Kef q100 vs q150 comparison - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 68Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 79 Old 12-12-2018, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Blacklightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Edmonton,AB Canada
Posts: 2,080
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbPlan View Post
Thanks. Hmm...I wonder if a little EQ/DSP could sort of turn a Q100 into a Q150. What do you think?
It still blows my mind that someone would go from Q100's to Q150's. I find that if I stay in the same price bracket I would jump to a different brand but if I stay with the same brand I jump up in models. The Q100 is a great speaker and only needed an "upgrade" because it is so old "I still love my curved body version". I would guess EQ could turn it towards a Q150 but some times EQ'ing up high can bring other problems.
Lp85253 likes this.
Blacklightning is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 79 Old 12-12-2018, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4,032
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1930 Post(s)
Liked: 1645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklightning View Post
It still blows my mind that someone would go from Q100's to Q150's. I find that if I stay in the same price bracket I would jump to a different brand but if I stay with the same brand I jump up in models. The Q100 is a great speaker and only needed an "upgrade" because it is so old "I still love my curved body version". I would guess EQ could turn it towards a Q150 but some times EQ'ing up high can bring other problems.
from all reports they are a completely different speaker (sound wise) , so i can see the intrigue with the q150, but in general, i agree , i would elevate to the next level up or try a new line/ maker...

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is offline  
post #33 of 79 Old 12-12-2018, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbPlan View Post
Thanks. Hmm...I wonder if a little EQ/DSP could sort of turn a Q100 into a Q150. What do you think?
Even though I haven't had that much time with the q150s yet, I'd still say no. They really are different sounding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklightning View Post
It still blows my mind that someone would go from Q100's to Q150's. I find that if I stay in the same price bracket I would jump to a different brand but if I stay with the same brand I jump up in models. The Q100 is a great speaker and only needed an "upgrade" because it is so old "I still love my curved body version". I would guess EQ could turn it towards a Q150 but some times EQ'ing up high can bring other problems.
Some people like to hear different speakers and experience the different sound signatures out there. The more I experience different speakers, the more I learn what I like and dislike. I can therefore learn to appreciate different aspects that different models bring. On the other side, I learn what other qualities I dislike. All part of the experience for me. IMO, the q150s and q100s are really quite different sounding...... toMAYto / toMAHto


On another note, I hope to add a little to the original post within the next day or 2.
D33vious is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 79 Old 12-13-2018, 12:41 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by D33vious View Post
Even though I haven't had that much time with the q150s yet, I'd still say no. They really are different sounding.

Some people like to hear different speakers and experience the different sound signatures out there. The more I experience different speakers, the more I learn what I like and dislike. I can therefore learn to appreciate different aspects that different models bring. On the other side, I learn what other qualities I dislike. All part of the experience for me. IMO, the q150s and q100s are really quite different sounding...... toMAYto / toMAHto

On another note, I hope to add a little to the original post within the next day or 2.
It's quite helpful to read about your experiences with these two speakers.

Over a year ago I read that the Q150 was warmer [softer] than the Q100. Another review site made no such distinction—and one was led to believe that the Q100 and Q150 sounded essentially the same.
Lp85253 likes this.
dbPlan is offline  
post #35 of 79 Old 12-13-2018, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Update....Added further thoughts in the original post after a week and a half with the q150s
Lp85253 likes this.
D33vious is online now  
post #36 of 79 Old 12-14-2018, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 12,324
Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6916 Post(s)
Liked: 5205
Quote:
Originally Posted by D33vious View Post
@Zorba922 , to follow up more on your question about the “laid back” mids and detail. I would say that at lower volumes, some of the detail is a little lost because it is somewhat in the background. But when you turn the volume up, you do find that the detail is really there after all. I found myself regularly listening to the q150s at a higher level, and they were much more enjoyable that way.
Interesting...that's the direct opposite of my experience with the Emotiva B1s. They are probably the most satisfying low-volume speaker I've ever had.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
post #37 of 79 Old 12-14-2018, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4,032
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1930 Post(s)
Liked: 1645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Interesting...that's the direct opposite of my experience with the Emotiva B1s. They are probably the most satisfying low-volume speaker I've ever had.
the b1's have a slight midrange bump (as measured by a trusted source) rather than the mid "scoop" these are reported to have.. i thought a minute about ordering the q150's (to replace q100's in the "back up" system.. i love the smooth treble on the q100's(way off axis, we talked about it once) and i like "laid back", but i think the v shaped sound sig might not do it for me.. i am still thinking aa+

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is offline  
post #38 of 79 Old 12-14-2018, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 12,324
Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6916 Post(s)
Liked: 5205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
the b1's have a slight midrange bump (as measured by a trusted source) rather than the mid "scoop" these are reported to have.. i thought a minute about ordering the q150's (to replace q100's in the "back up" system.. i love the smooth treble on the q100's(way off axis, we talked about it once) and i like "laid back", but i think the v shaped sound sig might not do it for me.. i am still thinking aa+
It's possible that I actually PREFER a slightly upside-down "V" shaped curve.
Lp85253 likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
post #39 of 79 Old 12-14-2018, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4,032
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1930 Post(s)
Liked: 1645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
It's possible that I actually PREFER a slightly upside-down "V" shaped curve.
the 10.1s have a little bump down low .. the b1's in the mids .. i think treble rise (making it sound forward) at 5-10k hz is my bug a boo, if you look at "average joe audiophile" measurements the q100's and b1's are very similar up to 6k hz..btw that rise mimics my sources measurements very closely (800-1200 hz..gentle rise)..what i find kinda cool , i do a bit of eq(at 6k hz), and way off axis the q100's sound FULL and smooth and the forward isn't so "over the top"... they become fun after a bit of ear adjust.. i am remembering why i liked them in my bedroom set up..i really am thinking about trying the 150's , but that mid range recess put's me off a bit .. after listening to the b1's and q100's , i think a flatter mid response is better for me..
Vergiliusm and Zorba922 like this.

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is offline  
post #40 of 79 Old 12-14-2018, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member
 
Vergiliusm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: The Land of Enchantment
Posts: 603
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
...and way off axis the q100's sound FULL and smooth and the forward isn't so "over the top"...
Yeah, they were one of the few speakers I've owned that benefited from not toeing in. Once they were dialed in they were very detailed with great imaging. Those Uni-Qs can really reproduce a sound stage.

The recordings, the room, and placement/setup can have such a dramatic effect on the final output. It's fun to find that "sweet spot" in the space and setup when new speakers are added.
sdg4vfx and Lp85253 like this.

"Rock and roll is alive and alright" Sloan
Vergiliusm is offline  
post #41 of 79 Old 01-14-2019, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Added some further notes in the original post.
D33vious is online now  
post #42 of 79 Old 01-15-2019, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4,032
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1930 Post(s)
Liked: 1645
Quote:
Originally Posted by D33vious View Post
Added some further notes in the original post.
i am in the same thought (i don't have the q150s , but was considering them).. the 150's are probably "better" overall , but with either it seems there are "holes" in the performance.. i can't remember , have you tried the emo b1s?.. they probably sound like the 150s at(higher) volume but have low volume detail, they are a bit less detailed in the mids than the q100's (but it's close ) and have more detail in the treble.. and they are MUCH smoother.. just a thought

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is offline  
post #43 of 79 Old 01-15-2019, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
i am in the same thought (i don't have the q150s , but was considering them).. the 150's are probably "better" overall , but with either it seems there are "holes" in the performance.. i can't remember , have you tried the emo b1s?.. they probably sound like the 150s at(higher) volume but have low volume detail, they are a bit less detailed in the mids than the q100's (but it's close ) and have more detail in the treble.. and they are MUCH smoother.. just a thought
Too bad we don't live close. Between us we'd probably been able to join forces and test out more different speakers, although I doubt that would end our curiosities on others! I'm curious what you mean when you say you think the q150s are better overall?

I have not tried the B1's...perhaps I should sometime, but man I really don't care for their looks. The Philharmonic AA+'s are the only other speakers I really had my heart set on.

I should also clarify that sometimes the q150s sound just fine at lower volumes, and other times they don't. I thought maybe it was music sources, but that has not held true after further experimenting. What really gets me is that I have found at times the q100s sound really special to me, but then at other times they get a bit harsh. The q150s never get harsh, and do sound well, but I can't say that they have ever felt that same special feeling the q100s have....if that makes sense.
Lp85253 likes this.
D33vious is online now  
post #44 of 79 Old 01-15-2019, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 4,752
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2574 Post(s)
Liked: 1196
Quote:
Originally Posted by D33vious View Post

I should also clarify that sometimes the q150s sound just fine at lower volumes, and other times they don't. I thought maybe it was music sources, but that has not held true after further experimenting. What really gets me is that I have found at times the q100s sound really special to me, but then at other times they get a bit harsh. The q150s never get harsh, and do sound well, but I can't say that they have ever felt that same special feeling the q100s have....if that makes sense.
I never owned the Q150s, but used to own the Q100s and had a more or less similar opinion. Sometimes they'd sound really nice, A/B against another pair of speakers with the right song, and immediately I'd think the Q100s were superior. But against a different song, not quite so much...

I noticed the harshness with just HT, at normal volumes, so it didn't take a rare song or blasting away to become bothersome after a while. But then again, I think my room and avr (no audyssey) weren't doing it any favors either.

I expect you tried this, but for the Q150s, have you simply tried using EQ (or simply boosting treble) to add some missing detail at lower volumes? I realize it's not as simple as that, but just wondering if it helped at all.
Lp85253 likes this.
Doe Doe is online now  
post #45 of 79 Old 01-15-2019, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
Vergiliusm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: The Land of Enchantment
Posts: 603
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
What really gets me is that I have found at times the q100s sound really special to me, but then at other times they get a bit harsh. The q150s never get harsh, and do sound well, but I can't say that they have ever felt that same special feeling the q100s have....if that makes sense
Yes, I do know what you mean. I replaced my Q100s up front with a similar sized speaker that better handles a wider variety of material to my tastes, and can handle more power for movies, but I sometimes miss their special, unique sound for certain acoustic performances and natural instruments.

"Rock and roll is alive and alright" Sloan
Vergiliusm is offline  
post #46 of 79 Old 01-15-2019, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4,032
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1930 Post(s)
Liked: 1645
Quote:
Originally Posted by D33vious View Post
Too bad we don't live close. Between us we'd probably been able to join forces and test out more different speakers, although I doubt that would end our curiosities on others! I'm curious what you mean when you say you think the q150s are better overall?

I have not tried the B1's...perhaps I should sometime, but man I really don't care for their looks. The Philharmonic AA+'s are the only other speakers I really had my heart set on.

I should also clarify that sometimes the q150s sound just fine at lower volumes, and other times they don't. I thought maybe it was music sources, but that has not held true after further experimenting. What really gets me is that I have found at times the q100s sound really special to me, but then at other times they get a bit harsh. The q150s never get harsh, and do sound well, but I can't say that they have ever felt that same special feeling the q100s have....if that makes sense.
i tend to think the q150's sound better on more material and are easier to listen to.. that's a big qualifier for me.. if i need to keep turning the amp volume down b/cause the speakers are bright , well frankly , i hate that.. i agree on some songs the q100's are great , it's just when it goes the other way.. an idea for you , try the martin logan lx16's .. the phil aa+'s ought to be nice as well.. i really might try them.. i have my heart set on dynaudio emit m10s for my next listen.. if that doesn't work out my next options are aa+'s or another pair of emo's...

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is offline  
post #47 of 79 Old 01-15-2019, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audiofreak38's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,593
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 1060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
i tend to think the q150's sound better on more material and are easier to listen to.. that's a big qualifier for me.. if i need to keep turning the amp volume down b/cause the speakers are bright , well frankly , i hate that.. i agree on some songs the q100's are great , it's just when it goes the other way.. an idea for you , try the martin logan lx16's .. the phil aa+'s ought to be nice as well.. i really might try them.. i have my heart set on dynaudio emit m10s for my next listen.. if that doesn't work out my next options are aa+'s or another pair of emo's...
Lee I found this deal over @AudioMart on the LX16's! (3) LX16's for only $300!


https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/...-logan-lx-16s/


Just thought that it might interest you.


Cheers,

Phil
Lp85253 likes this.
audiofreak38 is offline  
post #48 of 79 Old 01-15-2019, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4,032
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1930 Post(s)
Liked: 1645
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofreak38 View Post
Lee I found this deal over @AudioMart on the LX16's! (3) LX16's for only $300!


https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/...-logan-lx-16s/


Just thought that it might interest you.


Cheers,

Phil
thanks , yes that is very interesting ...
audiofreak38 likes this.

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is offline  
post #49 of 79 Old 01-15-2019, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe Doe View Post
I never owned the Q150s, but used to own the Q100s and had a more or less similar opinion. Sometimes they'd sound really nice, A/B against another pair of speakers with the right song, and immediately I'd think the Q100s were superior. But against a different song, not quite so much...

I noticed the harshness with just HT, at normal volumes, so it didn't take a rare song or blasting away to become bothersome after a while. But then again, I think my room and avr (no audyssey) weren't doing it any favors either.

I expect you tried this, but for the Q150s, have you simply tried using EQ (or simply boosting treble) to add some missing detail at lower volumes? I realize it's not as simple as that, but just wondering if it helped at all.
I don't have any issues with HT and the q100s. In fact, they really do shine there. But I listen to a lot more music than HT. I have also played (and continue to play) with the bass, treble, enhancer option, bass boost, and other setting on my Yamaha amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergiliusm View Post
Yes, I do know what you mean. I replaced my Q100s up front with a similar sized speaker that better handles a wider variety of material to my tastes, and can handle more power for movies, but I sometimes miss their special, unique sound for certain acoustic performances and natural instruments.
You really hit the nail on the head there. Acoustic performances and some live performances as well really do shine with the q100s.
D33vious is online now  
post #50 of 79 Old 01-15-2019, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4,032
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1930 Post(s)
Liked: 1645
Quote:
Originally Posted by D33vious View Post
I don't have any issues with HT and the q100s. In fact, they really do shine there. But I listen to a lot more music than HT. I have also played (and continue to play) with the bass, treble, enhancer option, bass boost, and other setting on my Yamaha amp.



You really hit the nail on the head there. Acoustic performances and some live performances as well really do shine with the q100s.
funny that you say that about acoustic music.. the b1s , imo, are a bit better with acoustic music , but it might just be me...

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is offline  
post #51 of 79 Old 01-16-2019, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
i tend to think the q150's sound better on more material and are easier to listen to.. that's a big qualifier for me.. if i need to keep turning the amp volume down b/cause the speakers are bright , well frankly , i hate that.. i agree on some songs the q100's are great , it's just when it goes the other way.. an idea for you , try the martin logan lx16's .. the phil aa+'s ought to be nice as well.. i really might try them.. i have my heart set on dynaudio emit m10s for my next listen.. if that doesn't work out my next options are aa+'s or another pair of emo's...
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofreak38 View Post
Lee I found this deal over @AudioMart on the LX16's! (3) LX16's for only $300!


https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/...-logan-lx-16s/


Just thought that it might interest you.


Cheers,

Phil
What is it about the LX16s that you think I would like?

Audiofreak...I have never bought from that site. i take it they are trustworthy? My biggest worry is there is no pics or mention of what shape the speakers are in...at least that I could see.
D33vious is online now  
post #52 of 79 Old 01-16-2019, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audiofreak38's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,593
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 1060
Quote:
Originally Posted by D33vious View Post
What is it about the LX16s that you think I would like?

Audiofreak...I have never bought from that site. i take it they are trustworthy? My biggest worry is there is no pics or mention of what shape the speakers are in...at least that I could see.
I was mentioning the deal to Lee that was posted on Audio Mart. That is a really good price for (3) of the LX16's. Other than that, I know very little about them. Have never heard a ML speaker. But, do hope to some day. BTW, I have bought used gear from Audio Mart w/o any issues whatsoever. Have even sold some of my gear there as well. Really appreciate you taking the time to do the comparison. It looks like the Q150's would be much more to my liking. Just might have to try them myself when my funds are better.


Cheers,

Phil
audiofreak38 is offline  
post #53 of 79 Old 01-16-2019, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 18,396
Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8576 Post(s)
Liked: 5775
Quote:
Originally Posted by D33vious View Post
What is it about the LX16s that you think I would like?

Audiofreak...I have never bought from that site. i take it they are trustworthy? My biggest worry is there is no pics or mention of what shape the speakers are in...at least that I could see.
The ad does indeed mention the condition and there are photos too.

Mint condition less than 1 year old, i have original boxes and grills

Those were originally $798/pair and I got mine for $398/pair and they are worth every penny.

Obviously they need a sub but in a Comparison between the LX16s, Q Acoustics Concept 20s and my old B&W CM1 Concept 90, ($1500/pair in today's money), the LX16s won that shootout by a tiny hair in the detail department on jazz, acoustic, classical and vocals.

They are excellent well built great sounding speakers with a very inert cabinet.

At $100 each they are well beyond a stone cold bargain; you could easily turn around and sell them for $150 each assuming they are as described.
Lp85253 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #54 of 79 Old 01-16-2019, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4,032
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1930 Post(s)
Liked: 1645
Quote:
Originally Posted by D33vious View Post
What is it about the LX16s that you think I would like?

Audiofreak...I have never bought from that site. i take it they are trustworthy? My biggest worry is there is no pics or mention of what shape the speakers are in...at least that I could see.
the lx 16 are very similar to the emo b1's (same tweeter) and the same sized mid cone..

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is offline  
post #55 of 79 Old 01-16-2019, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 18,396
Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8576 Post(s)
Liked: 5775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
the lx 16 are very similar to the emo b1's (same tweeter) and the same sized mid cone..
Actually it has a larger AMT than the Emotiva and a more rigid cabinet with none of the breakup at loud volumes issues.
Lp85253 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #56 of 79 Old 01-16-2019, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4,032
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1930 Post(s)
Liked: 1645
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Actually it has a larger AMT than the Emotiva and a more rigid cabinet with none of the breakup at loud volumes issues.
i would think they(lx 16) may be slightly more adept at high volume.. my experience listening at moderate volume leads me to believe that they are very similar sound wise...

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is offline  
post #57 of 79 Old 01-16-2019, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 18,396
Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8576 Post(s)
Liked: 5775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
i would think they(lx 16) may be slightly more adept at high volume.. my experience listening at moderate volume leads me to believe that they are very similar sound wise...
At 100 bucks apiece on Audiogon they are a steal!

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #58 of 79 Old 01-16-2019, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4,032
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1930 Post(s)
Liked: 1645
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
At 100 bucks apiece on Audiogon they are a steal!
yes they are .. i am seriously thinking about them as my "2nd" set.. i only worry about the mids, my room may not be as nice to them as yours is , and the mids in the b1 are full in either of my rooms , they have a bump in FR from 800-1200 hz (measured by a reliable source).. the b1s are spl limited only in cab resonance i think, the artifact i hear most at hi volume is a "boxy " sound .. the tweeter doesn't break , imo... i think the artifact comes from the box itself , idk for sure though...

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is offline  
post #59 of 79 Old 01-16-2019, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 233
I went back and see the pics now and missed that comment..lol. Too bad they are marked as SOLD now. Which one of you jumped?
D33vious is online now  
post #60 of 79 Old 01-16-2019, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4,032
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1930 Post(s)
Liked: 1645
Quote:
Originally Posted by D33vious View Post
I went back and see the pics now and missed that comment..lol. Too bad they are marked as SOLD now. Which one of you jumped?
not me , i am still debating

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off