Sorry, another building on a budget thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #1 of 31 Old 12-15-2018, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sorry, another building on a budget thread

Hi,

I've been looking here a long time, never had to ask a question though. Long story short: got divorced, gave up a lot of my stuff just to get it over with (worth it, btw) I'm here a year later rebuilding in my new place. Was gifted a Vizio 65" 1080p which is fine for now, need sound. Living room is 17d x 28w x 8h left & vaulted to 11h right. The viewing area is 18' wide. MLP is center of tv 12' away. Pretty sure I'm set on something like a Denon AVR-S730 for 5.1 with the option of adding Atmos height/ceiling bounce in the near future. Completely open to other AVR suggestions in that price range. I can make a wire go anywhere I've ever wanted but just not worth it here for in-ceiling, there's no access & I'm burnt out on modding this house. My hangup is speakers. I have an older sony 12" powered sub that sounds ok but I'm getting lost in the research & reviews on the other speakers. I'm considering the following :

Dayton AIRs or MK series
Pioneer 52 series
BIC Venturi
Fluance
Polk T series

There seems to be enough crappy reviews on each of these to make me wonder. A lot of reviews say "there are better for less" but they often don't say names/models. I don't mind modding, I'm an avionics technician by trade & built/repaired a ton of tube guitar amps, I'm not scared to dig in & make them better but I don't have that kind of test equipment, just O-scope & multimeter. Need suggestions on the above or similar. I'll probably add a dayton or BIC 12" sub to whatever I get.

-Let's say around $400 without sub
-want near movie theater loudness
-90% movies/tv/games 10% music
-I have no idea if I need bookshelves or towers for mains
-I feel like I want dipole/bipole surrounds due to room layout but not sure if it's worth it for the budget
-i intend to play with cheapie up firing speakers to see if Atmos is worth it
-I want once & done, please no recs to go 2.1 & save up. It's ok if not perfect, just want the best this budget can get me.

Sorry for long-windedness. Tried to capture all necessary details to get help. I never ask for help but this isn't my area of expertise. I research the hell out of everything, it led to a mental shutdown in this case. Please help.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 12-15-2018, 09:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 3488 Post(s)
Liked: 1970
research elac speakers and/or andrew jones pioneer

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #3 of 31 Old 12-15-2018, 09:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 2664 Post(s)
Liked: 2469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdjohnson20 View Post
Hi,

I've been looking here a long time, never had to ask a question though. Long story short: got divorced, gave up a lot of my stuff just to get it over with (worth it, btw) I'm here a year later rebuilding in my new place. Was gifted a Vizio 65" 1080p which is fine for now, need sound. Living room is 17d x 28w x 8h left & vaulted to 11h right. The viewing area is 18' wide. MLP is center of tv 12' away. Pretty sure I'm set on something like a Denon AVR-S730 for 5.1 with the option of adding Atmos height/ceiling bounce in the near future. Completely open to other AVR suggestions in that price range. I can make a wire go anywhere I've ever wanted but just not worth it here for in-ceiling, there's no access & I'm burnt out on modding this house. My hangup is speakers. I have an older sony 12" powered sub that sounds ok but I'm getting lost in the research & reviews on the other speakers. I'm considering the following :

Dayton AIRs or MK series
Pioneer 52 series
BIC Venturi
Fluance
Polk T series

There seems to be enough crappy reviews on each of these to make me wonder. A lot of reviews say "there are better for less" but they often don't say names/models. I don't mind modding, I'm an avionics technician by trade & built/repaired a ton of tube guitar amps, I'm not scared to dig in & make them better but I don't have that kind of test equipment, just O-scope & multimeter. Need suggestions on the above or similar. I'll probably add a dayton or BIC 12" sub to whatever I get.

-I feel like I want dipole/bipole surrounds due to room layout but not sure if it's worth it for the budget
-I want once & done, please no recs to go 2.1 & save up. It's ok if not perfect, just want the best this budget can get me.

Sorry for long-windedness. Tried to capture all necessary details to get help. I never ask for help but this isn't my area of expertise. I research the hell out of everything, it led to a mental shutdown in this case. Please help.

Steve

First off, congrats on the divorce. I know for some people a divorce is a true blessing. Now on your situation.....Atmos "bounce" speakers really won't work well with your slanted ceiling, particularly left to right across the listening area, so I would scratch that. If I'm understanding this correctly, you have a budget of $400 for 5 speakers and a receiver? If that's the case, I would probably consider saving up a bit more, as that is a shoe-string budget to get a system up and running. If the Sony Core SS-CS5 speakers were to go on sale for $75/pair again, that would be the way to go, but I'm not sure they will go half off again. The Polk Signature speakers are currently on sale, but even at their sale prices they won't be within your current budget. For a receiver, there are some decent options for less than $300.

EDIT: starting tomorrow, the Pioneer SS-BS22-LR bookshelf speakers will be $58/pair/shipped at frys.com w/promo code.

Subs>RBH I-12e, I-12. HSU VTF-15H mk2. Monolith THX 12(x2)/THX 10(x2). XTZ 1X12. SVS PB-1000(x2). Speakers>JBL Studio 270/235c/230/225c, Arena 130/125c. Sony CS3/CS8/CS5. QA 3020i/3090Ci, 2020i/2000c. Monolith Cinema 5bs. Polk RTiA1/CSiA4. Other Audio>Sony MDR-Z7m2, MDR-V6, XB900n, XB700, XB32, XB31. Sennheiser HD58X, HD4.50, PC37X. Philips SHP9500. SIVGA SV004. HyperX Cloud PS4. TB Stealth300. LG FH6,RK8,RK7,PK5. HK Onyx Studio4(x2).

Last edited by MIX_MASTER_ICE; 12-15-2018 at 09:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 12-15-2018, 09:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

https://www.amazon.com/ELAC-Debut-Bo...&keywords=elac

post #5 of 31 Old 12-15-2018, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the congrats. Getting my life back is nice. Anyway,

Budget is 400 just for speakers. Sub(s) & receiver on their own budget.

Will bookshelves be enough? I know most theater stuff goes through the center so it seems to me that front l&r wouldn't be any more relevant that the rear surrounds right? I guess the thought of towers just makes me feel good. My better judgement says skip them & go with decent books all the way around.

ELACs come up a lot. Which specific models?

I generally like pioneer. I've done a lot of mid to high complexity car audio with them, never disappointed. Like fishing with a lure you have faith in I suppose.

I'll bite the bullet if Atmos doesn't work for my situation. I'll send those 2 channels outside if it doesn't work out. I gotta try it though. Maybe high wall mount?

Keep the suggestions coming please & thank you.
post #6 of 31 Old 12-15-2018, 10:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7090 Post(s)
Liked: 5396
Quote:
Dayton AIRs or MK series
Pioneer 52 series
BIC Venturi
Fluance
Polk T series

There seems to be enough crappy reviews on each of these to make me wonder.

5 speakers with "near movie theater loudness" (which means 85db and up SPL) for $400 ain't gonna happen unless you get crappy-loud party speakers like Cerwin Vega or MTX. Especially with "cheapie upfiring speakers."

Your best buy for QUALITY speakers would be 3 x NHT SuperOnes for LCR + 2 x NHT SuperZeros for surrounds, off Amazon for $430 shipped.

Otherwise if you want sheer volume but a bit on the "bright" side and not much bass, the BIC FH6-LCR for your front 3 at $330 plus a pair of the T15 for surrounds for another $60. The BICs are also availabe from Walmart if you want the easiest return option:
https://www.amazon.com/BF31-B1-Speak...K035YXJ9R49JPS
unretarded likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #7 of 31 Old 12-15-2018, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Okay. I had a feeling my goal with the volume was a little far fetched. Maybe something that would go "louder than necessary" without farting out would be better terminology.

The cheapie Atmos speakers not included in budget either. I'm thinking just something on long loose cables I can keep moving around to see if I fall in love with the effect enough to do the work to make it happen for real.

I guess right now I'm looking at the Pioneer AJ's and Elacs. At least comparing two is easier than sorting through the whole gamut. Nothing on the Daytons yet huh? I had hoped they would be a serious contender. I'm a fan of the niche they decided to fill with those.

Keep em coming. At least I can hone my expectations and get more specific about what I'm looking for. Sorry, I'm decent with audio stuff but not in the home theater realm. Thanks all
post #8 of 31 Old 12-15-2018, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

@zorba , your link was just for speaker stands.

I'm looking into the NHTs as well.

Not looking for "sheer volume" either. I have some hearing loss from working around jets for 20 years so subtle nuances might get lost on me but I guess I'd prioritize respectable sound over volume. Not looking to win awards here and my expectations are tempered accordingly for my budget.
post #9 of 31 Old 12-16-2018, 01:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2626 Post(s)
Liked: 1221
Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post

That's a good option

Elac B6.2 $150
Elac C6.2 $140

Get at Best Buy. If the OP doesn't like them, easy to return. Go with Daytons or Cores as surrounds. If it's less than $400, use the extra on the sub.

I also see Cores on sale at $75/set again. Could also do:

2x sets of Cores $150
Emotiva C1 $250
MIX_MASTER_ICE and Lp85253 like this.

Last edited by Doe Doe; 12-16-2018 at 01:44 AM.
post #10 of 31 Old 12-16-2018, 02:24 AM

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3037 Post(s)
Liked: 2945
Boston A25 -- add 5 to the cart, and it comes to around $385 shipped -- use one as your center -- hard to trump the Boston at this price
https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...ck-each/1.html
Lp85253 and Dargent0628 like this.

----------------
Who AM I
post #11 of 31 Old 12-16-2018, 05:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Perfect timing, as Doe Doe noted the Sony Cores just went on sale for half off at Amazon and Best Buy. This makes for an easy choice in my book, plus even allows for towers with the $400 budget. The SSCS3 towers are $98/each and the SSCS5 bookshelf speakers are $73/pair. If you have the vertical space, you could run a SSCS3 bookshelf as the center channel, a pair of them as surrounds and a pair of the SSCS3 towers for a total of $342. If you already have some stands and want to pay even less, substituting a pair of the bookshelf speakers for the towers would total $219. In either scenario, if you didn't have the vertical room for the SSCS5 as a center, the matching SSCS8 center is also the same price as the SSCS5's, $73.

So for as little as $219 ( 3 pair of the SSCS5's), you could be in business with some really outstanding speakers for so little $$. Plus you would even have a spare speaker. You have a really large room for a subwoofer, but working within your budget you would even be able to squeeze in the JBL 550p subwoofer, which is on sale for $189.95. That puts you just under $409, so just a smidge over your $400 budget. That's a good sub for the money. It's not ideal for that large of a room, but to get something really room appropriate you would have to spend quite a bit more.

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-SSCS5-3-...words=sony+cs5

https://www.jbl.com/studio-5-series/SUB+550P.html

Subs>RBH I-12e, I-12. HSU VTF-15H mk2. Monolith THX 12(x2)/THX 10(x2). XTZ 1X12. SVS PB-1000(x2). Speakers>JBL Studio 270/235c/230/225c, Arena 130/125c. Sony CS3/CS8/CS5. QA 3020i/3090Ci, 2020i/2000c. Monolith Cinema 5bs. Polk RTiA1/CSiA4. Other Audio>Sony MDR-Z7m2, MDR-V6, XB900n, XB700, XB32, XB31. Sennheiser HD58X, HD4.50, PC37X. Philips SHP9500. SIVGA SV004. HyperX Cloud PS4. TB Stealth300. LG FH6,RK8,RK7,PK5. HK Onyx Studio4(x2).
post #12 of 31 Old 12-16-2018, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 144
A couple more options:

Polk S15 or S20 bookshelf and S30 center.

Jamo S 803 bookshelf and S 83 center.

As mentioned above, the Elac Debut 2.0 6.5" bookshelf and center are 50% off right now. That's a pretty killer deal.

All are on sale at Amazon or Crutchfield.

These options would be $400 or less for the front 3, and you could add a pair of cheap surrounds like the Dayton MK402.

And as Mix mentioned above, if you could swing for 2 of those JBL subs for less than $400 (not sure what your sub budget is), I don't think you could do better for $400. I have 2 of those JBLs in the large/open unfinished portion of our basement, running a 2.1 system mainly for working out in our home gym in the basement. 2 of those subs won't pressurize your large room (you would need multiple large/costly subs for that), but they do sound good and do not sound distressed at high volume in our large/open unfinished portion of the basement.

Last edited by adam2434; 12-16-2018 at 07:02 AM.
post #13 of 31 Old 12-16-2018, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, after a quick look, all of those look awesome. Sonys look great for the sale price but Elacs seem like maybe they're a little better crafted. I usually gravitate towards obscure stuff most people haven't heard of vs big names. I'll spend the day researching the suggestions. Seems like I can't go wrong with any of those, just need to make sure the Christmas shopping is done, pick one & pull the trigger.

As far as the sub. I plan to use the Sony 12" on hand and add one to it. I'll check out the JBL. I thought BIC & dayton had the market cornered in the under $200 range.

Thanks everyone
post #14 of 31 Old 12-16-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
@zorba , your link was just for speaker stands.

I'm looking into the NHTs as well.

Not looking for "sheer volume" either. I have some hearing loss from working around jets for 20 years so subtle nuances might get lost on me but I guess I'd prioritize respectable sound over volume. Not looking to win awards here and my expectations are tempered accordingly for my budget.
The NHTs are sold on Amazon at those prices, go there and do a search. They actually cost more on the NHT website.

Right now the best bang for your buck are the Sony Core bookshelves; 2 pairs of them plus the Emotiva C1 center would fit your budget of $400 exactly. Just don't blast them, because they are not party speakers.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #15 of 31 Old 12-16-2018, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
You have a really large room for a subwoofer, but working within your budget you would even be able to squeeze in the JBL 550p subwoofer, which is on sale for $189.95.

Which is the better sub, the JBL or Elac?

https://www.amazon.com/Debut-SUB3010...p_ob_title_def

It's also half off again, w/ auto EQ.
post #16 of 31 Old 12-16-2018, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wow, after a quick look, all of those look awesome. Sonys look great for the sale price but Elacs seem like maybe they're a little better crafted. I usually gravitate towards obscure stuff most people haven't heard of vs big names. I'll spend the day researching the suggestions. Seems like I can't go wrong with any of those, just need to make sure the Christmas shopping is done, pick one & pull the trigger.

As far as the sub. I plan to use the Sony 12" on hand and add one to it. I'll check out the JBL. I thought BIC & dayton had the market cornered in the under $200 range.

Thanks everyone
My suggestion would be for you to take a ride over to a Best Buy, if one is near you.

Listen to Sony Core, Elac B6.2/C6.2 and Polk S15-S20/S30. You can pretty much afford any of those (you may need to go cheap w/ surrounds on some). Emotiva center would most likely be the better center than any of the above, but you won't be able to find those locally. You can test out Martin Logans as a stand-in.

Personally I found the Core bookshelves better than the towers, so to me it'd be a waste to spend more for the towers and get a worse experience.

And the Elacs are better built than the Cores. Elacs are more laid back, more bass and fuller. While Cores are a bit more detailed and has a little more 'sparkle'', but they really need a sub w/ them (shouldn't be an issue since you plan on getting a sub). If you plan on loud volumes, the Cores may not be for you... they don't handle that so well. Up to your ears as to which you prefer.

Last edited by Doe Doe; 12-16-2018 at 10:59 AM.
post #17 of 31 Old 12-16-2018, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe Doe View Post
Which is the better sub, the JBL or Elac?

https://www.amazon.com/Debut-SUB3010...p_ob_title_def

It's also half off again, w/ auto EQ.

I had the Elac S10EQ subwoofer, which was the previous model. The EQ option is a nice feature, but not really a must have or the reason to buy it over something similar. Both subs have a nicer, more accurate sound than similar priced ported subs. The JBL 550p will probably have a bit more output, but it's not going to be a large disparity between the two. Between the two, the JBL is a better built and much heavier sub, weighing nearly 20 pounds more than the Elac. Plus the JBL is the least expensive, which could be a factor for someone on a tight budget. Personally, I would opt for the JBL 550P. Now if the OP were to buy the Elac speakers, then it might be nice to have the matching sub to keep things uniform.
Doe Doe likes this.

post #18 of 31 Old 12-16-2018, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

And to confuse the OP even more, I'll throw out another combo to consider:
If he decides he likes the polk signatures, instead of the polk S30 (which is around $200 right now), instead consider this polk center at $250, which would take him to $400 for a front three.

https://www.adorama.com/pkalsim704c....ce=rflaid62905

I haven't heard it myself, just that spec-wise it certainly looks better than the S30 does.

Last edited by Doe Doe; 12-16-2018 at 01:16 PM.
post #19 of 31 Old 12-16-2018, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

towers, buy 1 get 2nd half off...https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...ck-each/1.html

post #20 of 31 Old 12-16-2018, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

I think I like the Sony books x4 plus center, though the 3 way doesn't seem very practical there, nobody really has anything bad to say about them. Elacs look sweet but I'm gathering that sony is a little brighter, which suits my tastes. Most of my hearing damage is about 12-14k & above so bright to most people sounds normal to me, usually.... I think.

Those NHTs looked nice. Now I'm comparing NHT vs Sony. I think that's what I have it narrowed down to. For reasons I can't really quantify, id rather skip polk. Feels like I'll get more for my money elsewhere. Those Boston towers alone would eat my whole budget.

The sub will have to wait. I'll use the one I have to gauge how much more I need from the final selection. It's loud & decent enough to hold me over for a minute. I'll start a new thread when I get there if I can't get the answer from searching.

I'm still open to other suggestions. Ugly and/or obscure doesn't bother me.

Thanks very much to those who contributed so far.
post #21 of 31 Old 12-16-2018, 06:57 PM

Quote:
I think I like the Sony books x4 plus center, though the 3 way doesn't seem very practical there, nobody really has anything bad to say about them. Elacs look sweet but I'm gathering that sony is a little brighter, which suits my tastes. Most of my hearing damage is about 12-14k & above so bright to most people sounds normal to me, usually.... I think.
Those NHTs looked nice. Now I'm comparing NHT vs Sony. I think that's what I have it narrowed down to.
Well, the Sonys look nice from the front with the grilles off, but with them on they look like the kind of chintzy speakers that come with those all-in-one stereo systems from the 1980s. So the NHTs will certainly be more pleasant to look at, they have an elegant semi-glossy finish and a sleek look to them due to their sealed cabinet design (which incidentally allows them to be placed close to the walls if needed, compared to a rear ported design), and they will hold up better under higher volumes. If you can do 3 SuperOnes with the center one vertically aligned with the L/R you would get the acoustic ideal of 3 identical fronts...if not, the 3 way Emotiva center would be totally worth it since the center does 80% of the HT output, so that is actually what you are hearing most of the time during movies/TV.

post #22 of 31 Old 12-17-2018, 04:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Hi,

Dayton AIRs or MK series
Pioneer 52 series
BIC Venturi
Fluance
Polk T series

Steve
Have you thought about DIY? Parts Express has a lot of options. I am using C-note speakers for rear surrounds and they are quite good for the price.
post #23 of 31 Old 12-17-2018, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8964 Post(s)
Liked: 6133
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
I had the Elac S10EQ subwoofer, which was the previous model. The EQ option is a nice feature, but not really a must have or the reason to buy it over something similar. Both subs have a nicer, more accurate sound than similar priced ported subs. The JBL 550p will probably have a bit more output, but it's not going to be a large disparity between the two. Between the two, the JBL is a better built and much heavier sub, weighing nearly 20 pounds more than the Elac. Plus the JBL is the least expensive, which could be a factor for someone on a tight budget. Personally, I would opt for the JBL 550P. Now if the OP were to buy the Elac speakers, then it might be nice to have the matching sub to keep things uniform.
The prior Elac S10EQ achieved 25hz when Sound and Vision tested it. They did find the self EQ quite useful as well and liked the sub.

Other JBL subs that have been tested have shown their specifications for extension are accurate.

Output should be about the same for the Elac with a passive radiator and the JBL which is sealed.

200watts =14w15h15d= 32 lbs 10" [25hz] $225 ELAC DEBUT 2.0 SUB3010, (extension from Sound & Vision review)
NOTE: THIS SUB HAS PHONE APP EQ FOR THE SUB

300watts =18w15h15d= 50 lbs 10" [27hz] $190 JBL SUB 550P (short term promo price JBL)

I believe the JBL is not a Class D amp and uses a standard power supply which are heavy and likely the main difference in weight between the two.

Geoff A. J., California

Last edited by gajCA; 12-17-2018 at 09:38 AM.
post #24 of 31 Old 12-17-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
I believe the JBL is not a Class D amp and uses a standard power supply which are heavy and likely the main difference in weight between the two.
That is a heavy woofer in the JBL and the cabinet is 1 inch MDF
https://forums.audioholics.com/forum...cd60cae8f47a0c

https://forums.audioholics.com/forum...d9566b027b84a0

https://forums.audioholics.com/forum...15093ca83d02cb

----------------
Who AM I
post #25 of 31 Old 12-17-2018, 10:05 AM

Links don't work.

If we bought subs based on weight nobody would buy the 62lb HSU VTF2 over the 72lb Monoprice 10" THX.

Geoff A. J., California
post #26 of 31 Old 12-17-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Links don't work.

If we bought subs based on weight nobody would buy the 62lb HSU VTF2 over the 72lb Monoprice 10" THX.
The image links also disappeared from the site shortly after I linked them -- but there is more to that weight than maybe a heavier amp -- however there are 2 nice choices, the JBL or the ELac for the price

----------------
Who AM I
post #27 of 31 Old 12-17-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
The image links also disappeared from the site shortly after I linked them -- but there is more to that weight than maybe a heavier amp -- however there are 2 nice choices, the JBL or the ELac for the price
Agree that they are too close to call at the excellent current pricing.

If the op is interested there is a size difference if that makes any difference.

=14w15h15d= for the Elac and =18w15h15d= for the JBL.

Geoff A. J., California
post #28 of 31 Old 12-17-2018, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

I have thought about diy. Not sure if I'd like to fit that in amongst all the other projects right now though. The place I bought was a bit of a fixer upper.

Looking at the Elacs, NHTs, sony core & JBL. My brain hurts.

I've seen a couple suggestions for the Sony bookshelves with A different center, Emotiva is one that I can remember. Is there something wrong with the Sony sscs8 center? Budget & reviews still have me teetering towards Sony. Never would've thought that.
post #29 of 31 Old 12-17-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Looking at the Elacs, NHTs, sony core & JBL. My brain hurts.

I've seen a couple suggestions for the Sony bookshelves with A different center, Emotiva is one that I can remember. Is there something wrong with the Sony sscs8 center? Budget & reviews still have me teetering towards Sony. Never would've thought that.
As long as you keep looking, your brain will hurt -- and nothing is wrong with testing the Sony center with the Sony bookshelf speakers. There are many who like the Sony center. If you decide to go with Sony and you find that you do not like the center, then return the center and buy another center.

----------------
Who AM I
post #30 of 31 Old 12-17-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Is there something wrong with the Sony sscs8 center?
Puny 4" woofers in a 2 way MTM design without even a nested tweeter = usually lackluster results. But hey, would cost you nothing to try it out for 15 days courtesy of Best Buy. As previously mentioned, some folks like it, some hate it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page