• 1 Post By dswierenga
  • 1 Post By dswierenga

post #1 of 13 Old 11-24-2018, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Questions about Dolby Atmos

I currently own a Yamaha RX-A770 receiver with a 65-inch LG OLED 4K TV and 6 definitive technology speakers. I’ve been planning on purchasing two Atmos speakers for my Atmos-capable receiver, but hanging speakers from my living room ceiling is out of the question. I was looking at the Klipsch RP-140SA upfiring speakers, which are currently $318 for the pair. Will those provide good Atmos sound for a moderately small room with a 10-foot high ceiling?
But here’s my real struggle. I understand that currently the only way to listen to the Atmos speakers is with Atmos-compatible disks and I’m not sure if that’s worth the money to me considering I don’t spend lots of time watching 4K movies. So I was hoping that eventually this investment would pay off in the future with other ways to hear Atmos Sound, perhaps through internet streaming, music or satellite TV. Do you see this as a possibility in the not-too-distant future? A store rep at my local Best Buy said some high-end 4K receivers are capable of upconverting non-Atmos sound into Atmos? I consider my receiver mid-level, but does anyone know if it’s capable of this up-conversion? Thanks in advance for your responses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-24-2018, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 2332
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknGoldBlood View Post
So I was hoping that eventually this investment would pay off in the future with other ways to hear Atmos Sound, perhaps through internet streaming, music or satellite TV.
You can get Atmos content today on Netflix with your LG TV Netflix App through the ARC channel. If you want to avoid the nightmare that is the ARC channel, you can get Atmos on Netflix using an Xbox One or an Apple TV to power the app. Amazon Prime Video also supports Atmos. And the Atmos upmixer does a pretty good job faking it on a lot of content.
BlacknGoldBlood and biga6761 like this.
post #3 of 13 Old 11-24-2018, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was looking at the Klipsch RP-140SA upfiring speakers, which are currently $318 for the pair. Will those provide good Atmos sound for a moderately small room with a 10-foot high ceiling?
Upfiring modules get mixed reviews. Some good; some not so good. I suspect results are largely room and set up dependent. If you can install actual height speakers on ceiling or in ceiling per Dolby installation guideline specs you will increase your chances for a better result.
BlacknGoldBlood likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 11-24-2018, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked: 1842
I'm no expert on Atmos, but the consensus seems to be that ceiling mounted speakers give the best results. Height speakers (on the front and rear walls) are less desirable, and Atmos enabled speakers (ceiling bounce) are the worst.

Another alternative is mounting speakers high on the side walls. Example: https://www.svsound.com/products/prime-elevation You can get the same geometry with other speakers. My Denon AVR-X4300H doesn't have settings for that configuration, so I'm treating the high speakers as ceiling ones.

I only listen to shiny disks, but I believe that I have read that some of the streaming services do Atmos. The Apple TV 4k supports it.

I don't know about up-conversion to Atmos. DTS Neural X and Dolby Surround synthesize 3D audio from non-3D signals. The RX-A770 supports both.

The forthcoming DTS Virtual X is supposed to simulate height effects without any height speakers. (However, Dolby Labs is forcing AVR manufacturers to not permit Virtual X to be used with Dolby source material. I believe that Dolby intends to extend that retro-actively to Neural X.)
post #5 of 13 Old 11-24-2018, 07:07 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7987 Post(s)
Liked: 6091
Quote:
I currently own a Yamaha RX-A770 receiver with a 65-inch LG OLED 4K TV and 6 definitive technology speakers. I’ve been planning on purchasing two Atmos speakers for my Atmos-capable receiver, but hanging speakers from my living room ceiling is out of the question. I was looking at the Klipsch RP-140SA upfiring speakers, which are currently $318 for the pair. Will those provide good Atmos sound for a moderately small room with a 10-foot high ceiling?
But here’s my real struggle. I understand that currently the only way to listen to the Atmos speakers is with Atmos-compatible disks and I’m not sure if that’s worth the money to me considering I don’t spend lots of time watching 4K movies. So I was hoping that eventually this investment would pay off in the future with other ways to hear Atmos Sound, perhaps through internet streaming, music or satellite TV. Do you see this as a possibility in the not-too-distant future? A store rep at my local Best Buy said some high-end 4K receivers are capable of upconverting non-Atmos sound into Atmos? I consider my receiver mid-level, but does anyone know if it’s capable of this up-conversion? Thanks in advance for your responses.
Pretty much any Atmos-capable receiver can "upmix" non-Atmos content into Atmos for you...the question is whether YOU will find it a worthwhile upgrade or not, unless you are easily swayed by the sheer power of ubiquitous sales hype. It's not an easy or cheap upgrade, you see---not only do you need to pay for more speakers and possibly the cost of paying someone to install them, but sometimes significantly more expensive receivers, as well as more expensive content (Atmos discs can be 3x more expensive than non-Atmos).

The only way to find out is to take a couple of your favorite non-Atmos discs into an audio shop with a full Atmos setup (i.e. real in-ceiling Atmos speakers or at least high-wall-mounted Atmos speakers, not those useless "upfiring" modules) and have them play them that way for you, a few of your favorite scenes.

I listened to both native and non-native Atmos content at a shop like that, and walked away totally unimpressed. But that's just me. YMMV.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #6 of 13 Old 11-24-2018, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked: 1683
The above poster did not qualify his post by informing you that his own system is 3.1, and that he doesn't like standard surround sound enough to even invest in the usual 5.1 system. His viewing habits are primarily dialogue-intense movies, and he hates action/adventure and detests blockbuster action movies. Keep these things in mind when putting his recommendations into perspective.

I will agree that you should try to hear an Atmos system for yourself, especially one with upfiring Atmos speakers, before you invest in the technology. However, going to a Big Block chain store to hear it is probably not the best idea. The over-enthusiastic youngsters that work in those places generally don't have a clue how to set up and calibrate an Atmos system in that environment.

Good luck.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
My System
post #7 of 13 Old 11-24-2018, 08:40 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Some Netflix Blu-ray discs are Atmos encoded. Unfortunately, Netflix doesn't tell you which ones are. VUDU also rents Atmos movies.
I bought an inexpensive pair of NHT Atmos speakers and was surprised at how well they work and they would probably be even better if I had two pairs. They are no doubt not as good as ceiling mounted, but this was a cheap way to try Atmos out. https://www.nhthifi.com/products/165...add-on-speaker

Panasonic TCP65VT60, Denon AVR-x6200w
Oppo UDP-203, Dish Hopper
NHT C4 front speakers, NHT C LCR center spkr
NHT Classic 3 surrounds
Velodyne Optimum 12 & DLS-5000R subs
post #8 of 13 Old 11-24-2018, 11:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswierenga View Post
Unfortunately, Netflix doesn't tell you which ones are.
In Netflix, go to the program search bar and type in "Atmos" and all the Atmos content comes up. Netflix has been adding Atmos content pretty regularly since August. There are about 35 Atmos titles right now; there were about three titles as of August 2018.
post #9 of 13 Old 11-24-2018, 11:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked: 1153
Quote:
Some Netflix Blu-ray discs are Atmos encoded. Unfortunately, Netflix doesn't tell you which ones are. VUDU also rents Atmos movies.
I bought an inexpensive pair of NHT Atmos speakers and was surprised at how well they work and they would probably be even better if I had two pairs. They are no doubt not as good as ceiling mounted, but this was a cheap way to try Atmos out. https://www.nhthifi.com/products/165...add-on-speaker
Actually, Netflix does specify Atmos playback. At least on the Windows app version. Not 100% on other versions.

As you stated, ceiling mounted/in-ceiling is definitely the best application, but there are alternatives as others have mentioned. i.e, side mounted (SVS height speakers for example).

As far as upfiring speakers, they are certainly the last resort if you can help it.

"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken." - Tyler Durden

Living Room - Denon AVR-X2400H/MiniDSP 2X4HD/Hsu Research HB-1 Bookshelf (4) w/HC-1 Center/SVS PB12 Plus (1)/Samsung UN65H7150/Sony UBP-X800/PC Built by D-Rail/XBox One S
post #10 of 13 Old 11-25-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post
In Netflix, go to the program search bar and type in "Atmos" and all the Atmos content comes up. Netflix has been adding Atmos content pretty regularly since August. There are about 35 Atmos titles right now; there were about three titles as of August 2018.
I can see that on my cell but not on my PC. The titles that show on my cell all seem to be Netflix produced movies and not Blu-rays. When I search on my computer, the only thing that comes up are films with Atmos in the title and most are ones with "atmosphere" in the title.
I recently watched the John Wick 2 Blu-ray from Netflix and it was Atmos encoded. But if you look at the movie details for that film it says "Dolby Digital 5.1" and doesn't tell you that it is Atmos encoded. I have had this happen on several discs from Netflix.

NHT Classic 3 surrounds
post #11 of 13 Old 11-25-2018, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I can see that on my cell but not on my PC. The titles that show on my cell all seem to be Netflix produced movies and not Blu-rays.
I was just talking about the streaming content. I don't have the mail-you-a-disc service.
post #12 of 13 Old 11-25-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post
I was just talking about the streaming content. I don't have the mail-you-a-disc service.
I do watch streaming Netflix also but with a Roku Ultra. Unfortunately Netflix doesn't support Atmos on the Ultra. I guess I should get the Apple device.
jjackkrash likes this.

NHT Classic 3 surrounds
post #13 of 13 Old 11-25-2018, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sucks about the Roku, but maybe it will get a firmware update like the Xbox and the Apple TV.

The following devices currently support Dolby Atmos with Netflix:

Apple TV 4K (requires tvOS 12 or later)
LG OLED TVs (2017 or newer models)
Pixela 4K Smart Tuner
Sony BRAVIA Android TVs (2018 models)
Windows 10 app (requires Windows 10 RS3 Build 16299 or later)
Xbox One, Xbox One S, and Xbox One X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page