View Post
truth.

why do professional reviewers always use high end speaker cable in their reviews and not the usual monoprice or bluejeans?
Bill.L likes this.
post #9 of 55 Old 11-23-2018, 08:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 844 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLaud25 View Post
why do professional reviewers always use high end speaker cable in their reviews and not the usual monoprice or bluejeans?
Because said 'high end' cable companies indirectly pay the reviewers salary through advertisements, and they send them free cables so they can be listed in the 'reference' system of said reviewers. There's no profit in saying the truth: 'high end' cables are a complete waste of money.
post #10 of 55 Old 11-23-2018, 08:24 PM

Quote:
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/payola
christoofar likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #11 of 55 Old 11-23-2018, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratbuddy View Post
Because said 'high end' cable companies indirectly pay the reviewers salary through advertisements, and they send them free cables so they can be listed in the 'reference' system of said reviewers. There's no profit in saying the truth: 'high end' cables are a complete waste of money.
you didn't take long to pull out the paid card ,give an objective answer plz, not these 'conspiracy replies'. every professional review i see on youtube or professional written reviews i read have it mentioned in the 'equipments used' section what cables they are using, very rarely i have seen them employing monoprice or blue jeans.

and what do you mean by 'high end', if by that you mean higher quality, that makes a difference in the analog realm.

Last edited by JLaud25; 11-23-2018 at 08:29 PM.
post #12 of 55 Old 11-23-2018, 08:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 844 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:
you didn't take long to pull out the paid card ,give an objective answer plz, not these 'conspiracy replies'. every professional review i see on youtube or professional written reviews i read have it mentioned in the 'equipments used' section what cables they are using, very rarely i have seen them employing monoprice or blue jeans.

and what do you mean by 'high end', if by that you mean higher quality, that makes a difference in the analog realm.
I just explained the exact reason for everything you said in your first paragraph. It's not a conspiracy or my imagination, it's just the way things work. I put 'high end' in quotes because the only thing 'high end' about unnecessarily expensive cables is the price.
dswierenga likes this.
post #13 of 55 Old 11-23-2018, 09:03 PM

Quote:
I just explained the exact reason for everything you said in your first paragraph. It's not a conspiracy or my imagination, it's just the way things work. I put 'high end' in quotes because the only thing 'high end' about unnecessarily expensive cables is the price.
But if i extend your same logic, then the speakers themselves the professional reviewers are reviewing could also be said to have been paid advertisements by the speaker companies. in that case you couldnt trust on any professional review to give an unbiased opinion.

And higher end doesn't mean 'unecessarily high priced', it means higher quality, no matter the price tag on it. And not all analog cables are exactly the same, swapping my XLR cables a few years ago, when i was running a pre pro+ power amp combo made a noticeable difference to how my power amp performed, it opened up a lot better using better xlr cables.

Last edited by JLaud25; 11-23-2018 at 09:20 PM.
post #14 of 55 Old 11-23-2018, 09:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1298 Post(s)
Liked: 2100
On the other side of the coin....

It's just machines and electricity--the main thing being voltage drop across a certain length of wire. Generally speaking, keep the voltage drop below 5% and all is well.

Here is a link about that very topic from a McIntosh engineer, in it you will learn what matters, what does not matter and why.

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

Once you get past a certain design criteria, then it comes down to aesthetics and taste. For me, I have always hidden my cables, wires and power cords so looks don't matter to me. They might matter to you so I don't judge on personal style.

Enjoy the read, learn how it works and choose what is best for you.
post #15 of 55 Old 11-23-2018, 09:21 PM

Quote:
But if i extend your same logic, then the speakers themselves the professional reviewers are reviewing could also be said to have been paid advertisements by the speaker companies. in that case you couldnt trust on any professional review to give an unbiased opinion.
That actually is quite true of most of the establishment "audiophile" press like Stereophile, who almost NEVER publish anything but glowing reviews.

"What Hi-Fi?" is the only print audio publication I know of that will occasionally give middling reviews (3 out of 5 stars, maybe 2 once in a blue moon).

And this is why I put much more stock on ANECDOTAL opinion on enthusiast forums like this, even with the knowledge that there are certainly shills and sock-puppet accounts mixed in there too.
ratbuddy likes this.

post #16 of 55 Old 11-23-2018, 09:32 PM

Quote:

so as long as any cable has a 12 gauge oxygen free copper lable stamped upon it, even from a manufacturer you've not heard of, it will perform exactly the same as all other same spec'd cables in the world, and regardless of the equipment used?
post #17 of 55 Old 11-23-2018, 09:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodoubt View Post
truth.

Oh I know... they are silky smooth too... I love the way they make my wallet feel empty and how much they benefit my system... mmm mhm mmm. Sure glad I got that $50 upgrade on my already $200 cable to get a braided cover that looks nice even though I’ll never see it

post #18 of 55 Old 11-23-2018, 09:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
so as long as any cable has a 12 gauge oxygen free copper lable stamped upon it, even from a manufacturer you've not heard of, it will perform exactly the same as all other same spec'd cables in the world, and regardless of the equipment used?

OFC is Oxygen Free Copper no matter what brand it is or what gauge it is. It is up to the consumer to have some smarts not to buy OFC labeled plastic. Do you not agree?

post #19 of 55 Old 11-23-2018, 09:38 PM

Quote:
OFC is Oxygen Free Copper no matter what brand it is or what gauge it is. It is up to the consumer to have some smarts not to buy OFC labeled plastic. Do you not agree?
I see tons of ofc copper branded cable sold on sites on ebay, and the manufacturer under it says 'generic'. so if i buy any one of them, then according to you they should sound exactly the same as all other ofc copper cables sold in the world? according to you the brand name is immaterial.
another question, do you believe the quality of the equipment used matters or it doesn't in regard to the cables used , say speakers and amps priced 5000 usd or higher, would lamp copper cable sound exactly the same on them as it would on a 200 usd pair of bookshelf speakers?

Last edited by JLaud25; 11-23-2018 at 09:44 PM.
post #20 of 55 Old 11-23-2018, 09:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Trustworthy speaker cable: Blue jeans or SVS Sound path Ultra?

Quote:
I see tons of ofc copper branded cable sold on sites on ebay, and the manufacturer under it says 'generic'. so if i buy any one of them, then according to you they should sound exactly the same as all other ofc copper cables sold in the world? according to you the brand name is immaterial.

If you trust the brand to have correctly labeled their wire as OFC then yes. However, if the brand is shady and you believe that they are indeed incorrectly labeling their wire to bait and switch consumers then it probably isn’t OFC. We are all entitled to our own opinions and do remember that our opinions aren’t facts. It’s okay if you like $100 blue jeans cable and I like $30 amazon cable. We both like audio so I see no problem

Last edited by Russdawg1; 11-23-2018 at 09:55 PM.
post #21 of 55 Old 11-23-2018, 09:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

another question, do you believe the quality of the equipment used matters or it doesn't in regard to the cables used , say speakers and amps priced 5000 usd or higher, would lamp copper cable sound exactly the same on them as it would on a 200 usd pair of bookshelf speakers?

Well as said above, as long as there is no voltage drop or signal degradation there should be no problem right? That being said, does a Blue Jean cable provide better signal travel over Mediabridge cable for example?

Copper wire is copper wire like I said. If it’s from a reputable source that isn’t scamming consumers by selling them CCA then I see no reason why it shouldn’t perform just as well. I feel like the only difference that could possibly made to improve signal quality would be shielding and gauge.

post #22 of 55 Old 11-23-2018, 10:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 261
ask whoopi, she knows the deal !

post #23 of 55 Old 11-24-2018, 04:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 647
Quote:
Not if the speaker reviews show measurements, like Stereophile or Soundstage.
post #24 of 55 Old 11-24-2018, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:

Don’t feed the troll!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BGLeduc likes this.
post #25 of 55 Old 11-24-2018, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 2835 Post(s)
Liked: 1806
Quote:

You'd be good either way. Go with what appeals to you the most. As others have mentioned, you could build your own for a lot less, but if you don't want to worry about having to do that, SVS or BJC will both be fine and don't be concerned with all of the cable battling going on here, that's really common-place.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #26 of 55 Old 11-24-2018, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 2864 Post(s)
Liked: 2630
.. and down the toilet this thread goes ...

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #27 of 55 Old 11-24-2018, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 3592 Post(s)
Liked: 2027
if copper is copper why would one expect to hear any difference?

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #28 of 55 Old 11-24-2018, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
In a word.

Yes.
bear123 likes this.
post #29 of 55 Old 11-24-2018, 09:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked: 1669
Looks like no extreme audiophiles have entered the thread yet.

Another recent thread claimed audible improvements with an expensive cheater cord. (The power cord that connects the amplifier/AVR to the power socket in the wall.) I'm not speaking of line noise or anything of the sort: the power cord was supposed to improve the signal. My imagination isn't up to the task of explaining how cabling on the 60Hz AC side could have any observable effect on the audio output. (And why the power distribution cables in the wall wouldn't have a greater effect, if any effect was possible.)

I'd argue that it's not critical to use OFHC copper wire. You could even use CCA (copper clad aluminum). The downside to CCA is its lower conductivity; 12 gauge CCA should be roughly equivalent to 14 gauge copper.

I'm using Monoprice 12w gauge copper. Cheap enough ( < $0.50 per foot). Excessive for most of the runs, but some of the wires are over 40' (12m) long.
Justin Morgan likes this.
post #30 of 55 Old 11-24-2018, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
if copper is copper why would one expect to hear any difference?
i did hear a difference swapping a pair of xlr cables in a pre-pro + power amp combo few years ago, once i replaced the xlr cables with better ones, my power amp suddenly opened up a lot better. a xlr cable is also just a copper wire soldered with xlr plugs on both sides. So i dont blindly buy this 'copper is copper' theory when using analog cables. With a pure digital/fiber cable there is no difference. analog can or cannot present a difference depending on the equipment used. And i use the term 'high end' with analog cables not to mean higher priced but better quality. Sometimes a higher priced analog cable will get you better quality, other times it will just be the same quality but with better looks, depends on the cable. I research properly when shopping analog interconnects and also consider what grade of equipment im going to be using them on and then decide what to buy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers