Kef q100 vs q150 comparison - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 68Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 79 Old 01-16-2019, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audiofreak38's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,592
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 1059
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
At 100 bucks apiece on Audiogon they are a steal!
Audiogon? Did you mean AudioMart? BTW, I just checked my link regarding the LX16's and it is marked as sold. That has to be one of the best deals I have seen in a very long time.


Cheers,

Phil
audiofreak38 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 79 Old 01-16-2019, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audiofreak38's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,592
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 1059
Quote:
Originally Posted by D33vious View Post
I went back and see the pics now and missed that comment..lol. Too bad they are marked as SOLD now. Which one of you jumped?
I was wondering if you had bought them. Whomever did got a deal of all deals inmho. AudioMart has deals all of the time. Highly recommend them.


Cheers,

Phil

Last edited by audiofreak38; 01-16-2019 at 04:22 PM.
audiofreak38 is offline  
post #63 of 79 Old 01-16-2019, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 4,752
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2574 Post(s)
Liked: 1196
If Lp85253 didn't want them, I was considering getting them. Figured I'd wait until he made a decision, and I see they got grabbed up by someone else.

Kind of like the slickdeals effect ... once a deal is known, it doesn't last very long.
Lp85253 likes this.
Doe Doe is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #64 of 79 Old 01-16-2019, 06:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audiofreak38's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,592
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 1059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe Doe View Post
If Lp85253 didn't want them, I was considering getting them. Figured I'd wait until he made a decision, and I see they got grabbed up by someone else.

Kind of like the slickdeals effect ... once a deal is known, it doesn't last very long.
Especially, deals like that. I knew it wasn't going to last very long at that price. I just bought some new gear myself or I would have jumped on it. Actually seen the ad over last weekend. AudioMart has deals like that all of the time.


Cheers,

Phil
audiofreak38 is offline  
post #65 of 79 Old 01-16-2019, 06:26 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,141
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2962 Post(s)
Liked: 2874
Quote:
Originally Posted by D33vious View Post
I went back and see the pics now and missed that comment..lol. Too bad they are marked as SOLD now. Which one of you jumped?
I would also look at the Paradigm Monitor SE Atom
https://www.amazon.com/Paradigm-Moni...onitor+se+atom
Lp85253 likes this.

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is offline  
post #66 of 79 Old 01-17-2019, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 18,389
Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8573 Post(s)
Liked: 5771
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
I would also look at the Paradigm Monitor SE Atom
https://www.amazon.com/Paradigm-Moni...onitor+se+atom
I was wondering where you could get Paradigms in the US.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #67 of 79 Old 01-17-2019, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4,025
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1926 Post(s)
Liked: 1643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe Doe View Post
If Lp85253 didn't want them, I was considering getting them. Figured I'd wait until he made a decision, and I see they got grabbed up by someone else.

Kind of like the slickdeals effect ... once a deal is known, it doesn't last very long.
it crossed my mind that it was the deal i might like .. but i had about 15 mins to think about it b4 they got grabbed up.. oh well , worse comes to worse , there are still lots of good options
audiofreak38 likes this.

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is offline  
post #68 of 79 Old 01-17-2019, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audiofreak38's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,592
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 1059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
it crossed my mind that it was the deal i might like .. but i had about 15 mins to think about it b4 they got grabbed up.. oh well , worse comes to worse , there are still lots of good options
Lee I agree. AudioMart has good deals all of the time. Have bought gear from there, as well as, sell some of mine. Really don't like the way Audiogon has their website setup. Plus, AudioMart is free to place a classifieds ad whereas Audiogon is not. I check AudioMart every single day. Mainly just for kicks and giggles.


Cheers,

Phil
Lp85253 likes this.
audiofreak38 is offline  
post #69 of 79 Old 01-17-2019, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4,025
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1926 Post(s)
Liked: 1643
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofreak38 View Post
Lee I agree. AudioMart has good deals all of the time. Have bought gear from there, as well as, sell some of mine. Really don't like the way Audiogon has their website setup. Plus, AudioMart is free to place a classifieds ad whereas Audiogon is not. I check AudioMart every single day. Mainly just for kicks and giggles.


Cheers,

Phil
i may start doing that as routine ..
audiofreak38 and spinnin like this.

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is offline  
post #70 of 79 Old 02-05-2019, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Posted some updated thoughts in the original post.
Lp85253 likes this.
D33vious is online now  
post #71 of 79 Old 02-05-2019, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4,025
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1926 Post(s)
Liked: 1643
Quote:
Originally Posted by D33vious View Post
Posted some updated thoughts in the original post.
thanks for the update .. i look forward to any more you may post..

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is offline  
post #72 of 79 Old 02-05-2019, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
thanks for the update .. i look forward to any more you may post..
Thanks. I suppose what I should do next is start comparing the kefs to the wharfedale 10.1s and RBH R5bi's I still have lying around..... not really ready to do that right now, but maybe I'll get around to that. I'm guessing if I compared all of them then I would better see how similar the 2 kef speakers are. We'll see if that ever happens. It would be much easier if one of you guys lived nearby and we made a day of comparing...lol
Lp85253 likes this.
D33vious is online now  
post #73 of 79 Old 02-05-2019, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4,025
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1926 Post(s)
Liked: 1643
Quote:
Originally Posted by D33vious View Post
Thanks. I suppose what I should do next is start comparing the kefs to the wharfedale 10.1s and RBH R5bi's I still have lying around..... not really ready to do that right now, but maybe I'll get around to that. I'm guessing if I compared all of them then I would better see how similar the 2 kef speakers are. We'll see if that ever happens. It would be much easier if one of you guys lived nearby and we made a day of comparing...lol
i would be interested in a 10.1 vs q150 a/b..it seems like a natural step with both being on the less aggressive side of presentation..EDIT: i guess you can figure this without my actually saying it at this point , i like the 10'1s better than the q100's.. of course , in a bigger room that might change...

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in

Last edited by Lp85253; 02-05-2019 at 04:20 PM.
Lp85253 is offline  
post #74 of 79 Old 02-05-2019, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
djp2k7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 641
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
I would also look at the Paradigm Monitor SE Atom
https://www.amazon.com/Paradigm-Moni...onitor+se+atom
My god those are ugly. I thought the SE model was a step up from the Atom/Mini-Monitor/Monitor line. Am I thinking of something else?

EDIT - my bad, it was the SE 1 I was thinking of
https://www.paradigm.com/en/passive/se-1

Last edited by djp2k7; 02-05-2019 at 05:25 PM.
djp2k7 is offline  
post #75 of 79 Old 02-05-2019, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,141
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2962 Post(s)
Liked: 2874
Quote:
Originally Posted by djp2k7 View Post
My god those are ugly. I thought the SE model was a step up from the Atom/Mini-Monitor/Monitor line. Am I thinking of something else?
They look better than the Emotiva to me -- Paradigm awhile back dropped their performance series and upgraded the Atom and Titan to be part of the so-called Monitor series. The current Atom was modded from an earlier Monitor Atom in the appearance and cabinet finish so that they could drop the price $100
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	paradigm_0.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	2520826  
djp2k7 likes this.

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is offline  
post #76 of 79 Old 02-05-2019, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
l0nestar8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 923
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 677
About the bass differences between the Q100 and Q150, I just want to give a little more background on that since I don't think I ever went into the specifics:

I did find them to be mostly the same, but that was only after I arranged the ports to be the same distance from the rear wall. In other words, I moved the Q100 (being front-ported) about 12 inches back towards the rear wall so that the ports lined up with the rear ports of the Q150s.

At that point, they were "basically' the same. However, I wasn't A/Bing them like you have been doing. Being rear ported, the Q150s will always have less bass cancellations, in general, so even when the ports are lined up, I'd imagine the Q150 to have more bass. I think your observations are spot on, I just wanted to provide some more context and offer a clarification.

I'm really glad you are enjoying both. IMO, they are different enough to justify keeping both as they excel in different areas.

Speakers: M040 | M16 | LS50 | Reva-2| BM5 mk3 | X18 | X14
Sub: VTF-2 mk5
Amps: HK 3490 | TSR-7810

Last edited by l0nestar8; 02-06-2019 at 11:06 AM.
l0nestar8 is offline  
post #77 of 79 Old 02-05-2019, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
i would be interested in a 10.1 vs q150 a/b..it seems like a natural step with both being on the less aggressive side of presentation..EDIT: i guess you can figure this without my actually saying it at this point , i like the 10'1s better than the q100's.. of course , in a bigger room that might change...
I might do that. The 10.1s have been sitting since the q150s arrived, so its about time to give them another try. I really did like them when I was testing them out. They just didn't have enough top end for my liking.

Definitely an interesting point on the room size. Mine is quite the opposite of yours. It is a rather large rectangular basement room which is carpeted, so that probably is a strong factor in my impressions as well. The upstairs space is a much larger open space with hardwood floors, so I'd bet the q100s sound a bit more bright up there. I don't know why I've never tried any other speakers up there than the old Infinity p363 towers that I've had for many years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l0nestar8 View Post
About the bass differences between the Q100 and Q150, I just to give a little more background on that since I don't think I ever went into the specifics:

I did find them to be mostly the same, but that was only after I arranged the ports to be the same distance from the rear wall. In other words, I moved the Q100 (being front-ported) about 12 inches back towards the rear wall so that the ports lined up with the rear ports of the Q150s.

At that point, they were "basically' the same. However, I wasn't A/Bing them like you have been doing. Being rear ported, the Q150s will always have less bass cancellations, in general, so even when the ports are lined up, I'd imagine the Q150 to have more bass. I think your observations are spot on, I just wanted to provide some more context and offer a clarification.

I'm really glad you are enjoying both. IMO, they are different enough to justify keeping both as they excel in different areas.
I will say that sometimes I do feel like something is missing with the q150s, but that feeling is kinda hit and miss, and I just can't quite place what it is. I have gone back and forth with them in 2.0 in my large room, and I really do like them in that setup. That is why I kept them...the office will be a zone 2 with no sub. They should work great there, unless I change my mind and put them in the main system.

I take it you never got your Phil AA+'s either, huh? Shame on both of us I guess. But at least you have the originals. Let me know if you ever decide to let go of those!
Lp85253 likes this.
D33vious is online now  
post #78 of 79 Old 02-06-2019, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4,025
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1926 Post(s)
Liked: 1643
Quote:
Originally Posted by D33vious View Post
I might do that. The 10.1s have been sitting since the q150s arrived, so its about time to give them another try. I really did like them when I was testing them out. They just didn't have enough top end for my liking.

Definitely an interesting point on the room size. Mine is quite the opposite of yours. It is a rather large rectangular basement room which is carpeted, so that probably is a strong factor in my impressions as well. The upstairs space is a much larger open space with hardwood floors, so I'd bet the q100s sound a bit more bright up there. I don't know why I've never tried any other speakers up there than the old Infinity p363 towers that I've had for many years.



I will say that sometimes I do feel like something is missing with the q150s, but that feeling is kinda hit and miss, and I just can't quite place what it is. I have gone back and forth with them in 2.0 in my large room, and I really do like them in that setup. That is why I kept them...the office will be a zone 2 with no sub. They should work great there, unless I change my mind and put them in the main system.

I take it you never got your Phil AA+'s either, huh? Shame on both of us I guess. But at least you have the originals. Let me know if you ever decide to let go of those!
make sure you try the 10.1s with grills off and just a bit toed in at very near ear level.. i found that i finally got the top end "dialed in" , they aren't as rolled off , but they tend to be "treble out front" on a few songs that way..

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is offline  
post #79 of 79 Old 02-06-2019, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member
 
l0nestar8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 923
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 677
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33vious View Post
I take it you never got your Phil AA+'s either, huh? Shame on both of us I guess. But at least you have the originals. Let me know if you ever decide to let go of those!
Really bad timing on my part. I let my AA's go to a very kind member here on AVS right when Dennis announced that he would be getting more Morel tweeters in January. Well, as we all know, the AA+'s were discontinued a few weeks back. I was looking forward to that new tweeter and crossover, but alas, twas not to be.

So I no longer have them and have been auditioning replacements.
gajCA likes this.

Speakers: M040 | M16 | LS50 | Reva-2| BM5 mk3 | X18 | X14
Sub: VTF-2 mk5
Amps: HK 3490 | TSR-7810

Last edited by l0nestar8; 02-06-2019 at 11:25 AM.
l0nestar8 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off