How Should I Upgrade My Desktop HiFi System? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #1 of 31 Old 11-24-2018, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1
How Should I Upgrade My Desktop HiFi System?

First post in this category so please go easy on me. I'm a novice audiophile and am interested in upgrading my desktop system (this weekend while there are some nice deals if possible).

Below I will outline my current setup. I mostly listen to HDTracks downloads and ripped CD's. I use iTunes + BitPerfect to play the ALAC files. I don't have any set budget, just curious if anyone sees a weak link in my setup.

Current Desktop Setup from source to speaker:
iMac (iTunes + BitPerfect + ALAC Files)
Schitt Modi 2Uber (connected via USB)
Schiit Asgard 2
AudioEngine A5+ (RCA from Asgard) / Sennheiser HD650 (front headphone jack from Asgard)

Appreciate any and all inputs / ideas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 11-24-2018, 12:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 38
The speakers are the weak link until you hit about ~$1500/pair, then it's diminishing returns from there. Kef LS50, Revel M105 are two excellent pairs of speakers for nearfield listening that both have very wide and uniform sound. Ascend Acoustics Luna is quite good as well, but more sensitive to height due to the physics of a ribbon tweeter. For powered, I heard the Kef LSX at my local Best Buy and it's quite good, just like a bass-restricted LS50W. Genelecs are quite good as well.

Then you should look into investing into room correction, get a UMIK-1 mic and a Minidsp DiracLive kit or run REW, or if you have powered speakers that come with their room correction system (like Genelec does) make sure to run that.

Finally, depending on your music tastes and/or living situation (apartment vs house) you may or may not want a subwoofer, or some other bass supplement device (butt kickers/subpac m2).

Last edited by astrallite; 11-24-2018 at 12:55 AM.
post #3 of 31 Old 11-24-2018, 12:54 AM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Upwards of $1500 on DESKTOP speakers? I'd think you'd hit diminishing returns well before that price point.

For a realistic upgrade have you considered adding a subwoofer? That would help flesh out the lower end, especially with 5" speakers like the A5+.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 11-24-2018, 12:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2WheelsWillTravel View Post
Upwards of $1500 on DESKTOP speakers? I'd think you'd hit diminishing returns well before that price point.

For a realistic upgrade have you considered adding a subwoofer? That would help flesh out the lower end, especially with 5" speakers like the A5+.
In the farfield you are listening more to the room, whereas in the nearfield you are listening much more to the uncorrected true response of a speaker. To me the differences between speakers are far more obvious in the nearfield, (and in that vein, listening to headphones is even easier to make a qualitative judgment between transducers) than sitting in a movie theater distance where SPLs and power compression become a much bigger part of the sound equation.
head_unit likes this.

Last edited by astrallite; 11-24-2018 at 01:01 AM.
post #5 of 31 Old 11-24-2018, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrallite View Post
In the farfield you are listening more to the room, whereas in the nearfield you are listening much more to the uncorrected true response of a speaker. To me the differences between speakers are far more obvious in the nearfield than sitting in a movie theater distance where SPLs and power compression become a much bigger part of the sound equation.
You don't have to spend upwards of $1500 to get a great sounding pair of nearfield speakers.
post #6 of 31 Old 11-24-2018, 01:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You don't have to spend upwards of $1500 to get a great sounding pair of nearfield speakers.
I get the sense that you are trying to argue with a strawman.
post #7 of 31 Old 11-24-2018, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrallite View Post
I get the sense that you are trying to argue with a strawman.
No, I'm simply saying in my opinion diminishing returns start well below $1500.
post #8 of 31 Old 11-24-2018, 01:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1482 Post(s)
Liked: 1063
Quote:
No, I'm simply saying in my opinion diminishing returns start well below $1500.

I’m going to have to agree with this. My opinion is that anything above $1000 is where that mark is. If not lower.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #9 of 31 Old 11-24-2018, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

I was looking st the KEF LS50 but am curious to know if they’d be a solid and noticeable difference over my A5+’s. I believe they would be.

The other thing is if I go with the LS50’s I’d need a different amplifier, as my current Schiit Asgard is just a headphone amp. Any Asgard replacement suggestions that can power great speakers and my Sennheiser 650’s?
post #10 of 31 Old 11-24-2018, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6925 Post(s)
Liked: 5214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi767 View Post
Below I will outline my current setup. I mostly listen to HDTracks downloads and ripped CD's. I use iTunes + BitPerfect to play the ALAC files. I don't have any set budget, just curious if anyone sees a weak link in my setup.

Current Desktop Setup from source to speaker:
iMac (iTunes + BitPerfect + ALAC Files)
Schitt Modi 2Uber (connected via USB)
Schiit Asgard 2
AudioEngine A5+ (RCA from Asgard) / Sennheiser HD650 (front headphone jack from Asgard)
If you're 100% happy with the A5+ then I would add a subwoofer.

This, if budget allows:
https://www.svsound.com/collections/...ducts/sb12-nsd

If not, ELAC sub at Best Buy is currently on sale for around $220 and has room EQ.
dswierenga likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #11 of 31 Old 11-24-2018, 08:51 AM

For nearfield, and with a sub, this is would be fantastic for $700/pr and I'd see no reason to spend any more:
http://philharmonicaudio.com/Mini-Monitor.html

But to be honest, you can probably get 90% of that SQ going with $300/pr Emotiva B1s.

That would allow you to get an AVR that has bass management which you'd use with the sub, in the $200-300 range.
Lp85253 likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #12 of 31 Old 11-24-2018, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
If you're 100% happy with the A5+ then I would add a subwoofer.

This, if budget allows:
https://www.svsound.com/collections/...ducts/sb12-nsd

If not, ELAC sub at Best Buy is currently on sale for around $220 and has room EQ.
Quote:
For nearfield, and with a sub, this is would be fantastic for $700/pr and I'd see no reason to spend any more:
http://philharmonicaudio.com/Mini-Monitor.html

But to be honest, you can probably get 90% of that SQ going with $300/pr Emotiva B1s.

That would allow you to get an AVR that has bass management which you'd use with the sub, in the $200-300 range.
Appreciate the input!

I think the main issue I keep running into is my Schiit Asgard 2 isn't an AMP that can power proper speakers. I need a desktop-ready AMP, but there are so many out there I definitely need guidance.

Those speakers look really nice! Though I was hoping for something more mainstream that I could order today/tomorrow from one of the many sites having sales.
post #13 of 31 Old 11-24-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:
I think the main issue I keep running into is my Schiit Asgard 2 isn't an AMP that can power proper speakers. I need a desktop-ready AMP, but there are so many out there I definitely need guidance. Those speakers look really nice! Though I was hoping for something more mainstream that I could order today/tomorrow from one of the many sites having sales.
If you want something ASAP, I'd just go with the Emotiva B1 and an SVS SB12, for the same cost as the Philharmonic Mini.

Easiest way to go with the amp is get a Class D mini-amp with built in DAC, hooks up to your computer via USB and has plenty of power for desktop usage.
https://www.amazon.com/SMSL-AD18-Amp...A2MPJGT5UWECRP

You can probably resell the Schitt gear for at least 50% of what you paid for it on the Head Fi forums...very doubtful you'd hear any difference at all for speaker usage.

post #14 of 31 Old 11-24-2018, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If you want something ASAP, I'd just go with the Emotiva B1 and an SVS SB12, for the same cost as the Philharmonic Mini.

Easiest way to go with the amp is get a Class D mini-amp with built in DAC, hooks up to your computer via USB and has plenty of power for desktop usage.
https://www.amazon.com/SMSL-AD18-Amp...A2MPJGT5UWECRP

You can probably resell the Schitt gear for at least 50% of what you paid for it on the Head Fi forums...very doubtful you'd hear any difference at all for speaker usage.

Excellent, I appreciate the suggestion. In your opinion would that setup excel over my current setup?

I love the look of the LS50’s! Are they not able to work with a Class D mini-amp?
post #15 of 31 Old 11-24-2018, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 165
I use an inexpensive receiver in my office to power speakers and just ordered the SVS SB12-NSD to go with my NHT SuperZero bookshelf speakers. I use a HDMI cable to connect my computer to the receiver. You get a FM radio tuner as a bonus.
Accessories 4 Less has several receivers at around $150. https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...ceivers/1.html

Panasonic TCP65VT60, Denon AVR-x6200w
Oppo UDP-203, Dish VIP722
NHT C4 front speakers, NHT C LCR center spkr
NHT Classic 3 surrounds
Velodyne Optimum 12 & DLS-5000R subs
post #16 of 31 Old 11-24-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Excellent, I appreciate the suggestion. In your opinion would that setup excel over my current setup?

I love the look of the LS50’s! Are they not able to work with a Class D mini-amp?
The LS50 certainly are nice, cosmetically and acoustically, and would have no problem with that amp. But at $700 the Philharmonic Mini with their RAAL tweeter would easily out-finesse them IMO, and the LS50 would need a subwoofer just as much which would add an extra $300-400. In fact, having heard the LS50 I'm not sure I'd take them over the B1s even though they cost over 3x as much...especially not for nearfield usage.

If you want a RAAL speaker with a 3db roll-off at 45Hz (the LS50's 3db roll-off is 79Hz according to KEF) for just $200 more, I'd look at this:
http://philharmonicaudio.com/New%20Philharmonitor.html
or
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...SRM2/srm2.html

post #17 of 31 Old 11-24-2018, 09:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1785 Post(s)
Liked: 1615
I think the ribbons have a narrower vertical dispersion, which makes them a good choice on a desk because your reflections off the desk surface are minimized.

I would recommend a good studio monitor instead though, they will be self powered and contain their own active DSP for perfect amp and driver integration.

Genelac is one of the best and I’d be looking at a pair of the 8030C.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cocrh likes this.

5.1: Samsung PN60F5300 | Sony BDP-S1700 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12

2.0: Oppo DV-980H | Apple Airport Express | Topping D30 | Parasound HCA-1500a | Chane A1.4
post #18 of 31 Old 11-24-2018, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Have you considered a studio type powered monitor? Dynaudio makes some really good ones. Still might need a sub but should sound really good near field.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...udio-bm5-mkiii

I should read before posting. Looks like it was just suggested

Last edited by cocrh; 11-24-2018 at 10:04 PM.
post #19 of 31 Old 11-24-2018, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocrh View Post
Have you considered a studio type powered monitor? Dynaudio makes some really good ones. Still might need a sub but should sound really good near field.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...udio-bm5-mkiii

I should read before posting. Looks like it was just suggested
If I get powered speakers I'd like to be able to get rid of my Schiit gear so its a pure iMac --> all-in-one-speaker setup. Its so hard to determine the best route here.
post #20 of 31 Old 11-25-2018, 04:14 AM

Quote:
If I get powered speakers I'd like to be able to get rid of my Schiit gear so its a pure iMac --> all-in-one-speaker setup. Its so hard to determine the best route here.
You can do that, but keep in mind most powered studio monitors aren't going to have a headphone jack. You'd have find a way to plug your Sennheisers up to your iMac if you want to keep cans part of the setup. I'm assuming here you would be utilizing the 3.5mm headphone jack on the back of your iMac to connect directly to the monitors.

You could go with a pair of multimedia monitors that include a headphone jack built in. These are self powered, but multimedia monitors are usually going to be smaller than the AudioEngines you already own and would most likely be a step down. Like the Mackie CR3 or Presonus Eris E3.5

Last edited by 2WheelsWillTravel; 11-25-2018 at 04:27 AM.
post #21 of 31 Old 11-25-2018, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You can do that, but keep in mind most powered studio monitors aren't going to have a headphone jack. You'd have find a way to plug your Sennheisers up to your iMac if you want to keep cans part of the setup. I'm assuming here you would be utilizing the 3.5mm headphone jack on the back of your iMac to connect directly to the monitors.

You could go with a pair of multimedia monitors that include a headphone jack built in. These are self powered, but multimedia monitors are usually going to be smaller than the AudioEngines you already own and would most likely be a step down. Like the Mackie CR3 or Presonus Eris E3.5
That's true. Are there any desktop-sized AMPs that could nicely power my Senn's & the LS50's?
post #22 of 31 Old 11-25-2018, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's true. Are there any desktop-sized AMPs that could nicely power my Senn's & the LS50's?

NAD D3020 V2.

5.1: Samsung PN60F5300 | Sony BDP-S1700 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12

2.0: Oppo DV-980H | Apple Airport Express | Topping D30 | Parasound HCA-1500a | Chane A1.4
post #23 of 31 Old 11-26-2018, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

OK I went all out and got the LS50 Wireless speakers. Sound spectacular so far! Store I bought them from suggested I upgrade the USB, Power, & Ethernet cables on them.
post #24 of 31 Old 11-26-2018, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OK I went all out and got the LS50 Wireless speakers. Sound spectacular so far! Store I bought them from suggested I upgrade the USB, Power, & Ethernet cables on them.

Don’t waste your money, they won’t make any difference in sound quality.

Lp85253 likes this.

post #25 of 31 Old 11-26-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Greedy ass store just wants more of your $$$ ... did they give you a really good deal on the LS50 and are trying to make up for it? lol
Lp85253 likes this.

post #26 of 31 Old 11-26-2018, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Greedy ass store just wants more of your $$$ ... did they give you a really good deal on the LS50 and are trying to make up for it? lol
Yes. To be honest the guy seemed pretty bummed about letting them go for that much, I paid cash $1900 out the door.

I had a hard time believing the USB / Ethernet / Power cables included by KEF would be subpar - and if you guys say they aren't worth it I will take your word for it. Should I be plugged into a decent power conditioner/strip though? I'm currently plugged into basic IKEA-style power strips. I live in a high-rise building.
post #27 of 31 Old 11-26-2018, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Yes. To be honest the guy seemed pretty bummed about letting them go for that much, I paid cash $1900 out the door.
That is a pretty good price; Amazon and Music Direct are showing them to be $2K even. I don't think he actually lost money on it though...probably just had a much thinner profit margin than usual.

These are what I use for surge protection on the rec of an electrical engineer friend---very reasonably priced, and hasn't failed me yet.
https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Pr...udio+protector

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Ou...protector&th=1
Transmaniacon likes this.

post #28 of 31 Old 11-26-2018, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That is a pretty good price; Amazon and Music Direct are showing them to be $2K even. I don't think he actually lost money on it though...probably just had a much thinner profit margin than usual.

These are what I use for surge protection on the rec of an electrical engineer friend---very reasonably priced, and hasn't failed me yet.

+1 on Isobar units, I have them all over the house, high quality and work well.

post #29 of 31 Old 11-26-2018, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
+1 on Isobar units, I have them all over the house, high quality and work well.

Excellent!

Really appreciate the input guys. I'll grab a couple of those.
post #30 of 31 Old 11-26-2018, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

Schitt Fulla 2. I love it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page