Using these speakers as Dolby Atmos - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Zorba922
  • 1 Post By dswierenga
  • 1 Post By bobknavs

post #1 of 9 Old 11-27-2018, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Using these speakers as Dolby Atmos

Hi, I'm hoping this is the right place to ask for this but can I use some of these speakers as Dolby Atmos over my sitting place https://www.crutchfield.com/g_230150...ml?tp=191&pg=1 I'm aiming for a pair of Polk Audio OWM3 but want to know if they are good for it, if this is not worth what about Bose® 161™ speaker system, Cambridge Audio Minx Min 12 or Yamaha NS-AW150BL? Hope you guys can help me to end my setup, all is left are the Atmos speakers, thanks a lot for any info and sorry for my broken English.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-27-2018, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7156 Post(s)
Liked: 5466
Quote:
Originally Posted by iaiajo View Post
Hi, I'm hoping this is the right place to ask for this but can I use some of these speakers as Dolby Atmos over my sitting place https://www.crutchfield.com/g_230150...ml?tp=191&pg=1 I'm aiming for a pair of Polk Audio OWM3 but want to know if they are good for it, if this is not worth what about Bose® 161™ speaker system, Cambridge Audio Minx Min 12 or Yamaha NS-AW150BL? Hope you guys can help me to end my setup, all is left are the Atmos speakers, thanks a lot for any info and sorry for my broken English.
Anything except Bose! The Polks will be fine, $99/pr is hard to complain about. If you're in the US, the NHT SuperZero is currently on sale at Amazon for $57 apiece, another safe bet for on-ceiling mounting, and I'd expect them to sound better than the Polks for just $14 more per pair.
iaiajo likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #3 of 9 Old 11-27-2018, 05:14 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Atmos relies on directing sound and because the bass part of the audio spectrum is more diffuse, the bass part of the signal is filtered out either by your receiver or by the Atmos spec speaker itself. Consequently, it serves little purpose to spend money of full range speakers to use in Atmos service. It won't hurt to use full range speakers (except your pocketbook).
iaiajo likes this.

Panasonic TCP65VT60, Denon AVR-x6200w
Oppo UDP-203, Dish VIP722
NHT C4 front speakers, NHT C LCR center spkr
NHT Classic 3 surrounds
Velodyne Optimum 12 & DLS-5000R subs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 11-27-2018, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Anything except Bose! The Polks will be fine, $99/pr is hard to complain about. If you're in the US, the NHT SuperZero is currently on sale at Amazon for $57 apiece, another safe bet for on-ceiling mounting, and I'd expect them to sound better than the Polks for just $14 more per pair.
Hi, and thanks a lot! I will get a pair thanks!!!, just a question, how should i use them, twitters to the sides pointing the center or twitters pointing the listening zone? thanks for any info
post #5 of 9 Old 11-27-2018, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswierenga View Post
Atmos relies on directing sound and because the bass part of the audio spectrum is more diffuse, the bass part of the signal is filtered out either by your receiver or by the Atmos spec speaker itself. Consequently, it serves little purpose to spend money of full range speakers to use in Atmos service. It won't hurt to use full range speakers (except your pocketbook).
Hi, so I guess NHT SuperZero 2.1 or even the Polk will do the job fine right? (but i think i will go with NHT SuperZero unless there is something better for the price)
post #6 of 9 Old 11-27-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Hi, so I guess NHT SuperZero 2.1 or even the Polk will do the job fine right? (but i think i will go with NHT SuperZero unless there is something better for the price)
Yes, either will do. I have a pair of SuperZeros in my office with a sub for music. Terrific speakers that are well worth more than the Amazon price.

NHT Classic 3 surrounds
post #7 of 9 Old 11-27-2018, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswierenga View Post
Yes, either will do. I have a pair of SuperZeros in my office with a sub for music. Terrific speakers that are well worth more than the Amazon price.
Thanks a lot my friend!!!, can you recommend me how to mount them, tweeters pointing me or they both pointing each others? (at the ceiling level just in case lol)
post #8 of 9 Old 11-27-2018, 06:07 PM

I don't have ceiling mounted speakers. Others here would be qualified to help though. You might want to check the Dolby site since they have diagrams for alternative speaker layouts.

NHT Classic 3 surrounds
post #9 of 9 Old 11-27-2018, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked: 1667
Quote:
Thanks a lot my friend!!!, can you recommend me how to mount them, tweeters pointing me or they both pointing each others? (at the ceiling level just in case lol)
Point the tweeters at the main listening position.

The NHT SuperZero has a 1/4-20 socket in its back. You could mount them with this, or similar: https://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Uni...dp/B005BV0FHG/
jjackkrash likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers