SVS Prime Wireless Stereo Speakers Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

post #1 of 40 Old 12-02-2018, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9160 Post(s)
Liked: 16156
SVS Prime Wireless Stereo Speakers Review

What exactly do you seek from a wireless speaker system? For some, perhaps it's enough that the speaker is cute, or that it listens to you all the time. But for others, the convenience has to come with a dose of quality and clarity, in other words there has to be some performance to go with the lifestyle-friendly functionality.

SVS Prime Wireless Speakers... To read the review, click here: https://www.avsforum.com/svs-prime-w...tyle-solution/
Blacklightning and tezster like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 12-02-2018, 09:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked: 771
For heaven's sake, when are we going to stop calling speakers with wires coming out of them "wireless?"

Battery powered bluetooth lifestyle speakers are wireless, like the one I have from Sony that I use for open houses. These SVS's still need to plugged into AC, no?...which if needed pulled is usually more involved than pulling speaker wire, countering the advantage of an active system to many users. Oh yeah, and the second one is passive, meaning for a stereo pair there is yet another wire stretched between them that full passive systems don't need. How on earth anyone can call this "wireless" is beyond me. One speaker wire (paired) is replaced by 2 separate wires. Am I missing something here?
Spock1234 likes this.

HT: KEF Reference 1 - Anthem AVM60 & MCA525 - Martin Logan Focus - DefTech XTR-20BP - Dual SVS SB16 Ultra
Office 2CH: KEF LS50 - Crown - Bluesound
Stage: Allen & Heath Dlive s5000 - Westone AMPRO 30 - AKG mics - Crown Amps
WAF is currently at DEFCON ORANGE
post #3 of 40 Old 12-03-2018, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrummingdude View Post
For heaven's sake, when are we going to stop calling speakers with wires coming out of them "wireless?"

Battery powered bluetooth lifestyle speakers are wireless, like the one I have from Sony that I use for open houses. These SVS's still need to plugged into AC, no?...which if needed pulled is usually more involved than pulling speaker wire, countering the advantage of an active system to many users. Oh yeah, and the second one is passive, meaning for a stereo pair there is yet another wire stretched between them that full passive systems don't need. How on earth anyone can call this "wireless" is beyond me. One speaker wire (paired) is replaced by 2 separate wires. Am I missing something here?
Never gonna stop calling a system like this wireless. You are referring to cordless, in the nomenclature of such things. Cordless = runs off battery. Wireless = gets its signal through the air. OTA TV reception is wireless, for example, and cable TV is "wired"

To understand exactly how accepted and commonplace this usage is, just consider the humble "Wireless Router"
Spock1234, blazar, jrh and 1 others like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 12-03-2018 at 06:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 Old 12-03-2018, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 712
Quote:

Hey man, everything's gonna be OK. Have a free snickers

OldJoe, Spock1234 and Tom C like this.

Lyngdorf MP-50 | Yamaha MX-A5200 | Ascend Sierra Towers | Ascend Sierra Horizon | Ascend Sierra Lunas | Ascend HTM-200SE | SVS SB-13 x4
post #5 of 40 Old 12-03-2018, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Nice Review - though having to connect the second cabinet with a wire to the first kills these for a lot of the Customers we talk to, they are happy to have two Mains powered cabinets but can't connect the two cabinets with a cable, a cut down 'Active' slave with a wireless link to the Main cabinet would be ideal.

Joe
Spock1234 likes this.

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
post #6 of 40 Old 12-03-2018, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post
Nice Review - though having to connect the second cabinet with a wire to the first kills these for a lot of the Customers we talk to, they are happy to have two Mains powered cabinets but can't connect the two cabinets with a cable, a cut down 'Active' slave with a wireless link to the Main cabinet would be ideal.

Joe
You can do that within DTS Play-Fi, pairing two of the active units, to play stereo. The "cost" would be purchasing two of these active units, at 500 bucks a pop ($1000 total), instead of 600 bucks by going with the wired link. There are some other limitations... Wi-Fi via Play-Fi is the only source, can’t use presets, can’t use "critical listening" mode. But you certainly can have a pair of the active model play stereo sound, with no wire connecting them

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 12-03-2018 at 10:02 AM.
post #7 of 40 Old 12-03-2018, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookiegr View Post
Last I checked, I didn't need to plug-in Bluetooth. Is a car still an automobile if it's standing still?
Well you'll certainly need to plug this SVS speaker in if you want it to play music...and then plug a second one into the first if you want that one to play music too.

And as long as we're being completely silly about it, is a running shoe still a running shoe if no one is running while wearing the shoe?
Spock1234 likes this.

HT: KEF Reference 1 - Anthem AVM60 & MCA525 - Martin Logan Focus - DefTech XTR-20BP - Dual SVS SB16 Ultra
post #8 of 40 Old 12-03-2018, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9080 Post(s)
Liked: 6222
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
What exactly do you seek from a wireless speaker system? For some, perhaps it's enough that the speaker is cute, or that it listens to you all the time. But for others, the convenience has to come with a dose of quality and clarity, in other words there has to be some performance to go with the lifestyle-friendly functionality.

SVS Prime Wireless Speakers... To read the review, click here: https://www.avsforum.com/svs-prime-w...tyle-solution/
Great new addition to this particular market niche.

Geoff A. J., California
post #9 of 40 Old 12-03-2018, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Well you'll certainly need to plug this SVS speaker in if you want it to play music...and then plug a second one into the first if you want that one to play music too.

And as long as we're being completely silly about it, is a running shoe still a running shoe if no one is running while wearing the shoe?
You can stream stereo to a pair of active Prime Wireless speakers, with some limitations (you need to stream over the network, not Bluetooth or physical input).

It's still open and shut. It's wireless because it connects to a wireless router.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_router

Hopefully you will soon realize you are using the word "wireless" the wrong way and drop this topic.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #10 of 40 Old 12-03-2018, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You can stream stereo to a pair of active Prime Wireless speakers, with some limitations (you need to stream over the network, not Bluetooth or physical input).

It's still open and shut. It's wireless because it connects to a wireless router.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_router

Hopefully you will soon realize you are using the word "wireless" the wrong way and drop this topic.
Though I was going to enlighten you with the definition of "wire," I will indeed instead drop it. I bet the speakers sound great, cords and all.
Spock1234 and Blacklightning like this.

post #11 of 40 Old 12-03-2018, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Though I was going to enlighten you with the definition of "wire," I will indeed instead drop it. I bet the speakers sound great, cords and all.

Good grief!

Sony 55W905A, Dahquist DQ10 (x4), BW sub, McIntosh MC-2150/2200, OPPO BDP-105D
post #12 of 40 Old 12-03-2018, 02:52 PM

Liked: 36
An otherwise 5-star review from an Amazon Vine user has these caveats which make it 4-star:

The PlayFi app at the time of this writing is horrible. I have been using the Prime Wireless Speakers for a week and at the moment I am writing this, I am trying to play Maren Morris' My Church and the music just won't turn on. I immediately went to the Sonos App and my Sonos Connect Amp to play the same song on Spotify and it played right way. Why? I am not sure. The problem is that this happens several times a day. Just today listening to Amazon Music for 4 hours, the music stopped 4 times. Sonos never does that. Also, whenever I get home and open the PlayFi app, it takes 47-52 seconds (Yes I timed it) to pick up my speakers and sometimes it doesn't. This is BEYOND frustrating. Sonos just works. When I close the app and open it again, most of the time it will reset and work, but I shouldn't have to do that multiple times a day.

The PlayFi App just doesn't work very well, doesn't have Apple Music, doesn't have Line-In Volume Control or input switching and a poor interface with Spotify. Once those things are worked out, I will trade in my Sonos gear....
He goes into more detail. Pending an update, he's using the SVS speakers on a spare TV, connected with an optical wire (gasp!), for watching movies.

EDIT:

For some reason the only Amazon review disappeared. It was pretty good and informative. But the quote stays here. Hope to see some real-world reviews.

Sony 55W905A, Dahquist DQ10 (x4), BW sub, McIntosh MC-2150/2200, OPPO BDP-105D

Last edited by lbjack; 12-23-2018 at 11:33 AM.
post #13 of 40 Old 12-03-2018, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked: 855
Quote:
Now I'm having flashbacks to when "4K" 2160p first came out. I spent so many hours explaining to people the difference. Man did I waste so much time. Marketing almost always wins.

Plus you can just get this.
post #14 of 40 Old 12-03-2018, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjack View Post
An otherwise 5-star review from an Amazon Vine user has these caveats which make it 4-star:

The PlayFi app at the time of this writing is horrible. I have been using the Prime Wireless Speakers for a week and at the moment I am writing this, I am trying to play Maren Morris' My Church and the music just won't turn on. I immediately went to the Sonos App and my Sonos Connect Amp to play the same song on Spotify and it played right way. Why? I am not sure. The problem is that this happens several times a day. Just today listening to Amazon Music for 4 hours, the music stopped 4 times. Sonos never does that. Also, whenever I get home and open the PlayFi app, it takes 47-52 seconds (Yes I timed it) to pick up my speakers and sometimes it doesn't. This is BEYOND frustrating. Sonos just works. When I close the app and open it again, most of the time it will reset and work, but I shouldn't have to do that multiple times a day.

The PlayFi App just doesn't work very well, doesn't have Apple Music, doesn't have Line-In Volume Control or input switching and a poor interface with Spotify. Once those things are worked out, I will trade in my Sonos gear....
He goes into more detail. Pending an update, he's using the SVS speakers on a spare TV, connected with an optical wire (gasp!), for watching movies.

Here's the review—other than the above, pretty much in accord with Mark's.
Oh... so, pragmatically speaking, I like Chromecast. Easy enough to connect one to a pair of these and enjoy that platform, would be nice if it was simply included as well as Play-Fi.

No doubt, Sonos wins over Play-Fi when it comes to streaming apps, but my experience was not like that. I certainly cannot guess why that user has such problems, but I do know I invested in a really good router a couple years back and that was literally like magic when it came to fixing my streaming issues.

Now sure, Sonos sticks to 16/44 and maybe that lets it go light on the bandwidth? Maybe Sonos has spent more programming hours making its networking more robust? Beats me. But I can hardly argue that Play-Fi could be better, or that Sonos does not have a good platform.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #15 of 40 Old 12-03-2018, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Definitions, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklightning View Post
Now I'm having flashbacks to when "4K" 2160p first came out. I spent so many hours explaining to people the difference. Man did I waste so much time. Marketing almost always wins.

Plus you can just get this.
Here's why it's not marketing and is proper usage...

Definition of wireless

wireless adjective
wire·​less | \ˈwī(-ə)r-ləs \
Definition of wireless (Entry 1 of 2)

1 : having no wire or wires
specifically : operating by means of transmitted electromagnetic waves
a wireless remote
2a : of or relating to radiotelephony, radiotelegraph, or radio
a wireless phone
b : of or relating to data communications using radio waves
wireless Internet access

and

wireless noun
Definition of wireless (Entry 2 of 2)

1 : telecommunication (such as wireless telegraphy or radiotelephony) involving signals transmitted by radio waves rather than over wires
also : the technology used in radio telecommunication
2 chiefly British : RADIO

Source: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/wireless

Nothing there about power cords or being cordless. The definition of "wireless" is what matters, not "wire."

You lose this round of "Semantics Games" here on AVS Forum.

-----

OK more dictionary fun...

cordless adjective
cord·​less | \ˈkȯrd-ləs \
Definition of cordless
: having no cord
especially : powered by a battery
a cordless telephone

Source: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cordless

-----

"Dictionaries always have the final word."

Maybe it's time for a "wireless vs. cordless" explainer article...
Tom C and Blacklightning like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 12-03-2018 at 03:58 PM.
post #16 of 40 Old 12-03-2018, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Not sure about winning the ‘semantics games’ - what I can say from a sales point of view is that customers now expect a ‘wireless’ speaker to have a power cord and no other cables no matter if it is a single speaker, a pair of speakers or multiple speakers dotted around a house.

Joe

post #17 of 40 Old 12-03-2018, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post
Not sure about winning the ‘semantics games’ - what I can say from a sales point of view is that customers now expect a ‘wireless’ speaker to have a power cord and no other cables no matter if it is a single speaker, a pair of speakers or multiple speakers dotted around a house.

Joe
Then they could certainly could use just the active Prime Wireless speaker (it is sold without the second speaker) and flip a little switch on the back that activates mono mode, or use two of them as described in earlier comments, through Play-Fi.

In terms of the semantics, the main thing I focused on is how consumer understanding is in fact that a wireless device can have a plug that goes into the wall, because wireless router is a common term, and that not having that plug means it's a cordless device, not wireless.

There are, in fact, numerous systems where you have the tethered second passive speaker and are referred to as wireless. But I can see some folks objecting to that.

Since this speaker system can be used stand-alone, in the manner you described, it is accurately named wireless. It's just happens to have the option of using the tethered (lol) passive speaker for "audiophiles" stereo.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 12-03-2018 at 04:55 PM.
post #18 of 40 Old 12-03-2018, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ideally they would have a second ‘slave’ wireless unit which was less cost than the primary ‘wireless’ Unit - it would broaden the appeal of the system to a lot of potential customers who would likely baulk at having two ‘primary’ units and the resulting extra cost.

Joe

post #19 of 40 Old 12-03-2018, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Are these speakers using the same tweeters as the regular prime series ?...did you find them bright as well ?

Think before you speak....
post #20 of 40 Old 12-03-2018, 11:42 PM

Liked: 44
Pass.
post #21 of 40 Old 12-04-2018, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees24 View Post
Are these speakers using the same tweeters as the regular prime series ?...did you find them bright as well ?
I reviewed numerous Prime speakers, I never found the tweeter to be bright

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #22 of 40 Old 12-04-2018, 03:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
I reviewed numerous Prime speakers, I never found the tweeter to be bright
I had the prime towers and I had to return them after 2 weeks due to fatigue, but everyone is different

post #23 of 40 Old 12-04-2018, 04:53 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
I had the prime towers and I had to return them after 2 weeks due to fatigue, but everyone is different
These speakers measure essentially flat, no signs of any unusual rise in the treble region.

Reality is that it's the design of the crossover, not the driver itself, that will determine if a speaker is bright or not.

IMO the solution to "bright" sound is... room correction, speaker positioning (toe-in/toe-out, ), and treating the room.

Or, I suppose, the other approach is to go find a pair of speakers that significant roll off well before 20,000 Hertz.

You are 100% correct, everyone is different, not only their hearing, but also their room, and their willingness to work through what's necessary to get the best performance out of a pair of speakers.

Of course, the great thing about speakers is there are so many options, so if you shop for a "signature sound" then you'll probably find it.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 12-04-2018 at 05:31 AM.
post #24 of 40 Old 12-04-2018, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
These speakers measure essentially flat, no signs of any unusual rise in the treble region.

Reality is that it's the design of the crossover, not the driver itself, that will determine if a speaker is bright or not.

IMO the solution to "bright" sound is... room correction, speaker positioning (toe-in/toe-out, ), and treating the room.

Or, I suppose, the other approach is to go find a pair of speakers that significant roll off well before 20,000 Hertz.

You are 100% correct, everyone is different, not only their hearing, but also their room, and their willingness to work through what's necessary to get the best performance out of a pair of speakers.

Of course, the great thing about speakers is there are so many options, so if you shop for a "signature sound" then you'll probably find it.
I understand, I just didn't have to do all that with my current set of towers (Emotiva T1).

post #25 of 40 Old 12-04-2018, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
I understand, I just didn't have to do all that with my current set of towers (Emotiva T1).
Oh, those are nice too. Measure well, no drop-off up high or any nonsense. No doubt good speakers, enjoy!
Yankees24 likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #26 of 40 Old 12-04-2018, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Passive or Active

Great. Adding another contender to my list to replace my 20 year old Paradigm Titans. I'm still using my 30 year old Yamaha stereo receiver, and planned to add an inexpensive DAC (Schitt Modi) and some new passive stand mount speakers with a budget of up to $700. I'm beginning to wonder if I may be better off retiring the old Yamaha and going the active route. I keep seeing more new actives coming to market at reasonable price points, and with the addition of DSP I'm wondering if I might do better spending my money that way.
post #27 of 40 Old 12-04-2018, 04:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I would love to hear from an actual owner how these compared to an Audioengine offering if someone happened to have the A5+ speakers and these for example.

post #28 of 40 Old 12-04-2018, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Agonizing through a thread like this instantly reminds me why my visits have become so infrequent.

Guys- rightfully- comment on all of the WIRES (yes, wires) used to run a pair of speakers and they are told (of course) they are not really “wires” but CORDS...then, well, you read it.

All the while most people are thinking how superior to just run a small pair of 16g WIRES from an int amp or receiver or whatever is most likely a few feet away over using a more unsightly outlet and patching the two together with another cord (or wire, or cable...or interconnect!). Or spend $1000 on two CORDED (but not corded with wires) speakers that will now utilize two outlets- you know, outlets that are going to be MUCH more conveniently located and aesthetically appealling than the two 16g wires, I mean cords, I mean wires- because supply power from an amplifier means wires vs supplying power from an outlet means cords...as we all know.

It’s all so obvious of course. Just another solution looking for a problem.

James

My Parlor and Theatre: "Jimbo's Dugout" : https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...re-parlor.html

Actual phone call (see pic to left):
 Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"
Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

Last edited by mastermaybe; 12-04-2018 at 06:21 PM.
post #29 of 40 Old 12-04-2018, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post
Agonizing through a thread like this instantly reminds me why my visits have become so infrequent.

Guys- rightfully- comment on all of the WIRES (yes, wires) used to run a pair of speakers and they are told (of course) they are not really “wires” but CORDS...then, well, you read it.

All the while most people are thinking how superior to just run a small pair of 16g WIRES from an int amp or receiver or whatever is most likely a few feet away over using a more unsightly outlet and patching the two together with another cord (or wire, or cable...or interconnect!). Or spend $1000 on two CORDED (but not corded with wires) speakers that will now utilize two outlets- you know, outlets that are going to be MUCH more conveniently located and aesthetically appeally than the two 16g wires, I mean cords, I mean wires- because supply power from an amplifier means wires vs supplying power from an outlet means cords...as we all know.

James
Just because something has a "power wire" connected to it... hey wait, you do use that term all the time, "power wire" yes? Lol. OK I bet not.

Anyhow, just because something has a power cord does not mean it can't be wireless. Clearly. Also, this speaker can be run without the second satellite speaker that's connected with... OK yes, "speaker wire" ding ding ding we have a winner!!!

But again the definition of "wire" is still not what matters.

The definition of wireless is what matters.

It's in the dictionary, so nobody has to take my "word" for it. The actual definitions speak for themselves.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 12-04-2018 at 06:18 PM.
post #30 of 40 Old 12-04-2018, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

All the while most people are thinking how superior to just run a small pair of 16g WIRES from an int amp or receiver or whatever is most likely a few feet away over using a more unsightly outlet and patching the two together with another cord (or wire, or cable...or interconnect!). Or spend $1000 on two CORDED (but not corded with wires) speakers that will now utilize two outlets- you know, outlets that are going to be MUCH more conveniently located and aesthetically appeally than the two 16g wires, I mean cords, I mean wires- because supply power from an amplifier means wires vs supplying power from an outlet means cords...as we all know.

James
Just because something has a "power wire" connected to it... hey wait, you do use that term all the time, "power wire" yes? Lol. OK I bet not.

Anyhow, just because something has a power cord does not mean it can't be wireless. Clearly. Also, this speaker can be run without the second speaker connected with... OK yes, "speaker wire" ding ding ding we have a winner!!!

But again the definition of "wire" is still not what matters. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif[/IMG]

The definition of wireless is what matters. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]

It's in the dictionary, so nobody has to take my "word" for it. The actual definitions speak for themselves. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
My goodness. Point absolutely missed, and made.

Congratulations.

James
imagic likes this.

My Parlor and Theatre: "Jimbo's Dugout" : https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...re-parlor.html

Actual phone call (see pic to left):
 Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"
Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
dts play-fi , svs prime wireless , wireless speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page