Blue Jeans Speaker Wire - 12awg - issues - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Rex Anderson
  • 1 Post By Jonas2

post #1 of 12 Old 12-13-2018, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Blue Jeans Speaker Wire - 12awg - issues

I'm curious if anyone else has experienced the same issues I have with their BJC speaker wires. I'm finding it incredibly difficult the strip the wires. I have 3 different wire strippers ranging from the basic "every man should have" version to a pretty nice set of Milwaukee electricians pliers. If I use the 12awg slot on any of the wire strippers, it shaves just a little of the insulation off - doesn't come close to removing it. It seems the gauge of the speaker wire is slightly less than 12awg. So I bump it down to the 14awg slot. That will slice the insulation, but I cannot slide the insulation off - not enough clearance around the copper strands. So then I bump back up to the 12awg slot to try and pull the insulation off. It's taking a tremendous amount of force to do this. In essence what's happening is for every wire I'm stripping, I'm just pealing the insulation back until enough has come off where I can pull it off with my pliers.

To put it in perspective, I had to strip 9 speaker wires, so that's a total of 36 strips, it took me almost 2 hours to do this. I grabbed a set of Monoprice speaker wire thats 14awg just to make sure there's nothing wrong with my wire strippers, and was able to cleanly and efficiently strip those wires with not problem. The biggest difference I see between the BJC wires and Monoprice is that when I strip (finally) the BJC wires, all the strands are very tightly twisted - almost like a solid core wire. The Monoprice speaker wire is what you expect from speaker wire, the strands are all frayed and you have to give them a quick twist after stripping.

Is this just the nature of the beast because of how the BJC wires are twisted so tightly, causing the insulation not to slide off as easily? I can't imagine these speaker wires would be as commonly used as they are if they're this difficult to strip. I just don't know if there's a manufacturing defect with the wire, or if I'm doing something wrong, or if this is just something I need to live with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-13-2018, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1356 Post(s)
Liked: 1594
Use a single edge razor blade.
VTENGR likes this.
post #3 of 12 Old 12-13-2018, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Anderson View Post
Use a single edge razor blade.
And just shave off one side to make it easy to peal off? I will certainly try that. Thanks for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 12-13-2018, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
And just shave off one side to make it easy to peal off? I will certainly try that. Thanks for your input.

Make a complete circular cut all the way around the outer jacket. Be careful to not nick any copper strands.

Using a wire stripper can be difficult until you get the hang of not using to much force/pressure as you cut into the jacket. Just practice on cheap cable and be cautious when you use it on the good stuff!

post #5 of 12 Old 12-13-2018, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Anderson View Post
Make a complete circular cut all the way around the outer jacket. Be careful to not nick any copper strands.

Using a wire stripper can be difficult until you get the hang of not using to much force/pressure as you cut into the jacket. Just practice on cheap cable and be cautious when you use it on the good stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR-hz1p0Guo
Yeah, the issue I'm having mostly is not necessary cutting the insulation. It's removing it after it's been cut.
post #6 of 12 Old 12-13-2018, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Practice makes perfect....
post #7 of 12 Old 12-13-2018, 12:04 PM
Rise & Grind

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
I'm curious if anyone else has experienced the same issues I have with their BJC speaker wires. I'm finding it incredibly difficult the strip the wires. I have 3 different wire strippers ranging from the basic "every man should have" version to a pretty nice set of Milwaukee electricians pliers. If I use the 12awg slot on any of the wire strippers, it shaves just a little of the insulation off - doesn't come close to removing it. It seems the gauge of the speaker wire is slightly less than 12awg. So I bump it down to the 14awg slot. That will slice the insulation, but I cannot slide the insulation off - not enough clearance around the copper strands. So then I bump back up to the 12awg slot to try and pull the insulation off. It's taking a tremendous amount of force to do this. In essence what's happening is for every wire I'm stripping, I'm just pealing the insulation back until enough has come off where I can pull it off with my pliers.

To put it in perspective, I had to strip 9 speaker wires, so that's a total of 36 strips, it took me almost 2 hours to do this. I grabbed a set of Monoprice speaker wire thats 14awg just to make sure there's nothing wrong with my wire strippers, and was able to cleanly and efficiently strip those wires with not problem. The biggest difference I see between the BJC wires and Monoprice is that when I strip (finally) the BJC wires, all the strands are very tightly twisted - almost like a solid core wire. The Monoprice speaker wire is what you expect from speaker wire, the strands are all frayed and you have to give them a quick twist after stripping.

Is this just the nature of the beast because of how the BJC wires are twisted so tightly, causing the insulation not to slide off as easily? I can't imagine these speaker wires would be as commonly used as they are if they're this difficult to strip. I just don't know if there's a manufacturing defect with the wire, or if I'm doing something wrong, or if this is just something I need to live with.

I had a very similar experience with 12awg wire. Same as you 14awg smooth sailing. 12 - nightmare. I found the best way was to score the outer insulation with a utility knife and peel it back first. I actually look at the inside of insulation and make my score in a spot between the wires. Then use the strippers to strip the individual wires per normal. Like you...it took quite a bit of trial, error, and frustration to finally come to that method!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trinnov Altitude 16, Magico A3, Magico ACC, Magico A1s, Dual Rythmik FV25HP
Amps- ATI AT523NC, AT524NC, AT528NC
Kaleidescape Terra Server/Strato, Oppo UDP-203, Apple TV4k, XFinity X1
Sony VPL-VW5000, 136" 2.35:1 Stewart Studiotek 100 screen, Lumagen Pro 4242
post #8 of 12 Old 12-13-2018, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinamigym View Post
I had a very similar experience with 12awg wire. Same as you 14awg smooth sailing. 12 - nightmare. I found the best way was to score the outer insulation with a utility knife and peel it back first. I actually look at the inside of insulation and make my score in a spot between the wires. Then use the strippers to strip the individual wires per normal. Like you...it took quite a bit of trial, error, and frustration to finally come to that method!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply, but the issue I'm having is the stripping of the individual wires. I score the outer sleeve, bend it a few times and can pull that off no problem - have done this hundreds of times. Then I have the black and red wire exposed. I try to use the 12awg to strip, but that doesn't work b/c the wire is too small even though it's clearly labeled 12awg. Then I use the 14awg to score the insulation. From there is where things go down hill very quickly because even though I know I have a clean cut in the insulation (I can see the bare copper), I can't for the life of pull it off the wire. I'm having to use so much force that I'm worried the wire might break. I've stripped hundreds of wires before now and have never had this difficulty.
post #9 of 12 Old 12-13-2018, 12:33 PM
Rise & Grind

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, but the issue I'm having is the stripping of the individual wires. I score the outer sleeve, bend it a few times and can pull that off no problem - have done this hundreds of times. Then I have the black and red wire exposed. I try to use the 12awg to strip, but that doesn't work b/c the wire is too small even though it's clearly labeled 12awg. Then I use the 14awg to score the insulation. From there is where things go down hill very quickly because even though I know I have a clean cut in the insulation (I can see the bare copper), I can't for the life of pull it off the wire. I'm having to use so much force that I'm worried the wire might break. I've stripped hundreds of wires before now and have never had this difficulty.

My Strippers have two options for 12awg wire stranded or solid. I have to make sure I use the stranded option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

post #10 of 12 Old 12-13-2018, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinamigym View Post
My Strippers have two options for 12awg wire stranded or solid. I have to make sure I use the stranded option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yep. Mine are the same way, but again, I can cut the insulation. I'm just having a very difficult time pulling it off after it's cut. Was just wondering if I'm the only one to experience this.
post #11 of 12 Old 12-13-2018, 12:44 PM
Rise & Grind

Quote:
Yep. Mine are the same way, but again, I can cut the insulation. I'm just having a very difficult time pulling it off after it's cut. Was just wondering if I'm the only one to experience this.

Based on my experience nothing about 12awg stripping made sense. I thought it was just me or it was because I bought a heavy insulated version. It’s like it’s a completely different material compared to 14.

post #12 of 12 Old 12-13-2018, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 3239 Post(s)
Liked: 2164
This is the tool I have:

https://www.amazon.com/IDEAL-45-092-...8W9ZS7GZB7B9P2

Has worked flawlessly for me on Belden (from BJC) 10AWG, Knuconceptz 10 and 12AWG, Monoprice 12AWG, and various sizes of automotive wires....
dinamigym likes this.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page