What Front and Centre should I buy? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes
  • 2 Post By Russdawg1
  • 1 Post By cocrh
  • 2 Post By zieglj01
  • 1 Post By unretarded
  • 1 Post By Russdawg1
  • 1 Post By Russdawg1
  • 2 Post By Zorba922
  • 1 Post By Russdawg1
  • 2 Post By Jeremy Buddenhagen
  • 2 Post By doni01

post #1 of 21 Old 11-24-2018, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
What Front and Centre should I buy?

Looking to upgrade college years system:

Have:

Yamaha RX-V379
Polk RM 6750
(currently running as a 3.1 due to wiring difficulties)

Room: Medium sized ~20x15. But a portion is a large open stairway to downstairs. Floor is hardwood. Ceiling is 10ft.

Priorities:

1) APP TV watching (Netflix, Amazon, etc.)
2) Plex Movies
3) Music
4) Sports/Video Games

Ideally I could upgrade speakers (front and centre) to get better voice audio, especially from poorly recorded shows like Man In High Castle (or maybe it is my speakers?).
When the wife is out and away I like to crank it up the tunes, but that is rare.
Mainly we like to have the big booms from movies with the kids.

What should I be looking at?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 11-24-2018, 09:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked: 1342

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Buddenhagen View Post
Looking to upgrade college years system:

Have:

Yamaha RX-V379

Polk RM 6750

(currently running as a 3.1 due to wiring difficulties)

Room: Medium sized ~20x15. But a portion is a large open stairway to downstairs. Floor is hardwood. Ceiling is 10ft.

Priorities:

1) APP TV watching (Netflix, Amazon, etc.)

2) Plex Movies

3) Music

4) Sports/Video Games

Ideally I could upgrade speakers (front and centre) to get better voice audio, especially from poorly recorded shows like Man In High Castle (or maybe it is my speakers?).

When the wife is out and away I like to crank it up the tunes, but that is rare.

Mainly we like to have the big booms from movies with the kids.

What should I be looking at?

Thanks!

For big booms? You need a better subwoofer. SVS PB12 is $500 right now but only for a short time. Best bang for your buck.

Better clarity? Center channel upgrade. Emotiva and Chane use ribbon tweeters and are great for clarity. Emotiva C2 or Chane A2.4 are both great choices for $270. HTD’s L3 Center is also a good choice which also uses a ribbon tweeter.

L/R upgrade won’t do much for clarity upgrade but will add to your ability to “crank up the tunes”. I vote for 3 Chane A2.4’s across the front for LCR. Another idea would be 3 Ascend Acoustics CMT340’s across the front. As long as you use a subwoofer you shouldn’t have to get towers, Bookshelves will do.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #3 of 21 Old 11-24-2018, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
For big booms? You need a better subwoofer. SVS PB12 is $500 right now but only for a short time. Best bang for your buck.

Better clarity? Center channel upgrade. Emotiva and Chane use ribbon tweeters and are great for clarity. Emotiva C2 or Chane A2.4 are both great choices for $270. HTD’s L3 Center is also a good choice which also uses a ribbon tweeter.

L/R upgrade won’t do much for clarity upgrade but will add to your ability to “crank up the tunes”. I vote for 3 Chane A2.4’s across the front for LCR. Another idea would be 3 Ascend Acoustics CMT340’s across the front. As long as you use a subwoofer you shouldn’t have to get towers, Bookshelves will do.
PB12 ordered. Thanks for the tip!

The Chane A2.4 are pre-order only... The Ascends are harder to find, I am in Canada...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 11-24-2018, 09:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

The Chane A2.4 are pre-order only... The Ascends are harder to find, I am in Canada...

Did u check out Emotiva? And HTD?

I’ve always liked Polk’s Signature series, if you liked your current Polk’s, might be something to look into. Polk S20s would be my choice.

Klipsch RP series? RP160’s should be pretty heavily discounted.

Elac Debut 2.0 series are 50% off.

Just trying to give you some options

post #5 of 21 Old 11-24-2018, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Options are what I am here for! Not an area I know much of anything about.

Polk s20 paired with S30 or S35 for centre?

The Elac are on for a good deal, would they be much better or same as the Polks? What would be a good centre in the Elacs?

Polk, Klipsch and Elac all much better deal than Ascends (shipping + exchange), is there any major difference in quality?

Emotiva didn't turn up much for Canada, didn't look for HTD.

Thanks again for the suggestions!
post #6 of 21 Old 11-25-2018, 12:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 413
post #7 of 21 Old 11-25-2018, 12:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3138 Post(s)
Liked: 3052
Quote:
Better than your Polk

Paradigm Atom Monitor
https://gibbyselectronicsupermarket....-atom-monitor/

https://gibbyselectronicsupermarket....aker-open-box/

Monitor Audio
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...10587665.aspx?

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...10587673.aspx?

NHT SuperOne 2.1 -- buy 3 each and use one as a center channel
https://www.amazon.ca/NHT-Audio-Supe...s=nht+speakers

----------------
Who AM I
post #8 of 21 Old 11-25-2018, 12:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1688 Post(s)
Liked: 2080
To be blunt, center channel speakers are lacking.....3 mains across the front as recommended in the above post.

In a ideal world the center channel would be twice the size as the mains as it does the lions share of the work......but 3 up front that are same is pretty good, much better than almost any affordable standard center channel.

That's not always possible, but when it is, its highly recommended.

Big boom, big sub....even when I had a poor performing cnter where dialog was hard to understand I cared about that a lot less when the sub was shaking the room,,,,I had no idea what they were saying, but was having fun with the big room shakin bass, it made up for it....lol

Even when I had grossly undersized mains and center, the sub made it not too bad at all.....
Jeremy Buddenhagen likes this.

Link to Stereo Integrity SI HT 18 sub build......https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-pedestal.html
Speakers and subs for sale...https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...kers-subs.html
post #9 of 21 Old 11-25-2018, 02:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Polk s20 paired with S30 or S35 for centre?

The Elac are on for a good deal, would they be much better or same as the Polks? What would be a good centre in the Elacs?

Polk, Klipsch and Elac all much better deal than Ascends (shipping + exchange), is there any major difference in quality?

Emotiva didn't turn up much for Canada, didn't look for HTD.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Yea sorry I’m not too well experienced with Canada’s options. I’m not too surprised they didn’t turn up.

I haven’t heard Elacs myself but some people were having problems with them being muddy if I remember correctly. Polk’s in my experience have always been a pretty well rounded speaker. Nothing special but never did anything wrong in a sense.

Ascends are IMO soooo much better than Klipsch, Polk, Elac, etc. Super neutral and they are the best speaker I’ve owned so far. They hold their composure very well when you crank them up and are equally musical.

As for centers, if at all possible, try to get 3 of the same speaker up front. Centers are the weak link in most setup. So like from Ascend, 3 CMT340’s for LCR would be a nice front sound stage.

Emotiva’s centers however are very good. Their C1 and C2 center can keep up with the likes of B&W or SVS Ultras.

post #10 of 21 Old 11-25-2018, 04:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3356 Post(s)
Liked: 2829
Quote:

Where did you get the PB-12 from? I've tried on Amazon, but won't ship to my location.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #11 of 21 Old 11-25-2018, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by unretarded View Post
To be blunt, center channel speakers are lacking.....3 mains across the front as recommended in the above post.

In a ideal world the center channel would be twice the size as the mains as it does the lions share of the work......but 3 up front that are same is pretty good, much better than almost any affordable standard center channel.

That's not always possible, but when it is, its highly recommended.

Big boom, big sub....even when I had a poor performing cnter where dialog was hard to understand I cared about that a lot less when the sub was shaking the room,,,,I had no idea what they were saying, but was having fun with the big room shakin bass, it made up for it....lol

Even when I had grossly undersized mains and center, the sub made it not too bad at all.....
Whahaha, this is awesome!
post #12 of 21 Old 11-25-2018, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
Where did you get the PB-12 from? I've tried on Amazon, but won't ship to my location.
Amazon.com, there was one seller that shipped to Canada, added another 20% to order though...
post #13 of 21 Old 11-25-2018, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

The CMT 340s (3) come in at the most expensive
HTD (2 L3 and 1 L3 Center) come in at second most expensive
Emotiva (2 C1 and 1 C1 center) best price

Any clear winners here? The CMTs would be almost double the Emotiva.
post #14 of 21 Old 11-25-2018, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Amazon.com, there was one seller that shipped to Canada, added another 20% to order though...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #15 of 21 Old 11-25-2018, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Using C1’s as L/R, nice

It’s really up to you, Emotiva has been described as “sweet” bordering warm, Ascend is definitely flat on neutral, and HTD has been said to be almost bright. Up to you on what your ears like.

Edit: The Emotiva’s will also have the smallest woofer out of the bunch. 5 1/4 vs 6.5 for the others. Might lose some dynamics there, ask others who have the C1 center.

post #16 of 21 Old 11-25-2018, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 223 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7173 Post(s)
Liked: 5479
Quote:

I'd try the Emotivas first; Amazon CND should have similarly generous return policies as Amazon US. Also, with your hardwood floors the rare combination of detail AND warmth of the Emotivas would be a safe bet.

If you're planning on having the L/R C1s vertical not horizontal, I'd call up Emotiva to make sure that's kosher.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #17 of 21 Old 11-25-2018, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

OK, I went with the Emotiva B1(pair) and C1 (C1s not recommended vertical). Prime shipping, price and size was more manageable than the Ascends

I will report back my impressions.

Thanks for everyone's input!
post #18 of 21 Old 11-25-2018, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OK, I went with the Emotiva B1(pair) and C1 (C1s not recommended vertical). Prime shipping, price and size was more manageable than the Ascends

I will report back my impressions.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Nice! Your setup will be so fantastic just wait!

post #19 of 21 Old 12-17-2018, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

So, things didn't work out exactly as I said in my last post.

Wasn't able to get the PB12, so I ended up with a PB2000-just an amazing upgrade! So many low subtle vibrations that make music or movies a real pleasure to listen and watch.

I also didn't end up with the Emotivas. I guess I never fully checked out my order, but this was a blessing in disguise. I immediately had buyers remorse when I thought I had ordered them, warm sound just isn't my favourite.

I ended up with the CMT 340s. These were a real PITA to get into Canada, so any other Canucks just know the duty and GST adds up. However, well worth the hassle. I haven't had a chance to test them with very many things yet, but music is great, very very nice sound and as mentioned above it is a neutral sound. The one movie test I managed was the opening scene of Episode III SW and there are sounds in that opening scene I had no idea were there. Amazing! I love them. Can't wait to test them more fully.

Thanks so much for everyone's help!
MJB1023 and zeuspaul like this.
post #20 of 21 Old 12-17-2018, 04:12 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
So, things didn't work out exactly as I said in my last post.

Wasn't able to get the PB12, so I ended up with a PB2000-just an amazing upgrade! So many low subtle vibrations that make music or movies a real pleasure to listen and watch.

I also didn't end up with the Emotivas. I guess I never fully checked out my order, but this was a blessing in disguise. I immediately had buyers remorse when I thought I had ordered them, warm sound just isn't my favourite.

I ended up with the CMT 340s. These were a real PITA to get into Canada, so any other Canucks just know the duty and GST adds up. However, well worth the hassle. I haven't had a chance to test them with very many things yet, but music is great, very very nice sound and as mentioned above it is a neutral sound. The one movie test I managed was the opening scene of Episode III SW and there are sounds in that opening scene I had no idea were there. Amazing! I love them. Can't wait to test them more fully.

Thanks so much for everyone's help!
You will love the Ascends!! I have three CMT 340's as my front stage and very happy with them. Enjoy
post #21 of 21 Old 12-17-2018, 07:47 PM

Mentioned: 223 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7173 Post(s)
Liked: 5479
Quote:
I would never call the Emotivas "warm" in the way I'd call Wharfedales "warm"---but hey, Ascends are great too, I've owned the 170, 200, and 340s. Enjoy!

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page